Day 1 tactics

• area_deu

@Yamikuronue said in Club Ded: Bushido Mafia II:

which was her version of a tell

I just hate Day1 mostly.

• @aliceif Maybe we can short circuit day 1 by having the game randomly lynch someone and go straight into night phase.

• BINNED

@xaade everyone gets accused by the bit and has to defend them self

• @Jaloopa Let's just IRL Russian Roulette.

Actually, no, serious note.

Have a simulated Russian Roulette, and that becomes the first person that dies, rather than having a flavor death.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

• mod

@Jaloopa said in Club Ded: Bushido Mafia II:

@xaade everyone gets accused by the bit and has to defend them self

I tried that with Reverse Mafia. Ok, well not everyone got accused, but some police did get put in specifically bad light by the opening crawl, as did a couple gangsters. It was basically ignored by the players.

I forked this because I want to focus in on what we can do to play better as town on day 1 >.> consider it a mini-retrospective of the past few games.

• @ben_lubar said in Club Ded: Bushido Mafia II:

@error said in Mafia Discussion Sheet:

Hooray the townies are idiots.

After this game, we should sticky that quote to the top of the Mafia forum.

• mod

@Yamikuronue said in Day 1 tactics:

I forked this because I want to focus in on what we can do to play better as town on day 1 >.> consider it a mini-retrospective of the past few games.

One thing that I think was a mistake in the first few games – and it cropped up again this game – was bringing up the previous games. On day one, that information tells you practically nothing. The first few dozen posts don't generally give you enough to compare against previous games and deduce anything meaningful. We need to cut that out. I mean, from an individual frame of reference, you can't really escape it, but there's no reason to bring up past games in discussion during a game.

But how to replace that? Each of our games has had a good opening crawl, a nice setup that either sets up pressure for specific players, or makes it easy for players to put pressure on each other in the context of the game, without breaking character. Not only that, but several of our GMs have even gone to the effort of providing a bit of a character backstory for our players. We should take advantage of all this on day 1 and put pressure on each other to see reactions. Day 1 should be a day for townies to create information by using the story that is built for the game.

Take Reverse Mafia, for example. The opening crawl specifically mentioned @ChaosTheEternal, @cloak15, and @aliceif. @ChaosTheEternal was named in a position of authority (the Boss's son), and once the game started he promptly buggered off to a different room. That should have been a good reason to put some pressure on him (though he was technically a townie). @cloak15 was described at the outset as getting in a fight with @ben_lubar, which appeared to lead to the pre-game deaths of @ben_lubar, @boomzilla, @loopback0, @Jaloopa, @metac, @accalia, and @Placeholder. That would have been a good reason to put pressure on @cloak15, but it was pretty much ignored. And @aliceif was the dirty (former) police chief (though she was technically a townie) who ran in just as the doors were being barred, but the only person who tried to pressure her on day 1 was @asdf.

In spite of that, it seems that one of the scum (@heterdox) got a little jumpy and revealed himself by voting a bit too early on D1. That, combined with some unintended data leakage from the @LynchBot regarding a Loved status, led to the town being able to get a scum on D1.

Basically, I think we have excellent setups from our GMs, we just need to use them better. Put pressure on people, see how they react, pay attention to how others react, and be ready to shift focus on day 2. And what better way to do that than to improve our RP (yes - even me)? We need to do better taking on the roles our GMs provide us, and add a dash of suspicion and paranoia.

While I'm on the topic or RP: Bushido Mafia II sucked at RP!!!

• Is this a forum RPG type thing? Sounds interesting.

• Impossible Mission Players - A

@e4tmyl33t said in Day 1 tactics:

Is this a forum RPG type thing? Sounds interesting.

Let me introduce you to the Mafia Category where we play a game called Mafia. :)

It's usually entertaining for all.

• @Yamikuronue said in Day 1 tactics:

Or we could get good. Just a thought.

Naaaaah.

@abarker said in Day 1 tactics:

I mean, from an individual frame of reference, you can't really escape it, but there's no reason to bring up past games in discussion during a game.

