The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread

• I've at least two dreams in which I am on a high platform and I am terrified of being up there. Really intense fear that is hard to let go of when I wake up.

I am not afraid of heights IRL. I love roller coasters, have done skydiving (tandem-only) etc.

Interpretation is welcome.

• @remi said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

Hem. Yeah, let me correct what I said:
    We'd love to teach our dog to do her own garbage collection in a bag.

I have seen adverts for a sort of harness thing that holds a bag over the dog's bottom...

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Karla said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

I've at least two dreams in which I am on a high platform and I am terrified of being up there. Really intense fear that is hard to let go of when I wake up.

I am not afraid of heights IRL. I love roller coasters, have done skydiving (tandem-only) etc.

Clearly you don't have issues doing things when you're committed, but maybe unexpected expectations?

• @Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

I've at least two dreams in which I am on a high platform and I am terrified of being up there. Really intense fear that is hard to let go of when I wake up.

Clearly you don't have issues doing things when you're committed, but maybe unexpected expectations?

There is something more to it...
    Last year we were invited to a 4th of July part from a friend who had a penthouse on a 30 something floor with an amazing view of the river below where the FW were to be discharge.Many of these windows had no screen and were in easily climbing distance for my two yo at at the time.

So basically, I am more concerned with heights for my daughter than I am for me.

How much of that is helicopter parenting and how much is that she doesn't have the skills I have.

• @Karla said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

So basically, I am more concerned with heights for my daughter than I am for me.
    How much of that is helicopter parenting and how much is that she doesn't have the skills I have.

That's not helicopter parenting; that's absolutely reasonable and prudent care about the well-being of a child who doesn't yet understand danger. IMO, you'd be an unfit parent if you weren't concerned.

• I didn't think my vigilance at the 4th of July party was overly helicopter. There was a risk and I managed it. There would have been no issue with that if I didn't have my daughter.

That in no way compares to the extreme terror that heights have cause me in these recent dream. I've been in real situations where getting down is harder/scarier than climbing up.

The dreams are terrifying just walking around the platform (regardless if I have my daughter.--so I think she is secondary to the main issue.)

I've been in real situations where getting down is harder/scarier than climbing up

The human body is indeed somewhat deficient in that it doesn't have eyes at both ends.

I've been in real situations where getting down is harder/scarier than climbing up.

That seems a common issue with cats as well. And it is socially more acceptable to laugh at a cat that can't get down a tree than at a human in the same situation.

@remi said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

I've been in real situations where getting down is harder/scarier than climbing up.

That seems a common issue with cats as well. And it is socially more acceptable to laugh at a cat that can't get down a tree than at a human in the same situation.

Nah, our trees just look different.

• @flabdablet said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

We'd love to teach our dog to do her own garbage collection

...just as long as she doesn't lick your face right afterwards.

He said garbage collection, not recycling!

• FoxDev

And it is socially more acceptable to laugh at a cat that can't get down a tree than at a human in the same situation.

What if the cat was stuck at the top of a giant redwood, and the human was stuck at the top of a bonsai?

• @RaceProUK I don't know... But I remember seeing a cat that had climbed into a tree to get to a raven (yeah, dumb move from the start, given the relative size of both...). The raven was pissed off and tried to attack the cat every time it turned its back. The cat wanted to get down but had to turn around to face the raven every time. All that playing out just in front of our upstairs windows, very entertaining!

• @remi said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

That seems a common issue with cats as well

The feline body is indeed somewhat deficient in that it doesn't have claws that grip forward as well as backward.

Intelligent design? I think not.

• bites @flabdablet

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Are you feeling like you're on the brink of something terrible happening, but also, it won't hurry up and happen yet?

• @Yamikuronue said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

Are you feeling like you're on the brink of something terrible happening, but also, it won't hurry up and happen yet?

Maybe...my dad has dementia and my step-mother has said prognosis is about 3 years.

