The Impossible Mission: Group A Game Thread


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    At the sound of Zabrock hammering the wall again, Cy shook himself almost imperceptibly and looked up from the rocky patch of floor in front of his feet he had been intensely studying. "However it happened, if we're going to make sure Snib's death isn't for nothing, we need to do something." With a cross look at Biggen, "And we aren't going to be able to hump our way through that wall. It's cooling off quite a bit, we should go search and see if the pilgrims found another safer cave to ride out the inferno. Or maybe find our bearings and prepare to head back, or find a town where we can send a message to the guild. We certainly aren't going to be able to fell this dragon without help..." And all my brilliant ideas are just getting friends killed


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    Feeling a bit of the language barrier getting in the way of the panicked goblin, @Tsaukpaetra tries to calm Scai down a bit so we can regroup and recover.

    "<goblic>From what I heard and what I see, it seems Snib was stolen by the clothes monster through that small hole in the wall. I had a hard enough time when it was out in the open here in the cave, I'm not sure we could handle it in a tiny hole. I don't want to think Snib is dead, but I don't know if we can rescue him either...</goblic>"

    !roll 1d20+3 Diplomacy against Scai, let's focus on the here and now, yeah?



  • You rolled 1d20+3: 20

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 17 = 17
    Total: 20



  • !roll 1d20+14 [diplo]



  • You rolled 1d20+14: 33

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 19 = 19
    Total: 33


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Scai stares at Zabrock, clearly not understanding at first. Zabrock... punched Snib? But why would...

    Biggen's explanation causes him to pause, trying to add that alongside Zabrock's actions. The monster- he can recall Scai shouting about something, something that was eating Biggen. A glance shows that the halfling does look a little mussed. And... the thing that was trying to eat the horny one... punched his food-brother to... "Where?" he croaks. "Where soon dead thing?" he demands.



  • Zabrock is frustrated. Zabrock points at the wall again.

    Zabrock says, "Snib is there. 'soon-dead-thing' is in wall. I am punching wall. Zabrock" points to himself "can't get past wall."


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Scai gives Zabrock a long look, then studies the wall carefully.

    !roll 1d20+2 (perception)



  • You rolled 1d20+2: 14

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 12 = 12
    Total: 14


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Thanks to the fact that he was given a rather broad hint, the goblin notices the hole near the ceiling. He takes a deep breath, then nods. "Good. Go eat soon-dead-thing. Find Snib. He eat also."

    And with that, he begins to climb the cavern wall. Slowly. Very slowly. He's not terrible, exactly, but his arms aren't very long and chain mail isn't the easiest thing in the world to climb in after all. At least he knew he'd have to put his weapon away first.


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    Find Snib... go eat...? Wait, what?! Cy instinctively reaches out as though to stop Scai from climbing the wall, but then stops for a moment and looks up. A hole in the wall... well, that's probably where the monster went, then... but it looks a little tight.

    Cy tucked his dagger into the belt of his outfit, adjusting it a bit so that at least some of the glowing tip of the dagger hung loose in front of him. "Scai, slow down just a minute. Let me go ahead, check how far the hole goes before we all charge ahead. In case the monster is waiting to eat another person."

    I can't ask another person to charge in to fix my mistake. With only the slightest of hesitations, Cy checks to make sure his belt pouch, crossbow, and the dagger were secure, then readies himself against the wall and begins to climb.

    !roll 1d20+5 [ Climb ]



  • You rolled 1d20+5: 22

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 17 = 17
    Total: 22


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    By dint of longer limb and better luck, Cy is able to overtake Scai's progress rather easily. Before the goblin has made it more than ten feet up, Cy has made it fifteen. The goblin scowls and doesn't answer, just tries to speed up.

    !roll 1d20+4 [climb]



  • You rolled 1d20+4: 16

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 12 = 12
    Total: 16



  • Marzon walks over to his pony and frowns, glancing over at the scene going on by the wall. Marzon gently pats the pony on the nose and tries to wipe the soot off its coat. "You've done a fine job of getting us this far, least I could do is take care of you. If we do end up going deeper into the cave at least you have fresh water...and hey - if I do die you can have all my stuff."