Sweet, sweet metagaming. Someone being unusually quiet, careful, outlandish, loud, trying to lead the town when they have never done so as townies? As good a reason as any to suspect them.

I know some people seem to hate that, but it's a valid information gathering tool. And you'd've (you the players, not @abarker) nabbed @aliceif this game if you paid attention to her chipping in more than usual starting day 2.

Day 1 should be a day for townies to create information by using the story that is built for the game.

When you have nothing, it's okay, but it's ridiculously easy to toss aside by scum and town alike. And when you have meta, you don't have nothing.

Put pressure on people, see how they react, pay attention to how others react, and be ready to shift focus on day 2.

It doesn't work too well if those are just empty threats. As scum, would you actually feel pressured and more liable to make a mistake if someone started to jump on you based on entry post? No, because it's a null tell and everybody knows that. Pushing is good, sure, but pushing for roleplay is ultimately pointless - use the meta, use harmful decisions on day 1, use a suspicious chainsaw defense, use things that actually are tells, even if only slightly so.

• @abarker said in Day 1 tactics:

bringing up the previous games.

I didn't. Even though thoughts tied to them were in my head, they were meta, and I kept them out of this game.

In fact, I believe I've never brought up anything regarding previous games when I've played.

he promptly buggered off to a different room. That should have been a good reason to put some pressure on him (though he was technically a townie).

But, at the same time, very well fit the role I was given. And I played it well even up to the lynch, where I'd returned to place the double vote.

And there was a little bit of pressure put on, but it got flipped over onto @heterodox, like you said.

Bushido Mafia II sucked at RP

I made an effort to not break character, had no OOC posts, and tried as best I could to not respond to metagaming talk. The closest to talking meta I got in this game I did so while still maintaining character.

The lack of effort from others and the hammering on that "adding flavor = targeted as scum" is why I didn't bother including * actions * in my posts, only talk. And quoting was to keep context better than the last game I was in, where I tried avoiding quoting but found it made my posts lose context and probably become hard to follow, especially when I replied to multiple people in one post, which I also tried to avoid here.

@Maciejasjmj said in Day 1 tactics:

Someone being unusually quiet, careful, outlandish, loud, trying to lead the town when they have never done so as townies? As good a reason as any to suspect them.

Honestly, to me, that's totally fine, as compared to something like their pattern of logging-on which is metagaming in the bad sense.

would you actually feel pressured

use harmful decisions on day 1

If nobody puts any pressure, what harmful decisions are there? What anything is there? We tend to have a day 1 where town sits around with their thumbs up their butts waiting for scum to lead them.

• BINNED

While I'm on the topic or RP: Bushido Mafia II sucked at RP!!!

I tried. We get suspicious of roleplay in this town though

@Jaloopa said in Day 1 tactics:

We get suspicious of roleplay in this town though

So let's decide not to?

as compared to something like their pattern of logging-on which is metagaming in the bad sense.

Honestly I wouldn't really be above exploiting that if it wasn't forbidden. It can be manipulated just fine, and if scum tries to pull the "whoops I wasn't there" card, they deserve to be pointed out on it.

If nobody puts any pressure, what harmful decisions are there?

No-lynching? *gets shot*

Maybe there will be none, maybe some scum will get overeager trying to take the reins, maybe someone will start deflecting a bandwagon off someone else way too eagerly. It's not the only thing the town should be on the lookout about - again, there's meta, there's roleplay slippage, etc. - but it's certainly something that can be used against scum on day one.

So let's decide not to?

Overfluffing is a scumtell in general, though. Makes it easy to appear active when you're not.

Overfluffing is a scumtell in general, though

Yeah, but the tell isn't "I feel like playing up my character", the tell is "talks a lot but says nothing of substance."

Yeah, but the tell isn't "I feel like playing up my character", the tell is "talks a lot but says nothing of substance."

Yeah, but fluff is a good excuse to do that. "Oh come on, I was just roleplaying and getting into the character, you want to lynch me for that?!"

