Mafia 8 - Game Thread

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Words go here!

@Mafia-Players

Plan is to start Thursday. Your role PMs will be coming out shortly, and you will be added to private channels around the same time.

THE RULES

1. If by some miracle you’re able to post in this thread and aren’t a living player, do not post and report the situation to me. If you want to comment on the ongoing game or berate a player for being an idiot, PM me to apply to the official peanut gallery. Similarly, Do not edit, bookmark or like posts. You shouldn’t be able to, but if you manage to find a clever way to do it anyway, Club Ded will not be amused.
      Important: do not report posts in any faction/private thread. Contact me directly; I will handle all moderation issues in the game threads.
    2. When in doubt, ask questions via PM. I may or may not answer depending on the nature of the question, but you can be sure all communication via chat will be kept private.
    3. You are not allowed to quote your Role PM directly, or any other private communication with me for that matter.
    4. I am an unrepentant bastard! I may lie to you. I will probably lie to you. You may not have complete information at any time.
    5. Do not contact other players or Club Ded members outside of threads marked for this purpose, and do not discuss the game anywhere but in those threads. The Big Brother watches you.
    6. Do not encrypt, obfuscate or alter your posts, or use content which can be altered (outside-hosted images, oneboxes, etc.). Report all posts which infringe this rule via a PM to me.
      6)You have to post in the main thread once every 24 hours. Infractions will be punished by the will of Club Ded. Sucking up to the GM and/or Club Ded is allowed.
    7. Roleplay is very strongly encouraged!

This game starts on July 14, 2016 at 8AM Eastern US (http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/baby?iso=20160714T08&p0=419&msg=Mafia+8&font=slab). The thread will be unlocked to signal the start of the game.

DAY 1: DAWN

You are all nuclear missile silo operators - you spend your lives buried deep in the earth and don't get out much. Six weeks in the hole, five weeks on base, 1 week leave. It's almost like you were software developers, but you have better tans.

Right now, you are all in the hole - starting a new six week rotation. Cleverly, crews are randomly swapped between silos to prevent any permanent bonds from forming - none of you really know each other.

You assemble with your commander, @ben_lubar, in the mess for the morning meeting. These things are always boring - technical advisories, doleing out cleaning and upkeep duties, and assignment of keyholder duties. Every once in awhile, you get advised of some political situation brewing within the greater world that may actually cause you to need to do your damned jobs and fire ze missilez!

This morning, though, it's just black coffee (apparently the sugar and creamer didn't make it down during the resupply window) and boring maintenance junk.

ben_lubar blah blah blah inspect the turbopumps wah foo baz quux clean the fissile material etc.

Suddenly, things get interesting. There is a mighty, earth-shaking roar. Concrete dust starts falling from the ceiling. Furniture and fixtures rattle. There is the unmistakable sound of the surface ventilation units slamming shut and the changeover to internal atmosphere only.

ben_lubar Wat?

The lights go out. It is pitch black - nothing has power and you're a hundred feet under ground.

Things settle down. Silence reigns. You can't hear anything. You SHOULD be able to hear the sounds of the other silos nearby launching, but you don't. Maybe they've been taken out in a preemptive strike? Maybe it's just an earthquake and ventilation malfunction? Who knows. And why the hell isn't the generator running?

There is a single, deafening bang and the sound of a corpse hitting the ground.

The generators start. The lights come on. @ben_lubar lies dead on the ground. His pistol, short a round, is lying at his side.

Yamikuronue Someone killed him with his own weapon!

Communications are down. You're locked in. There's at least one killer here with you, and given the circumstances, they probably want your missile. You'd best do something about that.

(The game has not yet begun)

@Mafia-Players
    All of you should have a rolecard PM and those of you who should be in a private discussion group should have an invite pending.

PM me if you have any questions or think I screwed something up.

Paging @Mafia-Players .

You may proceed.

Day 1 will end Monday at 16:00 Eastern US.

• Bloody hell, what happened?

Yami, you're closest to the body - you must have some idea who did this.

