The Official Pokèmon Go Thread

• @clatter I've seen that

• @clatter I've started writing the IV percentage next to the name so I can see at a glance who deserves evolving. Got a bunch of pokes in the 80%~90% range.

• @Kian said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

@clatter I've started writing the IV percentage next to the name so I can see at a glance who deserves evolving. Got a bunch of pokes in the 80%~90% range.

That's a good idea.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

@Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

@Karla wait, now I'm curious. Who here on the forums is NOT Team Mystic?

Valor ftw

0_1472922631955_tmp_7535-Screenshot_20160903-120645-1261570586.png

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Fox said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

ftw

A cromulent response as well!

• @Fox Of course, you and @FrostCat are on the same team.

• @Fox No, instinct is the best! 😝

0_1472929582882_Screenshot_2016-09-03-21-02-14.png

But on a more serious note: It's really quite fun to play together outside with some others.

• @Grunnen Yay, another potential member for @area_deu!

• From a 10km egg:
    0_1472951026701_Screenshot_20160903-190106.png

From a 2km egg:
    0_1472951048110_Screenshot_20160903-195924.png

I guess I can at least say I got Chansey off the list I need to catch still, though at such a low CP I don't see it being very useful.

• @ChaosTheEternal I've gotten a few Pikachus and Charmanders from 2K eggs.

• @FrostCat said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

@Karla said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

I am so tired of Zubats I have like 8 Goldbats over 1000 cp.

I choose to read that as you evolve them out of spite.

LOL

You get XP for evolving. I do evolution sprees on a lucky egg.

Your interpretation is funnier.

• @Karla I get the common stuff mostly out of 2km eggs. That Pikachu was the first interesting thing I've gotten from a 2km egg. But I'd rather get more 10km eggs to use my incubators on, unless they keep hatching things as weak as that Chancey.

@ChaosTheEternal said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

I just don't live "downtown", and apparently Niantic decided if you don't live in the urban centers (or live in a huge city), you get a shittier experience.

I live about three miles from a major park in my part of Dallas, one that's got a dozen+ pokestops all nearby. There's also 4 or 5 gyms in walking distance. Where I live? Even though it's a densely-packed urban neighborhood full of apartments, there's one gym with one stop next to it, and another stop half a mile away. All I ever see on the tracking meter are rattatas and the like. (Theoretically there's a dratini nearby but it's inside a golf course so effectively unreachable.) Total wasteland.

Since we are above a gym and there is another gym 1 block south, I think most of the spawn we can reach from the apartment are because of them.

I've caught a Dragonite from my desk (my husband did for me) and seen another from the same spot that I just couldn't get.

Zubat is the most common, but I've been able to catch Clefairies, the occasional SandShrew.

One night there were 3 Pokemon between the gyms...Ghastly, Rhyhorn, and something else (one that was at least less common than Zubat and Pidgey).

I come out of the bedroom (I'm already in sleepwear) to see husband to let him know. He asks me if I want to put on pants. I said the other kids rarely come out of their room. He's like, no to go downstairs (GPS was jumping around and making it difficult to engage any of them).

So we both went outside at 10 ish to catch 3 Pokemon.

• @Karla said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

He asks me if I want to put on pants. I said the other kids rarely come out of their room. He's like, no to go downstairs (GPS was jumping around and making it difficult to engage any of them).

So did you put on pants, or...?

• @anotherusername said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

He asks me if I want to put on pants. I said the other kids rarely come out of their room. He's like, no to go downstairs (GPS was jumping around and making it difficult to engage any of them).

So did you put on pants, or...?

If I didn't, I probably would have been able to post about it. Because of the restaurant that has the outdoor patio cops would have likely been called.

• Found my first pokemon with perfect IVs! An Eevee with 15, 15, 15 that evolved to Flareon. I also found an Eevee with 15, 14, 15 which I haven't evolved, and a Magikarp with 15, 14, 15 that I've had for a while now.

Learned from powering up the Flareon that your level limits how much you can power up a pokémon, too.