    Marzon turns to the rest of the party while gesturing at the stream "We should refill our water skins if we plan on going deeper after that creature."


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    A sudden rumbling in Cy's stomach answers Marzon's suggestion. Oh, damn it all. Failing to plan is planning to fail and what have you...

    "We should probably also grab a ration pack or two out of everyone's pack, too. And maybe grab a rope, I can come back down for one or someone else can bring one up if we can see far enough to the other side that having a rope to get down will help." Though, judging by Scai's redoubled efforts to climb, if Cy climbed back down to get rations and a rope, the goblin would probably be long gone through the hole before anyone got back up there to support him...



  • Alanus sighs a little, "The... water... hm." he comments, walking to the stream again. He finds himself glancing to Edwin as well. Clerics are known for things like creating or purifying water right?

    !roll 1d20+7 [Survival? Does it seem likely to be good enough, worth warning others?]



  • You rolled 1d20+7: 9

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 2 = 2
    Total: 9


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Well, even the greenest of rangers would recognize that having dead rodents in the water would probably indicate that cleaning the water before drinking would be wise.



  • Alanus looks to Marzon, "Well, better not refill from this water unless you have a way to purify it... Note the rats..."



  • Marzon pauses briefly before turning to Alanus, "I was going to get water from upstream or one of the untainted pools, although I was hoping Edwin could purify it anyways - would rather not risk it", he quietly states while cleaning his fingernails. Trying to side-step his blunder he switches his gaze to Cy. "I'll get my rope and some rations for all of us"

    [I'll grab my rope from my Monk's kit and 14 rations]


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    Having (belatedly) taken care of the "planning" portion, Cy turned back to the execution portion of the problem at hand. Muscles that haven't been used as much since his exile to Gubaro strained, but this time in search of a friend, rather than a juvenile prank.

    !roll 1d20+5 [ Climb the remainder of the distance to the opening, if it looks wide enough to perch on, try to set myself on it and pull the dagger for a light source to peer forward... if it looks like I can shimmy in and then draw the dagger while doing a Tom Cruise impression, let's go for that... ]



  • You rolled 1d20+5: 6

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 1 = 1
    Total: 6


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Evidently one should not stop to ponder and plan mid-climb, because the next thing Cy notices is the wind being driven out of his lungs as he falls fifteen feet to the ground [5 dmg]. As he lies there on his back, he finds himself recalling one of his classmates Isaac for no apparent reason. Guy was always eating apples. Maybe Cy is hungry?

    At least he hadn't fallen on @xaade or @Tsaukpaetra , that would have just been the cherry on top.



  • Zabrock is disturbed from his daze

    "What the..."

    "What's going on?"

    "Where you hanging on the ceiling?"



  • Alanus quickly moves away from the steam and over to Cy's side, "Are you okay?"

    He takes off his backpack to start sorting through it... no... no... didn't bring bandages.... though 50ft of rope... okay, that could be useful in a moment either way, if it could reach the other side or be anchored to something. Maybe one of the group should go up with the rope, and try to secure it for the others he thinks to himself.... but first things first, Cy's continued breathing.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    !roll 1d20+4 [scai climb check]



  • You rolled 1d20+4: 8

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 4 = 4
    Total: 8


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    !roll 1d3 [empty,Alanus, Cy]



  • You rolled 1d3: 1

    Your rolls:
    1d3: 1 = 1
    Total: 1


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    And there goes Scai, hitting the ground with a thud [2 dmg]. The goblin curses ripely, needing a moment to gather his scattered thoughts.


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    The sudden impact with the ground knocked away most of Cy's breath, but not enough to prevent him from swearing loudly. In Elvish. Not so much because it was a native tongue of his, but rather because he had been fascinated with it on arrival in Gubaro. And, like most teenagers, he had been especially enraptured by a new way to swear. Of course, his chosen profanity probably didn't have much to do with falling from a wall, as there were no female beasts of burden in the area, but...

