WTF Bites

• @atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

@bulb But on Mint it Just Works™ without me needing to change the settings. Both battery and power cord is set to go into sleep mode when I close the lid, which is also what I want it to do when I'm not at my desk. However, in Mint, if it detects that I have an external monitor and keyboard connected it automagically assumes that I indeed want to work using the external monitor and keyboard when I close the lid and wont go into sleep mode, just switching the external monitor to be the primary.

Funny. I actually want my laptop to go to sleep always, regardless of presence of 2nd monitor.

• Java Dev

@jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

Not sure if it's drivers or power settings

No, it's clearly Windows. There's no other option

It's clearly something in Windows. If it is Windows or a 3rd party messing up I don't know and I am too tired from my cold to bother finding out atm. :P

• @atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

But on Mint it Just Works without me needing to change the settings.

Except some laptops cool through the keyboard, and will overheat if they're running with the lid closed. (I'm not sure what percentage.)

Microsoft chose the safe default here. Bitch and moan all you like.

• @rhywden said in WTF Bites:

That you only need to do once

Until the next update changes all the things.

• ♿ (Parody)

Got an email from a vendor with an ICS...hmm...doesn't seem to be opening correctly...let's take a look...

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
    X-LOTUS-CHARSET:UTF-8
    VERSION:2.0
    PRODID:-//Lotus Development Corporation//NONSGML Notes 9.0.1//EN_S
    METHOD:REQUEST
    BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
    TZID:Eastern Standard Time
    BEGIN:STANDARD
    DTSTART:19501105T020000
    TZOFFSETFROM:-0400
    TZOFFSETTO:-0500

Apparently I missed the meeting by over 67 years?

Well, I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that they're using Lotus Notes since the vendor is actually IBM.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

Except some laptops cool through the keyboard, and will overheat if they're running with the lid closed. (I'm not sure what percentage.)
    Microsoft chose the safe default here. Bitch and moan all you like.

That's the sort of thing that the BIOS/system drivers(/whatever they're called these days) should have information about.

• @dkf or the built-in temperature sensor.

• 0_1512682207953_003277b4-5433-497f-a694-ec8b93026aa6-image.png

The CEO's right hand woman went into a complete freakout mode over a "broken" copyright notice - 10PM email to all team leads, with my Boss and CEO in CC, top priority, fix needed first thing in the morning, etc.

And how is it "broken"?

When you hover over the popover link with copyright notice, her Edge browser shows the url in the bottom left corner.

She now wants us to get rid of it.

• @sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

@pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

I can't even fucking reproduce this. It just happens when I'm not paying attention. Fuck you, Hangouts.

I've got an even better one. A couple of times, I've had the cursor show up and get stuck. Never been able to reproduce it, and it's hard to even figure out which process owns it (Explorer, I think) so that I could kill it and get rid of the extra floating cursor.

Another one! And I still haven't a clue what owned this one either!

0_1512621285809_4959abfd-a1bc-415a-9e46-9fa940642bce-image.png

Whatever you have, it must be contagious. Now it's happened to me.

0_1512682497538_9145fe04-3274-4eeb-ba9c-9cdf625627e2-image.png

• @anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

@sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

I can't even fucking reproduce this. It just happens when I'm not paying attention. Fuck you, Hangouts.

I've got an even better one. A couple of times, I've had the cursor show up and get stuck. Never been able to reproduce it, and it's hard to even figure out which process owns it (Explorer, I think) so that I could kill it and get rid of the extra floating cursor.

Another one! And I still haven't a clue what owned this one either!

0_1512621285809_4959abfd-a1bc-415a-9e46-9fa940642bce-image.png

Whatever you have, it must be contagious. Now it's happened to me.

0_1512682497538_9145fe04-3274-4eeb-ba9c-9cdf625627e2-image.png

Hmm... so it's a 'MozillaWindowClass', eh...

