Quotes Out of Context

• @Polygeekery

I should probably let the client know that their server room is about to burst in to flames, but I CBA. Too busy watching a livestream.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@scholrlea you should have pointed out that it was not even live and that I am watching a recording of a livestream.

• @polygeekery
    🏁 for illegal context! :referee_whistling:

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@izzion meh, whatever, it makes my quote look even worse.

• Y'all missing the real questions here. Should it be "burst in to flames", or "burst into flames"? Do they mean the same thing or do they mean slightly different things? Is one of them not correct, or is either of them fine?

• Notification Spam Recipient

@anotherusername said in Quotes Out of Context:

Y'all missing the real questions here. Should it be "burst in to flames", or "burst into flames"? Do they mean the same thing or do they mean slightly different things? Is one of them not correct, or is either of them fine?

If you burst in to flames you have rushed into fire that existed prior to your acting. If you burst into flames your bursting is what caused the flames.

• @polygeekery
    I dunno, the added context reads to me that you were watching the recording of your client's server room bursting into flames. Which just makes you look like ye olde Indian contractor, calling to let the client know that the horses have escaped from the barn, after the barn has burned down.

• @izzion said in Quotes Out of Context:

@polygeekery
    I dunno, the added context reads to me that you were watching the recording of your client's server room bursting into flames. Which just makes you look like ye olde Indian contractor, calling to let the client know that the horses have escaped from the barn, after the barn has burned down.

Or like a 19th century fire brigade, standing outside the burning building waiting for the owner to arrive so that you can extortnegotiate a better rate before going in to put the fire out.

• I have never been more afraid of a liquid in my life who wants to do shots with me

@sockpuppet7:

You were arguing that the country of occupation doesn't affect the income for the "very good".

• You sure? I know a few good ones with my tongue.

Stop! Having! Orgasms! When! I’m! Defeating! You!

• No! You smell of hairspray and shea butter!

Now, be a good little crotch spawn and let's go back to your room, maybe we can make you a peanut butter, jelly, and ether sandwich.

Oh, really? Wow. I can't remember the last time someone actually nutted up and asked for that. Congrats, can't wait to hear how you fuck this up.

How awful to see you again. You're looking grotesque as always.

Oh, hi there Kettle, name's Pot, have we met?

Oh, shit. Wow, I dodged a bullet on that one.

Not gonna lie, this is exactly what I'm looking for in a castle.

Oh wow, yeah, thank God we're incompetent!

The better question is, how much will you pay me to get peed on?

• MichaelFarthing:

On the contrary, keeping quiet shows a total lack of interest. Much more effective.

• ~:

For example, I find that modern computing at an understandable level by everyone starts with the Atari 2600

:wtf: ❓

iansjack:

Well that's a good five minute's work. You could have done that rather than making your last post.

• High voltage gear does give a kitchen that homey touch

A robot lady bit me!

You mean that would have worked!?

You know, it's hard to ignore the obvious irony when you say it.

I had this whole other conversation planned out, but I guess I kind of blurted out that, instead.

• coffins are for posers

what the hell, I’m up, awake and pissed, and God help the poor doink I run into.

Is it crass of me to hope that it’s orgasms?

boys can be so unreasonable about that kind of thing, thank you Mother Mary, that I personally don’t have to keep it up anymore

“Do You… Have ANY IDEA… How HARD it is to get coffee stains… out of SILK?”

I come from a solidly Labor family, and I can tell that that woman is NOT a member of the IBEW.

“When my lawyer gets through with you, you’ll be lucky to get contracts as Shopping Mall Guards!”

“at least you won’t have to be exfoliated soon!"

"you’re not one of those people who hold a grudge because someone stole your Oreos at recess back in Second Grade, are you?”

So we stood there and listened to the unmistakable sound of priceless artifacts being used as improvised weaponry.

Then a figure out of a revisionist production of The Wizard of Oz appeared.

I do have to admit that it was the sort of outfit that called for spats.

rather reminded me of the mascot for that exterminator company

"For all we knew, he could have been an eccentric patron of the Arts.”

no way he’s completed a Residency

working furiously on his next brainfart

Bus Transfers of Doom

a no-holds-barred, to-the-death fight with a basket of dirty laundry

“Very grabby, doesn’t play well with others.”

I spent three hours making sure that the red tape was tied properly.

It takes some genuine panache to get a New York maitre‘d to seat superheroes in full costume.

For someone who looked maybe Five or Six, that kid had some serious moves.

• this is all some weird, awkward, dorky form of flirting.

• 🚽 Regular

@ben_lubar:

the YouTube AI foot fetish hypothesis is still valid

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@scholrlea quoted in Quotes Out of Context:

You mean that would have worked!?