Because I was estranged from my family for so long, I don't really 'know' them. I'm stressed to say something that will push someone's buttons (plus there is a lot of infighting between everyone else). So while I want to visit...the anxiety and stress of it is quite difficult and my husband.

I'm getting emotional typing this up...so good chance this is it.

Thank you.

That seems a common issue with cats as well

The feline body is indeed somewhat deficient in that it doesn't have claws that grip forward as well as backward.

Intelligent design? I think not.

I'm pretty sure I've seen cats climb down things with their butt in front.

• Impossible Mission - B

A few days ago, after a few unfortunately-timed airplane flights left me severely sleep-deprived, I crashed somewhere around 6 in the morning and had a weird dream that I don't really remember. I woke up a few hours later, around 9, and started to go about my day, but it wasn't long before I realized that something was very wrong: everything I looked at was kind of hazy and blurry, especially around the edges, and anytime I looked at something with writing printed on it, the text was all full of gibberish and random words. It was like I had some bizarre form of aphasia, only with reading instead of speaking.

I started to really freak out about this... and then I woke up. For real this time.

That was really disconcerting. I've never had a "false awakening" dream before!

• @ben_lubar said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

I'm pretty sure I've seen cats climb down things with their butt in front.

And they don't have eyes at both ends either. Unintelligent design has forced them into an awkward choice between not being able to see what they're climbing down onto and falling off it.

@masonwheeler said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

I've never had a "false awakening" dream before!

Yeah, it's frickin annoying, especially when you manage to solve some really long-standing issues in-dream only to realize that the solutionis you came up with make no sense at all! :angry:

I'm not mad...

when you manage to solve some really long-standing issues in-dream only to realize that the solutions you came up with make no sense at all

But then it's OK once you really wake up and realize that the problems for which your dream-in-dream solutions made no sense are not problems you actually have.

@flabdablet said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

@Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

when you manage to solve some really long-standing issues in-dream only to realize that the solutions you came up with make no sense at all

But then it's OK once you really wake up and realize that the problems for which your dream-in-dream solutions made no sense are not problems you actually have.

All too often this isn't the case. 😞 It gets pretty weird when abstract problems get shoved onto Stage memory where they've not been properly instantiated (so the Stage gets to "guess" what it should represent the data as).

• area_can

The worst dream I've ever had was one where some dude in a mask was dragging and carrying people down the street using chains and straps and cages and shit

I understand that for some people, this would be a very exciting fantasy

I was pretty disturbed that morning.it was horrifying mainly because the people in the dream were screaming

• @masonwheeler said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

That was really disconcerting. I've never had a "false awakening" dream before!

Oh, those are fun. In a @ben_lubar sort of way. I remember having one of those quite a while ago.

I wake up. It's dark in the room, and I turn over to see that my girlfriend is up too. We put on some music and chat for a bit, until I realize that what's playing is a Pink Floyd CD, and I haven't owned any Pink Floyd CDs back then. "This is weird" - I think. - "Am I still dreaming?"

I wake up. It's still dark, and my girlfriend is still up. I briefly contemplate whether I've woken up or not, until the more conscious part of the brain reminds me that my girlfriend hasn't been spending the night at my place that day.

I wake up. This time it feels quite real, so I get off the bed and go about my daily routine. While putting on pants, I realize my CD player is now conspicuously missing.

I wake up. Feels just like before, so I figure I must be still dreaming, and it's up to me to find a way to wake up for real. I pinch myself and don't feel anything. I pinch myself harder and don't feel much either. I bite my arm.

I wake up. I briefly contemplate jumping out of a window Inception-style, but a) I lived in a basement back then, so that would be both difficult and ineffective, and b) I figured I'd probably kill myself off for real without realizing it's not a dream if I tried any suicide scenarios. Luckily my brain doesn't let me get too carried away.

I wake up. Well, if all that didn't work, maybe I'll ask for help. I get to my roommate's room and try to ask her to wake me up, but of course no bad dream is complete without aphasia, so all that comes out is a kind of grunt that might or might not have been audible. Either way she doesn't quite know what I want and why I'm in her room.

