WTF Bites

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

Well, start is a shell builtin and not a normal executable so there's actually some precedent for its weirdness

Only in the Microsoft land. Unix shells apply quotes consistently.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

Unix shells apply quotes consistently.

Unix shells are pretty weird in places with their builtins too, but you wouldn't normally use them like that. There tends to not be interactions between different types of argument, except for people who create files called -rf

• kills Dumbledore

VB and its attempts to carry on working even when you've written something that should really be a compiler error.

Also, the people who I inherited this application off, who didn't care about warnings so the message I did get was buried in hundreds of others.

• area_can

@Zecc yeah I've been aware of it on 7 every since I swapped caps lock and backspace on my keyboard, but it really seems like an oversight.

ESPECIALLY SINCE CTRL+←/→ WORKS JUST FINE WHEN RENAMING FILES

• kills Dumbledore

@bb36e you get the same shit in TFS in VS2010.

• area_can

Ctrl+shift+s doesn't do anything in paint in Windows 10. I could have sworn it did in previous versions.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@bb36e said in WTF Bites:

Ctrl+shift+s doesn't do anything in paint in Windows 10. I could have sworn it did in previous versions.

What were you expecting?

• area_can

@bb36e said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra

1_1472264663985_saveas1.png 0_1472264663984_saveas2.png

Yeah, that doesn't even work in Notepad.. Or Wordpad. Or Word.

Granted, that's what I would want to happen, but... there doesn't seem to be much precedent for it in built-in apps.

• area_can

@Tsaukpaetra yeah :/ I guess that makes it a blakeybug

• @bb36e said in WTF Bites:

blakeybug

To the nodebbæpedia!

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

:wtf:

I've been pwned in a breach from some shitty phpbb server! Whatever, time to change my throwaway password. Wait... my password's not in my password manager? How old was this account? Whatever. Forgot password, enter my email. Click the link to reset my password in my email.

"Thanks! Your new password has been emailed to you."

....what?

I mean.... what?

Sure enough, they email me a password in plaintext. Well now I know what happened to the last throwaway password anyway...

@Sumireko lolwut?

I switched back to bar soap because my skin hates the sulfates in a lot of liquid soap. I bet you more and more people will do the same in the coming years; I was only using body wash because it was popular when I was growing up so that became the new normal for me.

• @Yamikuronue said in WTF Bites:

@Sumireko lolwut?

I switched back to bar soap because my skin hates the sulfates in a lot of liquid soap. I bet you more and more people will do the same in the coming years; I was only using body wash because it was popular when I was growing up so that became the new normal for me.
    How do the sulfates affect your skin?

I can't use bar soap on my face. It would dry it out.

The only bar soap I can use for reasons that are probably TMI is Dove.

I have been using castile soap and was trying some washes for dry, itchy skin (Aveeno, Eucerin, etc).

@Karla That's fair; on my face, I use a facial cleanser, which happens to be liquid. Apparently (and I'm no expert here) stuff that's gentle enough for the rest of the body is too harsh for the face, including both lotions and soaps.

• @Yamikuronue said in WTF Bites:

@Karla That's fair; on my face, I use a facial cleanser, which happens to be liquid. Apparently (and I'm no expert here) stuff that's gentle enough for the rest of the body is too harsh for the face, including both lotions and soaps.

Yeah, I would never use regular lotion on my face.

My cheeks flush very easily (too hot, too cold, exercise, washing them, etc). When I was younger when acne was a problem I couldn't put anything but the weakest kind on my cheeks.

• I guess nobody at Microsoft ever tested the Windows 10 clock on a network without Internet access. 6 Windows 10 workstations, 6 completely different times, and 6 completely different dates. None of them are syncing from the domain server! Better yet, the Date/Time settings window is actually disabled so you can't correct it manually. The workstations can't connect to any shares on the domain server when the time is incorrect, so it's an actual problem and not just a nuisance.

We eventually got it working but it required some black-magic batch scripts.

@Yamikuronue said in WTF Bites:

:wtf:

I've been pwned in a breach from some shitty phpbb server! Whatever, time to change my throwaway password. Wait... my password's not in my password manager? How old was this account? Whatever. Forgot password, enter my email. Click the link to reset my password in my email.

"Thanks! Your new password has been emailed to you."

....what?

I mean.... what?

Sure enough, they email me a password in plaintext. Well now I know what happened to the last throwaway password anyway...

That's ok. Google Apps let's you send user passwords to arbitrary email addresses still.

• @Tsaukpaetra Yes, let's.

@tufty said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra Yes, let's.

:facepalm: My language is slowly corrupting its'elf./// ⭕

@tufty said in WTF Bites:

Obviously the guy's name is "Sign"... ;)

• @Tsaukpaetra And his sleeping partner is Mr Lettering, I assume.

• ♿ (Parody)

Capitol One just sent my wife a new debit / ATM card. But somehow they did not print her name or the card number or the expiration date on it. Haven't bothered to peel it off the letter to see if they printed the security code on the back.

