WTF Bites

• @remi said in WTF Bites:

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

One of my YouTube playlists no longer exists. 1500 videos I'll never find again. I didn't delete it, in fact I added a video to it just this morning. :wtf: YouTube?

EDIT: Found this email. The playlist was unlisted, who could have flagged it??

Maybe there is a maximum list size and by adding one video you just crossed the line? I know, it doesn't make sense (maybe something something bots something?), but 1500 seems like a pretty large number, so that might be the unusual bit in your case...

I have other playlists with over 4000 videos, so it's not a size limit.

• @zecc said in WTF Bites:

(Keeps reading)

:facepalm: :donotwant:

Don't even want to know...

• @bb36e Slowbeef got a video of the game "Michigan: Report From Hell" censured because he put the title of the game into the video title. He reuploaded it and titled the reupload something like "Michigan: Report From Down There" and it was suddenly "friendly to advertisers".

YouTube's system is dumb as shit, is basically what I'm getting at. I wouldn't be surprised if they just do a keyword search. The fact that the actual game is named "Michigan: Report From Hell" doesn't count towards anything at all.

• @hardwaregeek you're right, you don't.

• area_can

@djls45

pwned

Haha yeah, they totally 'pwned' them by messing around with an online poll!! What will this crazy hacker think of next!!

• @bb36e Well yeah. Pwned is short for "poll owned"

• Considered Harmful

@bb36e said in WTF Bites:

this crazy hacker

Yes, the hacker known as 4chan.

• WTF of my day: So, we have to supposed software which is supposed to gove us the ability to control the PCs of the pupils (i.e. disconnect internet, blank the screens and stuff).

It also has an exam mode: It locks the internet, disconnects all network shares (and connects a special exam share) and also activates a "run lock" (i.e. only whitelisted software will run). It's also supposed to collect all files from that special share after you deactivate the exam mode and send it as a zip to the teacher.

That's the plan.

In reality, some PCs simply don't get activated - pupils can still surf the web, or don't get the special share or the run-lock.

Which makes that mode a bit useless. Upon being told of that problem, the guy in charge promptly blamed our network and pointed towards a possible switching some pupils could have build with network cables, connecting one port to another directly.

From what I understand, this would most likely make at least the whole switch unusable (and create problems in the rest of the network - also, our switches are not intelligent enough to detect this kind of thing).

I guess the guy is talking out of his ass.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@rhywden said in WTF Bites:

I guess the guy is talking out of his ass.

Probably. At best that switch will just mentally shrug and kill the ports. Otherwise as you said the switch will end up spamming the network to hell and maybe kick everyone off the network (kinda).

Regardless, that "hack" wouldn't let them selectively bypass network traffic like that.

• Considered Harmful

0_1511297046668_Screenshot_20171121-124336.jpg

how about no

@pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

0_1511297046668_Screenshot_20171121-124336.jpg

how about no

I guess you don't want to use that Google Apps account on that device then. 🤷♂

But then, is it really a loss?

• Considered Harmful

@tsaukpaetra My high school email, which expires in December anyway? No, I really don't think giving up complete device control is worth it.

@tsaukpaetra My high school email, which expires in December anyway? No, I really don't think giving up complete device control is worth it.

I think you should attach a burner phone (or perhaps an Android Emulator) to it and see what policies are set.

• @tsaukpaetra the answer is all of them, obviously.

• @pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

Yeah, my former university did that as well - while everyone got an email address (and was required to check up on it regularly), trying to connect to that one on your mobile then yielded notification screens like "Okay, if you connect to this account you'll also have to give the admin the right to remotely wipe your phone."

Yeah. No.

See if there are any options online to enable IMAP, or at the very least POP3. Then you can add the account that way and bypass the device policy nonsense. With IMAP you can also use a desktop app like Mozilla Thunderbird to move or copy the emails to your personal account so you have a record of them instead of them just vanishing.

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

With IMAP you can also use a desktop app like Mozilla Thunderbird to move or copy the emails to your personal account so you have a record of them instead of them just vanishing.

And you don't with POP3? Or are you talking about using IMAP on the personal account side?

• @tsaukpaetra I don't think you can upload emails to an account over POP3. At least, the only email provider I tried it with didn't support it.

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

@tsaukpaetra I don't think you can upload emails to an account over POP3. At least, the only email provider I tried it with didn't support it.

What I meant was downloading emails so you have a record of them instead of them just vanishing.
    Then I suggested maybe a secondary part, uploading the messages to another email account, which would require IMAP or something other than POP3, since that protocol doesn't support that.