I wake up. I try to alert my roommate again, but my brain now decided to add sleep paralysis to the mix - if you can call it "sleep paralysis" when you're still dreaming. I struggle to roll off of my bed and crawl on the floor, before I finally make it to the door.

I wake up. I decide to go back to sleep to throw my brain off. That actually works, and I wake up.

It took quite a few more progressively more dangerous tries to finally get out of it. Of course, I instantly knew that I was actually awake - since I went to sleep at 4AM or so, it was actually quite bright outside, which my brain forgot to account for.

Unintelligent design has forced them into an awkward choice between not being able to see what they're climbing down onto and falling off it.

The margay and clouded leopard are able to turn their ankles through 180 degrees or close to climb down trees head first. Unfortunately I can't find a picture of the behaviour at present, though I know I've seen one of the margay. (These species are also able to climb along underneath a horizontal branch, or hang from one by only their tail and hind legs.)

Nightmares last night.

👻 I was drifting in and out of sleep. I heard someone talking, and then the phone went off, and I asked for it, and someone dropped it into my lap in bed. I lifted my head to look at the phone, to see if it was work or what, and I noticed that wasn't my husband. Then the person went translucent and skeletal. I screamed, and he faded away, and my husband sat up, and I was really awake.
    🥑 🤕 I dreamed everyone had to get their gender "tested". You climbed into one of these big like, taco trucks, and sat in one of the two front seats, both of which had screens in front of them, and big round buttons labelled "yes" and "no". The screens were contracted out to one of six IT firms, so every user got a different set of screens with different standards in quality. It would scan your body for secondary sex characteristics, and then ask you what your gender was. If you disagreed with its assessment it would let you know you had dysphoria; some of them had warnings so sensitive that it warned a young lady that she might be taken for a man given her lack of breast "potential", showing a 3D model of what she'd look like fully grown, with short hair and A-cups.

My stepsister decided to become a man for shits and giggles, and it warned her she could never go back, which was weird because I was able to take the test twice with no problems. It printed out some coupons and asked if she was ready to do the thing now, and she was all, uh, I guess? Can I cancel the whole thing? No? Well might as well.

It then strapped her in and uh... altered her body. With knives. And no anesthetic. I climbed out of the truck to get out of the way and she screamed something horrible. She came out darker-skinned, for some reason, with no breasts, a small penis, and new earrings (again, no idea? They were hearts with crosses dangling below).

A guy had the same idea, only he was offered the option of anaesthetic. He selected 'yes', but it said the truck had run out, and then did him anyway.

🐕 🤕 On the way home from the evil taco trucks in the above dream, a big dalmatian comes out of nowhere and bites my hand. It was dark, but there was a halo of light around me like in the game I keep watching videos of, Binding of Isaac, on a Curse of Darkness floor. The dog was bulky, like a rottweiler, but had dalmatian spots. It kept trying to bite my hand; I found out it was the fire department's dog and kept kicking it toward their station, but it wouldn't leave me be. My stepmom picked me up to carry me, but it kept going for my arm anytime it thought it could, finally attacking her leg to get her to drop me so it could bite my arm. We got back to my house and shut the door, but the dog waited outside, lunging anytime someone opened the door. We called the fire department but their dog was dead, so it was just some weird dalmatian that hated me.

• @CarrieVS said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

The margay and clouded leopard

cats 2.0

The margay has been observed to hang from branches with only one foot

cat 2.0 be chillin

• I had a dream where I went into a crappy-looking hotel, only to find a place that looked like a fantasy world, think Harry Potter sets mixed with the Hobbit ones and the whole thing given a Willy Wonka wacky/magical atmosphere (man I suck at words. But I swear it was really cool).

When I arrived to my room, it was revealed that the hotel was a sort of "oasis" set up by future time travelers. Each room was a massive dimensional bigger-on-the-inside thing containing everything you could imagine. In particular, I remember a Italian restaurant with holographic people that could be activated or deactivated so you wouldn't feel so lonely, and a sort of boat/space ship hybrid as the primary vehicle to take you around.