• mod

Exactly. Compare how @Yamikuronue played her character in Reverse Mafia to how @DoctorJones played his in Corporate Mafia. In Reverse Mafia, @Yamikuronue was a reported that was effectively blackmailed into helping the gangster-townies. Her posts in that game either helped the discussion, built up her character as a scared, cowed reporter, or both. @DoctorJones, on the other hand, mostly posted descriptions of the scene and things around him. He described what he saw or what he did, but said very little, and he turned out to be a scummy-umbrella.

One is roleplaying, the other is deflecting with fluff.

I think this advice is pretty poignant for us:

the first step would be “Act like a crowd”. Don’t try forcibly to shine every game. Don’t see mountains where there are mice. Some players act as though they have to dominate every game, regardless if they have a clue or not. Such behaviour will confuse the other players, possibly making them follow you in vain, possibly making them lynch you and waste precious time. Moreover, it may also lead to Cops wasting investigations on you, Docs wasting protection on you after assuming you are a Cop, etc. I’m not saying you shouldn’t try and deduce Mafias; I’m saying that unless you really have something to contribute, shutting up isn’t a bad idea at all.

We tend to get about 3-4 cooks on the first few days, and nobody willing to follow anyone else's lead. While letting someone lead you is bad (you want to use your brain), focusing on 3-4 targets is suicide; nobody can get consensus. The guide to focusing on scum talks about the following:

suspicious players are inter-changeable in this step. You cannot lynch more than one player at a time, so only pay attention to one target at a time. Do not implicate anyone else with your target. [...] Do not get into a logical debate with your target. This always ends with “I have my views, you have yours”. Only reply to what is necessary.

The idea is to pick someone, apply so much pressure they crack, then see if they crack like a townie or crack like a scum. If scum, lynch them. If townie, unwagon and pick another target. We have pretty much never done this, and certainly never day 1.

how @DoctorJones played his in Corporate Mafia

Yeah, that was a perfect example of how scum like to use roleplay flavor to hide. I didn't trust my instincts and call him out on it until way too late.

Yeah, that was a perfect example of how scum like to use roleplay flavor to hide.

To be fair, you have townies doing that as well (cough @RaceProUK in Cultafia cough).

We have pretty much never done this, and certainly never day 1.

I think it worked quite fine in the first Mafia (sorry). Actually I think we've been playing better then than we are now...

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@ChaosTheEternal said in Day 1 tactics:

bringing up the previous games.

I didn't. Even though thoughts tied to them were in my head, they were meta, and I kept them out of this game.

In fact, I believe I've never brought up anything regarding previous games when I've played.

he promptly buggered off to a different room. That should have been a good reason to put some pressure on him (though he was technically a townie).

But, at the same time, very well fit the role I was given. And I played it well even up to the lynch, where I'd returned to place the double vote.

And there was a little bit of pressure put on, but it got flipped over onto @heterodox, like you said.

Bushido Mafia II sucked at RP

I made an effort to not break character, had no OOC posts, and tried as best I could to not respond to metagaming talk. The closest to talking meta I got in this game I did so while still maintaining character.

The lack of effort from others and the hammering on that "adding flavor = targeted as scum" is why I didn't bother including * actions * in my posts, only talk. And quoting was to keep context better than the last game I was in, where I tried avoiding quoting but found it made my posts lose context and probably become hard to follow, especially when I replied to multiple people in one post, which I also tried to avoid here.

I started out RPing but it's tough to stay in character when most players aren't. Makes me feel silly and out of place.

I think it worked quite fine in the first Mafia (sorry)

Alright, let's play-by-play. Game starts here: https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/17481/pbp-release-mafia/104

I don't think we had anything resembling logic for, oh, 83 posts.

150 posts in, I realized we were going way off track and tried to rally. I love @Maciejasjmj 's quote here:

okay, somebody head off to some Mafia forum and look up "how to kick the game off", because we clearly have a problem here.

Alright, post 315 we seem to be making headway: Abarker pressuring Jaloopa. Jaloopa replied with a counter-pressure in post 330. It fell apart by 338.

She's got this strange cheerfulness going on, as if nothing happened, trying to get us all drunk, and speaks in third person like some pulp-fiction villain.

Oh right, I forgot: Maciej started this nonsense about lynch all the roleplayers >.> I was acting pretty scummy in hindsight; I'd never played before, but I've played Werewolf, and in social contexts that became a crack game of lynching for BS reasons and waiting to lose, so I started playing that way.

