The Impossible Mission: Group A Game Thread


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    The dragon lifts his head back and makes a low, bone-chilling growl. As his head comes up, Cy notices that the dragon's left eye has a deep grove across it. Dragons being as proud and stubborn as they are... Without allowing him to second guess himself, Cy quickly (but quietly!) calls for the group's attention and guides them away.

    As the sorcerer had guessed, when the dragon dove to flame the ground, he did so with a slight slant to the right. Most predators, including most humanoids, would be inclined to go left in order to shift their sight line towards what was previously in the blind spot. But that would be admitting to a weakness and so the dragon instinctively did the opposite.

    Cy manages to time it perfectly- the dragon is committed to his dive, his head bathed in the radiance of his own flames when the party resumes running so it wouldn't have seen them. Behind them, there's a wave of heat, worse than opening an oven with your face too close but it's behind them and what more could they reasonably want at this point?

    [ No change, BONUS, a glimpse of insight into the dragon ]

     Summary
     Round 4/6 .                      Lead of 10/20.
     Turn Order :   Edwin --> Marzon -->  Zabrock --> [LP] Cy --> Alanus -->  Biggen
     Up Ahead Pool:        #27 Well, Fuck You Too, Gravity.    #34 Testudines v. Leporid     #5 Slick and Slide

  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #27 Well, Fuck You Too, Gravity [skipped!]

    #34 Testudines v. Leporid @Rednaxela

    It feels like you've all been running for hours but the sun still near the horizon makes it clear it hasn't been long at all. Given that the fire is still ongoing (and being added to, fucking dragon...), it would behoove the party to pace themselves so they don't run out of stamina before the danger is past. On the other hand, if they push themselves, maybe they can reach safety before they're overwhelmed.

    So the question is: do they go fast... or slow?

    [ Choice: Push for greater speed or keep a steady pace ]

     Summary
     Round 4/6 .                      Lead of 10/20.
     Turn Order :   Edwin --> Marzon -->  Zabrock --> Cy -->  [LP] Alanus -->  Biggen
     Up Ahead Pool:   .    #34 Testudines v. Leporid     #5 Slick and Slide       [pending]


  • Alanus finds himself thinking, that in folk tales he's always heard of dragons being formidable having quite the endurance themselves... but also that they're fast when airborne. Too fast. Furthermore, they're good hunters. Trying to hastily find some desperate hidey hole nearby seemed like an invitation to end up trapped and roasted. No, to have any hope, we have to play this... smart he thinks to himself. We'll need to hope for some degree of luck regardless... but better odds of finding a dragon-proof escape route (or the dragon plain losing interest) if we play this steady and smartly. Need to have the energy to make course corrections and thread the needle, more than energy to make a 50 yard sprint. The distance any of them could sprint would be meaningless to a dragon anyway. Alanus calls out to the others, in a not-quite-calm voice, "Steady... we can't wear out... too... fast."

    [steady pace]


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    The party moves off at a not so slow but steady pace despite their very reasonable concern about burning alive. Alanus does have a very good point after all- there's no telling how far they might have to run before they find safety and exhausting themselves could very well be the death of them all. Sure, going slower might cost them in the short run but playing it smart could really pay off in the long run.

    [ -1 Zone, -2 on the next roll, BONUS for 2 turns ]

     Summary
     Round 4/6 .                      Lead of 9/20.
     Turn Order :   Edwin --> Marzon -->  Zabrock --> Cy -->  [LP] Alanus -->  Biggen
     Up Ahead Pool:      #5 Slick and Slide      #4 Slick and Slide       #6 Rush Hour

  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #5 Slick and Slide @Tsaukpaetra

    The party heads off into the three foot tall grass, making fairly good progress as they do so. They're still keeping to their restrained pace, allowing themselves to recoup some stamina when the grass abrupt ends. A group of large herbivores grazed this area recently, leaving little fuel for the flames. But also a lot of slick… parting gifts. Time for a certain halfling to put on his dancing shoes and blaze a path through the 'mine' field.

    [ roll Acrobatics or Reflex with a +1 (-2+3) bonus ]

     Summary
     Round 4/6 .                      Lead of 9/20.
     Turn Order :   Edwin --> Marzon -->  Zabrock --> Cy -->   Alanus --> [LP] Biggen
     Up Ahead Pool:      #5 Slick and Slide      #4 Slick and Slide       #6 Rush Hour

  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    And the next act is mine dodging? Yeah, we can do this! @tsaukpaetra thinks to himself.