0_1512682834633_vlcsnap-2017-12-07-15h39m35s683.png

edit: yeah, it disappeared when I closed Firefox.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@cartman82 said in WTF Bites:

0_1512682207953_003277b4-5433-497f-a694-ec8b93026aa6-image.png

The CEO's right hand woman went into a complete freakout mode over a "broken" copyright notice - 10PM email to all team leads, with my Boss and CEO in CC, top priority, fix needed first thing in the morning, etc.

And how is it "broken"?

When you hover over the popover link with copyright notice, her Edge browser shows the url in the bottom left corner.

Alcoholism is an awful thing.

• @cartman82 said in WTF Bites:

Isn't that an option in Edge?
    Solution: Sneak into her office and change the option. Fixed.

• Fix problems that occur overnight by remoting into my work machine: fine.
    Admin-controlled overnight updates with forced reboots: annoying, but understandable.
    SOE has BitLocker enabled for security reasons: reasonable.
    Combination of the above: bad.
    Likelihood of changing any of the above behaviours: negligible.

@scarlet_manuka said in WTF Bites:

Fix problems that occur overnight by remoting into my work machine: fine.
    Admin-controlled overnight updates with forced reboots: annoying, but understandable.

In theory bitlocker could be configured to automatically unlock in the presence of the proper domain stuffs, but that would require work.

• @tsaukpaetra Interesting, but after having a look at the article I think I can safely fold that into the "Likelihood of changing any of the above behaviours: negligible" part.

• Considered Harmful

Found this.

// Only a single match or no matches
            if (matches.size() < 2) {
                return matches;
            }

return matches;

A far cry from normal fare for this website, but both the project and this file are in extremely active development, this hasn't been fixed in months, and I've only found one other WTF in the project ever.

• Java Dev

A problem with open source OS is that the translations can be lacking and you get random snippets of text in english when the translation is missing. Good thing that doesn't happen in a proprietary OS!

0_1512721981034_start-recent.PNG

(Recent would be translated as "Senaste" or "Senast använda".)

@atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

A problem with open source OS is that the translations can be lacking and you get random snippets of text in english when the translation is missing. Good thing that doesn't happen in a proprietary OS!

0_1512721981034_start-recent.PNG

(Recent would be translated as "Senaste" or "Senast använda".)

It's actually pulling the Recent text from cdn, but something went wrong with dns and it microaggressed your language from a poisoned GeoIP and so that's what happened.

• @scarlet_manuka said in WTF Bites:

Yup. But my BitLocker is controlled via USB key. Solution - leave USB inserted. What!!! The machine is locked!

• Grade A Premium Asshole

I have some administrative work to do today at a client location. Cleaning up some address spaces. Over the years devices have been added where there was space, DHCP pool expanded in to unused space, and things have become messy. So I worked out a plan a while back, expanding the addressable space, moving all the IP cameras to a contiguous block, printers to their own, giving DHCP its own contiguous address space. Sorting out a lot of issues that have cropped up as the network has grown organically over 10 years and exacerbated by the proliferation of personal devices on work networks. (seriously, each new employee added chews up 3-5 IP addresses. Laptop, phone, tablet, watch, etc. This shit is getting insane.)

I notice that this client also has a laptop they have requested to be upgraded to SSD. I have time and that is mostly downtime while it clones so I pull that ticket.

So I set up in an office that we are going to outfit next week. I stretch power cords out and get everything hooked up(including one to the power supply for my older model USB-SATA bridge).
    There is nothing in here but 3 desks and one chair. I get the disk started cloning and go about my business. Moving devices around in the address space, updating printer shares, changing addresses in the security camera software, changing the DHCP pool, etc. All boring and tedious. Two hours later I am almost done and the disk is nearly finished cloning. Less than 2 minutes remaining.

Then in walks one of the admin people:

👩 "Pardon me, I just need to grab something out of this desk over here."

...and she proceeds to accidentally kick the power cords because she is not watching what she is doing and unplugs the USB-SATA bridge.

Two fucking hours of work gone in an instant. poof

Clone restarted from scratch and I ordered one of these:

Which I should have done years ago.

• @polygeekery said in WTF Bites:

Two fucking hours of work gone in an instant. poof

Don't you bill them by the hour ? 🤑

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@timebandit Well, yeah, but we also try to not bilk them anymore than necessary. That's why stuff like SSD upgrades gets combined with other onsite visits. I don't want to bill them for someone staring at a progress bar for 2+ hours.

• :belt_onion:

@polygeekery said in WTF Bites:

I stretch power cords out

As soon as I saw this I knew where it was going to go, unfortunately. :P

• ♿ (Parody)

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

@scarlet_manuka said in WTF Bites:

Yup. But my BitLocker is controlled via USB key. Solution - leave USB inserted. What!!! The machine is locked!

I actually keep my machine at home and only use a VPN to do anything. Nevertheless, my solution is to fix it tomorrow.

• Caption in Skype for Business:

To add contacts, drag from another group

Liar. Drag&drop is not enabled for contacts.

• @polygeekery I bought this other one for the office. You can do 2.5 inch drives without the power adapter, but it includes the external power for 3.5 inch drives.

• Considered Harmful

Backstory: So the Minecraft client-side modding community is structured almost entirely around a third-party library called Forge. It doesn't transform the bytecode at runtime, but it provides an API to do so. Classes which use this API are called core mods. Most mods don't need to do this because the Forge and Minecraft APIs are more than enough for their purposes, but some do, for various reasons.
    Many core mods are written using the Mixin library. This basically injects the code of 'mixin' classes into the existing classes, and can be used to add new functionality, inject callbacks, implement new interfaces, etc. Other core mods do not use that library for whatever reason; perhaps they haven't heard of it, perhaps they need to take a more programmatic approach to their transformation, etc. So they very carefully use the ASM library to specifically add individual bytecodes. If done properly, this doesn't interfere with other mods doing the same thing, or with Mixin.
    And still others don't care. They blindly write ASM with a fuck-the-consequences mindset. These people have been steadily pissing the Forge team off, because a few of them make extremely popular mods which regrettably explode upon contact with certain other mods, and everyone clamors for the Forge team or the other mods' owners to make them compatible, since the popular mod owners have an @end‍ian approach to things.
    A couple of hours ago, one of the lead Forge devs opened a new public repository for the 'solution'.

In case you're too lazy to click links, we're literally now going to have to be writing the ASM loading code in JavaScript. Bloating already obscene startup times. Requiring that anyone who already knew Java to such a deep level as to be able to write performant and safe ASM now also need to learn JavaScript so they can utilize it. With a new NashornScriptEngineFactory per mod (remember I mentioned startup bloat). I don't know whether they'll remove the bit that makes mixins possible, but they might.
    This is an official test file of this new solution.
    Shoot me.

Shoot me.

0_1512805774782_44bbd3fe-e08b-41d9-bb62-7152c0a1b852-image.png

• :belt_onion:

@dreikin said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc only mentioned which side of the screen a window is on, not which direction the text is going.

It matters though. If text is going left-to-right, then the left side of the screen comes "before" and the right side comes "after". If text is going right to left, it's the reverse.

It's like you've never read any comics translated from a right-to-left language or something.

I think you're missing some context.

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

but original on the right and mod on the left lets the work being done be in the side of the screen/window we're used to looking at while coding

Did you just assume my window layout? 🔥 🚌

I.e, @Zecc is saying don't assume their coding window is full screen or on the left half of the screen.

Either way, the code is going to be on the left side if it's coded in a LTR script. Unless your code looks like this...

0_1511131118300_32271656-80bc-43c8-9ef7-50289ce03f89-image.png

...or this...

