Dreams

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Karla said in Dreams:

I totally forgot the link in my previous post:

Because going home to eat out is never an option?

Wait a minute, that sounded cleaner in my head before :giggity: Engine tweaked it on the way to the output buffer...

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Karla said in Dreams:

Filed under: well that escalated quickly

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

@Magus said in Dreams:

At uni, one of my friends told me that he almost always lucid dreams, and really likes that because he can just suddenly be like, "Oh sweet, I'm in a dream! Time to flyyy!" and fly off.

I have been able to do that once. It was during a zombie apocalypse dream taking place in one of the science buildings at my current university, which mysteriously had more laboratories than it actually has, and one of the labs had a lion and a massive alligator in it. I didn't mess with the alligator, but me and the lion worked together to take out some zombies. Oh, and for some reason the staircases were built out of egg crates, and I pushed them over after some other students got up, to keep the zombies from following, and then I ran out one of the doors and realized I was dreaming, at which point I looked out on the small forest in front of the doors (which is not actually there) and willed a strong wind to blow the zombies in it away, then flew to a nearby mountain (which is not there) and looked around at a scene that looked like it was out of a movie, with beautiful snow-capped mountains and an incongruous 2-lane highway behind me, with a couple of zombies on it. But then for some reason I had trouble flying again as they got closer, and I woke myself up with my insistence that I was dreaming and should thus be able to fly still.

@HardwareGeek said in Dreams:

@mott555 said in Dreams:

Most of my dreams are lucid. Not full-on lucid where I can control everything and do whatever I want (that never happens), but I am almost always aware on some level that it's just a dream and not reality.

Unlike my ex-wife. She would dream that I had done something that made her angry, and she wouldn't realize it had been a dream even after she was awake. I'd have to convince her that she had been dreaming and that I hadn't actually done whatever it was she had dreamed. Even when it was obvious that it was the middle of the night, she had just woken up, and we were in bed together, not whatever situation she had been dreaming about, it required at least a little convincing. And even then, I think she still sometimes clung to a lingering belief that I had done whatever it was — not just then, maybe, but at some time. Vivid dreams, but definitely not lucid.

My mom's done that sometimes, her reasoning is that she knows it was a dream, but it just makes so much sense to her that, in that situation, that's what you would do, so that's why she's mad.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Karla said in Dreams:

We use the version of asking what we want for dinner, because eating out is expensive.

• @boomzilla said in Dreams:

Eventually I realize it's a dream and wake myself up and take care of business.

Adulthood: being able to take a long, slow, satisfying piss in a dream without waking up and without wetting the bed.

• @mott555 said in Dreams:

we did have one rambunctious and occasionally-violent bull back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqFI8_LOmI#t=2m26s&end=3m32s

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said in Dreams:

I could run without feeling like I was in molasses

I'd love to know how you managed to do that. That feeling is so frustrating, and it makes for unrestful sleep.

Maybe you need to sleep on your side?

I've never had that molasses feeling or otherwise been unable to walk in a dream.

• @flabdablet said in Dreams:

Adulthood: being able to take a long, slow, satisfying piss in a dream without waking up and without wetting the bed.

Then waking up worried that you weren't just dreaming. Whew, I was. But since I'm awake, ...

• @boomzilla said in Dreams:

@Karla said in Dreams:

We use the version of asking what we want for dinner, because eating out is expensive.

This does not exclude eating what is in the house.

@Karla said in Dreams:

@Karla said in Dreams:

Well if you're in the house... ;)

• 🚽 Regular

@mott555 said in Dreams:

Most of my dreams are lucid. Not full-on lucid where I can control everything and do whatever I want (that never happens), but I am almost always aware on some level that it's just a dream and not reality.

Unlike my ex-wife. She would dream that I had done something that made her angry, and she wouldn't realize it had been a dream even after she was awake. I'd have to convince her that she had been dreaming and that I hadn't actually done whatever it was she had dreamed. Even when it was obvious that it was the middle of the night, she had just woken up, and we were in bed together, not whatever situation she had been dreaming about, it required at least a little convincing. And even then, I think she still sometimes clung to a lingering belief that I had done whatever it was — not just then, maybe, but at some time. Vivid dreams, but definitely not lucid.

My Ex would frequently get dreams where I'd cheated on her. Then she cheated on me and is now engaged to the guy...

I keep having dreams about drowning to death in a submarine. I've never been a sailor, I'm inland and it doesn't make any sense. I think my mind just hates me.

• area_pol

In my dream a friend asked me to copy some files from his iphone. I attached it with an USB cable to my computer but my desktop (Linux) stopped responding to commands and started to look like Windows 95.
    I reminded myself that to avoid this problem I need to set the iphone into "USB mount mode", so I tried to write "usb" into some search bar on the device.
    But because of current fashion, the on-screen keyboard was in a form of a shattered circle (shards = keys) and of course the symbols were not shown on the keys, so I could not write anything.

(in reality, I have never used an iphone for more than 5 mins)

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Dreams:

@Karla said in Dreams:

@Karla said in Dreams:

Well if you're in the house... ;)

Doesn't change anything.

He asks most nights when I come home from work. Unless I have a specific craving...just please feed me (taking into consideration all of my pickiness).

@Adynathos said in Dreams:

But because of current fashion, the on-screen keyboard was in a form of a shattered circle (shards = keys) and of course the symbols were not shown on the keys, so I could not write anything.

0_1472682797757_upload-a23a9e45-c117-4c4e-848e-3eaba617f5ec

???

Or maybe

0_1472682612816_upload-6273e62b-80b7-468e-bdbe-c03078b10b78

I remember someone also made a predictive-text keyboard based on continuously flowing letters where you just moved your finger to "catch" the next letter to make up words. Forgot where it was though.

@Karla said in Dreams:

when I come home from work.

:giggity:

Come on, will nobody take the bait anymore?!?!

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Dreams:

Because going home to eat out is never an option?

"Let's go home and eat out!" Hmm, stealing that one for purposes.

(in reality, I have never used an iphone for more than 5 mins)

You still managed to somewhat accurately dream about the state of the average iphone's keyboard. The layout was wrong, but the shattered status was quite accurate.

@Tsaukpaetra said in Dreams:

0_1472682797757_upload-a23a9e45-c117-4c4e-848e-3eaba617f5ec

???

Or maybe

0_1472682612816_upload-6273e62b-80b7-468e-bdbe-c03078b10b78

I remember someone also made a predictive-text keyboard based on continuously flowing letters where you just moved your finger to "catch" the next letter to make up words. Forgot where it was though.

I have a LEAP motion controller that I haven't touched in ages. But when I did, at the time, there was a LEAP motion keyboard app you could buy for like 10 bucks that used graphics to describe the motions you'd use to type with it, and they looked somewhat similar to both of those. I kind of wanted to buy it just out of curiosity, but I never got around to it, and now I don't have time to play with my LEAP because I play too many games instead.

• Also, fuck dreams. When I have any I remember, it's either a nostalgic personal time with people who wouldn't recognize me on the street anymore, an utterly dadaist disjointed chain of events, or such fun things like sleep paralysis, voice loss, false awakening et al (I remember one when I tried to wake up about 20 times, pinching myself, splashing water, trying to scream to wake up my roommate, everything - only to get teleported to bed, thinking I woke up but still dreaming.)

Occasionally, all three at once.

• @Fox said in Dreams:

LEAP motion

We have those on the uni as the mandatory cool stuff every technical university needs to show students once in a while so that they don't drop out and go to McDonalds.

Utterly useless for any serious work, but it was fun to port Blobby Volley to use it:

• area_pol

@Tsaukpaetra Turning bad dreams into reality :P
    Writing on touch-screen is frustrating enough as it is.