    "I think all my pieces are still here. But we probably should see about getting that rope set if we're gonna have multiple people climbing," Cy groaned.



  • Alanus gives a quick nod, "Well... I think I'm a pretty good climber, and should be able to squeeze in that space easier... Maybe I should go up, and find a place to tie the rope?" Alanus looks around for any objecting.


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    Seeing the odd rushing and falling of his comrades, @Tsaukpaetra wags his head in wonder (or is it still that headache?).

    "Are... Are we really doing this? Um... well, damn, sorry guys but I'm going to have to hang back for a bit. Don't get yourselves killed, ok?"


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    Pulling himself back up into a sitting position, Cy shook his head to clear off the cobwebs. "That makes more sense than all of us just rushing up there separately." Turning to Scai, "Let Alanus go first, and he'll send down a rope to make it easier for all of us to go find Snib, without the wall turning us all into food-paste."


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Regrettably, Scai can't be bothered to try and translate all this talky-talky noise and is attempting to climb again despite his very bruised back.

    !roll 1d20+4 Climb for 5 ft distance

    !roll 1d20+4 Climb for 5 ft distance



  • You rolled 1d20+4: 21

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 17 = 17
    Total: 21


    You rolled 1d20+4: 11

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 7 = 7
    Total: 11


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Blighter takes a running start and manages to get ten feet up, but then stalls once his momentum falters. Almost falls in fact, but just barely manages to hang to the wall.


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    Cy bites back a pretty foul description of Scai's parentage (especially since he doesn't know the Elvish version of that particular curse), and settles for a fairly loud sigh instead. "Biggen, can you translate for me? Though if Scai isn't going to stop, then I guess we're just going to have to be ready to provide support as quickly as we safely can." With a smirk, he finished, "No point in all of us turning into food-paste trying to rush through that hole." There was some fun to be had in formatting your words to goblin-speak... every once in a while, at least.



  • Alanus nods to Cy and sighs a little as he prepares to scale the wall, mumbling something about some oak tree when growing up. Treehouses? Yeah, they're pretty cool.

    !roll 1d20+6 [Climb???]



  • You rolled 1d20+6: 23

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 17 = 17
    Total: 23


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    And now Alanus is neck and neck with the goblin!


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    Knowing Scai may not be able to even reason probably at this stage, @tsaukpaetra still tries to at least get him to work with the team.

    "<goblic>Look, we want to help you, but we need to do this smartly. Let @Rednaxela scout ahead with the rope and make it easier to get up and stay up at least!</goblic>" he implores.

    !roll 1d20+3 Diplomacy. Get yourself together, man!



  • You rolled 1d20+3: 8

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 5 = 5
    Total: 8


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    By the time Alanis is finished reaching the tunnel entrance- which extends all of a few inches before becoming a far too familiar wall of black nothing- and tying a rope for Cy to follow, Scai is already gone. Once the halfling has a moment without making a bunch of noise with the rope or his climb, he realizes he can hear... a kind of wet.. crunching noise.

    That's... probably not good. This continues for a few seconds more, but just as Cy is nearing the lip of the tunnel, Scai lets out a shout, there's a shuffle and then a wet gurgle. Faced with unknowns and horror, the pair dither for a while until the darkness suddenly melts away from the Light coming from the enspelled dagger. Unfortunately, this reveals two goblin corpses: one whose head is caved in and his guts mostly eaten and the other with a clearly snapped neck. There's a bit of pale orange blood on the end of Scai's spear so... at least he had some satisfaction before... before his end.

    Moving slowly and carefully, the pair try to at least recover the remains, only to be ambushed by the accused beast yet again. Thankfully, this time they can see it, as presumably it can't do that darkness spell again so soon. Alanus ends up with a few scrapes, but they finally manage to kill the already fairly wounded monster. Once the danger is past, they can look around. Not that there's much to see- the cave is just a small ten by ten foot pocket, the ground littered with broken bones. Mostly small animals, a few from giant rats, a few from what look like some kind of burrowing animal with horns. Nothing of value, save for the goblin's gear.