• This dream saved my life, right after almost killing me.

Dream starts and I find myself inside a car that has been in a high-speed collision with a large tree. All the windows are shattered; the tree is right outside the windshield and is located where the car's engine should be. Apparently, the impact was so violent that the entire dashboard has been pushed backwards inside the car. I look down and see that the steering wheel is pressing against my chest and I'm pinned against the driver's seat. In fact, I'm pinned so hard that my chest can't expand and I can't breath. I flail about uselessly while still being unable to inhale any air. Finally, now that I'm completely panicking, I grab the steering wheel and shove it as hard as I can.

I wake up. I find myself lifted completely off my mattress in a full push-up position and gasping for air. Beneath me, I see my pillow with a head-sized indentation in it.

I move around a lot in my sleep, so at some point in the night I must have rolled over on my stomach and ended up face-down in my pillow. When I started suffocating, instead of, oh say, waking me up to see what the problem is, my brain decided it was inspiration for a dream. My brain is an asshole, is what I'm trying to say.

@MZH said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

When I started suffocating, instead of, oh say, waking me up to see what the problem is, my brain decided it was inspiration for a dream. My brain is an asshole, is what I'm trying to say.

Yeah, I personally blame my apnea on having similar situations.

I dreamed everyone had to get their gender "tested". You climbed into one of these big like, taco trucks

Holy shit your brain took "guacamole" literally.

@ben_lubar Right?! Either that, or Trump promising to put taco trucks on every street corner. Or both.

was fixing microwave. Had it open and everything, wiring seemed ok. Plugged in to test, while house dimmed but did not pop breaker. Went outside to check breaker. Only major breaker partially blown. Reset, internal explosion. Bad wiring only discovered because proper device plugged in for first time.

Do not grab live wire.

• Impossible Mission - B

@ben_lubar said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

your brain took "guacamole" literally.

Guacamole: from the Spanish moler (to grind up) and guàcala. (slang: Eww! Gross!)

• Impossible Mission - B

I was in a field last night. Kind of like a cornfield, except instead of long rows of corn, there were long rows of people, men and women standing around arranged in some sort of pattern that only makes sense in dream logic. There was music in the background, it was something kind of wild and rhythm-driven, which was an odd contrast with the singing, high and slow and ethereal, sort of Enya-esque.

I started running, and the people in front of me started falling to either side and disappearing. Not falling like a person falls, more like rotating, still standing up straight, as if their feet were attached to a turning platform or something, and then they vanished when I got too close.

Eventually I reached an open area, and there was a beautiful woman there. We stepped up to each other and kissed, and her lips felt perfectly normal, and she moved just as normally and gracefully as a real person, but the rest of her skin was hard and rigid, like some sort of doll made out of hard plastic.

Then she vanished too and I thought, "I should probably wake up now." Then I saw a demon coming towards me, so I woke up before it could do something horrible.

Yes, I have very strange dreams sometimes.

@masonwheeler said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

There was music in the background, it was something kind of wild and rhythm-driven, which was an odd contrast with the singing, high and slow and ethereal, sort of Enya-esque.

That description sounds familiar...

This nights dream was about me being Spider-Man of all things. Apparently the suit required AR augmentation in order to do the Spidey Sense thing, which I designed around the PSVR using wirelessly connected cloud instances.

At some point I met up with Black Cat and as I was chasing her apparently she got an orgasm? And of course I just had to help her with that. Fun fact, apparently both our suits are not watertight, but they are one-piece enough that I couldn't remove only the parts around the crotch. Even so, messes were made.

For some reason she ended up getting caught and I ended up visiting the prison to slip her an RFID unlock chip in the form of a disposable teacup saucer. It seems that the microwave doesn't close properly unless you slam it, and while it's open the fan (which is nearly broken) runs and I ended up attracting attention to itself. Luckily I got out fine.

