WTF Bites

• area_can

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

Downloading updates: 0%

Not much has changed since Windows XP

Windows 10 stays at 40% for a while for me, so I guess it's progress?

• Java Dev

@arantor :wtf: That's stupid. Use whatever program you want, open or closed I say. I'm all for more open source, but I can't stand the people who go "You can only use FOSS! FOSS is god!" because that's just moronic.

• @atazhaia considering that our entire business model is building for open source platforms, every single one of our customers uses open source and I get paid to make things that get released as open source...

They're enthusiastic about open source, and on some level it's nice to see people who genuinely believe in the freedoms it brings. It's not just one or two people, the entire company follows this mentality. Everyone has Ubuntu on the desktop except for literally the one or two machines that need to be Windows to run software to interact with some of our more awkward customers (think large institutions that run open source software for part of their business, but then deal exclusively in proprietary software for the rest)

We even do stuff that's AGPL compliant, which is... weird.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@arantor said in WTF Bites:

@atazhaia I use Windows at home, Ubuntu at work, have spent extensive time in the not so distant past on macOS, I still find Ubuntu the least friendly of the three.

Which is hilarious to me. Since, wasn't one of their tenets being a People OS?

• Dupa

@maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

@pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

Powershell tab-completes everything, including parameters and file paths.

But it doesn't list the options; it autocompletes the candidates one at a time, which is annoying.

PowerTab is very much a must-have for command line PowerShell:

Or you could just the ISE.

• @tsaukpaetra That doesn't mean they're good at it.

• Considered Harmful

@atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

but I think Windows/Linux is the most helpful for my work.

Haven't come across that one yet. Is it anything like GNU/Linux? 🚎

• Java Dev

@pie_flavor Oh, right, they had to rename it. It's called ReactOS nowadays and I hear it's quite the hoot! 🚎

• @arantor said in WTF Bites:

We even do stuff that's AGPL compliant, which is... weirdevil.

Kill it with thermonuclear fire.
    0_1508549800160_c7b17f54-d9f2-4f4d-b4ef-0a7bcf43210b-image.png

We even do stuff that's AGPL compliant, which is... weird.

Careful, talking about the AGPL on this forum will cause this forum to be licensed under the AGPL!

• @pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

but I think Windows/Linux is the most helpful for my work.

Haven't come across that one yet. Is it anything like GNU/Linux? 🚎

Imagine if all your core utilities went through Wine...

• @atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

Maybe it'll get more sane once they scrap Unity

@atazhaia it's not like I got a choice to use Ubuntu at work ;)

Well, you don't have to use Unity on Ubuntu. It still has a KDE and LXDE and MATE and everything else Debian has (and if it comes to the worst, you can always add the Debian archive to the sources list), so just install desktop environment that suits you better. Its the part that makes for most of the user comfort anyway.

• Java Dev

@bulb My reasons for using Mint are more than just the DE. I like the default packages better and I find the Mint team has a more sane philosophy overall. Also, it's green accents by default and green > orange. :P

• @bulb Alas I can't justify the time spent futzing around on redoing desktop environment when I have to timesheet things to customers etc.

Actually let me put that into context, it's kind of a WTF bite in itself.

We at some point in our history, rolled our own issue tracker. Said system also doubles as project management tool, and works out timesheeting because everything's a ticket. Even leave is handled as a ticket that you timesheet hours to.

So said system has an interface for entering time against tickets.

Said system's interface is so terrible - but remember, internal so all source is available - that other developers made a command line tool to import a suitably formatted text file into it rather than making people use the interface.

Some other internal developers also made a tool to take the output from Hamster and port it to the file format that this internal tool uses.

• 0_1508599970379_2fd9626a-7e3f-4b52-bd60-a03cf1bea98f-image.png

Oh, okay.

• Java Dev

So I became a Google Maps Local Guide. Today I got two mails:

Congratulations, you are now Local Guide, level 2

followed by

Do you know what your Local Guides level is?

Well, yeah, you just told me. Also, the first mail came from Google Local Guides and the second from "Google Local Guides" with quotation marks. Good job, Google!

0_1508625023341_google-local-guides.png

So I became a Google Maps Local Guide.

But ... are you ready to share more? Google Maps has detected a popular photo opportunity nearby.

For some reason, Google Maps thinks that the local supermarket is a really popular place people take photos of.

• Java Dev

@cvi Yeah. I got spammed with those notifications before I signed up as a guide too.

