WTF Bites

• @dreikin said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc only mentioned which side of the screen a window is on, not which direction the text is going.

It matters though. If text is going left-to-right, then the left side of the screen comes "before" and the right side comes "after". If text is going right to left, it's the reverse.

It's like you've never read any comics translated from a right-to-left language or something.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

@dreikin said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc only mentioned which side of the screen a window is on, not which direction the text is going.

It matters though. If text is going left-to-right, then the left side of the screen comes "before" and the right side comes "after". If text is going right to left, it's the reverse.

It's like you've never read any comics translated from a right-to-left language or something.

I think you're missing some context.

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

but original on the right and mod on the left lets the work being done be in the side of the screen/window we're used to looking at while coding

Did you just assume my window layout? 🔥 🚌

I.e, @Zecc is saying don't assume their coding window is full screen or on the left half of the screen.

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

but original on the right and mod on the left lets the work being done be in the side of the screen/window we're used to looking at while coding

I.e, @Zecc is saying don't assume their coding window is full screen or on the left half of the screen.

Either way, the code is going to be on the left side if it's coded in a LTR script. Unless your code looks like this...

0_1511131118300_32271656-80bc-43c8-9ef7-50289ce03f89-image.png

...or this...

0_1511130971822_bc02674a-200a-43d7-87d6-ffd7ee5045cf-image.png

• area_can

0_1511133544271_9122fb27-3190-4655-a5e3-229e5761d805-image.png

• @bb36e said in WTF Bites:

Edit edit: Or maybe spiral or winding back-and-forth or some other variant?

you are neglecting the Z axis

I could argue that that's covered under:

or some other variant

• :belt_onion:

@bb36e said in WTF Bites:

0_1511133544271_9122fb27-3190-4655-a5e3-229e5761d805-image.png

Who doesn't want 32gb of read-only memory?

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Curious, what style of layout is it called when making a spiral (or reverse spiral)?

I don't know the answer but you reminded me of the Artemis Fowl series, where the ancient Fairy language was written in a spiral and the modern language wasn't because they all agreed spirals were annoying to read.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

they all agreed spirals were annoying to read.

Oh yeah, it's frickin terrible! Especially if you use variants that CRC back.

But that Boustrophedon (with the reversed symbols) is just asinine. Wouldn't consider it unless for some reason you're etching in glass meant to be handled, maybe, but even then your eyes would scan back and forth anyways, so there would be no benefit gain, so.... Gah!
    You would think someone would have explained the reasoning, but it's probably in the same format so....

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

But that Boustrophedon (with the reversed symbols) is just asinine.

Blame the ancient Greeks. You'll notice nobody sane has used it for thousands of years…

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

Either way, the code is going to be on the left side if it's coded in a LTR script. Unless your code looks like this...

0_1511131118300_32271656-80bc-43c8-9ef7-50289ce03f89-image.png

...or this...

0_1511130971822_bc02674a-200a-43d7-87d6-ffd7ee5045cf-image.png

Left side of the window, yes (ignoring many variants of pedantry that could make that fail), but not necessarily the screen. A person might only use half the screen (say, the right half) for the code, but the whole screen to look at diffs. So the "original" side of the diff might not be on the same side of the screen as the code window is.

0_1511141543915_ccc4d7d5-fef2-46dc-8be5-6f83465423ae-image.png

Two :wtf:s, really, but I'm sure you can spot the bite-sized one.

I only see one. $10.99 $10.99.

I only see one. $10.99 $10.99.

"Price set by seller" means that Penguin Group USA (in this case) has told Amazon they can't sell for any less than that. It's basically Amazon letting you know the publisher has legally set out to fuck you over even harder than usual, often by making the digital (i.e., no on-going material production costs) price the same as or even higher than the physical edition price.

• @dreikin is that not the case with all items listed on Amazon by third-party sellers? And the fact that publishers are money-grubbing whores isn't really a :wtf:; that's basically just business as usual.

@dreikin is that not the case with all items listed on Amazon by third-party sellers? And the fact that publishers are money-grubbing whores isn't really a :wtf:; that's basically just business as usual.

It's not a third party seller. Amazon is selling it, but their contract with the publisher that allows them to sell the ebook requires them to sell at a particular price set by the publisher. I.e., Amazon is the seller, but they don't get to select their own margin.

• @dreikin I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The "sold by" and the "seller" are the same third-party-entity-who-set-the-price-and-isn't-Amazon.

@dreikin I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The "sold by" and the "seller" are the same third-party-entity-who-set-the-price-and-isn't-Amazon.

Not really; the wording is misleading in that sense. After some collusion with Apple (which they got rightfully sued over and then did the minimal amount of change needed to make it look like they're not colluding anymore), the major publishers pushed an "Agency Model" contract for selling their ebooks, where Amazon doesn't get to buy at one price and sell at another, but has to sell them at the publisher-set price (or not at all).

It's an anti-competitive business practice designed to screw buyers and push the sale of print editions at the expense of digital buyers.

Amazon's putting "price set by seller" and "Sold by: {publisher}" to distance themselves so people complain at the publisher for this fuckery, instead of at them.