Later on we met up again, this time in some kind of fashion designer studio, and we worked on redesigning our suits for the purpose of "being able to use the restroom while suited up". We took advantage of the new design shortly after.

Those were the highlights at least. Other things that happened included getting in trouble with the police Commissioner who apparently can shut down the PSVR cloud (so I was forced to use my personal one instead), training inside the prison, and formulating the Web serum for the web shooters I had planned.

My dad died last Monday, we had the funeral Saturday. I still had some fighting dreams where I physically lashed out in the last few nights.

If this is the cause...I imagine it may take time for my subconscious to understand that it is over.

subconscious to understand that it is over.

Condolences.

Yeah, the subconscious seems to draw from all memories I think, preferring the most impacting.

Condolences.

Yeah, the subconscious seems to draw from all memories I think, preferring the most impacting.

Thank you.

Sadly based on my dysfunctional childhood, I don't have many good memories.

Condolences.

Thank you.

Sadly based on my dysfunctional childhood, I don't have many good memories.

Yeah, impacting doesn't necessarily mean good. :(

@Karla I'm sorry for your loss. Given your later statement, I would expect your dreams to be in disarray for quite some time. My mother still features in my dreams from time to time, and it's never a good sign

tonight's dream was interesting.

We were apparently shopping at Frys electronics for a new computer. For some reason both my mother and father were there, but I spent most of the time explaining things to my mother. At one point I got into a debate about a motherboard for sale that was inherently non upgradeable. The CPU was soldered into the board, said with the RAM, and there were no PCI slots whatsoever.

Anyways, after making it to the checkout line we discovered my uncle from long ago. Conversation happened, we found out something was happening and we needed to get to grandma's house.

I was driving my car of ten years ago (a '96 Nissan Sentra, 33 mpg fuck you very much), and managed to get lost despite the direct route to get there. Now that I'm awake, this is because apparently I drove a state away to California. Anyways, being lost I was wandering the suburbs (in my car) and some across some friends from very long ago, now aged up as appropriate, and they flag me down.

I get out of my car and speak with them. They soon go inside because it will rain. Meanwhile I try to use my phone to navigate, but for some reason my contacts list doesn't have grandma in it at all, Maps looks like fricking MapQuest and can't find the cross streets.

It starts raining, so of course I disappear all of my clothes excepting underwear.

Other things happened, and eventually Maps finds the cross streets, which are actually nearby. However it's not helpful since of course I'm actually nowhere near the destination (being unknowingly a State away) so frustration occurs. I then decide to wake up.

• sekret PM club

Mine from a couple nights ago, copy pasted from the Facebook post I originally made for it.

I dreamt of an apartment, if you could call it that. It was only known as Promise Road. Far bigger than standard apartments, this must have had four times the floorspace of a normal family home, all on one level...all full of memories. Knickknacks and items of days long past, nothing in there newer than the 70s. I was there as someone was to retrieve something, something they had thought lost.

I don't know how I entered, or how I got there. All I knew as this dream was in my mind was that I was there, and that I was to wait until they located what they were after. After what seemed like hours, I began to weave my way through room after room of items, some of it seeming like useful things of their day, some of it seeming like useless junk, possibly only kept for sentimentality's reason.

After several rooms I had the uncanny feeling of being watched, and I swore several items moved places when out of sight. As I continued on through rooms, more rooms than should exist in an apartment, these feelings got stronger. I began to sense the presence of a girl, no more than 7 or 8 years of age, but full of despair and rage and hate. Quickly I ran back to a more open room, something of a living room, though no chairs or couch existed there, only more random items scattered about. I turned to see if I was being chased, and a door behind me that I had left open slammed, as if to keep me out of those rooms I had been winding my way through, to keep their memories locked away like a vault.

