WTF Bites

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Karla said in WTF Bites:

No, I am just thinking when I used to regularly use Dove. If I remember, I will try.

Give it a shot. You might want to go to a craft fair or something and see if you can get something unscented, too.

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

I don't even remember installing IE11

LIke I said before, it normally comes through Windows Update.

• If surgery was done the way people do software:

• @Jarry said in WTF Bites:

@Onyx
    http://www.videogamemuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Golden-Game-260-in-1-NES-Pirate-Cart-1.jpg

Congratulations on winning the trip to Wirii Wonka's magic game factory!

• @groo Compare and contrast with Archbishop Thomas Cranmer (deceased).

• Fake News

@groo said in WTF Bites:

If surgery was done the way people do software:

Second most famous case

Amputated the leg in 212 minutes, but in his enthusiasm the patient's testicles as well.
    — [18]

Yeowch, I hope they did half off the hospital bill as well.

Liston's most famous case

Amputated the leg in under 212 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he dropped dead from fright.

That was the only operation in history with a 300 percent mortality.
    — [23]

Well that escalated quickly!

• 0_1472596031003_upload-f64b8291-6db1-406d-9e0a-7357fda270e4

That's after several hard refreshes. No trace of the build that finished "a minute ago".

• :belt_onion:

@ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

0_1472596031003_upload-f64b8291-6db1-406d-9e0a-7357fda270e4

That's after several hard refreshes. No trace of the build that finished "a minute ago".

Server side caching?

• @sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

Server side caching?

It'd be really weird if they cached the table but not the line under the repo name.

@sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

Server side caching?

It'd be really weird if they cached the table but not the line under the repo name.

Yes it would. It also wouldn't be very surprising.

Server side caching?

What is very surprising is what they're showing on that page right now:

0_1472620335137_Screenshot 2016-08-31 at 00.11.35.png

Server side caching?

Errr.... Someone's spamming the "build" button? Or... Uh... Yeah, idk. Something's fucked somewhere

Server side caching?

Errr.... Someone's spamming the "build" button? Or... Uh... Yeah, idk. Something's fucked somewhere

There is no build button. It builds each time the GitHub repo is pushed to.

There is no build button. It builds each time the GitHub repo is pushed to.

I've seen things like that when I've done major surgery on a repo to remove a broken commit that the service was building; it keeps asking what the update from a version is, and gets told that there is no such thing, making it very unhappy. Don't know if that's the problem here, but I think it's linked to the fact that git's idea of what a branch is is a bit tenuous.

• @dkf nope, pretty sure it's a Docker Hub problem, considering it's affecting lots of big repos too:

https://hub.docker.com/r/microsoft/dotnet/builds/

@ben_lubar OK, it's just that the symptoms look very much like things I've seen our Jenkins builds get into in the past. Purging the local checkouts and redoing from fresh (a slow business given the size of the particular repos involved) cleared things in our case.

• I'm the :wtf: in this case.

I needed to move a relatively minor change to a different EOLed application then the one I normally talk about (and I am really the only one that works on it).

I've done very little on this application in the last year or so.

• Sit with the DBA to compare objects with Redgate
    • Check off which objects to move
    • I go move the front-end
    • hilarity** ensues (error emails, app times out)
    • I send email letting people know it is a problem and suggest email to all users
    • Go back to DBA move the object that was missed
    • still getting emails and timing out
    • go to infrastructure guy to get him to send an email
    • he asks what should it say, "Karla broke site" (I say yes)
    • go back to desk and make sure it works for me now
    • go back to infrastructure guy and tell him it is back up
    • "You're kidding me, right?"
    • He said he'll send the email in 10 minutes
    • Works for me!

I am the :wtf: :headdesk: 🍹 🍷 (I could really use that margarita emoji right about now)

Is it too early for tequila?

**panic really, I hate breaking production.

• @Karla said in WTF Bites:

Is it too early for tequila?