@dreikin I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The "sold by" and the "seller" are the same third-party-entity-who-set-the-price-and-isn't-Amazon.

Not really; the wording is misleading in that sense. After some collusion with Apple (which they got rightfully sued over and then did the minimal amount of change needed to make it look like they're not colluding anymore), the major publishers pushed an "Agency Model" contract for selling their ebooks, where Amazon doesn't get to buy at one price and sell at another, but has to sell them at the publisher-set price (or not at all).

It's an anti-competitive business practice designed to screw buyers and push the sale of print editions at the expense of digital buyers.

Amazon's putting "price set by seller" and "Sold by: {publisher}" to distance themselves so people complain at the publisher for this fuckery, instead of at them.

Actually, this might be something new. The one I'm thinking of used to say "Price set by publisher", but I can't find any books that say that anymore. I wonder if they gave up and really did go to a publisher-sells-directly model, or if it's just a cosmetic change for the reason I mentioned above.

• 🚽 Regular

Do you code in a LtR or RtL language?

Yes.

I was just trolling, but in retrospect it's not unusual for me to have an unmaximized window close to the middle of the screen while I preview something on a maximized window below. It happens.

Might as well add: I prefer the original on the left side, yes. I don't think I've ever seen a diff with the original on the right side, come to think of it, but I think I'd adapt pretty quickly in any case and not make a big deal of it.

• (Web-) Outlook apparently considers XML files to be really dangerous ... but only to itself. I had some preliminary results I needed to send a colleague off-site. This is a single XML file, so an email attachment should be just fine, right?

Anyway, sent the email. My colleague received it just fine. Later, we were later discussing the results, so I wanted to double check which version I sent him. I go to sent mail ... and:

0_1511189714752_dangerxml0.png

Hmm. A warning sign? I guess that's appropriate for XML?

0_1511189934605_dangerxml1.png

Uh. It's like (really bad) XML? How exactly is that supposed to be dangerous? Besides, I sent the fricking file. In the web interface, there also is no option to download it or anything that I could find. :wtf: (But you can forward it to e.g. Gmail and look at it here, no problems.)

• @cvi The 'x' stands for eXecutable, don't cha know...

• ♿ (Parody)

Original on the left and mod on the right follows the idea of timelines (and most languages) flowing left-to-right, but original on the right and mod on the left lets the work being done be in the side of the screen/window we're used to looking at while coding, and the original can sit out of the way on the right side like a reference. Do you have any other reasons for (or against) either one?

I have no idea what you mean by the bolded part.

• ♿ (Parody)

The left side of my IDE is the file tree. The code is on the right side. Also, my right monitor is the primary monitor, because that's what works for the way my desk is positioned. As I already mentioned, I really have no idea what he was assuming there.

• @anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

@cvi The 'x' stands for eXecutable, don't cha know...

I had somebody else point out that the 'm' stands for malicious, so it all starts to make sense.

• One of my YouTube playlists no longer exists. 1500 videos I'll never find again. I didn't delete it, in fact I added a video to it just this morning. :wtf: YouTube?

Guess I'll be using youtube-dl to backup the titles and IDs of my remaining playlists for now...

EDIT: Found this email. The playlist was unlisted, who could have flagged it??
    0_1511203147131_900a08e4-0013-4a60-87a2-a708aa6df119-image.png

• @bb36e said in WTF Bites:

Edit edit: Or maybe spiral or winding back-and-forth or some other variant?

you are neglecting the Z axis

Tried that. But managing the monitor shuffle was a huge productivity killer. Plus my coworker hated me (open space) since I needed half his desk space too.

• 🚽 Regular

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

@cvi The 'x' stands for eXecutable, don't cha know...

I had somebody else point out that the 'm' stands for malicious, so it all starts to make sense.

Yes, it's an eXecutable Malicious Library.

• @boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

Original on the left and mod on the right follows the idea of timelines (and most languages) flowing left-to-right, but original on the right and mod on the left lets the work being done be in the side of the screen/window we're used to looking at while coding, and the original can sit out of the way on the right side like a reference. Do you have any other reasons for (or against) either one?

I have no idea what you mean by the bolded part.

Having the file that is being modified placed on the left side of the screen/window keeps the code closer to the same place that it would normally be while being modified. Basically, that part does not change, so the only difference between "regular" code development and this revision comparison would be in displaying the original version of the code as a reference on the right side, which is normally not used to display code unless the lines are extra long.

If the static original is displayed on the left side and the code being modified is on the right, then the modifications would be in a different place than might be expected by your expectations, if you are used to developing with the code displayed in the same place all the time.

Edit:
    @boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

The left side of my IDE is the file tree. The code is on the right side.

Would you expect the older code that you are comparing against to display between your file tree and the newer code, or on the right side?

(file tree) old code new code

or

(file tree) new code old code

• ♿ (Parody)

Having the file that is being modified placed on the left side of the screen/window keeps the code closer to the same place that it would normally be while being modified. Basically, that part does not change

Yeah...wat?

Would you expect the older code that you are comparing against to display between your file tree and the newer code, or on the right side?