@Maciejasjmj said in Dreams:

@Fox said in Dreams:

LEAP motion

We have those on the uni as the mandatory cool stuff every technical university needs to show students once in a while so that they don't drop out and go to McDonalds.

Utterly useless for any serious work, but it was fun to port Blobby Volley to use it:

I think the 3D model sculpting could actually be really useful if I took the time to get good at it. And I had a lot of fun when I set up GameWAVE (a game controller program) so that I could make a fist and move it around to hold W and right click+drag the mouse, which let me fly in WoW with my fist. But typing? Pff. I don't think I'll ever be faster at typing with the LEAP than I am with a plain old keyboard. And drawing? Lolno, I have barely tried drawing with my new Surface and that's already way better than any of the drawing/painting/2D art apps for LEAP, not to mention that regular drawing on paper is a hell of a lot easier, too.

• area_pol

@Fox said in Dreams:

I think the 3D model sculpting could actually be really useful if I took the time to get good at it

VR Editor: Building VR in VR with UE4 | Feature Highlight | Unreal Engine – 01:59
    — Unreal Engine

• @Karla said in Dreams:

He asks most nights when I come home from work. Unless I have a specific craving...just please feed me (taking into consideration all of my pickiness).

That's generally my attitude, too, but it didn't go over well with my ex. If I didn't make a decision, or at least express a preference, I wasn't being a leader. If what I ate wasn't important, then obviously neither was who I was eating dinner with. FFS, it's just food. I really don't have a strong preference; I don't think I've ever been in a restaurant that didn't have something I like.

• BINNED

@ben_lubar said in Dreams:

A few nights ago I had a dream that my basement flooded and my computer was in the stairwell

After this point I was expecting you to go and save some dwarfs from their flooded watery holes.

• @dse said in Dreams:

save some dwarfs

Have you ever played Dwarf Fortress? What you're describing is nearly impossible.

• @Karla said in Dreams:

Is his name Seymour?
    :carnivorous_plant:

• 🚽 Regular

Looks like this:

I've tried it once with a mouse and it seemed to work reasonably well. I don't see it working well on a small touchscreen, but maybe I'm wrong.

You can try it online if you have the Java plugin: http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/TryJavaDasherNow.html
    I don't know if anyone ported to JS and canvas.

@Zecc said in Dreams:

Looks like this:

I've tried it once with a mouse and it seemed to work reasonably well. I don't see it working well on a small touchscreen, but maybe I'm wrong.

You can try it online if you have the Java plugin: http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/TryJavaDasherNow.html
    I don't know if anyone ported to JS and canvas.

Yeah! That's the one!

• I always thought I had issues with sleep paralysis, but after months of no episodes, I had one the other night. This time I managed to get a peek at the clock while I was frozen in place. Once I was able to move again, I looked at the clock and many hours had passed.

I don't actually have sleep paralysis, I only dream about sleep paralysis.

• @mott555 Huh. I wonder how many sleep paralysis patients don't actually have sleep paralysis but instead have a recurring nightmare where they can't move in bed...

• @flabdablet When I dream about bathrooms, the bathroom is always an infinite maze of toilets.

• In other news, I seem to have dreamed last night, but all I remember is the blood.

I also woke up this morning before my first alarm with something semi-important to do after my second alarm went off and I actually got up. By the time the second alarm went off, I couldn't remember what I was supposed to do, or even be sure that I didn't probably just dream that whole scenario.

• @Zecc said in Dreams:

Looks like this:

• This was from a diary entry in 2005, about some daydreams:

On the walk back from downtown today, I had a very odd experience. I had a sort of daydream in which I was a radical Christian preacher trying to talk Dubya into "casting Man into the crucible so that the gold might be drawn off from the base" - that is, to set off nuclear weapons everywhere in the world and destroy all life on earth. The main argument seemed to be that Dubya was the Anti-Christ, and thus had an obligation to fulfill God's plan by bringing about the Apocalypse. A part of it was that all the prophecies from The Revelation had already occurred, in various less-than-obvious ways; contrary to the usual Fundie claims, I was explaining that the Signs couldn't occur in the exact way they were written, or else everyone would immediately try to falsely repent, and that unambiguous miracles went against the need for Faith.

The strange part of this was that another part of myself was simply watching this internal monologue impassively; at no point in it did I actually believe what I was imagining saying. It made for a very disturbing dissonance.

From there it went into a spiel about how the cross wasn't a proper symbol of Christianty (because it symbolized torture and death rather thean the Resurrection) and how the only token one needed was in the heart. It then lost cohesion and mutated into the left wing, extremely touchy-feely 'love thy brother' version of fundamentalism, similar but much more radical than the Episcopalianism I grew up with. Somehow, this wasn't much less creepy than the hellfire and brimstone version was.

I think I even got some hint of the euphoria that having such strong faith seems to bring. I've felt it before, when I first became a Discordian; but I know from then that it eventually fades, and you are left with either disillusionment, or with trying to reconcile the religious experience with day-to-day reality (which leads to paranoia), or else burying yourself in the fantasy and becoming a fanatic. Not a very good set of choices.

Now, I've explored other headspaces like this before; back in high school, I would spend days or even weeks playing around with various forms of radicalism, libertarianism, marxism, anarchism, fascism, hedonism, epicureanism, and even once spent several nauseating hours trying to to understand a Nazi perspective. But it's been years since I've intentionally played such games, and this time it was spontaneous. Also, I don't recall every getting into a Christian religious headspace since I left the church when I was 14; it never really appealed to me. It's a bit curious.

I've had a similar experience a few times, in which I slipped into an ideological POV which I have come to call Spartanism: a strict, totalitarian militarism in which the state ran everything, and controlled literally every aspect of the people's lives. The concept of 'civilian' was abolished, and everyone had military rank and obligations. It was the THX 1183/Logan's Run/Alphaville/Paranoia trip with a vengeance. A major aspect of it was that it explicitly denied any ideological purpose; you served the State because that was the purpose of your existence, nothing more and nothing less. No grand idealistic justifications, just utterly ruthless pragmatism. Scary as all fuck. And as with the daydream today, another part of me could see myself going through these ideas like a neutral observer.

I wonder if I'm going crazy again.

• @mott555 said in Dreams:

@mott555 said in Dreams:

I always thought I had issues with sleep paralysis, but after months of no episodes, I had one the other night. This time I managed to get a peek at the clock while I was frozen in place. Once I was able to move again, I looked at the clock and many hours had passed.

I'm pretty sure my husband wishes I had sleep paralysis.

• @Karla said in Dreams:

:disturbing_giggity:

The Oversharing thread is ⬆ ⬆ ⬇ ⬇ ⬅ ➡ ⬅ ➡ 🅱🅰

Filed Under: Though does it count if you're oversharing for someone else?

• @ScholRLEA said in Dreams:

@Karla said in Dreams:

:disturbing_giggity:

The Oversharing thread is ⬆ ⬆ ⬇ ⬇ ⬅ ➡ ⬅ ➡ 🅱🅰

Filed Under: Though does it count if you're oversharing for someone else?

It wasn't intended to be :giggity:

I mentioned above I punch and kick when I am fighting in my sleep. He's been punched and kicked quite a few times over the years.

Other times...he likes my lack of paralysis just fine, TYVM.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Karla said in Dreams:

Yeah, I would regularly incorporate my alarm into my dreams.

:angry:

Especially since I sleep fairly deep. So I'll hear my alarm in dream, and like all alarms, it's fucking annoying. So I hit it (in dream). Nothing happens. Hit it again, nothing. Unplug it. Throw it across the room. Smash it.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FUCKING HELL WHY DOES IT DELETE NO ALARMS WHEN I HIT BACKSPACE FIVE TIMES?!?!??????!

Then I wake up, and the alarm's still going. =(

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Lathun said in Dreams:

Something will happen and I'll think (or dream I guess) to myself 'No, that is stupid' and go back and replay the same part of my dream but do things differently.

Yup. Often it'll be because I'm driving and miss an exit-- or took a turn too wide and fell off a cliff. Or didn't brake and hit something. I'll be "wait, no, I didn't just total my car and raise my insurance rates, see, back on the road, everything's fine".

Occasionally it'll be because something interesting happened in the dream. Usually it's I just saw THE MOST AMAZING MOVIE/TV SHOW/THEATRE PLAY EVAR. It was hilarious and well put together and life changing. So I'll watch it again, except of course it's different and abbreviated and then I wake up.

@Lorne-Kates said in Dreams:

@Karla said in Dreams:

Yeah, I would regularly incorporate my alarm into my dreams.

:angry:

Especially since I sleep fairly deep. So I'll hear my alarm in dream, and like all alarms, it's fucking annoying. So I hit it (in dream). Nothing happens. Hit it again, nothing. Unplug it. Throw it across the room. Smash it.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FUCKING HELL WHY DOES IT DELETE NO ALARMS WHEN I HIT BACKSPACE FIVE TIMES?!?!??????!

Then I wake up, and the alarm's still going. =(

My favorite is when you just hear a random alarm while you're dreaming and you just keep going about your dream with

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

in the background. And then eventually you wake up after what seems like a day of the incessant beeping in your dream, but it turns out you were just oversleeping for an hour with your alarm going the entire time and now you've missed your bus already.

• @anotherusername said in Dreams:

I seem to have dreamed last night, but all I remember is the blood.

Protip: if you ever get questioned by the cops, don't ever tell them that.

• @LB_ said in Dreams:

I wonder how many sleep paralysis patients don't actually have sleep paralysis but instead have a recurring nightmare where they can't move in bed...

Much different. I can usually blink and feel my eyes opening and closing, while in a dream I barely have any sense of touch. Occasionally I can also move a limb an inch or two, or wiggle my fingers, and feel something.

@Fox said in Dreams:

My favorite is when you just hear a random alarm while you're dreaming and you just keep going about your dream with
    BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
    in the background.

Yeah. I automatically adjust IRL to repetitive noises within five minutes unless it's damaging.

I no longer hear the phone ring, fire alarm low-battery chirp, security important-not-urgent chirp, or the alarm clock that fell behind the bed.

• @Tsaukpaetra You guys are lucky. I wake up every single time the furnace or AC cycles because the thermostat in the hallway makes a clicking sound. I sleep so lightly it's ridiculous. Even shadows can wake me up, which I found out when I fell asleep on the couch and a roommate decided he was going to lean over me and scare me awake. Just him casting his shadow on my face was enough to wake me.

@mott555 said in Dreams:

@Tsaukpaetra You guys are lucky. I wake up every single time the furnace or AC cycles because the thermostat in the hallway makes a clicking sound. I sleep so lightly it's ridiculous. Even shadows can wake me up, which I found out when I fell asleep on the couch and a roommate decided he was going to lean over me and scare me awake. Just him leaning over me and casting his shadow on my face was enough to wake me.

I wouldn't say we're lucky. We're just screwed in a different way from you.

@mott555 said in Dreams:

@Tsaukpaetra You guys are lucky. I wake up every single time the furnace or AC cycles because the thermostat in the hallway makes a clicking sound. I sleep so lightly it's ridiculous. Even shadows can wake me up, which I found out when I fell asleep on the couch and a roommate decided he was going to lean over me and scare me awake. Just him casting his shadow on my face was enough to wake me.

So in other words you'd make a good sentinel. Good to know.

• @ScholRLEA said in Dreams:

I wonder if I'm going crazy again.

Again? Did you ever stop? 😛