• @tsaukpaetra ah yeah, we're on the same page. It doesn't really matter which method is used to download the emails.

• Java Dev

Found this receipt while cleaning:

0_1511306645459_hurtigruten-printer-error.jpg

• An internet connection is required for these icons to load in Google Now. The ones that did load were already shown in the preview that I tapped on to get here.
    0_1511312734223_853a2f72-2d28-40a6-b905-39e3181b90dd-image.png
    Can they not be packaged into the apk?

• Considered Harmful

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

Can they not be packaged into the apk?

The smaller your APK size is, the more downloads you'll get. It's a perception thing.

• @pie_flavor unlikely to affect me very much, considering that the Play Store steadfastly refuses to show me an app's size at any point except while I'm actually downloading it.

• kills Dumbledore

@anotherusername It's possible to find it, but as soon as someone does the play store is immediately updated to move it to somewhere even more incomprehensible

@jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

@anotherusername It's possible to find it, but as soon as someone does the play store is immediately updated to move it to somewhere even more incomprehensible

This. Currently it's under "read more"

0_1511371045621_Screenshot_20171122-101700.png

• @tsaukpaetra oh hey, you're right. So it is.

• Considered Harmful

Go home notifications, you're drunk.
    0_1511401857005_20171122_174158.png

Be grateful you have apps that decide their notifications should grace your lockscreen.

Nobody texts me. Nobody trends my redsits. Nobody seems to do everything in their power to make sure the only thing I see is my unlock pattern (which is 14589 BTW).

• Considered Harmful

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Be grateful you have apps that decide their notifications should grace your lockscreen.

Nobody texts me. Nobody trends my redsits. Nobody seems to do everything in their power to make sure the only thing I see is my unlock pattern (which is 14589 BTW).

I mean, you're practically guaranteed daily notifications if you subscribe to /r/aww, emails are notifications unless you're @blakeyrat, and the remaining ones are YouTube subscribe notifications, image download notifications that I forget to delete (does anyone ever care? seriously? an eight hundred kilobyte image does not need a progress bar), and Verizon telling me how fucking awesome its latest app is and could I please please please pay attention to them.

• :headdesk:

• 🚽 Regular

Answer, for those too lazy to follow the link:

er, that was my fault, I suggested it. Sorry.

Pretty much the whole story is in the commit. The maintainer of man is a good friend of mine, and one day six years ago I jokingly said to him that if you invoke man after midnight it should print "gimme gimme gimme", because of the Abba song called "Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight":

Well, he did actually put it in. A few people were amused to discover it, and we mostly forgot about it until today.

I can't speak for Col, obviously, but I didn't expect this to ever cause any problems: what sort of test would break on parsing the output of man with no page specified? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that one turned up eventually, but it did take six years.

This tweet by the guy above:

https://twitter.com/marnanel/status/132280557190119424

which resulted in this commit:

diff --git a/src/man.c b/src/man.c
    index 1978329..48af3c0 100644
    --- a/src/man.c
    +++ b/src/man.c
    @@ -1154,8 +1154,16 @@ int main (int argc, char *argv[])

debug ("\nusing %s as pager\n", pager);

-	if (first_arg == argc)
    +	if (first_arg == argc) {
    +		/* http://twitter.com/#!/marnanel/status/132280557190119424 */
    +		time_t now = time (NULL);
    +		struct tm *localnow = localtime (&now);
    +		if (localnow &&
    +		    localnow->tm_hour == 0 && localnow->tm_min == 1)
    +			fprintf (stderr, "gimme gimme gimme\n");
    +
     		gripe_no_name (NULL);
    +	}

section_list = get_section_list ();

• @homobalkanus Meh ... I thought it was amusing.

The real issue was apparently a bug that caused "gimme gimme gimme" to be printed for "man -w" as well as just "man". ("man" without arguments doesn't really do anything useful, it always just prints "What manual page do you want?")

an eight hundred kilobyte image does not need a progress bar

What if you're using Milwaukee PC?

• @lb_ said in WTF Bites:

One of my YouTube playlists no longer exists. 1500 videos I'll never find again. I didn't delete it, in fact I added a video to it just this morning. :wtf: YouTube?

Guess I'll be using youtube-dl to backup the titles and IDs of my remaining playlists for now...

EDIT: Found this email. The playlist was unlisted, who could have flagged it??
    0_1511203147131_900a08e4-0013-4a60-87a2-a708aa6df119-image.png

Well today I got this:
    0_1511445269674_d38ccbcb-8ec6-481d-b985-dc4fb3ed3a32-image.png
    And the playlist is back. The only thing I did was use the Submit Feedback link from the "this playlist doesn't exist" page at the playlist's original URL saying I didn't delete it, and that was before I even saw the email about it being removed. I guess a human at YouTube actually saw that and did something about it, so yay.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

emails are notifications unless you're @blakeyrat

Or if you've got our email system, which has managed to break itself so that I can't receive them on my phone at all. I can explain why, but I can't be bothered because it isn't something with a nice WTF to it. Just a grinding series of minor “well, that's annoying…” and their consequences.

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Nobody texts me.

If you give us your phone number, we'll gladly annoy you at any hour of the day or night :trollface:

• area_can

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Nobody seems to do everything in their power to make sure the only thing I see is my unlock pattern

I don't see how this is a problem

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

Or if you've got our email system, which has managed to break itself so that I can't receive them on my phone at all.

That sounds like a plus to me!
    dcon: 🍻 ⛱
    <later, back in the office>
    :phb:: Why didn't you answer my email?
    dcon: Luck.

• area_can

(this was patched in october)

summary:

1. atom features a markdown preview pane that renders the input markdown file
    2. atom uses some pretty weak sanitization plus CSP to prevent external scripts from running
    3. a bug in a bundled/view-related HTML file allowed query parameters in files to be injected and run as JS
    4. this meant that opening a markdown file with the contents <iframe src="file:///Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/apm/node_modules/clone/test-apart-ctx.html?foo&alert(1)"></iframe> caused alert(1) to be run.
    5. this also allows window.top.require('child_process').execFile('/Applications/Calculator.app/Contents/MacOS/Calculator',function(){}); to run
    6. atom's package repository browser parses and displays package READMEs as markdown/html if the user clicks on the package from package search (NOT if they install it, users can view package details without installing)

emails are notifications unless you're @blakeyrat

I still can't even put myself in the head of someone who thinks they need an OS notification so they can snap-to every single time a "Get 20% coupon at InternetRetailer.com!" comes into their email box. What the fuck kind of weird genetic mutation do you have that makes that sound like a desirable thing?

(I bet the guy at Microsoft who wrote the "your virus scan finished and there's nothing wrong" notification has the same condition. If there's nothing wrong, then there's no user action required. If there's no user action required, why is this a notification?! Fuck you!)

• area_can

@blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

so they can snap-to every single time a "Get 20% coupon at InternetRetailer.com!" comes into their email box. What the fuck kind of weird genetic mutation do you have that makes that sound like a desirable thing?

do you sign up for those emails? what the fuck kind of weird genetic mutation do you have that makes that sound like a desirable thing?

• @bb36e Regardless of whether or not I want the coupon, "you have a coupon" is still not something worthy of a notification. Notifications are for things that require user interaction, not just completely random shit like, hm, to give an example: "your phone is charging over the USB cable". Fucking Android.

Even if you do have that weird genetic mutation, the fact that Android assumes everybody has it is just as stupid. Because if you don't, you're just fucked.

• What. The. Actual. Fuck?

double x = coefficients[index];
    std::printf( "value = %g (%s, %s)\n", x, std::isfinite(x) ? "is finite" : "not finite", std::isnan(x) ? "is nan" : "not nan" );

value = nan (is finite, not nan)

• @blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

"your phone is charging over the USB cable". Fucking Android.

My Android phone doesn't have a notification for that. The battery indicator change a bit and I see the percentage of charge beside it 🤷🏼♂

• Banned

@blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

I still can't even put myself in the head of someone who thinks they need an OS notification so they can snap-to every single time a "Get 20% coupon at InternetRetailer.com!" comes into their email box. What the fuck kind of weird genetic mutation do you have that makes that sound like a desirable thing?

Job hunting.

• Banned

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

What. The. Actual. Fuck?

double x = coefficients[index];
    std::printf( "value = %g (%s, %s)\n", x, std::isfinite(x) ? "is finite" : "not finite", std::isnan(x) ? "is nan" : "not nan" );

I don't see anything wrong with that code except it's printing useless information.

• @gąska said in WTF Bites:

I don't see anything wrong with that code except it's printing useless information.

Look at the printout

• Banned

@dcon oh, right. Well, have you stepped in with debugger to see which function is wrong - printf or isnan?

My bet is on printf, but who knows.

• area_can

@timebandit I'm getting it on stock android 8.1. I wanna say it was added in 7.0 if you connect your phone to a PC.