Going after me earned Maciej a vote, which is one of the major problems we have on day 1: whoever speaks up gets voted for.

Weng went after me for speaking up at all:

Yami has been trying to steer us in the direction of organization and investigation. Or tourism and electing a mayor. Basically, doing SOMETHING. And then, poof. Silence.

when really, trying to get the discussion started and then sitting back to watch where the chips fall seems pretty Town, isn't it?

The case against me built, ringleaded by Maciej, using entirely arguments based on my roleplay flavor: I "drank too much wine", "didn't seem sad enough", "am a witch". He lead us all by the nose the whole game, I seem to recall, and wasn't town, so we should be on our guard for that. Which I was:

When I was trying to get to the bottom of who sounded scummiest, you came up with a distracting accent. Now that I've said my piece, you're acting like I've never said anything.

This is how I behaved under the pressure of 11 votes:

As I am, in fact, innocent, my only hope is that if Maciej turns out to be doing this because he is the murder, that he is brought to swift justice.

If my supposition is correct that we are both innocents being tricked by a third party, I would hope he is able to properly discover that person, for his sake as well as my own.

12 votes for @Yamikuronue (@Maciejasjmj, @JazzyJosh, @weng, @jaming, @Onyx, @jaloopa, @DoctorJones, @swayde, @lolwhat, @riking, @ChaosTheEternal, @aliceif)

I regret that I have but one life to give for my town :crying_cat_face:'

If you remember, Jazzy, Placeholder, Weng, Swede, Abarker, and Arantor were scum, and Maciej was self-aligned, so there were only 3 non-town in the 12 that killed me. Town didn't think critically and responded to pretty much any argument thrown out there.

• mod

Yeah, that was a perfect example of how scum like to use roleplay flavor to hide.

To be fair, you have townies doing that as well (cough @RaceProUK in Cultafia cough).

You're right, she did to some degree. But she was nowhere near as bad as @DoctorJones. about 75% of his posts were nothing but setting the scene.

• mod

(@Maciejasjmj

Huh, that's weird …

Oh right, I forgot: Maciej started this nonsense about lynch all the roleplayers >.>

Ehehe. To be fair, I haven't played this game before either, and I was pretty convinced I could pinpoint scum by analyzing the roleplay.

Huh, that's weird …

@abarker

(@abarker

WONTFIX ASDESIGNED

12 votes for @Yamikuronue (@Maciejasjmj, @JazzyJosh, @weng, @jaming, @Onyx, @jaloopa, @DoctorJones, @swayde, @lolwhat, @riking, @ChaosTheEternal, @aliceif)

If you remember, Jazzy, Placeholder, Weng, Swede, Abarker, and Arantor were scum, and Maciej was self-aligned

I think the game might work better at larger scale. I went in kind of blind. I didn't (as advised) lurk moar beforehand. I basically used the wiki as my only reference.

• @error Yeah, this one was kinda short and quick, and missing a lot of key players.

@error Yeah, this one was kinda short and quick, and missing a lot of key players.

Quick?? I want a lightning game where a day lasts 24 hours. Or 12.

• @error said in Day 1 tactics:

Quick?? I want a lightning game where a day lasts 24 hours. Or 12.

12 is organizationally impossible - timezones et al. 24 is maybe doable, but with so little players it's a game set to be over in a weekend.

a game set to be over in a weekend.

And that's a bad thing? This one would have lasted roughly a week, which suits me fine.

Put pressure on people, see how they react, pay attention to how others react, and be ready to shift focus on day 2.

+1. As I said before, you always gain some information using that tactic, even if it doesn't help you identify the scum right away.

And what better way to do that than to improve our RP (yes - even me)? We need to do better taking on the roles our GMs provide us, and add a dash of suspicion and paranoia.

I'd love to, but I suck at RP, especially if I have to do it in English. I'm trying, though.

I'd never played before, but I've played Werewolf

+1. Maybe that's why I sometimes come to wrong conclusions: I'm used to playing in person, and it's easy to misjudge people over the internet.