I noticed a few fun things with the questions I get for places Google has detected me visiting. Like when it asked me a bunch of questions about the bus stop outside my house (just a pole with a bus sign and a timetable) and treated like it was a full station pretty much. "Is the station staffed?" "Can you buy tickets here?" "Is there seating?" "Does it have shelter?" Well... There is a tree next to it that gives a bit of protection from rain...

• Considered Harmful

@cvi Yeah. I got spammed with those notifications before I signed up as a guide too.

I noticed a few fun things with the questions I get for places Google has detected me visiting. Like when it asked me a bunch of questions about the bus stop outside my house (just a pole with a bus sign and a timetable) and treated like it was a full station pretty much. "Is the station staffed?" "Can you buy tickets here?" "Is there seating?" "Does it have shelter?" Well... There is a tree next to it that gives a bit of protection from rain...

Well, it has no idea whether it's a big ole station or a bench underneath a tree. It could probably be a little more intelligent about cataloguing buildings, but until people like you tell it this stuff, it doesn't know.

• Java Dev

@pie_flavor Yeah. I think it would be possible to build an algorithm that can figure based off a combination of parameters like town size, station name, number of routes stopping and the general area. Or just have the first question be "what kind of station is this" and go with followup questions based off that.

@bulb My reasons for using Mint are more than just the DE. I like the default packages better and I find the Mint team has a more sane philosophy overall. Also, it's green accents by default and green > orange. :P

And Red > green > orange.

We at some point in our history, rolled our own issue tracker. Said system also doubles as project management tool, and works out timesheeting because everything's a ticket.

Ugh, yeah, I'm still in the process of juking all that out of our own game databases......

My favorites are when it asked me to post photos and a review of the office building I work in — it's an office building full of nerdy engineers and marketing bozos; it's not a place the public would ever visit — and requests for reviews of the hotel next door to the one I stayed in.

• Considered Harmful

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

False. All programmers must have their computers look Matrix-y at all times, in order to make walk-around manglement believe they are exemplary at their jobs.

@pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

False. All programmers must have their computers look Matrix-y at all times, in order to make walk-around manglement believe they are exemplary at their jobs.

That's why I differentiate myself, with a red interface, it's totally obvious I'm really not an infiltrator from the Collective! Perfect plan, nothing could go wrong!

I got spammed with those notifications before I signed up as a guide too.

The annoying part about the notifications is that they remind be of "The Circle", which is not a movie that's worth being reminded about. :-(

Lately, it's also started to ask me to fill in gaps in a timeline that I wasn't really aware it was tracking. Like, confirm that you spent 11 minutes at that random bus stop between 09:something and something. Or lunch at some place. Or 2 hours in a different office building. (I'll probably end up turning that off soon, just need to be annoyed enough while having my phone at hand.)

• @pie_flavor I happen to have a manager who is not only a sane and reasonable manager, he's also technical enough that Matrixy isn't enough to fool him.

• Considered Harmful

@pie_flavor I happen to have a manager who is not only a sane and reasonable manager, he's also technical enough that Matrixy isn't enough to fool him.

Yeah, but he makes you write in PHP.

• @pie_flavor he doesn't make me, I chose to work there. I used to write PHP in my old job, too.

Problem is, I don't know any other languages well enough that I'd feel comfortable doing them for money and I'm at the point in my career where going from a senior to a junior entails a major pay cut and lots of awkward questions.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Well... There is a tree next to it that gives a bit of protection from rain...

Great! You now know there's a public toilet there as well…

• Java Dev

@dkf Considering the tree itself is standing on someone's backyard, using it as a public toilet would probably lead to a bit of an awkward situation...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@atazhaia Yeah. Not that that stops some people. :(

• Java Dev

@dkf This week upon getting off the bus from work (not at the bus stop outside my house, this was a bus stop in the city centre), there was a guy who also got off the bus who walked straight out onto the lawn (of the city park) and started urinating in the middle of it. Didn't even try to get close to one of the nearby bushes. Classy.

• @atazhaia Don't you love it when people around the world come together to help build a database of information. And then give that database for free to a private company to exploit.

• @anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

@ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

0_1508308558281_2bd14cf4-fb3f-4e01-8ef0-4032fe81e8bc-image.png

The day is starting out just fine.

My favorite is when out of nowhere I get a

Microsoft Windows

This program is not responding.

I like "the following programs are preventing Windows from shutting down: " (none listed).

I get that not-infrequently:
    0_1508698209645_screenshot restart blocked by nothing.bmp

• @anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

Yes, but it kind of beggedraised the question of whether the dog was trained.

