The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread

• Notification Spam Recipient

Status: Currently dreaming. I'm dreaming I need to make a post to WTF Bites regarding NDA contract regarding teaching others concepts of how to add users to a permissions table. Error unexpected ENUM

• So there has always been a dream version of places I've lived. Sometimes it's very similar to the house/apartment with some minor changes, other times it's drastically altered. However each residence I've ever resided in had one and only one dream version that was consistent from dream-to-dream.

It looks like my brain is working on the dream version of my new apartment. For some reason, it is located under an interstate highway overpass bridge, and my bedroom is outside. Like literally, just a bed outside and not under the overpass. When I wake up in the morning or have to use the restroom, I need to walk under the overpass, unlock my apartment, and go in there. It's also somewhat embarrassing to wake up in the morning when I'm not really dressed and there is a bunch of traffic up there.

In other news, last night I was dreaming about quantum field theory and harmonic oscillators.

0_1481035938949_4d9f5501ec186b510e0b95128ad9ab421a4978698088861976f1f7505ea16868.jpg

@mott555 said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

harmonic oscillators.

:giggity: keep it harmonious!

• @mott555 said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

So there has always been a dream version of places I've lived. Sometimes it's very similar to the house/apartment with some minor changes, other times it's drastically altered.

Hmm, ok.

However each residence I've ever resided in had one and only one dream version that was consistent from dream-to-dream.

Wait, what?

Is there some distinction between "lived" and "resided in" that I'm missing here? Or was the first statement referring to a single mismash sort of conglomeration of everywhere you've ever lived?

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@anotherusername I believe they meant that every prior residence has one dream interpretation, but for some residences, it's very similar to reality, while others are very far from it.

• @anotherusername said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

Or was the first statement referring to a single mismash sort of conglomeration of everywhere you've ever lived?

This, I think...

Each dream house is based upon a real place I've lived. Each place I've lived has a single dream version. Some places are pretty similar to the real place, others have nearly nothing in common.

A good example is my Grandma's house, which is a modified version of the real place. The changes include

• A second floor that is identical to the main floor, but it never gets used and for some reason I am the only person aware of its existence.
    • A secret passageway between the staircase and the closet in my grandmother's bedroom, which is illogical because they are on opposite sides of the house.
    • A trapdoor between the front porch and the basement bedroom.
    • A hidden, underground computer room accessible from a secret door in the basement living room. Nobody knows about it and I usually rediscover it each time I'm here. It is the size of a small walk-in closet, with no lighting at all, physically located under the side lawn, and has a single 486 PC set up on a small desk.
    • A secret door in the basement laundry room which leads to a set of secret rooms on the second floor of one of my other dream houses. The layout of this other house is so illogical I don't know how to describe it, yet it is pretty consistent across dreams. It does include a secret bathroom with very leaky pipes and terrible mold/rot smells, and a secret extension off my bedroom where the wall is like a one-way mirror--it looks like the normal wall from one side but is transparent from the other.

Then there is the farmhouse I grew up in, which is pretty much identical to the real place but with these changes:

• The quarter-size dirt floor basement is changed into a giant passage leading deep underground. This passage has another passage off it that leads to a giant medieval-looking stone spiral staircase tower which goes deep underground and leads to the well. The other main passage leads to the foundation which is huge a criss-crossed timber frame thing hundreds of yards underground. The frame is mazelike, dark, covered in thick cobwebs, and very easy to get lost in.
    • The storm cellar is very short. There is room to stand in the real one, but the dream version is only about 3 feet high so you have to crouch on the inside.

I have some similar places that are always the same in my dreams. Like my "high school", which bears no resemblance to either high school I attended, but which is instantly recognizable as "my high school" when I'm dreaming. There's a pool outside in a beautiful rose garden, it's a 4-6 story building straight up like the first high school I went to, but the computer labs are on the top floors while the math classes are in the basement, so I keep having to rush up and down stairs in a hurry between classes.