I guess I still have to adapt my tactics to this newfangled internet thing. :belt_onion:

Mafia 2, day one starts here

We started out well, running down our flavor claims (we were told everyone had a job, and so we started rattling them off). Flavor claims like "job on the ship" or "samurai clan" rarely map to your mechanical role, so they make a great thing to start talking about early on, give people something to work with.

Our scum were me :wave_tone3: Placeholder, Dreikin, DoctorJones, and Onyx.

ReverendRyan started off the random votes by moving against Xaade. Vault Dweller... moved for a no-lynch. Sure why not. Maciej used this as an excuse to go for VD. At this point, nobody else should make a random vote so the focus could be on VD, because he's given cause and thus is a higher-priority target than Xaade.

Instead, placeholder votes for Maciej when he didn't need to. Bad play by scum. Accalia and PleegWat join the no-lynch bandwagon, while I point a finger at Maciej, nursing a grudge for the previous game's day 1 lynch ;) Also a bad scum play; I was hoping that the lingering sentiment about him playing too damn well the game prior would build momentum rapidly.

ReverendRyan plays well by unvoting, but he should have switched targets instead, to re-focus.

DJ introduces his Health and Safety schtick, a good play in general but bad for the moment; we should have encouraged the badnwagon, not played distractions.

Xaade votes for PleegWat.... randomly? Can't seem to see why. Another bad Town play. The momentum against VD is now well and truly dead.

In what seems incredibly obviously a character change from the way I'd been talking about day 1 (and have always talked about day 1), I advocate nolynch:

So the only actual vote is for Vault Dweller... I feel like the only thing to really debate on day one is lynch vs no-lynch. Pros and cons?

Accalia agrees: no information to go on. Vault dweller agrees. Jaloopa agrees, with a side-note about Maciej being an arsonist. At this point I've got all three of them eating out of my hand. Placeholder joins the bandwagon. Maciej lets VD escape.

Aliceif correctly cottons on to DJ's game. But he wriggles free, because there's no voting and no real analysis of his behavior.

Reverend Ryan remains on point. At this point he's our best mafia player on Town side. And look, I wilt under a little pressure, easily recanting my pro-nolynch stance. It just felt too blatantly scummy, I figured townie-me would back down and play nice.

AliceIf puts a little pressure on Xaade, but it fades rapidly.

Abarker tries to stir up more action, which spurs Maciej to a scarily accurate analysis that makes me once again worried about him. He even counters Accalia's pacifism, accurately pointing out it'd give scum a head start. Now I put pressure on Vault_Dweller, when I'm starting to feel the heat a little and am concerned my previous actions will come off scummy. DJ rescues the situation with more Health and Safety nonsense.

Onyx squeaks in just a single post to stave off checkin, and by now I have reverendryan desperate to see some coordination and putting pressure on VD again. DJ, worried about being too passive, slightly busses my nolynch stance but does not join the bandwagon. Here you see how if the Town were comitted to acting as a group, we'd have been easily spotted as not following on... but it's herding cats.

AliceIf notes that no defense is being mounted, and DJ puffs up his chest and brags a little.

Maciej notices the bandwagon forming, but I deflect, offering only another safe target to ease his suspicions and make myself seem like more of a team player. Accalia makes the same damn argument we keep having time and time again, and Onyx pretends to be convinced.

Aaand all that action fizzles out into fluff again.

Abarker tries to get back on track! And misses literally everything that I've pointed out today, while marking himself as dangerous and prompting me to be very cautious in how I handle him to try and win him to my side. But good hustle there.

Unfortunately we here get sideswiped into the first Abarker vs Maciej battle of the wall o text. This is why we shouldn't spend a lot of time arguing logical points, instead focusing on pressure. There was almost nothing at stake here; bandwagon inertia was skyrocketing, and they were debating finer points of who to apply pressure to. This is why the guide says "one suspect is as good as another in the early stages". Just pick one.

DJ turns this against Maciej, but votes for Xaade instead. Jaloopa agrees. Xaade's defense:

Well I suppose kill me then.

You get no benefit, either way.

I'm not an enemy, you lose.
    I'm an enemy, enemies gain credibility, you lose.