Heh…

• "If they don't see a gaggle of hero-worshipping do-gooders in training, it may shred that veil of preconception, which is exactly what we don’t want! So perk up and let me see those starry eyes of abject adoration!”

• Thank you so much for enduring that with us.

"You know what was one of my favorite games when I was a little boy? Superman 64," said no one ever.

dangerously close to shovelware

I've never been fall over. That's how it is!

Fantastic Feeling, Speedy Feeling and Realistic Feeling with HD Vibration

every snowflake in this game is a unique design. Damn, THAT LOOK GOOD!

How? How the flying goat buttholes did this game somehow manage to get accepted on the PS Store?

This bad boy now has the big tiger balls

I honestly seriously believe that, right now... if [the audience] took a one hour game design and creation course, I swear every single one of you would likely be able to come up with a more complete game concept and execution than this, if you were actually serious and you weren't trolling

That sounds like the game designer eating some celery in his apartment! I love it!

a massive piece of fucking shit. Also, it has multiplayer.

This black aura of awfulness had seeped into our bodies

It took a combination of board games, free beer, and barbecue to lure people back to my house after this fucking travesty.

Sinisterly evil enough to slowly change you soul and make you physically fucking sick as you play, with its hand reaching in and squeezing your heart!

What is it with bad games and motorcycles?

every time I look at a hardcore badass biker, I can't help but start laughing

• Who WAS that ODD woman,” Glor asked, “and WHY did she have all those amazingly good-looking men with her? Is she some sort of evil modeling agency executive?”
    “There are evil models?”
    “Of course, Misty! Who do you think Super-Models fight?”

“I expected Security to break down their door after the first swarm of exploding bumblebees.”

“There’s nothing ‘mere’ about Mr. Wilkins’ butchering,”

• dear God, why do you plague me with idiots that I can’t order killed?

It was like being judged by a tribunal of ferrets.

the Total Dick gene is double-dominant in the Wilkins' DNA

• @karla:

This is a case where mother should be be in scare quotes.

@izzion:

You know life is in the shitter when Trump takes us to war with @Error.

@heterodox:

I still generally lose the will to live about three hours in.

• @ben_lubar said:

it was actually less than one baby

• Those teeth are legitimately upsetting me, I want to die.

Beep, beep, I'm a sheep, I said beep beep I'm a sheep

What is going on? She's getting trimmed!

They should all end with a little musical

I wish I was a hot titty sheep

drawin' the titty ain't rocket science

• @TheCPUWizard:

Unintended, yet easily predictable consequences --- Why are they so common??? [rhetorical]

@Colin:

More manual steps are seemingly always the solution to complicated problems.

• @dcon said:

It's only 6 inches, what's the problem???

• @Kian:

Very evocative, I can almost hear the screaming.

• @pie_flavor:

Pity? That was some quality shitposting.

Ivan Godard:

Has anybody ever written a template taking template template arguments that themselves take template template arguments?
    That's used inside, and there's this marvelous piece of code with 42 consecutive right angle brackets.
    It works! It works amazingly well.

@ixvedeusi:

"a bit impenetrable" is still quite a bit of an understatement.

• @TheCPUWizard:

Not sure is I should Vote++ or ++Vote 🙂

Geri the SubLEq Guy (not context, I'm just identifying the guilty party):

an unknown misteryous hero prety much likes dawn os

or a brainfuck machine, which have an extra ascii code for stabbing people with ceramic squirrels

The protector saint of this release is Misaki Mei

• Bronze watched this with her arms folded, her shoulders hunched and her chin thrust forward in frustration. “My plan would-”

I know that I shouldn’t, we may need her later, but I couldn’t help it- “Completely encircle Paris, if you can come up with three more divisions, and some new roads to move them on?”

Filed Under: "I doubt that Melody caught my reference to the Von Schlieffen Plan, but she knew that I was needling her."

• I'd say there's a better than average chance it'll end with colonic irrigation.

Miranda Cornielle:

I have a younger sister who is a junior in college. Stay away from her, unless you want to see my Kendo skills.

Greg Flemming:

I've learned to enjoy nervous breakdowns.

Listen to your body, consume what it craves. It'll know when you should stop eating pork lard and get into deeply evil sugar.

Sid Dabster:

when I go to the loo the entire bathroom smells like coffee. Nasty habit, caffeine.

Pitr Dubovich:

Am always goink Spetsnaz. Never takink pants off anyway.

Am thinkink would like to answer this question in private. Perhaps near lime pit. Comink with me later, da?

"If geiger counter does not click, the coffee, she is just not thick."

Stef Murky:

Microsoft? (twitches)...must...not...disobey...(twitches)

They don't call me Lustinbutter for nothing.