• @Yamikuronue My dream high school has terrible staircases that I always get stuck on. Some of them are only six inches wide with no railings and are missing steps. Others have major discontinuities in them that require you to jump or climb between landings. Some undo themselves by having half a flight go up followed by half a flight going down. Some have stupid railings between all the steps so you have to climb over a railing to get to the next step. And then there's this weird wrought-iron spiral staircase backstage in the auditorium that goes upwards somewhere, and I have never been able to go up and see what's there.

@mott555 Oh god yeah, stairs and ledges with no railings and sheer drops to your death are common in my dreamscapes. I keep like, slipping off, grabbing the ledge, being stuck, freaking out, then being back on top of them again, no problem, until it repeats itself two steps later.

Ooh, and there's stairs where when I go up they're so steep I end up going up them on all fours and then stay on all fours the rest of the dream because I can "run faster" on all fours.

• @Yamikuronue said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

I can "run faster" on all fours.

Huh, I have this as well. Running on only my legs is either slow or impossible, but if I run like a cat I can be very fast, especially if I use my hands to "grab" the ground and pull myself along.

• @mott555 ah, got it now. For some reason when I read "consistent from dream-to-dream", I misinterpreted it to mean that you also meant consistent to reality.

@mott555 said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

especially if I use my hands to "grab" the ground and pull myself along.

yes! I thought I was the only one XD

I bet it's an artifact left over from crawling as a baby or something.

@mott555 Oh god yeah, stairs and ledges with no railings and sheer drops to your death are common in my dreamscapes. I keep like, slipping off, grabbing the ledge, being stuck, freaking out, then being back on top of them again, no problem, until it repeats itself two steps later.

Ooh, and there's stairs where when I go up they're so steep I end up going up them on all fours and then stay on all fours the rest of the dream because I can "run faster" on all fours.

Dreamscapes need better testers, apparently...

0_1481043189362_Untitled.png

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Another night and I still haven't fucked any of you.

There's always tomorrow night.

@Lorne-Kates said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

Another night and I still haven't fucked any of you.

There's always tomorrow night.

I am not sure whether to be flattered or worried for your murderous tendencies.

I probably wouldn't mind, I have yet to be shown a good time....

• Last night's dream involved a locker room bathroom with a defective toilet that flushed so violently it would lob about a cup's worth of water across the room, conveniently hitting at about head-height at a urinal on the other wall.

Brain, what is wrong with you?

• My mother gave me a bunch of lockpicks as a gift. The lockpicks were bought from one of those chinese websites and came with a free pack of internet-connected plush mouse toys. The mouse toys were actually charged by putting them in the microwave for a minute, and you had to give them your Facebook username and password so they'd connect to your Facebook chat and you could give them commands remotely, but the only hardware they had was a cheap piezoelectric buzzer so it wasn't very interesting, although you could set them up to buzz whenever someone accessed your Facebook account for security. I assumed they were really just a way to harvest Facebook passwords.

I actually find it frustrating that my sleeping brain seems to be much better than my awake brain at imagining crazy things.

• So I've dreamt that I was in Venice. (Allegedly - no canal in sight, just a large plaza with a bunch of palazzos around). I'm at some university, and I'm chatting with Umberto Eco('s representation in my brain, which is again nowhere like the real thing) about classic literature and stuff.

We spend some quality time together, when it hits me.

Wait a second. But Umberto Eco is dead.

Huh. That must mean I'm also dead. I instantly assume we must be in some sort of limbo, waiting for allocation to Heaven or Hell.

We enter a movie theater. Except instead of a movie showing, it's fully lit, filled with sulphuric smoke, and with a bunch of violent crazies jumping on the seats in the bottom row.

So we're going to Hell. - I think, picking a spot at the top of the stairs. I'm a bit surprised - not for myself, but I've always thought Umberto Eco is a pretty decent guy.

But it turns out not to be so bad, and we land in purgatory. The idea of purgatory being roaming Venice for an unspecified amount of time while condemned to decades of mildly annoying foot pain.

We leave the theater and look at the edge of the city, shrouded in fog, and ponder what's beyond it. Then, of course, the alarm rings and I never find it out.

• "Why does yours spin and mine doesn't?" I think it was in reference to emoji, but that's all I remember.

• Today I dreamed I was near a bank I once worked at, and got approached by a college friend. We started chatting, I mentioned I used to work there, and he reminded me that back then, he asked me whether I could investigate why he was unable to log into the bank's website.