It's way too early to be bussing anyone, so that didn't help his credibility much.

Oh! Right! The Xaade Maneuver! Haaa. Good times. Announcing you're pulling a Xaade tends to draw responses like:

Okay so the other targets that have votes are Xaade... not touching that can of worms, and Maciej.

(I was really sore over Day 1 in Game 1, okay! >.> laser-focused grudge match)

The real reason I didn't vote was

could he be some very strange third party, like a Jester?

because the play was just that bad.

Onyx is again late to the party, barely making it past checkin. Maciej votes, Onyx votes, and JazzyJosh hammers. Day 1,

Do ya'll want me to do the rest of them? I think it's amazing in hindsight: the game is won or lost on day 1, it really is.

@Yamikuronue Man... Xaade's complaint was that his role was boring so day 1 was boring. Being aware of all this subtext, it's fucking gripping re-reading all this. I guess that's the difference between open eyes and being led around like a sheep. Scum is more fun because town sucks

• Just make day 1 shorter. It will always be boring.

About RP, I have zero skills at it and it's not going to improve. I'll stay away if a game asks for only RP-capable players.

• mod

Scum is more fun because town sucks

That belief is part of the problem. People think that town sucks, so they pay less attention. They have less information. They rely on others go feed them reasons to vote. Here's what I think we need: a string of straight up vanilla games to get us to learn how to be better at being town. Too many of us rely on night actions for information and that's bad because it's unreliable. Not only that, but night information can be manipulated so easily.

Remember in Mafia I when I got the town to waste a day verifying that I was a tracker? Or when GM @TwelveBaud handed @izzion information that contradicted @Weng's claims about what he did at night, and I still got everyone to doubt @izzion's report even after his death? @Maciejasjmj's instinct's about me being scum were good, but he should have either primed me or put the pressure on me earlier in the game.

Townies need to start realizing that the game is fun, no matter what role you have.

And with this post in mind, I'm thinking about modifying the game I have in queue to be a vanilla game. I understand that those who already have games in queue may not want to change their plans, but Mine is far enough out that I don't actually have much set up yet.

People think that town sucks, so they pay less attention.

Sorry, I meant, Town players suck at being Town, not "town isn't fun".

a string of straight up vanilla games to get us to learn how to be better at being town.

Accalia ran one that was mostly vanilla. Should I analyse that day 1? When we all thought it was vanilla but one?

@fbmac said in Day 1 tactics:

Just make day 1 shorter. It will always be boring.

No, THAT attitude is what's making day 1 suck so hard. Did you even read?

• @Yamikuronue did you just pull the "not with that attitude" meme?

was it on purpose?

@fbmac No, I'm actually kinda pissed off at your attitude. If you read this thread at all, you'd see there's way more going on day 1 than you noticed.

• @abarker said in Day 1 tactics:

but he should have either primed me or put the pressure on me earlier in the game.

Welp, I tried priming night 1. Didn't work too well, and when I've learned of the existence of trackers around it was much too risky.

Besides I was kinda scared to go after you being a third party - after all, it's easier pointing finders when you don't have anything to hide.

Mafia 2

Pulled an @izzion in that one. Not my proudest moment to be honest, I totally misjudged that game - I was at least right about @xaade being a townie holding an idiot ball (an argument that reoccurs scarily often - we keep policy-lynching players who do dumb stuff in the given game, then we're suddenly holding the short end of the stick), but I focused on @abarker's "compartment" slip-up and its bad covering on day 2 and it all went to the gutter.

I focused on @abarker's "compartment" slip-up and its bad covering on day 2 and it all went to the gutter.

:wave_tone3:

I noticed :kissing_heart:

I noticed

Yeeeah, and you wriggled out of it, Mistress of Scumdom.

@Maciejasjmj I did. I figured if I kept you focused on Abarker, and you lynched him, his innocence would clear me.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Yeeeah, and you wriggled out of it, Mistress of Scumdom.

That was one of the most entertaining moments of being in Club Ded; it's great watching someone get out of trouble.

Mafia 2, day one starts here

Wow. @Weng can write. I would read that novel.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.