• mod

It looks like a gunshot wound, straight to the head; there's... oh god, there's brains on the fucking floor! Okay, um, thinking analytically, there's his pistol here -- it's definitely his, there's a dwarf drawn in sharpie on the grip, and "I <3 Go" written along the barrel. Looks like it's only one round down, so it wasn't fired before it was used on him.

• the timing of the powercut can't have been co-incidental surely?

who's missing?

• @Yamikuronue are you sure that's the gun that fired the shot? is the gun warm?

• sockdevs

Accalia blinks, visibly shaken (but not stirred)

"Rollcall then? Very well."

Accalia snaps to attention and salutes where ben_lubar would have been standing if he was still alive and had called for the rollcall .

"Gunnery Seargent Accalia, reporting for duty sir!"

• mod

@all_users I mean, is it safe to touch it? I don't want to leave finger prints.

Yami hovers her hand over the gun, a few inches from touching it

I think it's a bit warm, yeah? Hard to tell. It's pretty warm in this room, too.

• Impossible Mission - B

I am both shaken and stirred. Something sinister is going on. The timing of all these events are definitely not a coincidence

• whos in charge now, Sergeant, if the commander's dead?

• Impossible Mission - B

@all_users I think it's a bit risky to put someone in charge at this point in time. There's always the possibility of putting a traitor in charge by accident. We need to sort out this situation before deciding on a leader.

• @Yamikuronue said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

It's pretty warm in this room, too.

Yeah, I think we should all be trying to get the hell out of here before the ceiling comes down...

On second thoughts, I guess someone should stick around in case they want us to fire the missile - that can't be me though - damned if I know how the trigger thing works.

• sockdevs

@all_users said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

whos in charge now, Sergeant, if the commander's dead?

Accalia thinks for a moment then shrugs.

"Anyone seen the louie? ben_lubar had a louie to keep an eye on us NCOs, i presume command devolves to them."

Accalia pauses for a moment

"I guess, unless anyone present outranks me.... i would technically be in charge.... if the chain of command still holds at least."

• mod

@japonicus Why would we fire the missile? Do you have orders I don't know about? Shouldn't we be establishing a chain of command and reporting into base first? You sound really hasty to get someone killed.

FOS Japonicus.

OOC: Applying the strategy I discussed prior to the game

• @Yamikuronue said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

Shouldn't we be establishing a chain of command and reporting into base first?

Sure why not. Who's the comms officer around here?

Why would we fire the missile? Do you have orders I don't know about?
    He lay off me. How's a Private (First Class), supposed to know what to do in a situation like this - I'm here to blindly follow orders and pick up the trash. I just sort of got the impression that as a missile crew we should, kind of, like be vaguely concerned about defending the realm. Looks to me like we're under attack and someone ought to be doing something.

Your attitude is really strange - I'm the one concerned for our safety - hardly trying to 'get someone killed'.

What's your role in all this?

• OCC: if only I could do quoting properly. :headdesk:

• mod

@japonicus said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

What's your role in all this?

Look, Ben was standing RIGHT THERE. I'm lucky I wasn't shot by mistake. I'm just a BMAT, I was assigned quality inspection duty not ten minutes ago and then bam, darkness and Ben's dead. What the actual fuck, you know?

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Yamikuronue said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

Look, Ben was standing RIGHT THERE

so, you didn't have far to go to kill him and get back in place?

What the actual fuck, you know?

Indeed, we are in a sticky situation

• sockdevs

What the actual fuck

Accalia grins slyly

"Sorry, but ben_lubar said i wasn't allowed to do that while on duty anymore."

• mod

@Jaloopa I'm sorry, I don't believe I know you -- what do you do here other than throw shade?

• @japonicus said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

Who's the comms officer around here

we don't have any working communications equipment it seems - cut out when the power went

cant even hear a thing from any of the other silos either...

• Impossible Mission - B

@accalia Maybe, but he's not here to stop you anymore, is he? ;)

what do you do here other than throw shade?

I'm nobody really, just a low level technician. Mostly I clean clogged nozzles on the chicken soup machines.