I have always done the "new" stuff on the right as you do. I just don't understand where you get the idea that the code that I'm normally working on in the usual course of editing text is on the left side.

• @boomzilla Would it make more sense if, instead of saying "left side of the screen", I substituted "left-aligned" for "left side", or if I said "old code to the left of the new code" and vice versa, or if I otherwise mentioned relative placement with respect to each other?

(Or maybe someone likes to do file comparisons with old code above and new code below (on the Y-axis instead of the X-axis) (or vice versa), so none of the above would apply?)

• ♿ (Parody)

Would it make more sense if, instead of saying "left side of the screen", I substituted "left-aligned" for "left side"

Um...no. Unless you're suggesting that the right hand pane would be not left aligned.

, or if I said "old code to the left of the new code" and vice versa, or if I otherwise mentioned relative placement with respect to each other?

Yes, the general left to right thing makes sense. Because it's not referring to something that is false (at least in my case).

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

who could have flagged it??

A bot.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

@LB_ said in WTF Bites:

A bot.

Like you? :trollface:

• 🚽 Regular

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

A bot.

Just looked to see if I still had all my playlists, look to be all still there but every single one of my videos is now marked 'not eligible for monetization'. None have background music and they are all about engineering. Hmmm

@cursorkeys said in WTF Bites:

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

A bot.

Just looked to see if I still had all my playlists, look to be all still there but every single one is now marked 'not eligible for monetization'. None have background music and they are all about engineering. Hmmm

Yes. It was an idea I had when YouTube rolled out automated flagging. Not surprised someone's implemented it.

• @lb_ why the fuck can a playlist be considered "inappropriate" anyway?

• @anotherusername That's what I want to know. I mean, you can set descriptions for playlists, and leave notes on individual videos, but I didn't do that and the description was benign. If there's videos in the playlist that break YouTube's community guidelines, they should just be removed from YouTube and/or the playlist...

Anyway I ended up going back 4 months through my subscription feed to manually recreate it. I used some JavaScript console magic to remove irrelevant videos from the feed once I had loaded back far enough, which made things easier, then I put it all in Watch Later with the handy button on each thumbnail. Then I moved the videos from Watch Later back into the playlist and removed them from Watch Later. Only took about an hour.

• area_can

@anotherusername I guess you could maybe make the video names spell out something naughty when put together...? idk, it's youtube

@bb36e said in WTF Bites:

@anotherusername I guess you could maybe make the video names spell out something naughty when put together...? idk, it's youtube

Challenge accepted! Maybe. Idk if I have enough videos I might actually watch to do something like that...

• Considered Harmful

@anotherusername Dammit, I was going to make that joke.

• @cvi said in WTF Bites:

Well, that part's hard to disagree with.

• Considered Harmful

eXcessively Moronic / Loquacious

@tsaukpaetra

0_1511235829141_5eb90356-0060-448f-bf21-082ea2b88cbf-image.png

???

What is "mARBLECAKE" ?

(Checks UD...)

FFS people!

• 🚽 Regular

@tsaukpaetra

0_1511235829141_5eb90356-0060-448f-bf21-082ea2b88cbf-image.png

???

"Where is this picture from?", he asked before uploading it to TinEye and finding this:

• 🚽 Regular

What is "mARBLECAKE" ?

Well the article I linked above says:

So what is the significance of ‘marblecake’? Zombocom says: ” Marblecake was an irc channel where the “Message to Scientology” video originated. Many believe we are “dead” or only doing hugraids etc, so I thought it would also be a way of saying : we’re still around and we don’t just do only “moralfag” stuff .

(Checks UD...)

"Messages hidden (intentionally or unintentionally) within a picture or another body of text."
    That's not so bad. What is @Tsaukpaetra talking ab...

(Keeps reading)

:facepalm: :donotwant:

• kills Dumbledore

I think there's some sort of GPO policy at work to keep the "suggested sites" link in IE, even if you turn it off and delete it.

If you try to turn it off and delete it, it re adds it. Then it adds another one. And another one. I haven't deleted them in a while, so the right hand side of my bookmark bar looks like this

0_1511256338540_8ff6da77-9d3d-475c-ac10-f96c3f84f1f4-image.png

• 0_1511261909372_site-logo.png

Another big presentation ("the biggest one yet!!"), another last-minute feature-testing panic.

One of the head honchos is pulling all the strings, and bringing me into the loop, to help get everything ready. 10 minutes before the meeting, she is reporting that "uploading doesn't work".

I try it out. Works fine.

Honcho: "Maybe it's the wifi in the cafe I am in".

0_1511262278138_eba3bca3-0b7f-461f-84cd-075df35fd882-image.png

• @lb_ said in WTF Bites:

One of my YouTube playlists no longer exists. 1500 videos I'll never find again. I didn't delete it, in fact I added a video to it just this morning. :wtf: YouTube?

EDIT: Found this email. The playlist was unlisted, who could have flagged it??

Maybe there is a maximum list size and by adding one video you just crossed the line? I know, it doesn't make sense (maybe something something bots something?), but 1500 seems like a pretty large number, so that might be the unusual bit in your case...

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

What is "mARBLECAKE" ?

Here's a SFW reference describing the origination of that image: