Neighbors are TR:wtf:

• @masonwheeler said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

@boomzilla Is that, like, a part of Pennsylvania inhabited exclusively by pet dogs?

That would be awesome! I want to live there...
    oh wait

exclusively

Damn.

• ♿ (Parody)

@masonwheeler said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

@boomzilla Is that, like, a part of Pennsylvania inhabited exclusively by pet dogs?

Well, there's one less person living there now for sure.

• @boomzilla My parents are trying to buy a house near Fredericksburg. Looks like there's at least one house available in this guy's neighborhood.

• Creating this as a placeholder for tomorrow, I'm too sleepy to type it all now.
    Here's a teaser:
    I bought a house, and I'm going to do a major refactioning. Part of it includes demolishing a roof and a wall that happens to be sharing a wall with a neighbor.

She already said to via text message "I don't want to be in bad terms, but I have my rights and I don't want to have to use them"

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@jarry said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

She already said to via text message "I don't want to be in bad terms, but I have my rights and I don't want to have to use them"

I think you might be living by my neighbor's sister.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Well, you do need to be careful about shared walls (especially if they're supporting an earth bank on either side or are part of a shared building) but apart from that there's not much they can do as long as you keep the noise and mess to a reasonable minimum.

• @dkf said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

there's not much they can do as long as you keep the noise and mess to a reasonable minimum.

Crazy people are not reasonable. If they want to fuck with you, they will deem any speck of dust on their side to be un-reasonable. They might not win anything in the end, but you will have lost time and energy (and maybe even money), so definitely not a win for you.

My opinion is that you can either try to smooch with them beforehand so that they don't even think of fucking with you because you are now M. Nice Guy (sometimes they just need someone to listen to their complaints about whatever pet-peeve they have...), or go for holier-than-thou and have a lawyer testify about the state of things before/after, send them registered mail to officially inform them of all steps of the project etc. so that they know from the start that you won't back down. Both approaches can spectacularly misfire depending on who's on the other side, though.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

I'm going to do a major refactioning.

Red vs. Blue too old and tired these days?

• :belt_onion:

@dreikin said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

❓

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@heterodox said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

@dreikin said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

❓

@Jarry seems to want some different factions at home.

• ♿ (Parody)

The crazy neighbor is AWOL. Her trash cans sat at the curb for 3+ weeks. I have not seen her car or anyone at her house for roughly that long. The past few days random handyman type trucks have been and left. One truck came and left with a load of stuff from the house in the bed. Nothing that looked like it was of value. Just stuff.

There is another neighbor who is always a bit nosy. She typically knows everything going on in the neighborhood so I send her a text this morning asking if she knew what was going on over there and if the crazy neighbor has past away or moved out or whatever. After a brief text conversation with her she is now convinced that they are running drugs out of the house because of the vehicles coming and going. Which is not even close to something that happens. At least not in this way. I now wish I had not asked.

0_1538403227612_Screenshot_20181001-100928_Messages.jpg

0_1538403234026_Screenshot_20181001-100939_Messages.jpg

0_1538403249026_Screenshot_20181001-100946_Messages.jpg

And yes, I just left it there. Once a person goes down that lane of crazy you can't recover the conversation. You just let it go.

• @Polygeekery Whoo boy, she went off the deep end.

The fact that the car is missing... well, crazy lady's probably not lying dead inside the house, at least. And the fact that folks have been coming and going lately... if crazy lady is dead, someone probably knows, and they're starting to clean up the house. Either that or she's been moved to assisted living or to live with relatives.

I'd probably say something about the vehicles that you notice coming/going being more like handyman types and see if that dissuades her from the drug house theory.

• ♿ (Parody)

@anotherusername said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

And the fact that folks have been coming and going lately... if crazy lady is dead, someone probably knows, and they're starting to clean up the house.

Maybe she got foreclosed on? I know that property ownership is public info that the county maintains online. Might be worth checking up on that.

@boomzilla said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

Maybe she got foreclosed on?

Unlikely. A few months ago when she was still around she finally had her sewer hookup done. That is not likely to be something one has done before they are foreclosed on. Also, I think she owned the house free and clear. Her grandfather owned the house before her and what I have heard is that he gave it to her when he died. It is still possible that she borrowed a ton against it or something.

Also, I noticed when one of the handyman type people was coming and going that the house was still full. All the furniture I could see through the doorway was still there.

I have to leave soon to go pick up Lil' Dude from school but someone remind me later to tell the story of the last time I talked to her. I can almost guarantee that she was not murdered because if she were then I would have already been questioned by the police. It was a doozy.

@Polygeekery said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

I have to leave soon to go pick up Lil' Dude from school but someone remind me later to tell the story of the last time I talked to her. I can almost guarantee that she was not murdered because if she were then I would have already been questioned by the police. It was a doozy.

So this all happened back in the spring. I remember because the weather was very nice and we had our windows open and that is central to the story.

So one weekend night we are hanging out at the house and the neighbor's dogs start barking. Losing their fucking minds. Our dogs go outside to follow suit and after a few minutes of the commotion not dying down I yell at them to come inside. They both look at me disappointedly, but they listen well most of the time so they come back in the house and chill. Occasionally the neighbor's dogs would stop barking for a while and then start back up at which point the dogs would look at me for direction and I would tell them not to even think about it.

Fast forward to like 5 hours later. It is after 10pm. The neighbor's dogs are still barking. By this point it has become white noise for us. We have dogs so it just kind of blends in the background. The wife and I are laying in bed watching some movie, our dogs are laying on the floor behaving themselves despite the neighbor's dogs still barking. Then the doorbell rings and someone beats on the door. Our dogs do what dogs should do and take off for the door growling and barking.

I know this part all happened after 10pm, I think it was closer to 11. I grab a pistol from the bedside lockbox, tuck it in the back of my shorts and go to see :wtf: is at the door and why someone would be beating on my door at ~11pm. I flip on the outside light and see the crazy bitch neighbor. I tell the dogs to sit, open the door and slip outside on to the porch.

One thing to note about me: I stay pretty calm for most things, up to a point. My tolerance for bullshit and abuse looks like the sress failure curve for hardened steels. It builds up and builds up until I snap. Most people are pretty ductile. I am more brittle.

0_1538409516593_86cf9e5a-f830-40bd-8d19-c389802aead9-image.png

No more than I open the door she lights in to me.

🧕🏿 "Your fucking mutts have been barking all night."
    polygeekery "Calm down, it's not my dogs."
    🧕🏿 "I know it's your fucking dogs, I can hear it coming from your yard and they have been barking for hours and I am tired of it."
    polygeekery "It's not my dogs, seriously, you need to calm down, you are being entirely irrrational."
    🧕🏿 "I'm irrational? If I am irrational it's because I have been listening to your fucking dogs barking all night and I am sick and tired of it."
    polygeekery "Like I said, it's not my dogs that are barking. They haven't made a peep for hours now, they have been inside with us."
    🧕🏿 "Bullshit. I've been hearing them barking and I know it was coming from your yard."

Lather, rinse, repeat. I keep pretty calm, keep trying to get her to calm down because I want her to know that it actually isn't our dogs. Then she eventually goes too far.

🧕🏿 "Dogs barking like that is how something ends up happening to them."

I immediately hit my material failure point. We just passed the peak of that graph.

polygeekery "Listen up you fucking cunt. I have sat here and taken your shit and kept my cool but if you threaten any part of my family you go too far. If anything happens to my fucking dogs that will be the last fucking thing you do. Got it?"

The whole time we are having our "discussion" the neighbor's dogs are still barking.

🧕🏿 "You keep your dogs quiet and we won't have any problems."
    polygeekery "Do you hear the dogs barking?"
    🧕🏿 "Yeah, why?"

I open the door and there are our dogs, still sitting there where I told them to.

polygeekery "Those are my dogs. The dogs you hear barking are John's dogs, not mine, so you can fuck right off."

That was the point that she realized she fucked up.

🧕🏿 "I...I...I"
    polygeekery "Too late now. Get the fuck off my porch, get the fuck off my property and don't you ever fucking come back."
    🧕🏿 "I...I...I"
    polygeekery "Seriously, get the fuck out of here and don't you ever dare knock on this door again. Not at 11pm, not in the middle of the day. Not for any reason. I don't want you to ever come back here. I don't care if it is 10 below in the middle of February and your fucking house is burning down. You warm yourself by the fire instead of coming here for help. Understood?"
    🧕🏿 "....got it."
    polygeekery "I hope so, because it is not a subtle point I am making."

I go inside and shut the door. The wife asks me if I had to go that far. I tell her that no I probably didn't but I wanted to get my point across. She then tells me that if a freak accident happens and her house burns down I will probably get questioned for it.

So last week I bring up to the wife how the neighbor's trash cans had been by the curb for the better part of a month and wondered if something happened to her.

👩 "You better hope there was no foul play because you might be first on the list."

She's not wrong. I am fairly sure the entire neighborhood heard what happened.

• @Polygeekery That's a beautiful story 😢 🤣

One thing to note about me: I stay pretty calm for most things, up to a point. My tolerance for bullshit and abuse looks like the sress failure curve for hardened steels. It builds up and builds up until I snap. Most people are pretty ductile. I am more brittle.

Another funny story (to me at least, at the time the wife was mortified):

A while back we were at a movie premiere. It was an invitation-only sort of affair and it was a movie the wife wanted to see with the kids. Some of the people involved in production were there speaking before the movie and all that fun stuff that I could not care less about.

Normally I avoid movie theaters like the plague. I have this weird thing that doesn't seem to effect others where if anyone is talking behind me that is all I hear. It blocks out the movie entirely. I also seem to always get on a row with a bunch of people who come and go all the time and are always putting their asses or crotch in my face and they are never the type of people I would like to have put their ass or crotch in my face. The whole experience is usually unpleasant.

But it was a special appearance, the wife wanted to go and this theater served beer so I rolled with it.

I end up seated in front of some woman who for some goddamn reason keeps kicking my chair. Restless legs, or nervous tick or maybe just completely oblivious to what should be common courtesy. My wife and I have the boys sitting between us and even she can feel it when she kicks the back of my seat. She is also talking to her friend and that is all I can hear. I am getting annoyed. I finally turn around and although I am sure my voice conveyed my annoyance I ask very politely:

polygeekery "Excuse me, miss, could you please stop kicking my seat?"

She scoffs.

👩 "Ugh, I never...I don't think I care for your tone!"

My tone was one of annoyance, but not of rudeness, and I asked nicely. I have also put up with her kicking the shit out of my seat for 20+ minutes.

polygeekery "You don't like my tone? I don't like you kicking my seat and I asked politely for you to stop, so how about this tone? STOP KICKING MY GODDAMN SEAT!"

Her jaw dropped, my wife gasped, our oldest laughed. She gets up and relocates. A few minutes later of course an usher would come.

👦🏻 "Do we have a problem here?"
    polygeekery "No, she moved."

I am pretty sure he meant me, but we watched the rest of the movie in peace.

• @Polygeekery I have an aunt who, despite being a schoolteacher, has very little tolerance for kids. She once very loudly shouted down some parents who thought it was acceptable for their kid to shout during a movie, to the point that they left the theater crying and ashamed. Then my aunt got a standing ovation from the rest of the audience. I'm sure that would be a lawsuit if it happened today.

@mott555 normally if you ask someone to stop talking or kicking your seat or whatever they immediately feel bad for disturbing others and apologize. No big deal. I do believe this was the first time anyone ever reacted that way.

• ♿ (Parody)

@mott555 said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

I have an aunt who, despitedue to being being a schoolteacher, has very little tolerance for kids.

• @Polygeekery said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

@mott555 normally if you ask someone to stop talking or kicking your seat or whatever they immediately feel bad for disturbing others and apologize. No big deal. I do believe this was the first time anyone ever reacted that way.

Similar thing recently - our auditorium doubles as a canteen. Which means it can get quite loud during recess.

I was sitting on the other end of the hall when a girl on the other end near the windows decided she didn't like the sun in her eyes and tried to pull the curtains closed.

Only problem with this: Our curtains are motor driven because the hall is 7 meters high. When you pull on the curtains the way she did, either of two things happen:

1. You rip the curtains from their clamps,
    2. You move the curtains which burns out the motors or
    3. both.

And, yes, we had 1&2 happen. It took a while to be repaired - we couldn't close the curtains which meant that our projector became borderline unusable in the mornings because the sun shines on the projector's screen in the morning.

So, you can understand that I was a bit alarmed.

Due to the distance between me and her (and the noise), I shouted over: "Stop that!"

Which yielded the immediate reply of: "You are not allowed to talk to me that way!"

Didn't go over well and I ripped her a new one. She later complained that I shamed her in front of the school (to which my principal replied: "Get over it.") and my colleagues told me that she's known for trying this "twist criticism around" tactic quite frequently.
    Maybe someone should tell her that school is still a protected space where such behaviour doesn't have too many repercussions. But I don't think her attitude will be appreciated much at her future job sites.

@Rhywden said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

She later complained that I shamed her in front of the school (to which my principal replied: "Get over it.")

Good for him or her for having your back.

She later complained that I shamed her in front of the school (to which my principal replied: "Get over it.")

Her 😛

• @mott555 said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

@Polygeekery I have an aunt who, despite being a schoolteacher, has very little tolerance for kids. She once very loudly shouted down some parents who thought it was acceptable for their kid to shout during a movie, to the point that they left the theater crying and ashamed. Then my aunt got a standing ovation from the rest of the audience. I'm sure that would be a lawsuit if it happened today.

dcon: I swear to $deity officer, I didn't see a thing! That lady is an angel.