I worked in a totally different department, but I said "let me check" and entered the bank full-on Mitnick style - saying hi and smiling to everyone, claiming I still work here, and having every door open to me. Finally I got to a PC, logged in and took a look at the bug database.

Turns out, I did file that problem some two years before. It was pretty serious - apparently people with two identical letters in their password couldn't log in.

And I included the repro steps.

And I pointed out exactly which line of code, in which file, needs to be changed, and how.

And two years later, the bug was still hanging as "unassigned".

I also dreamed of an art exhibition which contained a pinball machine. Except unlike in pinball, you were supposed to avoid stuff. The first level had your ball be a pedestrian running around the golf course - if you got hit by a golf ball, one of the golfers would come up and yell at you.

The next level had you as a golfer playing golf on the highway. If you hit a car with a golf ball, the driver would stop and yell at you.

And the last level had you as a car driver driving on the sidewalk, and if you hit a pedestrian... you know the drill. Then the levels repeated.

Dream-me thought it was a very insightful social commentary on how all activities are good as long as they don't harm others, and how what goes around comes around, and something like that.

Then awake-me realized it's just more dream bullshit.

@Maciejasjmj said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

And two years later, the bug was still hanging as "unassigned".

:eek: the horror! 😱

• ♿ (Parody)

Zombie apocalypse. The zombies were really good at determining if you were a zombie or not...like they could see infra-red seemed to be part of that. The people I was hiding with in a fortified location came up with some sort of way to camouflage a person by smearing one's self with something like shoe polish.

So I was going to test it out. So I get all smeared up, except I'm wearing shorts and there isn't enough to cover all of my shins. Oh well. I'm also carrying a mace to defend myself with, just in case:

0_1481640696976_upload-d586f136-6953-4778-9663-abe089e7ae36

It seemed to work well enough. I was trusted enough even to take a nap for a bit, though I was worried that maybe zombies didn't normally snore and that they might be catching onto me, especially since I didn't have my CPAP.

Eventually, we (me and a couple of actual zombies) wandered back near the secret entrance of my base. For some reason, I left my mace outside and checked out the entrance, at which point I decided that I could take the zombies that were right there so I went back and grabbed my weapon and swung it at the head of one of the zombies. Unfortunately, they were onto me and had swapped it out for a hollow plastic toy version.

I think that was the end of the dream.

It started out helping grandma with some honey-do tasks. One of those was to fix the internet..
    Well, apparently that needs a premise technician, who comes out and (for some reason) decides that the best solution is to axe the nid and leave..
    This causes 🔥 for some reason, so I put that out. I then call my mom on her cell. For some reason it doesn't go through right and I end up talking to some other woman. I eventually manage to reach her, but she's been warm-transferred to me by a DSL representative. WTF.
    So, I go through my normal "Thank you for calling UVerse, blah blah blah" and she's understandably upset. Doesn't mean she's in the right place though, because she actually has CenturyLink, so I end up warm-transferring her over there.

No idea why I'm dreaming of my job from four years ago. If anyone wonders, my AT&T employee ID was HT2815. :D

• FoxDev

@Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

No idea why I'm dreaming of my job from four years ago.

Well, it might be because-

0_1483385518487_upload-25a9714a-dc97-4e30-9e22-7ec881a18047

Ah. Never mind.

@RaceProUK said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

No idea why I'm dreaming of my job from four years ago.

Well, it might be because-

0_1483385518487_upload-25a9714a-dc97-4e30-9e22-7ec881a18047

Ah. Never mind.

The title doesn't obviate the rules:.

@asdf said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

The thread title doesn't allow me to share my alternative theory, though.

It was more of a "We don't want people to bash and flame about the wackiness of your dreams". Perhaps I could have worded it better.

I'm usually pretty good at dream interpretation, but I try not to be pushy :)

@Yamikuronue said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

Yeah, it's too bad you can't edit your posts after a timeout, I would have changed the title to something more like "don't flamewar my dreams thread"

• Quite a vivid one that's stuck with me all day.