    !roll 1d20+7+1



  • You rolled 1d20+7+1: 28

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 20 = 20
    Total: 28


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    @tsaukpaetra has evidently been hiding a shameful past as some kind of dancer/circus performer/popcorn impersonator, based on the performance he puts on for the rest of the group. He jumps, hops and prance across the field like he's been avoiding biological waste all his life. Reaching a 'safe spot' requires a double pelvis thrust and spin jump combo in way of celebration. Landing on his feet facing the group, he goes still, almost as if he'd gotten so caught up that he'd forgotten he wasn't alone. Truly an prime example of 'being in the zone.'

    [ +1 Lead, BONUS on top of BONUS ]

     Summary
     Round 4/6 .                      Lead of 10/20.
     Turn Order :   Edwin --> Marzon -->  Zabrock --> Cy -->   Alanus --> [LP] Biggen
     Up Ahead Pool:      #4 Slick and Slide      #6 Rush Hour      #8 Tall Grass

  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #4 Slick and Slide @Tsaukpaetra

    The halfling coughs awkwardly, pauses, then shrugs. Ah, fuckit. The world's on fire, their headmaster did in fact send them off to fight an actual fucking dragon and today pretty much sucks in all possible non-fun ways. He can dance if he wants to! Glancing over his shoulder, he eyes the rest of the grazed-over terrain and nods firmly. Time to do this!

    [ roll Acrobatics or Reflex ]

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 10/20.
     Turn Order : [LP]  Biggen --> Marzon -->  Zabrock --> Cy -->   Alanus -->  Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:      #4 Slick and Slide      #6 Rush Hour      #8 Tall Grass

  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    After all, if there are no obstacles ahead that means plenty of space to keep the spotlight!

    !roll 1d20+7



  • You rolled 1d20+7: 25

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 18 = 18
    Total: 25


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    @Tsaukpaetra is probably starting to get a little tired- maybe because no-one else is willing to dance along with him and one is a very lonely number- but he still puts on a hell of a show. He spins right around and walks like an eager kin, moving as if he's dancing on a prayer. Looking back at the slowly following group, he shouts that he's never gonna give up on them even if they're all under a lot of pressure. With every breath he takes, he lives that old halfling maximum: everybody just wants to have fun. After all, they didn't start the fire, they're just staying alive.
             I'm not sorry but I'll stop
    [ +1 Lead, BONUS ]

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 11/20.
     Turn Order : [LP]  Biggen --> Marzon -->  Zabrock --> Cy -->   Alanus -->  Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:     #6 Rush Hour      #8 Tall Grass           #17 Roll the Dice


  • Something about Biggen's posturing makes Zabrock feel like he's being demanded of something. The word dances around the tip of Zabrock's mind. R. E. S. P. E.... ? What was that? And then it's gone...


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #8 Tall Grass @Lathun

    Naturally, on the other side of the over-grazed area lies more waist high grass. That does make some sense, this is the plains so it's pretty much flat ground with grass, flat ground with rocks or flat ground with just dirt. Sure, there's the occasional aberration (gods, the party hopes not!) but those are the staples. Which means Marzon needs to guide the party through it without causing them to get turned around or stumble into a depression.

    [ Survival or Knowledge Nature ]

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 11/20.
     Turn Order :  Biggen --> [LP] Marzon -->  Zabrock --> Cy -->   Alanus -->  Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:      #8 Tall Grass           #17 Roll the Dice        [pending]


  • @kaelas
    !roll 1d20+1

    Marzon frowns. 'Too bad I grew up in a monastery and not some sort of plains'



  • You rolled 1d20+1: 3

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 2 = 2
    Total: 3


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    The party rushes after @lathun for a few moments, then everyone pauses. Before them is an open area filled with herbivore droppings. And there are footprints (including some very oddly spaced small-sized ones) complete with cart tracks. Without a word, the party turns around and rushes back into the tall grass again.

    [ -1 Lead, PENALTY ]

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 10/20.
     Turn Order :  Biggen --> [LP] Marzon -->  Zabrock --> Cy -->   Alanus -->  Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:           #17 Roll the Dice        #13 It's Quiet... and that's a Good Thing        #15 Backdraft


  • Zabrock watches Marzon completely disappear after entering the waist high grass. He'd would have expected such from one of the halflings... but... :confused: He holds a hand over his eyes to block out some of the light

    "Dude! Where did you go!"


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #17        Roll the Dice @xaade
    As they plunge into the grass again, Zabrock finds himself musing over life and his place in the world. All around him is smoke and flame and chaos… and yet there is always a chance, always hope. He just has to be determined- or lucky- enough to find it. Or, you know, hope one has enough credit upstairs to get a little minor help.

    [Roll a 1d20 with nothing added. HPts can be spent on this normally, but PENALTY ]

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 10/20.
     Turn Order :  Biggen -->  Marzon --> [LP] Zabrock --> Cy -->   Alanus -->  Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:           #17 Roll the Dice        #13 It's Quiet... and that's a Good Thing        #15 Backdraft


  • !roll 1d20

    !roll 1d6 [LoH]



  • You rolled 1d20: 17

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 17 = 17
    Total: 17


    You rolled 1d6: 2

    Your rolls:
    1d6: 2 = 2
    Total: 2


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Well, @xaade isn't the luckiest of son of a perfectly fine woman, but his luck isn't shite either, so that's mostly just a wash. He does feel a touch better for having touched himself though. Errr, laid himself with his hands. He healed himself. That's what he did, he healed himself.

    [ Maintain Distance, PENALTY only if 10 or lower ]

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 10/20.
     Turn Order :  Biggen -->  Marzon --> [LP] Zabrock -->  Cy -->   Alanus -->  Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:        #13 It's Quiet... and that's a Good Thing        #15 Backdraft      [pending]

  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #13 It's Quiet... and that's a Good Thing @izzion

    The dragon has moved away from them, lost in the sky, and the air goes still in his absence. Even the fire seems to pause as if to avoid catching the beast's attention and perhaps luring it back. Perhaps now would be a good time to make some distance?

    [ roll Acrobatics or Reflex as normal)

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 10/20.
     Turn Order :  Biggen -->  Marzon -->  Zabrock --> [LP] Cy -->   Alanus -->  Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:        #13 It's Quiet... and that's a Good Thing        #15 Backdraft       #31 Plant or Mineral

  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Despite the frantic nature of their flight from the dragon, Cy found himself amused by the reactions of his teammate. Biggen seemed to be quite adept at finding a time to be flexible, even in danger, and the entire party seemed somewhat enraptured by the display. Even though they had put quite a distance between themselves and the inferno, the dragon was still circling overhead, and introspection would have to wait until they had found safety... and hopefully found Rowan and his companions as well.

    !roll 1d20+6 [ Acrobatics... hey, how about that, my completely wasted RP skill comes in handy... ]



  • You rolled 1d20+6: 13

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 7 = 7
    Total: 13


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    @izzion is able to blaze a path through the grass, but not a great one. Still, they did have to start moving again, so better him than no-one leading. Bumpy or not, any path forward is superior than standing still.

    [ Maintain Distance ]

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 10/20.
     Turn Order :  Biggen -->  Marzon -->  Zabrock --> [LP] Cy -->   Alanus -->  Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:       #15 Backdraft       #31 Plant or Mineral             #11 Up and/or Over

  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #31 Plant or Mineral @Rednaxela

    As the party heads after Cy, Alanus hops off the cart to take a shift at sprinting in order to spell the donkey for a bit. While doing so, for just a brief moment, he's able to see fairly well into the distance despite the grass and notices that a few dozen yards to the left of their current heading, there's a barren area. Probably sand or fine gravel, given the slight dust haze he sees the wind kicking up from there. This could present something of an option- running on sand or the like is surprisingly exhausting compared to even tall grass. Plus, the grit could get in their eyes. On the other hand, sand doesn't burn, which means the fire will either have to go around or wait for the wind to scatter embers just right to cross over.

    Yet again, Alanus is faced with a choice: does he guide the party to the harder to run on but safter sand or do they stay in the easily traversed but flammable grass?

    [ Pick one: sand or grass?]

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 10/20.
     Turn Order :  Biggen -->  Marzon -->  Zabrock -->  Cy --> [LP]  Alanus -->  Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:       #31 Plant or Mineral             #11 Up and/or Over       [pending]


  • Alanus thinks the notion of standing on flammable things is... the last thing he wants. Besides, after his earlier encounter with the Flaming Tumbleweed he was feeling a bit distrustful of plants. As such, he quickly makes to go for the sandy path. Sure sand was unpleasant to get between toes... but now is not the time for trivial fusses.

    [Sand]


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    @rednaxela deciding to head for the natural firebreak buys them a fairly sizable margin of safety but at the cost of making it much harder to run, particularly when it's blown into one's face by temperature differentiation caused winds. Sand is not ideal for such activities and their legs are quick to start complaining. Still, tired legs are (hopefully) less dangerous than standing in what honestly amounts to kindling.

