The Impossible Mission: Group A Game Thread



  • The blow connects, shattering most of the monster's ribs and fracturing the ulna of the left arm. It looks pretty bad off but still upright. Disturbingly, other than the sounds of cracking bone, it doesn't make a sound or even seem to react beyond what the force of the blow itself makes it.



  • Alanus nods confidently, glad the blow connected so well. Just one or two more his like that... he thinks to himself. Well probably.... he's not that familiar with creatures such as these.... but surely they couldn't operate if their torso was too smashed to support their upper body right? Probably? Will see...

    He grits his teeth and prepares for the worst as he waits for the counterattack though.... because surely looks to him as if there will be one...



  • As @Rednaxela might have expected, the blood smeared skeletons on his side of the battle take the bait and rush him. Neither bother to draw the pitted swords on their belts, instead attempting to rip his body apart with their bare hands. Well, given their condition, 'claws' might be more accurate.. The first manages to catch him off guard with the first swipe [4 dmg] but after that he manages to recover his poise and defend himself.

    Snib and Scai, perhaps surprisingly, don't simply flee the fight. They do shift to the side, moving to flank the less scary skeletons but they remain in the fight. Snib attacks first, an almost beautiful strike that neatly slips right between the fourth and fifth rib to slide up into... there aren't any organs, that was very ineffective. Snib pauses a moment, then curses ripely in goblin. Scai stares a moment, his brain working furiously. There's no soft bits to stab or slash. So... ummm... dirt weasels. Well then. As is often the case, when in doubt, a goblin solves his problems by using his greatest source of inspiration.

    His stomach.

    When you want to suck some tasty marrow, you bash the bones with a rock. So... he needs a rock. and there's bunches of rocks right at his feet. Stooping quickly, he grabs a rock in his free hand to use as an [improvised] club. Clumsy but at least there's a chance he can actually deal some damage... A chance anyway. And evidently the deities do indeed love fools and drunks, because Scai manages to hit the skeleton in the spine hard enough to shatter it entirely. The skeleton falls to the ground in two pieces, then dozens, then hundreds of pieces as the bones separate. Looks like Alanus was right about his guess that they can't function if too badly damaged. Well, the non-bloody ones at least.

    to the east, the three 'clean' skeletons rush at the nearest living things- the still tethered horses. Rearing and bucking as best they can, only one of the blows connects on the poor beasts, a painful but fairly shallow gash across the shoulder of one of the pilgrims' horses.

    [ @Tsaukpaetra is up next]


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    @Kaelas said in The Impossible Mission: Group A Game Thread:

    up next

    @Tsaukpaetra moves East to face off the nearest skeleton, aiming to slice it up with the machete. Maybe if he can smash its legs it won't be such a threat anymore?

    !roll 1d20+4 Attack with Machete!
    !roll 1d4+2 damages



  • You rolled 1d20+4: 7

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 3 = 3
    Total: 7


    You rolled 1d4+2: 5

    Your rolls:
    1d4: 3 = 3
    Total: 5



  • The blow goes wide, the dim lighting and uncertain footing of wild ground throwing the ranger's attack off. Before he can do much more than curse a bit, the closer of the two bloody skeletons move in. One goes to attack the already wounded horse to limited but still serious effect while the other gashes four lines across @Tsaukpaetra 's face [3 dmg] with one hand while the other grabs his upper arm and rips a small handful of flesh away [6 dmg]. Fuck that has to hurt... And the horse isn't doing super great either at this point. Probably won't last another flurry from the trio of undead harassing it.

    [ @xaade is up.]



  • Zabrock moves to the bloody skel near Biggen
    "Watch out Biggen!"

    He takes a swing at the bloody skeleton

    !roll 1d20+4
    !roll 1d8+3



  • You rolled 1d20+4: 24

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 20 = 20
    Total: 24


    You rolled 1d8+3: 5

    Your rolls:
    1d8: 2 = 2
    Total: 5



  • !roll 1d20+4
    !roll 1d8+3



  • You rolled 1d20+4: 21

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 17 = 17
    Total: 21


    You rolled 1d8+3: 8

    Your rolls:
    1d8: 5 = 5
    Total: 8



  • @xaade spins his wrist as he rushes the skeleton to build up momentum for the heavy weight on the end of his flail, then sweeps his arm upwards as soon as he's within range. The spiked ball rips upwards through the ribcage to slam into the skeleton's jaw, lifting the monster cleaning off its feet to come crashing to the ground, unmoving. Strangely, Zabrock doesn't seem to spot a single bit of bone go flying- a second look shows that once shattered, the bones seem to ooze a thick, dark red... paste that prevents them from falling apart. Still, it doesn't appear to be animated at the moment so...