Never, it's always 5 o'clock somewhere in the world :p

• @TimeBandit yup. For example here it's already quarter to six.

• Notification Spam Recipient

0_1472680148993_upload-d62b1e7f-b0ef-498a-8158-352731365e72

That is all.

• @Tsaukpaetra looks like they implemented the login form with their generic form engine.

• Dupa

Something for currently absent @blakeyrat to fuel his hatred for mobile. Site showing history of bike rental from my city's bike rental program. This table is very informative.

0_1472707977481_image.jpeg

@Tsaukpaetra Ah, you don't need to write anything in the “make a cookiekeep me signed in” box. They just wanted you to know.

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

make a cookie

Note to self: Next time I'm implementing one of those, call it "Bake me a cookie 🍪 (Keep me logged in on this computer)"

• Dupa

@kt_ ok, so I decided to try out our city bike rental system once again. I knew it could be a bit shakey, becaus a new company has won the contract this year, but they're gonna be ready only in October or November, so the city decided they'd turn it on nevertheless with the gear and hardware they have from the previous years.

So I took a tram to a stop I knew I could rent a bike. I walk to the station, click a button: "station is in service mode". What the fuck? I just checked they'retheir website, I checked the news section, all there was was that they're gonna turn some stations off for the International Young Christians Bow To God And Pope Day, the station in at is not listed. There's more: on the map showing bike availability they say there are 5 bikes I can rent. Fuck this, it's probably just a glitch. So I catch a tram and ride one stop further, cause there's a station too. Guess what? "Station in service mode". So I catch a tram for the third time and ride it to another station much closer to where I work and I'm gonna see. Maybe I could rent it only for a mile or so? I really want to burn just a little bit of that fat I've started to grow on my belly. :(

• kills Dumbledore

@kt_ said in WTF Bites:

I just checked they're website

and are they website?

• Dupa

@Jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

@kt_ said in WTF Bites:

I just checked they're website

and are they website?

good catch. Have a :pendant:

@kt_ said in WTF Bites:

"station is in service mode". What the fuck?

“Our shit is fucked somewhere and we haven't fixed it yet.”

• 🚽 Regular

I'm playing Obduction, by the creators of Myst and Riven.

• If I load or create a new game directly, the load screen doesn't go away. The game starts normally, I can hear my footsteps, but I can't see anything.
      There's a workaround: in the main menu simply change language back and forth before starting. (what's that got to do with anything? 😵 )
    • Changing your graphics settings doesn't actually change anything if you then simply go back to the main menu. You have to click "Apply". That's... acceptable. But a warning would be nice, you know?
    • Pressing space lets you take a photo (I occasionally forget and out of FPS habit try to jump and take a photo instead). The photograph isn't instantaneous, there's a fraction of a second of delay, for effect, which would be fine but...
      space also makes you drop any document you're reading. Want to take a photo of that book page or letter? Instead have a photo of it being put down.
    • Pressing escape while not in the middle of something opens the game menu, as it should. But pressing escape again, which one would expect to get you back to the game, does nothing.
      But, if you select any option from the menu and then press escape twice, it will first go back to the main menu from whatever screen you opened and then back to the game, as it's supposed to.
      Except: if you select "Quit" it will prompt you if you are sure and pressing escape then will send you directly to the game. Pressing escape then, will directly reopen the "quit" prompt. And pressing escape then will do nothing.
    • The photo gallery is horribly broken:
      • Clicking a thumbnail can: a) do nothing, b) open a photograph which is completely different from the thumbnail you clicked, c) open the correct photograph (this is rare).
      • Broken by design: when looking at a photo you opened, pressing escape or clicking "Back" at the bottom left of the screen takes you to the main menu, not the gallery. To go to the gallery you need to press "Close" at the top right corner. That's not broken broken, but it's very unintuitive. There's no directly jumping between photos, not even using keyboard shortcuts.
      • Delete is broken too. Photos I thought I deleted are still around and I'm missing photos I don't remember deleting. Not being able to trust thumbnails it's hard to say what exactly is going on, but I can't find some critical photos even if I open them all one by one.