    [ Gain 2 Zones, -2 on Acrobatics, Perception and Fortitude for 2 turns]

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 12/20.
     Turn Order :  Biggen -->  Marzon -->  Zabrock -->  Cy -->  Alanus -->  [LP] Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:      #11 Up and/or Over      [DECK SHUFFLED]      #2 Short Grass       #7 Ash Cloud

  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #11 Up and/or Over @cloak15

    The party continues running across the sandy clearing for a few moments before being faced with a startling realization. It had been gradual enough- and they're rather distracted- that they hadn't noticed, but the sandy area they're in is declining. By the time they do realize, the sides around them are all slightly more than waist high. To their right, the fire is merrily kindling. To their left, the grass lies untouched. Ahead, the path becomes a mess of sand and jagged rock that they'd never be able to bring the cart along without carrying it. It'll be a bitch, but they can still probably heft the cart up over the right side of the ridge. Of course, first, the group has to get someone up there first to help pull...

    [ Climb or Acrobatics, -2 on Acrobatics, Perception and Fortitude for 2 turns ]

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 12/20.
     Turn Order :  Biggen -->  Marzon -->  Zabrock -->  Cy -->  Alanus -->  [LP] Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:      #11 Up and/or Over      [DECK SHUFFLED]      #2 Short Grass       #7 Ash Cloud

  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    !roll 1d20+4 (Acrobatics with a hero point in the hopes of not killing myself)



  • You rolled 1d20+4: 14

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 10 = 10
    Total: 14


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    @cloak15 is not the most graceful of jumpers, given the heavy armour he wears, not to mention the burning ache in his calves, but he makes it up. Eventually. The fire is already burning merrily on the far side of the gap by the time the party manages to finish hauling the cart and everyone else up, but at least they were fast enough not to lose any time.

    [ Maintain distance, -2 on Acrobatics, Perception and Fortitude for 1 turn ]

     Summary
     Round 5/6 .                      Lead of 12/20.
     Turn Order :  Biggen -->  Marzon -->  Zabrock -->  Cy -->  Alanus -->  [LP] Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:   [DECK SHUFFLED]      #2 Short Grass       #7 Ash Cloud         #6 Rush Hour

  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #2 Short Grass @Tsaukpaetra

    Thankfully, it appears that the grass on this side of the sand crevice is rather shorter than the other side was. For now at least, which is honestly all the time Biggen can really afford to care about under the current circumstances. Not as much of an opportunity to show his skill, but someone has to take point and blaze a path- might as well be him!

    [ Acrobatics or Reflex, -2 on Acrobatics, Perception and Fortitude ]

     Summary
     Round 6/6 .                      Lead of 12/20.
     Turn Order : [LP]   Biggen -->  Marzon -->  Zabrock -->  Cy -->  Alanus --> Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:   [DECK SHUFFLED]      #2 Short Grass       #7 Ash Cloud         #6 Rush Hour

  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    @tsaukpaetra decides perhaps the show should begin winding down. But, we're not done yet! It's too bad this grass isn't as stupid as the ones from Orringale.

    Couldn't hurt to try though, right? Calling out in humor towards the field, "Féar dúr, lay flat!"

    !roll 1d20+7 Reflex for when the grass inevitably fails to provide easy passage.



  • You rolled 1d20+7: 10

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 3 = 3
    Total: 10


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    His words still ringing out across the plains, @tsaukpaetra steps forward and promptly stumbles when his foot catches on a knot of tangled grass. He manages to catch himself before utterly face planting but his stumble-shuffle dance is much less impressive than his last few offerings. More than a little disheartening to the rest of the group, truth be told, seeing the dance master fumble like that...

    [ Maintain Distance, PENALTY ]

     Summary
     Round 6/6 .                      Lead of 12/20.
     Turn Order :  [LP] Biggen -->  Marzon -->  Zabrock -->  Cy -->  Alanus -->  Edwin
     Up Ahead Pool:      #7 Ash Cloud         #6 Rush Hour           #1 Natural Firebreak


  • Zabrock is stumped. The human disappeared into the waist high grass as if he were a halfling, and now the halfling manages to disappear into the knee high grass... as if he were a goblin... Zabrock is concerned for Snib and Scai, and looks around for ankle high grass'


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #7 Ash Cloud @Lathun

    The fire seems to be having some issue crossing the sand gully, but, alas for the party, the wind is having much more success. A particularly strong gust carries a load of hot ash and burning embers towards the party. Someone is going to have to tough it out and keep their eyes open so they don't get lost.

    [ Fort Save under PENALTY ]

    Summary
    Round 6/6 .                      Lead of 12/20.
    Turn Order :   Biggen -->[LP]  Marzon -->  Zabrock -->  Cy -->  Alanus -->  Edwin
    Up Ahead Pool:      #7 Ash Cloud         #6 Rush Hour           #1 Natural Firebreak]


  • @kaelas
    !roll 1d20+4 [fort]



  • You rolled 1d20+4: 12

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 8 = 8
    Total: 12


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    @lathun tries his best, but can't quite manage to keep his eyes open for more than a few seconds before a still slightly smoldering ember near blinds his right eye. The party tries to stick together, but trying to run with your eyes mostly closed is no easy task. Finally the wind dies down and the party can find their bearings. Alas, Marzon's eyes are stinging furiously and the entire party is disoriented.

    [ Maintain Distance, PENALTY, 2 dmg to Marzon ]

    Summary
    Round 6/6 .                      Lead of 12/20.
    Turn Order :   Biggen -->[LP]  Marzon -->  Zabrock -->  Cy -->  Alanus -->  Edwin
    Up Ahead Pool:       #6 Rush Hour           #1 Natural Firebreak            #30 Muscle Cramp

  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #6 Rush Hour @xaade

    As the party blinks their way back to sight, they're presented with a rather jarring sight. Running alongside them, not more than five feet away, is a... pack? wing? flock? group of orns. They don't seem particularly hostile- in fact, they mostly appear disoriented, likely due to having just been subjected to the same cloud the party had been through. Still, they're recovering as well and Zabrock, as the closest, has to quickly- very quickly- figure out how to react to this.

    [ Knowledge Nature or Handle Animal, under PENALTY ]

    Summary
    Round 6/6 .                      Lead of 12/20.
    Turn Order :   Biggen -->  Marzon --> [LP] Zabrock -->  Cy -->  Alanus -->  Edwin
    Up Ahead Pool:       #6 Rush Hour           #1 Natural Firebreak            #30 Muscle Cramp
    popcorn


  • Zabrock sees if he can make some room for his team without startling the group

    !roll 1d20+3 [handle animal]



  • You rolled 1d20+3: 21

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 18 = 18
    Total: 21


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    The orn at the head of the pack, who is also both the largest and the only one with a feather crest, lets out a loud hiss. It starts to hunch down in order to get into an attack stance but falters as Zabrock lets out a... warble? It doesn't sound like any bird any of the party can ever recall hearing but it sounds... happy? The orns all kind of stare at Zabrock blankly, clearly unsure what to do in response to the half-orc's actions. After a moment, the alpha bird lets out an awkward wark before gently nudging their pack away from the party. It seems that whatever the paladin asked/said but it seems to have settled things peacefully so... that's a win?

    Rather amusing to the party as well, giving them a much needed jolt of stress relief. Regardless, the orns rush off, blazing a path through the grass that the party can follow. The grass springs back in place rather quickly and the orn are much faster than the party so this advantage won't last long but while it does...

    [ +2 Lead, BONUS ]

    Summary
    Round 6/6 .                      Lead of 14/20.
    Turn Order :   Biggen -->  Marzon --> [LP] Zabrock -->  Cy -->  Alanus -->  Edwin
    Up Ahead Pool:       #1 Natural Firebreak            #30 Muscle Cramp            #32 Taking One for the Team


  • Zabrock is surprised that literally saying the word 'Warble' in a loud deep monotone voice worked. Sometimes it's not skill or knowledge, but pure luck that wins.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    #1 Natural Firebreak @izzion

    The orn pretty clearly know this area rather well, as mere seconds after following the avians, the party finds themselves crossing over a twenty foot ribbon of churned gravel and loose rocks. None of the party is a geologist or the like to have much of an idea how or why such a feature would form, but it serves well as a barrier against the inferno's approach. Provided, of course, that the party is able to keep from tripping or skidding on the loose footing and wasting that precious advantage.

    [ Acrobatics or Reflex with BONUS ]

    Summary
    Round 6/6 .                      Lead of 14/20.
    Turn Order :   Biggen -->  Marzon --> Zabrock --> [LP]  Cy -->  Alanus -->  Edwin
    Up Ahead Pool:       #1 Natural Firebreak            #30 Muscle Cramp            #32 Taking One for the Team

  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Inspired by Biggen's dancing and Zabrock's bird whispering, Cy finds himself highly focused, his mind hearkening back to the days before he was banished from his house, and the great pranks he had pulled on the various girls in town.

    !roll 1d20+9 [ Acrobatics with BONUS ]



  • You rolled 1d20+9: 11

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 2 = 2
    Total: 11


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.