• @boomzilla it's like a blank check!

• I needed Windows 7 for some driver testing so I installed it on my secondary workstation. I tried to install Visual Studio 2015, but it said "No, we can't install without having Internet Explorer 10 installed first. Click here to download it." So I followed the link and got sent to a Microsoft website with no IE10 download, but it did have an IE11 download because "If you're running Windows 7, the latest version of InternetExplorer [sic] that you can install is Internet Explorer 11." So I clicked the download button and tried to install IE11, and got a big "Operating System is not supported" error dialog.

Thanks, Microsoft. EIE11_EN-US_WOL_WIN7.EXE does NOT work on Win7.

• @Sumireko said in WTF Bites:

CBSNews said:

[…] it was published before the spread of newer pathogens like antibiotic-resistant MRSA emerged, which raises the stakes for having clean hands.

Actually, MRSA raise stakes for not having (too) clean hands, at least when you are healthy. Because while MRSA is (more) resistant to methicillin, but it is no more resistant to being marked by immunoglobulins and phagocytosed by granulocytes or dissolved by direct application of hydrogen peroxide from T-lymphocytes. Therefore the best defence is having your immune system up to speed and alert. Which is best achieved by not overdoing the hygiene.

Hospitals are something else. Patients in hospitals are weakened and need as sterile environment as possible. But not healthy people. Those only need to suppress the worst dung and fresh water and regular soap are about right for that.

On the hand, some health authorities are now recommending a switch to liquid soap, with Minnesota’s Department of Health​ noting that germs can grow on bar soap and spread infections.

Such authorities should probably stop being authorities and should be instead arrested for spreading false alarm. There is plenty of sound evidence by now that people who clean more are more often ill and have higher incidence of allergies.

Such news also contribute to spread of compulsive cleaning. And while it's not completely new kind of compulsive-obsessive disorder (I suppose most of you did see The Aviator), it is clearly supported by that kind of news (and advertisements; probably even more so) and causing disease should almost certainly qualify as felony under some paragraph.

• @Bulb said in WTF Bites:

Therefore the best defence is having your immune system up to speed and alert. Which is best achieved by not overdoing the hygiene.

Even though my 3 yo is the first child I gave birth to, she is my 5th child. I think we sterilized bottles for a month. Pre-washed her clothes for 3 months.

She drops the binky, we spit clean it, she eats off the floor in our house (as have I), dog kisses in the mouth**.

I won't buy antibacterial soaps. I hate the smell of purell and will only use the stuff in porta-potties.

**dog saliva ok...cat saliva not so much

Hospitals are something else. Patients in hospitals are weakened and need as sterile environment as possible.

Plus hospitals are full of sick people!

Such authorities should probably stop being authorities and should be instead arrested for spreading false alarm.

Isn't that all of government? It's for the children!!!!!

Don't let your kids be unsupervised for even a few seconds until they are 25 or you risk having CPS called on you and even having your kid taken away.

• @Karla said in WTF Bites:

Even though my 3 yo is the first child I gave birth to

You gave birth to a 3-year-old? :doing_it_wrong:

• @mott555 said in WTF Bites:

@Karla said in WTF Bites:

Even though my 3 yo is the first child I gave birth to

You gave birth to a 3-year-old? :doing_it_wrong:

😆

I will rephrase:

The baby I had 3 years ago is the first one I gave birth to...

• @Karla said in WTF Bites:

dog saliva ok...cat saliva not so much

I don't even think that. Cat saliva is more likely to cause allergic reaction, but I believe pathogen-wise it contains more anti-bacterial compounds. And the best way to avoid having allergy is to have the alergen regularly present in your environment. Plus dogs are often interested in dirty stuff, cats are not.

Don't let your kids be unsupervised for even a few seconds until they are 25 or you risk having CPS called on you and even having your kid taken away.

QFT. It's getting seriously out of hands.

And the psychologists are even regularly heard saying it's wrong and how the kids need to get some independence. But the law-makers don't seem to take them seriously.

• @Karla This is definitely anecdotal, but it seems the healthiest people I know were farm kids like me who'd come home at the end of the day covered in an amalgam of cow shit, hay dust, red diesel, and 2,4-D, while all the city kids with antibacterial hand soaps and furnace filters and city water are all now dying of a billion odd allergies.

I don't even think that. Cat saliva is more likely to cause allergic reaction, but I believe pathogen-wise it contains more anti-bacterial compounds. And the best way to avoid having allergy is to have the alergen regularly present in your environment. Plus dogs are often interested in dirty stuff, cats are not.

QFT. It's getting seriously out of hands.

And the psychologists are even regularly heard saying it's wrong and how the kids need to get some independence. But the law-makers don't seem to take them seriously.

Yeah, I am literally more afraid of someone calling CPS than some stranger doing something bad to my daughter. **

**Add to the the VAST majority of all kinds of abuse is committed by someone the child knows and the VAST majority of child abductions are parental because of custody disputes.