0_1511130971822_bc02674a-200a-43d7-87d6-ffd7ee5045cf-image.png

If your code looks vaguely like one of @blubar's Dwarf Fortress maps...... you've done something wrong

@Zecc only mentioned which side of the screen a window is on, not which direction the text is going.

It matters though. If text is going left-to-right, then the left side of the screen comes "before" and the right side comes "after". If text is going right to left, it's the reverse.

It's like you've never read any comics translated from a right-to-left language or something.

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

but original on the right and mod on the left lets the work being done be in the side of the screen/window we're used to looking at while coding

I.e, @Zecc is saying don't assume their coding window is full screen or on the left half of the screen.

Either way, the code is going to be on the left side if it's coded in a LTR script. Unless your code looks like this...

...or this...

If your code looks vaguely like one of @blubar's Dwarf Fortress maps...... you've done something wrong

Looks more like one of these:

0_1512843753969_15159159681982660608_2015-12-11_00002.png

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

...or this...

Most likely, you've opened the minified version of the code by mistake.

• @pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

So they very carefully use the ASM library to specifically add individual bytecodes.

Seriously?

• @ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

@sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

...or this...

Looks more like one of these:

0_1512843753969_15159159681982660608_2015-12-11_00002.png

Here's a newer one from 0.44.02, which I took in a PRINT_MODE:TEXT session over SSH:

0_1512845675083_Screenshot 2017-12-09 at 12.53.46.png

When Dwarf Fortress is more readable than your code, you have a problem.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

When Dwarf Fortress is more readable than your code, you have a problem Perl.

FTFY

• My WTF of the day: So, when you buy BluRays over here some of them come with a "Activate your movie on UltraViolet" code so you can supposedly access them on a multitude of devices.

Got myself the Season 1 of Westworld which had one such a code. Went to the site referenced on the leaflet, entered the code and it appeared in my collection. Today I wanted to try that out without using the BluRay so I opened the site in my browser, clicked on "Play" for the first episode...

"Flash not found." - okay, so maybe it's someone trying a fallback because they're using something Edge doesn't do? Open the site in Chrome: "Flash not found."

Great. I shoot off an email to their support, basically asking: "Say, guys, do you have any plans migrating off Flash, considering that it's EOL'ed? I also don't want to enable Flash as it won't get any more security updates". Included a bit more detail which should have made sure that anyone with half a braincell understood that it's about streaming with a modern browser.

First email: "Let's make sure that Flash works!"
    My reply: "Could you forward the ticket to someone who understands the question? Or who has at least read it?"
    Second email: "We need some more info - what movie are you trying to watch?"

:headdesk:

• Banned

@rhywden customer service phone line is like StackOverflow - if your question doesn't fit "it no work, how to work" template, you'll never get any useful answer.

• @gąska said in WTF Bites:

@rhywden customer service phone line is like StackOverflow - if your question doesn't fit "it no work, how to work" template, you'll never get any useful answer.

That's what I liked about one of my jobs as a 1st level supporter for a cable company: We were definitely allowed to go off-script when it turned out that the case in front of us didn't fit the expected mold.
    Some of my colleagues even got dinged if they didn't recognize that the script they were using was not applicable to the situation at hand.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

... + ButtonArray.Num() % ButtonArray.Num()

0_1512027918157_85abb02c-0821-445e-a204-d71660778de9-image.png

Yeah, I realized I needed some parentheses there when it always skipped two buttons.

That shouldn't be the cause, unless ButtonArray.Num() is likely to give different results each time. n % n == 0.

Also, you could write it simpler, and...

Oh hell. Assuming SelectedIndex is automatically updated by SelectButton, that you need to reselect the original button if it's the only one selectable, and that the original button is both selectable and won't change selectability during the loop, then:

int LastSelectedIndex = SelectedIndex;
    int RotateDirection = Direction == EDirection::Left ? -1 : 1;

int newSelectedIndex = SelectedIndex;
    do {
    	newSelectedIndex = (newSelectedIndex + RotateDirection + ButtonArray.Num()) % ButtonArray.Num();
    } while (!SelectButton(newSelectedIndex));

If the original selection isn't guaranteed to be selectable (i.e., it's possible for no option to be selectable), then:

int LastSelectedIndex = SelectedIndex;
    int RotateDirection = Direction == EDirection::Left ? -1 : 1;

int newSelectedIndex = SelectedIndex;
    do {
    	newSelectedIndex = (newSelectedIndex + RotateDirection + ButtonArray.Num()) % ButtonArray.Num();
    } while (!SelectButton(newSelectedIndex) && (newSelectedIndex != LastSelectedIndex));

Edit: Fixed for C# modulus being stupid.

• Considered Harmful

@blakeyrat Yes. Hence the creation of the Mixin library.

@pleegwat said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

Yes

Quite apart from that, it keeps the pattern clear. You can substitute in your extra-long identifiers if you like and break up in more lines.

The main pitfall in this piece is in the descending case, where (prev-i)%n will NOT do what you want.

Eh? Should be...wait...let me test first...

> Console.WriteLine((-1) % 9);

:wtf: Who made that shitty decision?

• Banned

@dreikin negative numbers and modulo never works well. No matter what semantics you invent, it's always going to be confusing in some cases - you have to choose whether (a/b)*b + a%b = a or 0 <= a%b < b.

• @blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

Liar. Drag&drop is not enabled for contacts.

Drag and drop for contacts is great in traditional skype for windows.

None of the other clients seem to have it though, including the new electron based one. I am afraidvthis feature is on its way out.

• Considered Harmful

@cartman82 There's an Electron Skype?

@gąska said in WTF Bites:

@dreikin negative numbers and modulo never works well. No matter what semantics you invent, it's always going to be confusing in some cases - you have to choose whether a/b + a%b = a or 0 <= a%b < b.

I choose the latter based on two principles:

• The only non-controversial definition of modulus has its domain being the unsigned integers, thus its range [0, n], and
    • The idea of modulus being cyclical, therefore going in the negative direction should wrap around the other side.

So I maintain it should be (-1) % 9 == 8), and anything else should be special exceptions or :doing_it_wrong: .

• @pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

@cartman82 There's an Electron Skype?

I am talking about the new thing on linux. Whatever they are doing, I can tell they are wrapping some kind of a browser.

I haven't looked into the details of whether they are using electron or one of the others, though.

• Banned

@dreikin I, on the other hand, pretend that modulo division doesn't work on negative numbers at all. Kinda like when doing C++, I pretend postincrementation doesn't exist and assignment returns void. Doing otherwise is bound to confuse someone eventually, which leads to bugs.

I blame Chrome. It's rather easy to do this when using the touch screen for me.

Then again, my laptop is special that way I think.

Mine does the same thing.

• @gąska said in WTF Bites:

you have to choose whether (a/b)*b + a%b = a or 0 <= a%b < b

You can actually reconcile those quite easily by simply defining integer division as ⌊a/b⌋.

Then, to borrow the -1%9 example,

-1%9 = 8, so 0 <= -1%9 < 9
    -1/9 = -1, so (-1/9)*9 + -1%9 = -1

• @dreikin said in WTF Bites:

@gąska said in WTF Bites:

@dreikin negative numbers and modulo never works well. No matter what semantics you invent, it's always going to be confusing in some cases - you have to choose whether a/b + a%b = a or 0 <= a%b < b.

I choose the latter based on two principles:

• The only non-controversial definition of modulus has its domain being the unsigned integers, thus its range [0, n], and
    • The idea of modulus being cyclical, therefore going in the negative direction should wrap around the other side.

So I maintain it should be (-1) % 9 == 8), and anything else should be special exceptions or :doing_it_wrong: .

The % operator in most languages is not modulo - it is remainder.

REMAINDER(-1, 9) is -1.

Oh hell.

Will consider. Setting reminder to visit this post on Monday.