The Official Starbound Thread Of Justice Requiem Revengence

• So you guys play this, right?

What kind of cool stuff have you found?

My magneto gauntlets and my 1h alien appendage gun are sick, so much so that I don't even tentacle all the things with my alien worm gun anymore.

My friend showed up though with the lazer samurai sword, which is apparently a 10% drop from the boss that uses it, and seems to be a better weapon than anything I have at the moment.

How about you guys?

• I own it but haven't played in years. Last I knew there were savegame losses every few days due to updates. Is it worth a look again?

• @mott555 Version 1.0 came out, so yes. It's a very different game now. Though I do miss the random enemies - they all seem to be specific species now.

• sekret PM club

I found a neat one-hander sword that looks like the hand from a fancy grandfather clock. It's secondary power is you do a full circle-swing and anything it hits is stopped in time for about 2 seconds, meaning it can't move and you can't hit it, but you sure as fuck can run away from it :D

• I played it and beat it, I sorta miss the original progression system with the different zones you had to travel to. Also, desert mining was so fun, alas.

I found a few unique weapons, most of them pretty cool but none of them overly useful. My Popsicle stick sword killed everything just fine.

It is a fine game, but I bought into it when it was announced on (probably incorrect) assumptions that it would be more like terraria but in space. It is not that game.

Also, I agree @Magus I miss the old random enemies on each planet.

• Downed the Ruin last night. A little too easy for my taste. Of course, I have the legendary flamethrower sword and legendary laser rocket launcher along with full tier 6 racial armor....

This game could use some challenge bosses like Terraria, but in just about every other way, it beats that game hands-down.

• @Dragoon said in The Official Starbound Thread Of Justice Requiem Revengence:

I sorta miss the original progression system with the different zones you had to travel to.

Like alpha and delta and such? Imo it makes more sense now.

@Groaner said in The Official Starbound Thread Of Justice Requiem Revengence:

This game could use some challenge bosses like Terraria, but in just about every other way, it beats that game hands-down.

I don't know that I'd say that. Terraria has much more polished graphics, for all the simplicity of the game, and honestly that simplicity is in its favor. There are so many useful things to collect, and the alien bosses are a real, fun challenge. This game, so far, has some really good bossfights, but most enemies in the game drop nothing worth mentioning and require much more effort. I just have this constant feeling that Starbound is trying to cram too much into the game, despite occasional really good parts. I don't care how many different types of saplings there are, food rotting is not remotely fun, and there are 10,000 different block types you do not and never will want.

I love how much detail is in some parts, like the dungeons and such, but there's always a choice between a game feeling crafted and a game feeling cheap and random, and starbound feels cheap more often than polished.

• I bought Starbound pixel tier way back before they were even in early access, just to get the soundtrack and support the game, then completely forgot about it. Then recently I found out about my old humble bundle account and found a steam key for the game that has just been sitting there...

I haven't played the game yet but I'm planning to, one day...it's not my favorite type of game, just interesting. Might be good with friends.

• @Magus Terraria also evolved for almost 10 years. Starbound JUST released 1.0.

Also I disagree about the graphics, I thing Starbound's are MUCH better. If you want to see bad graphics for a game of genre, check out the horrible Edge of Space.

• @blakeyrat said in The Official Starbound Thread Of Justice Requiem Revengence:

If you want to see bad graphics for a game of genre, check out the horrible Edge of Space.

I do agree here absolutely.

@blakeyrat said in The Official Starbound Thread Of Justice Requiem Revengence:

Also I disagree about the graphics, I thing Starbound's are MUCH better.

Starbound has more detail, and mostly uses it to make things have a nice soft look. But a lot of things just end up looking blurry, because they try to get away with more detail and can't; the purple raider people for instance look awful, as do most character sprites. Buildings look nice, but dirt and such don't have much impact, partly because its starbound and there are 10,000 of them and you don't want any of them. The ice and tar look nice, though.

In Terraria, the visible spread of corruption, the ash and hellstone, dungeon bricks, hives and jungle... all of it was visually and functionally distinct, with only dirt being a randomly appearing useless material.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Magus said in The Official Starbound Thread Of Justice Requiem Revengence:

and there are 10,000 different block types you do not and never will want.

It's like ten thousand sand when all you need is a cobblestone.