    [ @Lathun is up]



  • Marzon moves on top of the bloody skeleton's corpse and hacks at the skeleton near his war pony
    "Stay away from my pony!"

    !roll 1d20+6 (4 dexterity + 1 BAB + 1 Weapon Focus)
    !roll 1d4+4 (Peircing damage)



  • You rolled 1d20+6: 21

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 15 = 15
    Total: 21


    You rolled 1d4+4: 8

    Your rolls:
    1d4: 4 = 4
    Total: 8



  • The dagger flashes in the wavering firelight, the arc strangely brilliant despite the poor illumination. @Lathun manages to connect easily enough but the blade finds little purchase on the hard round bones. It nicks the skeleton's shoulder blade and skitters over the back of the skull but it doesn't seem nearly as effective as such a well place strike should have been. Not entirely useless- in fact the skeleton seems to waver for a moment before correcting itself- but clearly reduced impact.

    [ @izzion is next]



  • His mind racing as the battle unfolded in front of him, Cy let out a cheer of exhilaration as Alanus and the goblins both scored serious hits against their targets. Cy was pondering Edwin's warnings in his mind... No cold spells, careful of the weapons... when the sound of the terrified and injured horses broke through his hesitation and jolted him back to the battle.

    Surveying the scene, he saw that Zabrock and Marzon seemed to have things well in hand near Biggen and their wagon. Judging by the positioning of Zabrock and the downed bloody skeleton, it seemed that the half-orc's battle prowess was showing through once again. Since the introductory drubbing he had received from the paladin in the salle, Cy had been determined not to let Zabrock show him up again...

    As the bloodlust and excitement surged through him, Cy felt his power surging to answer it. This time, he was ready for the surge, and he confidently directed one burst of energy down each arm, letting the crossbow hang loose in front of him as he directed each hand in turn at the skeleton directly in front of the pilgrims' horse.

    "Begone from here, you foul creatures!"

    !roll 1d4+1 [ Cast Magic Missile, targeting the purple standard skeleton ]
    !roll 1d4+1 [ Hero point for 2nd standard action, Magic Missile targeting the purple standard skeleton or redirect to the pink standard skeleton if the purple one appears downed after the first missile ]

    [ @Kaelas for damage / reactions before my move action ]



  • You rolled 1d4+1: 5

    Your rolls:
    1d4: 4 = 4
    Total: 5


    You rolled 1d4+1: 3

    Your rolls:
    1d4: 2 = 2
    Total: 3



  • The arcane missiles careem into the night with their innately unerring accuracy. The first skeleton finds itself swiftly missing its head as the spell pulverizes it, which in turn causes the rest of the skeleton to fall apart. The second missile is less successful- it connects of course, but it merely blows off an arm (and most of the shoulder, admittedly) and the foe is still upright and moving.

    [ @cloak15 is up next]



  • As his two missiles struck home, Cy grinned from ear to ear. Careful not to spend too long admiring his (and his teams') handiwork, Cy stepped a bit forward to ensure he could maintain a clear line of sight to the remaining skeletons and that he wasn't too far out of reaction range from the others.

    "Rowan, if you stay with Edwin or me, we should be able to more easily dissuade any skeletons from getting too familiar."



  • Edwin brandished his shield towards the group of skeletons near the goblins and Alanus. Hopefully if he can alleviate them of their burden, then they could continue their efforts on the other group. Muttering a quick prayer to Thyr, he holds his shield out towards the skeletons.

    !roll 1d6 Channel Energy at the undead



  • You rolled 1d6: 1

    Your rolls:
    1d6: 1 = 1
    Total: 1



  • The skeletons recoil at the blazing golden light that washes over the battlefield. The two blood-covered skeletons do seem more resistant to the radiance but they all seem to take damage from the attack.

    [ perception free action from @Rednaxela due to proximity please]



  • !roll 1d20+1 (Alanus Perception)



  • You rolled 1d20+1: 18

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 17 = 17
    Total: 18



  • @Rednaxela had noticed that the damage he'd dealt earlier had been somewhat strange- the bone had broken as it should when struck, but the almost but not quite rotting blood had held the fragments together for the most part. However, after Edwin's attack, the blood seems to be just a little less adhesive causing some of the smaller fragments to fall to the ground.