Yet more rooms remained, but this time I had purpose, I would find they who I came here with, presumably to speed them on their search so that we could depart. Several more rooms I had not before seen remained, and at the end I located them, in a corner room with dirtied windows and yellowed, cracking walls. They were attempting to apply a fresh coat of white paint on one of the walls, but had not yet gotten far, only a few strokes with a paint roller had been haphazardly run along the wall's surface.

I implored this person that I really needed to leave, as I did not know what I was doing there. I relayed the events of the previous rooms, after which the paint roller dropped from their hand. Suddenly I was on my back on the mattresses that were covering most of the floor of this room, the person standing over me. In half-sobbed words, they explained that they had to strangle me now, now that I knew about her and that they had no choice. I leapt to my feet and contested this idea, at which point the dream ended and I awoke to a rather unnatural silence.

I don't normally remember my dreams. What the deus caused me to remember this one?

@e4tmyl33t said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

What the deus caused me to remember this one?

It was impactful! 😜

Sounds kinda fun, actually...

• sekret PM club

@e4tmyl33t said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

What the deus caused me to remember this one?

It was impactful! 😜

Sounds kinda fun, actually...

Maybe. I remember being really unnerved at the time.

Remembering a dream is always odd for me, since usually it's like I don't exist for a few hours. I'm laying in bed at 11:30 PM, suddenly it's several hours later and I don't know what happened inbetween.

@Karla I'm sorry for your loss. Given your later statement, I would expect your dreams to be in disarray for quite some time. My mother still features in my dreams from time to time, and it's never a good sign

Thank you.

My dream involved a new video game featuring the Donkey Kong family. In this reality, they consisted of Cranky, DK Jr, DK III, and Donkey Kong (formally DK IV, but like movie titles, simply called Donkey Kong. My dream was very clear on this point). DK Jr was killed in a horrific car crash witnessed by DK III, in which he was hit by a giant truck; he appeared to be waving for help, but later the paramedics determined he was killed on impact, and that was just a nervous system twitch. It still scarred his son considerably.

While they were in shock, the mourning process having only just begun, their cousins came over. This was another whole family, including some girls; at this point, the previously-simian characters became humans. One family was white and the other black, and it sort of became an after-school special about racial harmony as the children compared their cultural differences and declared each other "pretty cool". (I was watching Roy Wood Jr's standup before bed, I suspect that had a lot to do with this section).

Despite the shock and grief, they decided to honor their reservations at the nearby restaurant instead of hanging around the house freaking out. The restaurant turned out to have giant pens of animals inside; at first they were cartoonish, calling out how tasty they were, but later they turned realistic and didn't talk. The waiter explained the general process and how fresh the meat was, and handed out plates for the salad bar. Similar to a brazilian steakhouse I went to recently, they would bring out platters of meat, and keep refilling until everyone was full. The youngest of the DK kids (so I guess DK IV) kept asking awkward questions about the animals: were they fed organic diets, were they given access to the outdoors, did they consent to being slaughtered, were they kept from sin so they went to heaven, et cetera. He had seen a special about how turkeys' eyeballs were paralyzed upon feeding them vodka, so he was sure to ask if they were sedated before being killed and, if so, were the staff absolutely sure the animals were fine with being killed and not scared but also paralyzed. Finally the waiter's manager took them on a tour of the pens, where they could see the animals up close. The baby animals, much like in Minecraft, could slip out under the fence, so they employed border collies to herd them back in place: two adults and two pups were on duty that night. One of the adorable puppies was licking my face when the alarm went off and I awoke.

• FoxDev

@Yamikuronue said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

He had seen a special about how turkeys' eyeballs were paralyzed upon feeding them vodka

How telling is it that this is the bit that made me go :wtf:?

My dream was Going swimmingly until the last scene where I was arguing with an SJW at a water park amusement park that was starting to host a Ozzy concert. I was swimming in a pool and she was (originally) standing aside it. Eventually she was offset into the deck like a ghost.
    The whole thing started because I was part of a team trying to rescue newborn seal pups that were toddling into the ocean and being abandoned by the mother because penguins. Or something like that.