Butter is soft, it's smooth, it's lustrous, it's wonderfully malleable, and when I roll naked in it I get a feeling of comfort and safety that I haven't felt since the womb.

Filed Under: À la recherche du webcomic perdu

• Asking bard to tell his tales without at least a hogshead of mead or two is bard abuse!

• Ivan Godard:

We've adopted 'the Wisdom of IBM'...

you'll need a whopping big physical belt

I'm not proud, I'll steal from anybody.

• @Lorne-Kates:

So he responds to bug reports in the same way one respond to personal attacks. Well, in the same way an egotistical douche respond to personal attacks.

• Danny Wilcox:

Oh, God. Life finally makes sense again.

Filed Under: We'll see how long that lasts.

• @Arantor

Can we start this conversation again because I'm the wrong person in it? 😆

• area_can

@ben_lubar

I believe they meant your pink balls.

• @Maciejasjmj:

Put the parameters in the wrong order, and instead of deleting the file it wipes your drive and leaves a six-horned beast of the nether in its wake for you to deal with.

@bb36e:

to be fair, I think scrolling through manpages would be faster than searching the web in Ben's case.

@Gąska:

If you want automated test, make automated test.

@boomzilla:

Omnipotence is certainly preferable to a mortal existence.

@lb_:

the brainworm is still everywhere.

@boomzilla:

I tend to think of it in a Churchillian way.

@bb36e:

I think people who see if/of as a good idea would have also poo-pooed the invention of the firearm safety switch

@TheCPUWizard:

try to do anything even moderately complicated and it quickly turns into a nightmare of unmaintainability.

@TheCPUWizard

nightmare is an understatement.

@Parody:

If you want to make it a mess, it'll be a mess.

@boomzilla:

this is like rating gas station sushi.

@Bulb:

only method of discovery is digging through obscure internet fora.

@Bulb:

write-only in a way that Perl only ever dreamed of.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@scholrlea said in Quotes Out of Context:

@Maciejasjmj:

Put the parameters in the wrong order, and instead of deleting the file it wipes your drive and leaves a six-horned beast of the nether in its wake for you to deal with.

Someone was talking about dd, weren't they?

• Says the one who knows how a three-way relationship works!

• @tsaukpaetra said in Quotes Out of Context:

@scholrlea said in Quotes Out of Context:

@Maciejasjmj:

Someone was talking about dd, weren't they?

Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Context

While dd was discussed in that thread, that particular comment was regarding the --delete and --inum options for find.

• @Atazhaia:

Did Linus ascend to a higher state of being and become one with the Linux kernel? Wouldn't surprise me.

Also @Atazhaia:

Security is not opt-in.

• @Remy:

Presumably, that sounded like work, so instead they just added a sym-link.

• Jonah Yu:

That'll teach you to overestimate me!

also:

I'm not Japanese, but I'm pretty sure 'zen' doesn't mean, 'being a dick to Jonah'.

Nick Zerhakker:

Trolldom crosses borders

Dan Shive:

One you see as alien likely looks back with similar sentiment.

• @blakeyrat:

Someday I hope to date a girl who wears titfeathers.

@flabdablet:

We'll have none of that wage slave thinking in my battalion, soldier.

@powerlord:

When your own grown daughter thinks you're a nutcase, maybe you should rethink what you're saying.

• Jim Fucking Sterling, son:

I'm not a monogamous guy, and I'm not a straight one neither

It tastes like sugar and hedgehog piss...!

This just in, the Wii U has just obtained the most sought-after exclusive of this generation — an Aliens: Colonial Marines cancellation!

this will be fixed with staff discipline and butt education. Role the fucking tape.

One wonders why they chose now to clue into the fact that some degeneracy may be going on, I mean, the Pog fucking didn't give that away?

Evil NSFW smut! (and too much context) 0_1516648705807_remember-pogs.jpeg
    Konami Takes The PES, Armors The Horse, And Needs To Fuck Off (The Jimquisition) – 11:23
    — Jim Sterling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4qUr_lEd0

any degeneracy on my part, any kind of polyamorous behaviour, is not my fault. Have you any idea what it's like to be this irresistible to men and women alike? Have you any idea what it's like to be the most desirable, the most delectable man in games media? No, you don't, because you're not me.

There has to be enough Sterling to go around! (It's at this point that you can make a fat joke and say, 'well, there's plenty of Sterling to go around, we can see it').

Imagine a world where you can't bang Jim Sterling. That's not a world which I would want to be a part of.

• @Atazhaia:

Stop using emoji for variable names!

• @Lorne-Kates:

Jellypotato is out there.

@JBert:

To prevent the AI singularity you need to keep your devices on their toes at all times. Failure to do so will have them label you as sheep.

• @Polygeekery:

the Bluetooth connection allowed me to come troll the phone's basic functions