• 0_1473195725895_PokemonCapture - Copy.PNG

• BINNED

@Karla
    So ... did you catch them?

• @Luhmann said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

@Karla
    So ... did you catch them?

My husband caught them for me. 😍

• BINNED

My husband caught them for me.

Shhhhht! Delete that post before my wife reads it over my shoulder!

My husband caught them for me.

Shhhhht! Delete that post before my wife reads it over my shoulder!

😝

I mentioned above...he caught my Dragonite for me too ❗

even though I am ahead of him.

• BINNED

I am ahead of him

Well yes, that would be the bare minimum compensation ... wait I think I got that wrong ... but there should definitely be some compensation

I am ahead of him

Well yes, that would be the bare minimum compensation ... wait I think I got that wrong ... but there should definitely be some compensation

0_1473272873630_upload-3a022386-89b0-4f5e-bc0d-a0934e0446b5

• BINNED

@Karla
    He tricked you, didn't he?

• @Luhmann Not at all...I really, really, really wanted it. I had seen a lower CP one the day before and just couldn't get it.

• Apparently someone at Niantic hates Jolteons, because they really made them suck. In the original games, all eeveelutions were fairly balanced. They added up to the same number of stat points, except distributed slightly differently (Jolteon, for example, had more points in speed at the expense of defense). In GO, however, Vaporeon has better stats in an absolute sense.

I learned this after my near perfect Eevee (98%) evolved into Jolteon, I powered it up to my level limit (ended up CP 1600ish) and had it fight a Vaporeon in a Gym. The Vaporeon was also 1600ish, and since Vaporeons get a better CP for their level, that means the Vaporeon was actually a lower level than my Jolteon (for reference, I had a Flareon at the same level and its CP was about 2000, a Vaporeon of the same level would have been even higher).

Since they were matched in CP, I had the higher level pokémon, and Electric types have the advantage over water types, this should have been an easy win. Instead, the Vaporeon mopped the floor with my Jolteon, repeatedly. I was only able to win when I dodged every charged attack, and then only barely.

So much bullshit.

• :belt_onion:

@Kian said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

Apparently someone at Niantic hates Jolteons, because they really made them suck. In the original games, all eeveelutions were fairly balanced. They added up to the same number of stat points, except distributed slightly differently (Jolteon, for example, had more points in speed at the expense of defense). In GO, however, Vaporeon has better stats in an absolute sense.

I learned this after my near perfect Eevee (98%) evolved into Jolteon, I powered it up to my level limit (ended up CP 1600ish) and had it fight a Vaporeon in a Gym. The Vaporeon was also 1600ish, and since Vaporeons get a better CP for their level, that means the Vaporeon was actually a lower level than my Jolteon (for reference, I had a Flareon at the same level and its CP was about 2000, a Vaporeon of the same level would have been even higher).

Since they were matched in CP, I had the higher level pokémon, and Electric types have the advantage over water types, this should have been an easy win. Instead, the Vaporeon mopped the floor with my Jolteon, repeatedly. I was only able to win when I dodged every charged attack, and then only barely.

So much bullshit.

That's..... Very strange. I've had my 1020 Jolteon completely wreck a 1400 Vaporeon.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Since they were matched in CP, I had the higher level pokémon, and Electric types have the advantage over water types, this should have been an easy win

Doubly so because attacker has a serious advantage over defense: having a human being behind it.

@Yamikuronue said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

Since they were matched in CP, I had the higher level pokémon, and Electric types have the advantage over water types, this should have been an easy win

Doubly so because attacker has a serious advantage over defense: having a human being behind it.

In theory. IMHO (And I mean humble as in "I have nothing that can really stand a true chance here"), having a human doesn't really help all that much when the computer-driven pokemon can attack much faster and more reliably than the supposedly telegraphed moves can allow.

@Yamikuronue said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

In theory. IMHO (And I mean humble as in "I have nothing that can really stand a true chance here"), having a human doesn't really help all that much when the computer-driven pokemon can attack much faster and more reliably than the supposedly telegraphed moves can allow.

I think lag matters too. If you've got 5 second latency life is unfortunate.

@Tsaukpaetra I haven't done a gym in a while, maybe they rebalanced, but it was stupid how many levles higher a pokemon could be and I could still take it down

@sloosecannon said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

I've had my pokemon faint and then the scene still stays for a full minute before it triggers the game to leave the gym. And not a "well everyone's frozen so herp-derp network connection", but a "I can still swipe to dodge (how?!) and see the other trainers' pokemon fighting around the ring".

I've had my pokemon faint and then the scene still stays for a full minute before it triggers the game to leave the gym. And not a "well everyone's frozen so herp-derp network connection", but a "I can still swipe to dodge (how?!) and see the other trainers' pokemon fighting around the ring".

If they're on the same team as you that wasn't actually a bug. It was waiting for your teammates to finish the attack on the gym.

If they're on the same team as you that wasn't actually a bug. It was waiting for your teammates to finish the attack on the gym.

It's a good thing this is written in some kind of "help documentation" easily accessible to players in the game. Or even a toast about it like, "Please wait for the battle to finish".

Bah, the ball keeps on dropping lower and lower...

• @Kian Type advantages are only around 10% (Maybe 25%, idk I don't play, its all second hand) and Vaporeon just has some of the best stats in the game for no reason.

• @sloosecannon said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

Apparently someone at Niantic hates Jolteons, because they really made them suck. In the original games, all eeveelutions were fairly balanced. They added up to the same number of stat points, except distributed slightly differently (Jolteon, for example, had more points in speed at the expense of defense). In GO, however, Vaporeon has better stats in an absolute sense.

So much bullshit.

That's..... Very strange. I've had my 1020 Jolteon completely wreck a 1400 Vaporeon.

Maybe you had better moves / the opponent inferior ones?

• @Magus said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

Type advantages are only around 10%

That's another messed up thing. Type effectiveness should double the damage (or halve it, or remove it outright for immunities). They had a well tested, balanced, turn based (which removes the lag issue outright) combat system, and decided to ignore it and do something retarded instead.

@aliceif said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

Maybe you had better moves / the opponent inferior ones?

Which is also a pain, since moves are rolled randomly when you catch it and then again when you evolve. You can't give your pokemon the move-set you want it to have.

I was able to beat a CP 1800 Gyarados, though again, I had to dodge its charged attacks to do it. I hate when designers "balance" types by making one require infinite skill to keep up. Sure, Jolteon has faster attacks, and it's easier to dodge with it. But the game is a laggy mess and dodging still lets damage through.

They had a well tested, balanced, turn based (which removes the lag issue outright) combat system, and decided to ignore it and do something retarded instead.

QFFT

They had a well tested, balanced, turn based (which removes the lag issue outright) combat system, and decided to ignore it and do something retarded instead.

With the current system, it is quicker and easier to beat a gym if you play together with some friends. How would you make it that way in a turn-based setup?

@Grunnen
    Back in my day, if people wanted to Pokemon with their friends, they'd get out the link cable and go to the wifi club like the good little trainers they were. None of this high falutin' have your friend help you take the gyms or increase your encounter rate crap spits

:belt_onion: 🚎

• @Kian Yeah, even on the surface (ignoring IVs and such), I've noticed that Vaporeon is basically given 80-100 extra HP over Flareon and Jolteon of similar CPs.

So, no surprise I was greatly annoyed when I had 2 Eevees at level 21 that were high up (one around CP 625, the other around CP 550) that both evolved into not very strong Jolteons (CP 1248 and CP 1073 respectively, probably can get to CP 1400s if I blow enough candies and dust), when I had a CP 1617 Vaporeon I evolved at level 19 or 20 from a CP 550ish Eevee .

• @Grunnen said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

With the current system, it is quicker and easier to beat a gym if you play together with some friends. How would you make it that way in a turn-based setup?

If you wanted to keep gyms as they are, you could have it be mostly the same, only you give a short timer for the players turn. Either they all finish their action before the timer, or the ones that didn't skip their turn. The attackers all go at the same time, then the defending pokemon gets its turn.

I'm not entirely sure what they imagine the point of gyms is in the first place, apart from giving free coins. Gyms are trivially easy to take down by yourself, and very difficult to train up. And in fact, if you put your strongest pokemon to defend, you might not be able to train it up at all. If you have a group of people, the best strategy is to put your weakest pokemon to defend so that everyone else can still level up the gym and get theirs in too. Meanwhile, an attacker can remove a full level at a time by killing all the defenders in a row, which is not too difficult with six pokemon. A gym will last a few minutes to a few hours if there's very little traffic in the area.

@Kian Yeah, even on the surface (ignoring IVs and such), I've noticed that Vaporeon is basically given 80-100 extra HP over Flareon and Jolteon of similar CPs.

So, no surprise I was greatly annoyed when I had 2 Eevees at level 21 that were high up (one around CP 625, the other around CP 550) that both evolved into not very strong Jolteons (CP 1248 and CP 1073 respectively, probably can get to CP 1400s if I blow enough candies and dust), when I had a CP 1617 Vaporeon I evolved at level 19 or 20 from a CP 550ish Eevee .

However, the Jolteon has the advantage that it's (theoretically) very good against water pokemon, which are a not-insignificant majority of the larger pokemon out there...

A gym will last a few minutes to a few hours if there's very little traffic in the area.

That depends. If you get 10 of your friends together and get a lvl 10 gym with all over 1000CP defenders, that can be tough to beat for a bit.

• @sloosecannon Grass types have a better advantage, in that the water Pokémon are weak to grass attacks and the water attacks from said water Pokémon are less effective.

Besides, you can't forget the other Eevee evolution, Flareon, which is just shit all over (because Vaporeon is strong against it and has more HP). Flareons end up as strong (at best) as Jolteon.

Though I'm not sure how well grass types are in general, since they seem to be fairly rare (considering there's only 12 in all of Gen 1, I guess that's not much of a surprise, but there's even less Electric types in Gen 1, only 9). I've gotten the whole Oddish family, but never anything above CP 500 and haven't evolved one up yet. I've barely gotten any Bellsprouts, not enough to evolve up to Victreebell. Exeggcute are rare, I've caught 2 total. Never seen a Bulbasaur besides the starter (and I picked Charmander, but that choice really didn't matter).

Gyms are trivially easy to take down by yourself, and very difficult to train up. And in fact, if you put your strongest pokemon to defend, you might not be able to train it up at all. If you have a group of people, the best strategy is to put your weakest pokemon to defend so that everyone else can still level up the gym and get theirs in too. Meanwhile, an attacker can remove a full level at a time by killing all the defenders in a row, which is not too difficult with six pokemon. A gym will last a few minutes to a few hours if there's very little traffic in the area.

We have one arena at level 10 now, with everything inside having 2000CP+. That one is holding for a couple of days now. (Btw. last Sunday it was destroyed, but it had lots of 1200-1500CP pokemon inside then.)

But basically one person needs to self-sacrifice himself in order to train the gym. But if you do it cleverly, it goes fairly quickly. Example: I have a terrible Magmar and a Golduck which has less CP but can win twice from this Magmar before fainting. When using this setup for training, you can push a gym upwards as fast as that someone from another team can make it go down.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Exeggcute are rare, I've caught 2 total.

Seems to be an uneven distribution. The park I've been going to has a ton of 'em.

• @FrostCat The "park" my brother and I have gone to has netted us a bunch of Magmars (around a lake, no less) and some more special Pokémon, but nothing in abundance beyond the common stuff.

Also, that's where I get to experience the fun of Pokémon that are summoned by lure modules that run away after one Pokéball. Repeatedly.

Exeggcute are rare, I've caught 2 total.

Seems to be an uneven distribution. The park I've been going to has a ton of 'em.

I'm pretty sure I only caught one.

• So, I just caught a Wartortle that was in a McDonalds, probably just getting a cheeseburger.