    [ and back to @cloak15 to finish]



  • Edwin frowned slightly, but remained resolute. "Alanus, Try to lure them towards the rest of us!" If they could be moved closer, it was possible he could to more in putting them down for good while also being able to better attend to keeping the group alive. Cy, try to concentrate on the ones with blood on them." They did not seem normal, and if his knowledge of the basic ones was correct, then they were well capable of fighting them.

    He moved closer to Zabrok and Biggen, muttering another prayer and concentrating on his allies instead of the skeletons, hoping to bolster them.

    (Move and use Hero Point to use Channel Energy again)

    !roll 1d6 Channel Energy on Party



  • You rolled 1d6: 6

    Your rolls:
    1d6: 6 = 6
    Total: 6



  • Instead of golden light that has the appearance of flame, a wave of golden water-like light brightens the dusk for just a moment. Not only @Tsaukpaetra but also the horses find their wounds closing and pain receding. The blood covered skeleton nearby twists slightly to face in Edwin's direction but the skeletons otherwise don't seem to react.

    Rowan grabs a properly shaped big of firewood to use as a club before rushing around the back of the wagons towards the skeleton Cy had disarmed (sorta). "We can't afford to lose any of the horses!" His attack on the skeleton is unsuccessful- well, in doing any damage. He does manage to redirect its attention away from the horse... and towards him.

    Across camp, the party hears some chanting but no shouts, either in pain or angry. There are a few bursts of light and the sound of wood hitting bone from time to time, but the only vocalizations are prayers- even the dogs are grimly silent. And then, because the deities aren't done laughing, they see more hands digging out of the ground. Another normal skeleton on each flank emerges, as well as another blood-smeared one near @Rednaxela and the goblins.

    One of the first wave skeletons takes a swing at Scai but the wary goblin ducks under the blow easily..

    [ Red's turn]



  • Alanus takes a short step backward... so many skeletons he finds himself thinking... and such troublesome ones... As he takes his step backwards, he drops his remaining sword to free a hand to load his sling staff with a bullet, which he subsequently makes to quickly launch at the skeleton he already hit once.

    [5 foot step back][drop remaining sword as free action][use move action to load bullet in sling staff][fire sling staff BUT with fighting defensively for +2 AC till next turn...]
    !roll 1d20+1+1+4-4 (Ranged attack roll, +1 small size, +1 BAB, +4 dex, -4 fighting defensively)
    !roll 1d6+2 (Damage in case it hits)



  • You rolled 1d20+1+1+4-4: 21

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 19 = 19
    Total: 21


    You rolled 1d6+2: 6

    Your rolls:
    1d6: 4 = 4
    Total: 6



  • The small rock slips right between the opening in the rib cage under the breastbone and connects with the spinal cord with a loud crack. The skeleton almost folds in half as the spine gives way, causing the undead to flop the group. Again, however, Alanus notes that the bones don't scatter as the bones of the skeleton the gobs killed did thanks to that weird blood paste the broken bones ooze.

    The other of the two original bloody skeletons follows after him, but despite the unnaturally fast movement of its claws, the ranger is just barely able to deflect the first strike with the haft of his weapon. The second strike is much less close, thankfully. Snib and Scai, showing again their surprising grasp of tactics, move in unison towards Alanus to try and present a unified wall to reduce the odds of any of them being flanked. Regrettably, despite them both now wielding stones, neither are able to harm the basic skeleton they're attacking.

    Near the wagons, the two normal (well, they're moving, so not really normal exactly) skeletons attack Biggen and Rowan, but neither manage to connect with their uninspired and rather simple-minded strikes.

    [ @Tsaukpaetra is up next]



  • Cy winced as Rowan ducked away from the attack of the skeleton. "Guys, we need to get some help over to Rowan very quickly..."


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    @Tsaukpaetra grimaces, "Rather scratchy things, aren't they?"

    Flipping his machete around to attack using the flat side of the blade, he moves to slap the skeleton with vigor!