• @mott555 You might only have anecdotal evidence, but there are proper studies leading to the same or similar conclusions.

I don't even think that. Cat saliva is more likely to cause allergic reaction, but I believe pathogen-wise it contains more anti-bacterial compounds.

I missed this part previously.

A bite from a cat (and my own cat) required me to have emergency surgery (my first ever), my first stitches, and IV antibiotics for 5 days and then 10 days of oral antibiotics.

I am acutely aware of the bacteria in cat saliva. Triage nurse said the only bite worse than a cat is a human**.

I'm assuming she was referring to living creatures that might be in your house since I can totally think of some animals that have worse bites than humans.

FTR, I am mildly allergic to ball python saliva. When my snake bit me, I would get tiny itchy bumps.

@Sumireko LAWL CBS expects me to turn off my adblocker to view their autoplay video of the story. FOAD, Les Moonves!

body wash

It's also a lot more expensive than bar soap.

I can't use bar soap on my face. It would dry it out.

You tried glycerin-based stuff?

@mott555 said in WTF Bites:

the Date/Time settings window is actually disabled so you can't correct it manually.

That's been that way since at least XP! In 10, try right-clicking on the clock and choose "adjust date & time" and then toggle "set date & time automatically".

@mott555 said in WTF Bites:

So I followed the link and got sent to a Microsoft website with no IE10 download

That's because you're supposed to use Windows Update.

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

Such authorities should probably stop being authorities and should be instead arrested for spreading false alarm.

They should also be forced to watch the "I'm going commando, too" episode of Friends, so they could get Chandler's relevant line: "It's soap. It's self-cleaning."

• @FrostCat said in WTF Bites:

body wash

It's also a lot more expensive than bar soap.

...not really? Unless you really need the cashmere glow and bergamot notes...

I mostly buy liquid soap and shower gel because it's easier to apply, it doesn't leave so much soap scum everywhere, and in an emergency (eg. it's 11PM and I forgot to do the shopping) I can use it as a makeshift shampoo.

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that people move from the inferior alternative to the superior one.

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

the kids need to get some independence.

Did you see the picture I posted in the Gilled Horse Chew thread? Fricking tiny little kiddy treehouse and it's covered in nets to keep the precious snowflakes from falling a foot or so. Seriously, it had nets outside the handrails!

@Maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

not really

Maybe not where you are. I don't know--I don't buy the stuff myself, but I've read some articles that say the unit cost for bar soap is a lot lower.

makeshift shampoo.

You can do that with bar soap, too. Heck, you can use it for shaving.

@FrostCat @Maciejasjmj a quick google leads to this 3yo article:

First off, blah blah, for some reason liquid soap is worse for the environment, and also

During a recent price check at my local grocery store, I found that a typical 177-milliliter plastic (!!) bottle of liquid soap went for $2.69, while a 12-ounce three-bar pack of solid soap was $3.99. Those numbers translate into about 1.2 cents per gram of bar soap and 1.5 cents per gram of liquid soap. In other words, bar soap is the better bargain.

But it’s a lot worse than that because we use significantly more soap when it’s in liquid form as opposed to solid (see above). I estimate that washing up with bar soap will cost you 0.4 cents — less than half a penny — per wash while scrubbing with liquid soap will set you back 10 times as much or about 3.5 cents per wash.

The bottom line: not only is liquid soap a bad environmental bet, it’s a bad bet for your family budget.

But it’s a lot worse than that because we use significantly more soap when it’s in liquid form as opposed to solid (see above).

Huh, maybe? Though in my experience bar soap seems more wasteful, since a lot of it ends up as scum on the sink or the stand. Or maybe I'm just using it wrong, dunno.

scum on the sink

I think the idea is that you don't actually take much off the bar when you use it, because it foams up a lot. I mean, assuming you're not leaving it in a pool of water to dissolve.

Liquid soap seems to encourage you to use more than you need, too, like how ads for toothpaste show people using 4-5x what they actually need.

scum on the sink

I think the idea is that you don't actually take much off the bar when you use it, because it foams up a lot. I mean, assuming you're not leaving it in a pool of water to dissolve.

Liquid soap seems to encourage you to use more than you need, too, like how ads for toothpaste show people using 4-5x what they actually need.

Not necessarily. About a half-pump of liquid soap is usually plenty. I'm not sure how the use rate of soap from foaming pumps factors, but I suspect it lowers the amount needed by at least a little bit. Automatic soap dispensers always provide too much, though, even if they give just a tiny bit, because that tiny bit is not enough, but two squirts is too much. It's usually harder for me to get the right amount with a bar, though. Maybe it's just that I'm not as familiar with it, so I have difficulty judging how much it will spread.

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

Maybe it's just that I'm not as familiar with it, so I have difficulty judging how much it will spread.

I mean, a normal bar of soap will probably last a couple of months[1]. You don't need a lot.

[1] I guess? I don't think I've ever kept track.