PBP Paranoia?

• Garbage Person

@e4tmyl33t Go! And then come have a cigar and booze at Nicky Blaine's.

• @e4tmyl33t said in PBP Paranoia?:

I'm going to do my damnedest to try to go again next year, funds and personal paranoias be damned.

Hopefully you'll get there; good luck in the housing lottery! I've been going for way too long (18 years?) but it's still a good time every year.

@Weng said in PBP Paranoia?:

@Parody Any open slots? If so, PM me the event code, we are WOEFULLY short on Paranoia (actually, we're woefully short on events in general - the one year we're all on deck for event reg we get basically nothing)

And are you the guy I stole the damned unsharpened-pencils bit from?

It's been full since opening day, sorry. If it's any consolation, I also got hosed in event registration this year. (Their server was handing out 504 errors like candy; by the time I got in the queue I was in the 5000s.)

I don't think I've ever done an unsharpened-pencils bit. Sounds like a Paranoia thing, though. :)

• sekret PM club

@Parody said in PBP Paranoia?:

Hopefully you'll get there; good luck in the housing lottery! I've been going for way too long (18 years?) but it's still a good time every year.

Yeah, I've got a group of friends that have gone pretty much every year for the last 10 years or so. I went for 4 or 5 of them, but had to stop in 2012 because of work obligations and moving house and construction and stuff, so next year might be the first time I get the chance to. Said group of friends usually camps the housing site right around the time it opens to try and snag up a couple of large (5-6 person) rooms for the group to stay in, since it spreads the room cost across the group. Usually they're pretty good with getting them.

• Garbage Person

@Parody For once we had our shit together. Before con even closed last year, we'd booked a block of rooms at a good Airport area hotel (15 minute Uber ride, no big deal).

Then come housing lottery, we got one room over in Le Meridian and pared back offsite accommodation. Half the party sleeps in LM, there other half commutes (and then there's the one guy that stays in his mom's trailer park 1.5 hours out and gets caught in the parking garage disaster every day).

Then came event reg. The highest queue position we got was around 6000. Nothing on our first string list. Nothing on second. Nothing on third. It was a rough time. It also seems like there was a lot less churn after the fact, too.

• Housing has been good to us; we've been in the Downtown Marriott the last few years (the hotel directly connected to a food court outside what's now the board/card/miniatures hall).

Gen Con's gotten really big in the last five years or so, which is straining the close-in hotels. From what I can tell there's no real answer for that; the alternative locations aren't any better and there's only so many hotels that the downtown Indianapolis area can support. I wouldn't mind if attendance shrunk a bit, but that has other drawbacks. :/

Regardless, event registration will continue to be a disaster. You'd think even a small company in Seattle could get a halfway decent IT person or two to design and build their registration system, but apparently not. Instead of working on the registration system, let's write our own forums!

At least they didn't use Discourse.

• Garbage Person

@Parody Yeah, really. For "gimme a couple badges" I'd gladly port their existing registration systems over to an auto scaling AWS setup. It can't be hard.

Our downtown crew really likes Le Meridian for some reason. I don't. It's not quite attached, it's in a fairly lame spot (all the way out at the mall), the rooms are awkwardly laid out because it's an ancient building. It is fucking fancy, though.

I commute because, frankly, losing half an hour of sleep to Uber rides gains me 15 minutes to let the coffee soak in.

• I want to run a Paranoia XP PBP, if there's any interest, please reply or message me. Character creation will be minimal, you pick a name and not much else then we'll get straight into it. Style is "classic/straight". It will be run on RPG.net (unless there's a better easier place?) and you might need to give me an email address for direct communication. I also have a website/tool to test which is pretty much the main reason I am doing this 🐼