I'm afraid an uneducated type like me doesn't know what a BMAT is. Some sort of beer mat?

• sockdevs

cant even hear a thing from any of the other silos either...

Accalia nods

"I think we can assume that the other silos are similarly affected by whatever mechanical malfeasance we are blighted with here today. If we have traitors in our midst it seems plausible that so do they. At any rate we would be well served to focus on our own ranks before all else."

Accalia nods again, more emphatically this time.

"We have a traitor, or traitors amongst us. we must discover who they are. to that end I call upon @japonicus to explain their actions over this last hour."

(FOS @japonicus)

• mod

@Jaloopa Ballistic Missile Analyst Technician. I inspect and maintain the missile electronics, launch system, guidance, everything but the bit that goes boom.

• @accalia said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

"We have a traitor, or traitors amongst us. we must discover who they are. to that end I call upon @japonicus to explain their actions over this last hour."

You know damn well what my actions over the past hour were - I was standing around with all you lot listening to Ben drone on about his Imp Game (or whatever it's called).

Don't you go pointing no fingers - from where I'm standing it looks like you haven't said much to clear your name. Rather a lot of fluff and innuendo and no hard facts.

But before things get too aggressive we ought till everyone's checked-in.

• mod

@japonicus You're very, very defensive for a routine question from what seems to be our ranking officer.

@Yamikuronue anyone is likely to be jumpy after being lulled into a near-comatose state by Ben's announcements, then woken up by the sound of a gunshot. My ears are still ringing, I can barely hear any of you

• mod

/snorts loudly enough to startle himself from his impromptu nap in a conference room chair/

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Wait, what's going on? Guess this isn't one of my break weeks, is it? Heh, heh.

/glances around sheepishly, when he notices Ben's body/

Ah, fiddlesticks, who shot Ben?

• sockdevs

Don't you go pointing no fingers

Son, this is the military, either i need to salute you, buy you a beer, or point a finger at you. If you're telling me it's not finger pointing then which of the other options is it?

As for my actions, here i am maintaining the state or our armory when all the lights go out and the aircon cuts out. Lotta loud noises and i felt the earth move. Then the lights came back on, I'd just finished buttoning my shirt and made it out here when yonder body was discovered.

On second thoughts, I guess someone should stick around in case they want us to fire the missile

Can we even trust the missile system right now? Or the orders we get? It seems like someone or some group has the whole facility under control. I'm highly confused.

@Vault_Dweller said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

We need to sort out this situation before deciding on a leader.

Amen to that. We know each other so little that it would be a fatal mistake to make such a decision before getting to know each other better. I'd be highly suspicious of anyone who suggests the opposite.

@japonicus You're very, very defensive for a routine question from what seems to be our ranking officer.

And you seem more aggressive than shocked to me, to be honest.

• mod

@asdf I've been around the block a few times. Nothing as bloody or sudden as this, but you learn to cope or you wash you, you know? The important thing is to put pressure on some people while it's raw -- people who are honestly shocked act differently than people who have something to hide.

• mod

@accalia said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

As for my actions, here i am maintaining the state or our armory when all the lights go out and the aircon cuts out. Lotta loud noises and i felt the earth move. Then the lights came back on, I'd just finished buttoning my shirt and made it out here when yonder body was discovered.

So you weren't at the mandatory briefing.

Again. Seems awful suspicious, Gunny.

• @asdf said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

Or the orders we get?

we're not getting any orders from outside any time soon - comms are out

cant even contact the next silo over

The important thing is to put pressure on some people while it's raw

This is exactly what I'm trying to do as well. As I don't know any of you, I don't trust anyone at this point, and I'd advise everyone to be suspicious of anyone who acts like he or she is in charge.

@abarker said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

Again. Seems awful suspicious, Gunny.

Can anyone actually confirm that @accalia is the highest-ranking officer in this room?

• @accalia said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

Son, this is the military, either i need to salute you, buy you a beer, or point a finger at you. If you're telling me it's not finger pointing then which of the other options is it?

Point taken, Ma'am. Private ('First Class') @Japonicus reporting for duty Ma'am. I can sweep the bathrooms, pick gum out of the keyboards and am a dab hand at polishing boots, Ma'am.