Called out to the back yard because the incinerator wasn't burning well. The inner chamber (a plastic wheelie bin) appeared to be full of wet kitchen scraps, which clearly wasn't helping. There was a nice fire going in the outer chamber (a bigger plastic wheelie bin) so obviously what needed to be done was lifting the inner bin up a bit and running a two-by-four through the handles that seemed to have appeared on its rim, to hang it over the fire in the outer instead of letting it sit down on it and crush it, so that the fire could get more air and dry out the contents of the inner and eventually burn it.

By the time I'd come back with a bit of wood, the fire had melted a big hole through the outer plastic bin and escaped, setting fire to a nearby can of peanut oil. Which wasn't OK, because there was a huge pile of cans of peanut oil. So I'm not in the back yard any more, I'm running down the street past the shops, but there's a flash-flood of peanut oil catching up and washing over my boots, which is luckily not burning yet.

So I get off the bus and look around and I'm at this kind of tent city motel, and they show me to my table, which still has all last night's rumpled and slightly smelly sheets and blankets piled up on it, so I fold those up and set them aside to make room to sit and eat my toast, and then this ancient hard-faced waitress in a starched grey uniform walks over carrying my new bedding, so I spread that out over the table which is now a canvas camp cot and I get on it and snuggle under the flannelette sheet and try to sleep. But I can't because the guy in the next bed keeps dropping hammers on the floor and I'm still worried about the peanut oil.

Then I wake up.

What does it mean, Doctor?

@flabdablet said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

My comparative intuition says you seem to be normal.
    However, I would buy a sandbag if I were you.

@flabdablet said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

Been stressed at work lately? Cleaning up old messes and having to improvise a lot? Maybe some tech debt hanging over your head?

Or maybe in a relationship of yours is in a rough patch, particularly one involving retreading old arguments?

Today's dream is sponsored by:

https://youtu.be/zpOULjyy-n8

I dreamt I was taking a call for my last job. The customer had a question that has no relevance to the company (when was it graphics card manufactured?). Still owned the call and had him install GPUz.

• Usual, very fragmented memories:
    Trying to infiltrate some sort of terrorist group; companions and I being held at gunpoint outdoors... I'm led into a room. Do they trust me? Is this a test? ... Sitting on a couch. A young, very beautiful, topless woman is reclining against me. She turns her head and kisses me. She has a moustache — not your grandmother's post-menopausal moustache, but a neatly trimmed, 1930's pencil moustache. Is it fake (it looks kinda fake), or is there some 🥑 going on? I never get to find out, because as soon as she kisses me, I wake up.

(Always in dreams involving beautiful women, when things get interesting, I wake up. In my entire life, I can count the number of times I haven't woken up before such a dream finished on the fingers of one hand, or could if I could remember them. I can remember two such occasions, and I think there were maybe a couple others.)

It was still the middle of the night, so I eventually went back to sleep. Not really a continuation of the dream (:sadface:), but connected with the earlier one, I think. On a train, an old steam train. (Thanks, @Luhmann, for the electro-swing music video.) Bad guys are shooting at us from a hill overlooking the train. One of my companions is tiny, doll size, ... maybe just a stick-figure drawing of a person. Anyway, she's getting better shots off, because she can find better cover than normal-sized people. ... Captured ... Led (at gunpoint?) into a compartment on the train. Companion (the one who was tiny, maybe?, but now normal size) is being tortured. Bad guy is running a knife through her arms and legs (covered with tattoos, more like writing than typical tattoo drawings; I think some of them are mathematical equations or something like that), then slicing outward. Bloody, but less than there would be IRL, I think. The wounds look more like science fiction plague lesions than knife wounds. Woke up.

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

Thanks, @Luhmann, for the electro-swing music video

You're welcome.

What about a mermaid dream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk-Y1SVbGMA

Over and over last night I woke up hearing the distinctive sound of car-hitting-car in my sleep and panicking myself awake.

I think I might be stressed out.

• FoxDev

I think I might be stressed out.

Either that, or you're subconsciously predicting a disaster.

Which could be stressing you out, I guess.

@RaceProUK We witnessed a car crash one car ahead of us just recently. It appears to have re-awakened some fear from the last time I was in one.