Other than that, I'm actually enjoying the game so far. It's a little unnecessarily heavy of the graphics card, and so far much easier than the other games, but I'd still recommend it if you're in the market for this type of game. I haven't found any bugs in the gameplay itself, which is what really matters. Just don't expect it to be perfect.

• 🚽 Regular

I assume "onebox messes signature aligment" is a known bug?

0_1472739884562_Capture.PNG

StackOverflow, how I... err... love?... thee...

0_1472740211300_upload-fa4f777b-8d4b-4912-ac39-4f8fc01ba72c

if(boolean_value)
        return true;
    else
        return false;

It's so much safer because you don't have to worry about weird behavior when a bool is returned.... err... wait, no that's not right...

if(boolean_value)
        return true;
    else
        return false;

if(!true ? !false : boolean_value)
        return true ? true : true;
    else
        return false ? false : false;

@ben_lubar That's better, it protects against bugs caused by tri-state booleans!

@ben_lubar That's better, it protects against bugs caused by tri-state booleans!

It's also useful in fortran where you can end up with different boolean types (logical vs logical(kind=c_bool), plus the GNU extensions logical(N) for N ∈ {1, 2, 4, 8}). After 15 minutes of googeling, I decided to give up and write the following

logical(kind=c_bool), value :: arg
    logical :: bool
    if( arg ) then
        bool = .true.
    else
        bool = .false.
    endif

Incidentally, if anybody knows a prettier solution to this, I'm all ears.

Filed under: No syntax highlighting love for fortran?

• 🚽 Regular

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

[Obduction bugs]

Well, credit where it is due. Looks like a new version came out yesterday and it presumably solves some of the things I mentioned.

https://www.gog.com/forum/obduction_r/changelog said:

• Fixes for loading screen getting stuck in some cases
    • Improvements for screenshot functionality (Game no longer hangs, can take screenshots of books)

if(boolean_value)
        return true;
    else
        return false;

Needs more contorted logic!

if (!(boolean_value != false))
        return Boolean.Parse("false");
    else
        return Boolean.Parse("true");

• Ooh, ooh! I have one that's more wrong!

public static bool operator ==(SomeType left, SomeType right)
    {
      if(left == null)
        return right == null;
      return left.Equals(right);
    }

The reason this is wrong is super obvious!

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Magus said in WTF Bites:

Ooh, ooh! I have one that's more wrong!

{
      if(left == null)
        return right == null;
    }

The reason this is wrong is super obvious!

Why is that wro-
    Oh, I see:

That is..interesting. My mind expects that comparison to null wouldn't use the override, but obviously it has to otherwise you couldn't special-case null comparisons in your custom operator ==. Gonna have to reconfigure that bit.

• @Dreikin I like that you had to search for a link to the website named after the problem.

But yeah, the fix is typically:

{
      if((object)left == null)
        return (object)right == null;
    }

• Chalain wrote:

Okay, there's bad code and then there's evil code, and the difference is pretty much whether or not the code wears a stylish cape and has a secret lair.

I think I've mentioned this before (I used it on Ward's Wiki as the basis of the Evil Code entry), but it was a bit different from the cases above: the original was bad, but was the sort of thing the original coder did all the time, so instead of just fixing it, this person (Chalain) made it worse, in a way meant to get the original coder's attention and ire while pointing out how stupid the original was:

A rough equivalent of the original:

// also note that this is in C++, so the
    // typedef wasn't actually necessary 
    typedef enum { FOO_NONE, FOO_A, FOO_B } FOO;
    typedef enum { BAR_NONE, BAR_A, BAR_B } BAR;
    typedef enum { BAZ_NONE, BAZ_A, BAZ_B } BAZ;
    typedef enum { QAZ_NONE, QAZ_A, QAZ_B } QAZ;
    typedef enum { QUX_NONE, QUX_A, QUX_B } QUX;

//  later ...

FOO foo; BAR bar; BAZ baz; QAZ qaz; QUX qux;

foo = bar = baz = qaz = qux = 0; 

Chalain's initial pissed-off refactoring of that last line:

foo = (FOO)bar = (BAR)baz = (BAZ)qaz = (QAZ)qux = QUX_NONE;

Later, on the recommendation of of another programmer who was in on the joke, he refined this to the even more appalling:

foo=static_cast<FOO>(bar=static_cast<BAR>(baz=static_cast<BAZ>(qaz=static_cast<QAZ>(qux=QUX_NONE))));

In explanation of this, Chalain wrote:

This code serves a purpose: I want it to annoy the maintenance programmer that comes behind me. There's a very good chance that said programmer will be the original author, and this code will spark an argument in the break room... which is exactly what I want. If this code made you wince and say, "Ewww, that's UGLY"... then it served it's purpose. Both the original code and the new code are ugly. My code is just more honest/explicit about it.

EDIT: Added link to the original thread

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

I love how this application complains that Quicktime isn't installed.

That must be a really old app. Even Apple says you should uninstall Quicktime (security shit).

Remind me to get a screenshot, or link to the site (it expects a screen width of 1000 or so IIRC )

Self-reminded.

0_1472776575591_upload-446dc36e-61c3-4cc1-83dd-de19d4f88ae4

0_1472776682522_upload-f1954175-2e2b-4b1d-a685-d60c42f7246d

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Vault_Dweller said in WTF Bites:

@Maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

soap scum

@vote for soap

I'm sorry @Vault_Dweller, your princess is in another castle.

@soap is not in this game.

• I am working with a file format containing dump of some data or other. There are different versions of it for different versions/variants/types of the source of that data. Ok, features get added, so the file format needs to get new sections and stuff. But in general it is still pretty similar—it is always a container for collection of some binary blobs.

In the current version, I should support two versions of the format. In those two versions, I found:

• Three ways to store numbers: as little-endian binary, big-endian binary or strings of decimal ascii digits.
    • Three ways to store dates: as YYYYMMDDhhmmss ascii string of digits, as Julian day and number of seconds and as number of seconds since some epoch.

As can be inferred from the above, it is not consistent even within one version of the format (it is not consistent in either version, actually).

• Ah, fuck fortran sooooo much. Consider the following two functionsproceduressubroutines:

subroutine a( flag )
        logical :: flag
        integer :: var = 12345

if( flag ) var = 56789
    end subroutine
    subroutine b( flag )
        logical :: flag
        integer :: var

var = 12345
        if( flag ) var = 56789
    end subroutine

So, quickly tell me, are these equivalent? Would you expect them to? I sure did. But, alas, no. If you initialize a variable when you declare it, it will automatically apply the "save" attribute (i.e., make it static in C-speak, as if it were declared integer, save :: var).

So, if you ever do call a( .true. ), var will always thereafter be equal to 56789. Principle of least surprise? Nah, fuck it.

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

as Julian day and number of seconds

:wtf: Are you sure that's not a fractional day? (Fractional days are weird too, but that's at least cromulent with how Julian day numbers are actually used.)

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

Are you sure that's not a fractional day?

Yep. Absosmurfly sure. It is Julian day and number of seconds since the preceding UTC midnight (since Julian days start at UTC noon).

It is also stored as two separate integers, not as a floating point number (the format, fortunately, does not have any floating point numbers in it).

@Bulb OK. And please shoot the creators of that mess on our behalf. It's for your own good. :)

• @dkf Also, for decoding, I did the obvious way of subtracting the JD of 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z, multiplying by number of days per second and adding the seconds.

But the encoding (which was already written) first converts the Unix time to split time and then uses the formula (insane floating point calculation) taken from WikiPedia. Including handling switch-over from Julian calendar, which is totally absurd, since the file may never contain timestamp from before the first version of the product was published.