She also has been the victim of attitudes like hers. Our auditorium doors are doubling as fire escapes. During the summer, they are open due to the fact that the floor design of the school is ... suboptimal if you want to go outside. In autumn, spring and winter, they're closed and big red signs are posted that they are indeed closed.

But, fire escapes! Which means that they have those gizmos where you can pull down the lever to open the door but you'll activate a fire alarm at the same time (not coupled to an automatic call to the fire department, though).

Which means that we usually have several clueless pupils who somehow fail to grasp basic mechanics (the gizmos are obvious in the way they work - you push down the handle onto a big red button) and a failure to read obvious signs.

I was witness to a pupil doing just that: She actually looked at (or probably: through) the sign, pushed the handle - the (very loud) alarm went off. She shrugged, opened the door completely and walked through and tried to walk away. After which I caught her, probably wearing a :wtf: expression on my face and plonked her down in front of the principal - I had to go to her anyway because our principal and vice-principal are the only ones with the disarming key. Which means that she had to run down there quite frequently.

My colleagues told me afterwards that while the alarm was running (and I was fetching the key) that several other pupils had taken the opportunity to ... erm, escape. :rolleyes:

Her 😛

I almost said "him" and then realized you had not mentioned gender.

Maybe she got foreclosed on? I know that property ownership is public info that the county maintains online. Might be worth checking up on that.

Still no clue what happened to her but she is definitely gone. One of the handyman guys came over to ask me about the ratty spruce tree that is right on the property line because the guy who bought the house was wanting to cut it down. I told him I would have cut it down years ago but I didn't want to end up in a legal battle so they could go right ahead and cut it down with my blessing.

He doesn't know what happened to her but the house is still full and they are going to have to clean it out before they can start.

Looks like this crazy neighbor saga is coming to an end.

• I'm not a fan of this season's end of Story Time with @Polygeekery

@izzion I know. There isn't even an arson cliffhanger.

• ♿ (Parody)

Looks like this crazy neighbor saga is coming to an end.

Congratulations!

the guy who bought the house

Again, the fact that you didn't see real estate signs and the house is full points to this guy picking the house up at auction. Maybe a bank imposed short sale? I know that my county reports those differently from normal sales in the records.

Again, the fact that you didn't see real estate signs and the house is full points to this guy picking the house up at auction. Maybe a bank imposed short sale? I know that my county reports those differently from normal sales in the records.

I think she died. He said the house is still completely full. If it were a short sale I would expect they would have moved some of their stuff out.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Polygeekery true.

I think she died.

Oh, so it's a CSI cliffhanger instead. Nice that the showrunners are branching out.

• BINNED

@izzion said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

CSI

Sounds like a case for CSI: Old Ladies Keeling Over Unit

• Considered Harmful

Just some arson around.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Luhmann said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

Sounds like a case for CSI: Old Ladies Keeling Over Unit

You saw CSI: Cyber too, then?

• BINNED

@loopback0
    I saw a trailer once and noped out

• ♿ (Parody)

Found @Polygeekery's neighbor.

0_1541527866388_dae782f5-c892-4f1a-862e-2ae4b52902e2-image.png

• kills Dumbledore

@boomzilla the gunshots might do a bit but the main thing keeping prices in check is all the houses being burned down

• Considered Harmful

@boomzilla That's smart.

@Jaloopa said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

@boomzilla the gunshots might do a bit but the main thing keeping prices in check is all the houses being burned down

Diversify, diversify, diversify.

• @Luhmann said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

CSI: Old Ladies Keeling Over Unit

CSI: OL KOU
    ❓

• @boomzilla said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

Found @Polygeekery's neighbor.

0_1541527866388_dae782f5-c892-4f1a-862e-2ae4b52902e2-image.png

So I'm actually doing a public service by not mowing my lawn. I knew it!

• @boomzilla said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

It's commendable that he wants to warn his potential buyers, but the sign's sure not going to help the price he gets. You also wonder whether the fault is 100% the neighbor's. It seldom is.

@chozang said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

You also wonder whether the fault is 100% the neighbor's. It seldom is.

I know of one case where it was, by my humble opinion.

@chozang said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

You also wonder whether the fault is 100% the neighbor's. It seldom is.

I know of one case where it was, by my humble opinion.

You mean the one where she threatened your dog, and you threatened her life? I don't blame you, but I know I haven't heard both sides of the story.

@chozang fair enough, which is why I said it was by my opinion. You only have my word to go on that I never did anything to her.

• BINNED

by my humble opinion.

You are just providing proof of @chozang 's point

🏠 🔥