• @HardwareGeek said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

before such a dream finished on the fingers of one hand

I see what you did there and I approve.

• @flabdablet said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

I see what you did there

I was actually trying to avoid doing that, but I couldn't think of any other phrase that conveyed counting a very small number of things. I guess I could have said "count on the fingers of one hand the number of times ..." to make it unambiguous that the fingers were being used for counting, rather than something else. But posting on my phone is not conducive to careful editing.

• @Luhmann said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

What about a mermaid dream?

The music was ok (though, TBH, I prefer big-band swing to electro-swing); I quite liked the alto sax riffs. However, the video was disappointing; nothing at all to induce dreams about mermaids.

• @HardwareGeek said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

nothing at all to induce dreams about mermaids.

Try unicorns instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9auOCbH5Ns4

Try unicorns instead?

I think that's gonna be a no. While I have no particular objection to dreaming about unicorns, I guess, they have no particular attraction for me, either. And based on the preview image, that looks too close to dreaming about MLP, which is a giant NOPE! Besides, I should have been asleep already; it's way too late to watch another video tonight.

• BINNED

induce dreams about mermaids.

Sorry ... no YouTube at work so I posted blindly based on the google result

• BINNED

I should have been asleep already

If I am then this is a terrible dream ... why am I dreaming that I'm wasting time at work on tdwtf?

No dream last night, I think my brain gave up. Night before last, before the whole car thing, I dreamed I was watching youtuber NorthernLion play Binding of Isaac. The dream was literally clips of his videos put together into a "new" video. It didn't even make sense. But it was somehow oddly soothing anyway.

• FoxDev

The dream was literally clips of his videos put together into a "new" video.

Like American TV series do to pad out a season after they've blown their budget.

Try unicorns instead?

No mermaids; no unicorns. Instead, I get my ex — or someone like her — when she was young and alluring, rather than old and bitter as in present-day reality.

As usual, mostly vague, fragmented memories. Context: Backstage at some sort of Bachelor- or Bachelorette-type of show. For some reason, she demonstrates the difference in attitude between winning and losing contestants. As the losing contestant, she does exactly what she was (hypothetically) asked to do; I don't remember what that was, but it wasn't very interesting. (Note: I have never watched those shows, so I have no idea what contestants are actually asked to do.) The winning contestant's attitude was to basically ignore whatever it she was asked to do, grab me by the crotch, lead me over to a shower, kneel down in front of me, and ... jolt me wide awake at the first intimate contact. Thanks, I didn't need to sleep the rest of the night so I could function at work today.

I didn't sleep very soundly the rest of the night, but I do remember a bit of one other dream. For some reason not explained in the dream — or I don't remember it after awaking — I was being asked to interview for a job with the FBI. The dream revolved around trying to figure out what office the job was in — Danforth or Darforth or, looking a map of the offices — there were only something like four of them for the whole country — the one in question seemed to be in the west central US — Denver? That's it.

• I dreamed I had something that was a combination lawnmower, vacuum cleaner, planer, and pet groomer. I was mowing the lawn with it, but inexplicably the lawn became an indoor hardwood floor which I then vacuumed and leveled the uneven boards at the same time. After that I used it to trim a cat's hair and the cat enjoyed it which surprised me because I've never met a cat that wasn't terrified of vacuum cleaners.

Then I had to pee. For some reason, a free-standing cupboard about four feet tall in the kitchen was the bathroom, and I got mad because it was too small for me to stand in. Nor did I want to pee into the toilet from the outside with everyone in the kitchen watching me.

• @mott555 said in The Official Don't-Interpret-My-Dreams Thread:

Then I had to pee. For some reason, a free-standing cupboard about four feet tall in the kitchen was the bathroom, and I got mad because it was too small for me to stand in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6EIlKyIWWM#t=20m17s&end=21m32s

Please tell me why I dream about snakes all the time. And much of the time it is me accidentally harming the snake in some manner.

In case you don't remember, I do have a snake and like snakes.

This escalated when we first got the snake and while I was pregnant (as did my punching and kicking in my sleep)...almost the same way many woman have dreams of accidentally harming their babies when pregnant.

Some dreams are with venomous snakes and while handling I get bit.