    !roll 1d20+4-4 Improvised weapon attack on Orange Skeleton
    !roll 1d4+2 potential damage



  • You rolled 1d20+4-4: 8

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 8 = 8
    Total: 8


    You rolled 1d4+2: 4

    Your rolls:
    1d4: 2 = 2
    Total: 4



  • @Tsaukpaetra is unable to adjust quick enough to the very awkward grip he has to take in order to attack like this and his attack fails. Nearby, the blood smeared skeleton already clear of the ground steps away from attacking the horse to lurch towards @Lathun . Dirt and horse blood caked fingers lash out and one catches the swashbuckler in the abdomen where it doesn't get through his armour but nevertheless leaves a bruised rib or two [5 dmg].

    [ @xaade is up]



  • Zabrock, wanting to ensure Biggen is out of danger for now at least, goes to finish off the skeleton in front of him. If he can kill, err, rekill it, then he can move into its spot and block the nastier one from attacking any of the softer folk behind him...

    !roll 1d20+4 (AR)

    !roll 1d8+3 (dmg)



  • You rolled 1d20+4: 7

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 3 = 3
    Total: 7


    You rolled 1d8+3: 10

    Your rolls:
    1d8: 7 = 7
    Total: 10



  • Unfortunately, the blow goes wide, though thankfully it doesn't hit Biggen or Marzon.

    "Crud!"

    [ @Lathun is next]



  • "Zabrock, get the bleeding one! I'll handle this one." Marzon says as he nods towards the non-bleeding skeleton. Marzon raises his buckler, eyes flicking towards the bleeding skeleton on his right.

    Action: Fight Defensively !roll 1d20+2 (4 dex + 1 BAB + 1 WF -4 Fighting Defensively) [grants +2 AC]
    !roll 1d4+4 (piercing damage)

    Going to use Opportune Parry on the bloody skeleton if it attacks me
    !roll 1d20+2 (Still fighting defensively)



  • You rolled 1d4+4: 6

    Your rolls:
    1d4: 2 = 2
    Total: 6


    You rolled 1d20+2: 4

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 2 = 2
    Total: 4



  • [Whoops forgot to put first attack on a separate line, the d20 above is my parry roll]
    !roll 1d20+2



  • You rolled 1d20+2: 19

    Your rolls:
    1d20: 17 = 17
    Total: 19



  • Zabrock apologizes

    "Sorry, mind was distracted. Apparently something stupid took over."



  • Marzon's attack easily bypasses the skeleton's mostly indifferent attempts at defense but merely slips and slides along the curved bones harmlessly. But while the knife's edge proves nearly useless, the careful placement of the blow itself knocks the rickety foe to over balance, which causes it to fall to the ground and shatter apart.

    That leaves a fully intact bloody and regular skeleton, plus a damaged one, over by the wagons to deal with. Which is great, as there are four undamaged skeletons, two of each type, on the other side of the battlefield.

    [ @izzion goes next]



  • Well, I suppose I would probably be pretty reckless to save one of my teammates too... Cy thought as he watched Rowan hurry across the battlefield to help the horses. I'll be damned if I leave Rowan without backup, though.

    Pointing his right arm at the skeleton near Rowan, Cy chanted shortly and summoned energy to direct toward the skeleton once more.

    "Rowan, look out!"

    !roll 1d4+1 [ Magic Missile at Pink Skeleton near Rowan ]



  • You rolled 1d4+1: 5

    Your rolls:
    1d4: 4 = 4
    Total: 5



  • And now there's only two skeletons near the wagons, as the arcane energies fired by @izzion shatter the damaged skeleton into tiny bits. "Th-thanks!" the young man in question calls back.

    [ @izzion for move action if desired or @cloak15 for his turn]



  • As the skeleton shattered under Cy's attentions, he allowed himself a small smile before turning to the other flank of the battle. He turned toward Alanus and the goblins, but maintained his position. Close enough to aid, far enough to avoid danger, he thought, repeating the mantra of his introductory Sorcerer tactics class. Though I'm not sure how much longer I can keep providing aid, since these skeletons aren't harmed by cold...



  • Edwin brandished his shield again. "I may be prudent to draw the other skeletons closer to us. I can only affect those undead within a limited range." He hoped that would spur the others into action so that he may assist all of them. He gave another prayer to his god to help in disrupting the force that was keeping these bones from resting.

    (Channel Energy against the Skeletons)

    !roll 1d6 Channel Energy



  • You rolled 1d6: 6

    Your rolls:
    1d6: 6 = 6
    Total: 6



  • In response to Edwin's admonishment, Cy called out, "Hey, Biggen, can you ask Scai and Snib to move toward us after they attack the skeleton?"

    [ @Tsaukpaetra ]


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.