I thought this assignment was swell. The day I earned my missile badge, I was damned chuffed and my Ma was so proud. Thought I had a good steady career ahead of me, a secure job in the military, and wouldn't ever go near a front line.

Then I discovered what it was like spending half my life in a grotty closed-over basement in the dessert. I really don't like cramped spaces.

And then to top it all, this shit happens - hope you realise that even if we get out alive our careers are over - absolutely over, man - we'll all be blamed for this cluster fuck. Life's just so unfair.

So, begging your pardon Ma'am, I really don't see I've anything to do now except get out of here alive and hope that as many of us as possible make it with me. So once we're out I'll happily salute, buy you a beer and take any finger pointing you care to dole out, but I want someone to take command and work out a way out-of-here first, before the roof caves on us.

• sockdevs

@abarker said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

Accalia looks sharply at @abarker

"No, i was ordered to see to the armory."

"I regret that i missed the mandatory briefing, the donuts they bring in for those are a real treat, but i had orders, and i obey my orders."

A slight pause as Accalia's face grows steely.

"Even if it should mean my life, I always obey orders, for the greater and eternal glory of our country!"

• mod

@accalia And if you had orders to betray the rest of us and shoot your commanding officer?

• @asdf said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

Can anyone actually confirm that @accalia is the highest-ranking officer in this room?

well its certainly not me - Im only a private; this is my first week here in the silos

• sockdevs

@accalia And if you had orders to betray the rest of us and shoot your commanding officer?

Accalia thinks for a moment.

"If said orders were validly issued by a superior officer, and no orders issued by a higher authority conflicted..... yes. However, ben_lubar was the highest ranking person in this bunker, and he had access to all our official correspondance, so even if i had been so ordered he would have been aware of it and would have taken steps to prevent me from carrying out those orders, should any such exist."

Accalia turns to point to ben_lubar's office.

"The records should be somewhere in there if you would wish to search for them. Such an order as you describe would have to be a written order and thrice signed, a verbal order of that magnitude is not valid. So such an order would have a record in the official files."

@asdf said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

well its certainly not me - Im only a private; this is my first week here in the silos

I would like very much for to not be the highest ranking person here. I much prefer having someone above me to hand out orders. That's why i never applied to officer's training school, The buck never stops with an NCO.

• *stumbles into the room rubbing a bleeding cut on his head *

"What the bloody hell happened? Who cut the lights? I swear if this is some prank I'll be reporting anyone involved."

@e4tmyl33t Did you miss the mandatory meeting too? Even I was there, and I'm just a technician. If Ben were still here he'd be threatening to shoot you

• @Jaloopa

"Keep an even tone, techie. That's 'Lieutenant' to you. I was running on my way here when those damned lights went out and I ended up bashing my head on one of the damned infinite pipes that're all over the fecking walls around here."

*looks around the room *

"Bloody hell, what happened to him? Which one of you asshats shot the commander?"

@e4tmyl33t said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

Keep an even tone, techie

Sorry sir. Didn't spot your stripes sir. I'll just get back to the chicken soup machine sir.

Jaloopa attempts a salute, then retreats hastily

• mod

@e4tmyl33t That's what we're trying to figure out, sir. Are you the ranking officer on site right now?

• sockdevs

@e4tmyl33t said in Mafia 8 - Game Thread:

That's 'Lieutenant' to you.

Accalia snaps to attention, her heels clicking as they snap together. Finally there's someone in the room that outranks her!

"Gunnery Sargent Accalia, Present and accounted for, SIR!"

• @Yamikuronue

"Unless Command has another commander stashed away in a locker somewhere in this fecking place, I guess I am now."

*kneels down by the body *

"Well, shite. Command's gonna have a shitfit about this when they hear about it."

*stands up and turns to address the room *

"Alright you lot, I know we haven't been here long, but we can't let this feck this installation. Who's on comms? Get us back up and running, we need to report this to Command ASAP. We need to nail this feckhead before he offs anyone else."

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.