Contracts Part 4: Recruiters

• So I basically been sitting on my arse and doing nothing for about a month and a bit and was planning on going to somewhere in Europe that ISIS hasn't had a pop at yet.

I want to move to London I have a lot of mates who work there.

2 weeks ago

I get a phone call from a large company that I had worked for before, they want me to do a contract. I have a telephone interview. I don't think I interviewed that well. I didn't hear back for more than a week and I assume I didn't get the job.

Today Early Morning

Turns out I did get the job, and they didn't get management approval until yesterday (Wednesday) and want me to in 2 weeks. No paper work has come through at this point. Seeing paperwork IMO makes it official so until I see paper work I don't consider it official.

Today Lunchtime

I get phoned up today very early morning before I've seen any official paper work from the other offer and get persuaded by a recruiter to have a telephone interview with this company in London. I say yes why not. I let both the recruiter and the employer that they have to act quickly if they want me as I am expecting official confirmation today on this new contract.

The recruiter tells me that they have interviewed 90+ Sitecore developers in the UK.

The company wants me to phone them up (no time specified) so I phone them up after 2pm (because it was midday when the recruiter verified the number and the person I would be speaking to). I phoned after 2 become usually most people in the UK take their lunch times between 12 and 2 as a rule.

The guy is on lunch at 2.30pm. I phone the recruiter and then he is on lunch. When I do get hold of him it is 3.50pm he makes it should like I am inconveniencing him. Learning from my previous encounters I let this slide and just carry on the conversation.

He sends me a URL of a web test they have, I complete it on the phone and some of the multi choice answers are wrong.

I wasn't sure at the time but I looked them up afterwards on MSDN and Microsoft said their test wasn't right.

I answer everything while he was listening to my breath probably on the phone. He when quizzes me on the answers and I tell him why I answered some questions that were deliberately wrong.

He thanks me and the interview is over. However before that happens he tells me he has had my CV for 4 days and hasn't bothered until now to get hold of me. I assume that is because they had interviewed other people and didn't like them before me.

In the meantime all the paper work is sitting in my inbox.

4.30 pm Today

I phoned the recruiter and said I did the test, the guy was a little rude etc. I told him about the fact that I looked up some of the questions and what I thought was correct and the test was wrong.

They want a second interview and another tech test. I said "It must be in the morning, otherwise it is a no".

6pm Today

Asked to go face to face tomorrow in the afternoon. I say to the recruiter they are taking the piss.

• @lucas1 I've been in London, took this picture with a few friends there:

0_1470340023166_upload-736e1d25-13d0-4bb1-ab99-04ffc6e2ad9d

:trolleybus:

• @fbmac
    You know that the red shirt at the back is the one to be killed first.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.