    Gathering the bodies, they descend to the main cave and tell their story. Zabrock, perhaps out of guilt, perhaps out of loss, insists on taking the time to bury them, though Cy is not hard to convice in the slightest. Ten minutes later, the party is fully healed thanks to Edwin and, if not ready, at least willing to venture out of the cave to see what the landscape looks like after the dragonfire has ravaged it.

    As it turns out? Hellish. Everything is coated in ash and soot, the air heavy with an almost malignant, acrid smoke that hints at terrifying shapes but never delivers. It's hot, a deep, wearying heat that somehow makes a person sweat yet leaves their bones chilled and aching. Each breath is a chore, leaving a film of charred air on their tongues, bitter and yet alluringly spicy.

    They venture forth a little further, having to coax and compel Pony to leave the safety of the cave. For some strange reason, the poor things seems a mite bit spooked. Maybe it's the eery silence, broken only by their footsteps and the occasional moan as the wind stirs the ash in aimless swirls. Or the uneasy feeling that some mighty predator is watching them from the above, despite the empty sky. Possibly the massive shadow that's suddenly over the gro-

    Massive shadow?

    Glancing behind them, their brains shudder to a screeching halt. There's a dragon there. A gargantuan monster of blood red scales and far too many claws, fangs and other sharp points. Just... crouched on the ground, quietly chewing, half of a horse sticking out of his maw, with an almost thoughtful expression. Before they can react with more than stunned horror, he leans forward and neatly plucks Marzon and Edwin from the ground.

    Giving them a sniff, he seems to nod, then lifts off the ground without so much as a word or even sparing the rest of them a second glance.

    What... what just happened?


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    His brain almost slightly functioning enough to get surprised, @tsaukpaetra yelps out a very manly, "Aaaaahh!", then quickly stops as yelling still hurts his head just a bit.

    "Wait, did the dragon just selectively steal @Lathun and @cloak15? What was that about?"

    Casting his eyes about, @tsaukpaetra looks for anything else that might have been left behind by the dragon, though it's unlikely the stolen would have been able to drop anything...

    !roll 1d20+8 Perception



  • You rolled 1d20+8: 23

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 15 = 15
    Total: 23



  • Zabrock is still somewhat in a stupor

    He looks around and, there's Biggen, and there's Pony.

    "Wait. We never named the pony? It's just Pony?"


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Biggen doesn't notice anything... Well, there's technically some tracks the dragon left behind- it was following them for maybe twenty yards? But that's all he can see that it 'left' behind has evidence it was here.

    As for Zabrock... well, the pony was Marzon's pony, so it's a bit late to ask if he had a name for it. Suppose they can try naming it now maybe?


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    After finding the confirmation of Snib's fate... and his food-brother's valiant bit futile attempts to avenge him, Cy's left with a stunned hollowness. Somehow, he and Alanis were able to end the threat that the squid represented... somehow, they brought out the remains of the goblins out, and were able to give them a proper burial.

    But they had nary a minute to collect their thoughts; they needed to see if any of the pilgrims had survived their encounter with the dragon. And it didn't take much of a look outside to determine that the chances were very bleak. Cy could barely breathe outside the cave, even now that the firestorm had long since burned itself out. But before he could collect his thoughts, the group discovered that the dragon wasn't quite as gone as they thought he was...

    "Marzon! Edwin!" Almost instinctively, Cy turned to the cart and pony; if there's one thing their Logistics course had drilled into them, it was that being caught without supplies in the wildness was almost as bad as trying to fight a dragon... Did we somehow seek shelter in the mouth of the dragon's lair? Did it drive us here... or was it drawn by some magical amulet, perhaps the dropped box Biggen had picked up?

    !roll 1d20+5 [ Handle Animal to ensure Pony doesn't bolt ]
    !roll 1d20+8 [ K:A dragon's motivations, signs of the cave being a frequent "host location" for the dragon ]


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.