FTFM

• @Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

Didn't even try to get close to one of the nearby bushes.

I would've been tempted to offer to direct him toward the bushesnearby public restrooms. Or queue up behind him and ask him when he'll be done so I can take my turn. Or something else that would (hopefully) make him feel extremely awkward. (Or just push him over, if I wouldn't get in trouble for "assault"...)

• Java Dev

@djls45 Close to the bus stop is the town library. Which was open at the time and which does have freely accessible restrooms. So less than 100 meters away he'd had a proper toilet.

• Dupa

@pie_flavor Yeah. I think it would be possible to build an algorithm that can figure based off a combination of parameters like town size, station name, number of routes stopping and the general area. Or just have the first question be "what kind of station is this" and go with followup questions based off that.

A friend recently got grossed out a bit, because YouTube started suggesting to him videos about beer. He never googled anything about beer. I once took him for a pint to a local craft pub. Google recognized that, asked him for an opinion and then added to all the info they’ve got about him.

Creepy.

• Dupa

@dkf This week upon getting off the bus from work (not at the bus stop outside my house, this was a bus stop in the city centre), there was a guy who also got off the bus who walked straight out onto the lawn (of the city park) and started urinating in the middle of it. Didn't even try to get close to one of the nearby bushes. Classy.

Once saw a guy urinating on a lawn outside of a boat-storage-type-thingy. He had a building behind him, a tree on his left and a lake on his right. Instead he chose to point his junk directly at the only alley around. Where I was walking. With my gal.

He wasn’t showing off, too. He seemed to be oblivious to our presence. Wasn’t drunk though, think he was kinda slow.

Problem is, I don't know any other languages well enough that I'd feel comfortable doing them for money and I'm at the point in my career where going from a senior to a junior entails a major pay cut and lots of awkward questions.

Being a senior is a state of mind, the specific technologies don't matter.

In other words, nobody goes from being a senior to a junior.

• Considered Harmful

Lennart PoetteringMicrosoft: "you're holding it wrong!"

0_1508718464940_hiwDMZAtqxX4AAUvkt.jpg

Note it says "resolution", not "fucking crutch of a nasty workaround that you may or may not be able to apply".

@atazhaia Microsoft makes some software that is hard to use, yes. But they don't set out with the unspecified intention to build something that works gud enuf for them and fuck everyone else, unlike the majority of open source software, which might genuinely believe it doesn't do that, but does just that.

Uh... well, there's Poettering so you could say they're even.

• @laoc wait doesn't Microsoft distribute VMs with a user named IEUser?

• @djls45 said in WTF Bites:

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

0_1508308558281_2bd14cf4-fb3f-4e01-8ef0-4032fe81e8bc-image.png

The day is starting out just fine.

My favorite is when out of nowhere I get a

Microsoft Windows

This program is not responding.

I like "the following programs are preventing Windows from shutting down: " (none listed).

I get that not-infrequently:
    0_1508698209645_screenshot restart blocked by nothing.bmp

BMP screenshots are TRWTF...

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

@atazhaia Don't you love it when people around the world come together to help build a database of information. And then give that database for free to a private company to exploit.

Capitalism in a nutshell. 🔨 ✊

(Yeah yeah yeah, 🚎 🔥 is :arrows: )

• Considered Harmful

@laoc wait doesn't Microsoft distribute VMs with a user named IEUser?

Dunno, that would be the cherry on top.

• @ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

@laoc wait doesn't Microsoft distribute VMs with a user named IEUser?

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

Login Instructions
    Login Information (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10 VMs): IEUser, Passw0rd!

• Java Dev

@dcoder :facepalm:

It is clear MS don't read their own docs.

• @blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

Being a senior is a state of mind, the specific technologies don't matter.
    In other words, nobody goes from being a senior to a junior.

Not entirely sure I agree about that.

A dev with 15 years PHP experience plus relevant certifications, moving to a job that is effectively entry level for NodeJS - just for example. No-one is going to take someone like me on at comparable salary when I don't have even close to the experience that they could get for less.

To put some numbers on it, at my level, typical salary for this town (which is hipster town so prices are higher), £40k is the sort of figure for a senior PHP dev. Call it £38k to £45k as the range maybe.

Now, I don't have 15 years in JavaScript (let alone NodeJS specifically; it ain't that old). I wouldn't even call it 5 years in JavaScript even though I have written JS on and off since 2000, I hate the language, I can use it but any of the complex stuff in ES2017, things like promises, eh, never used them, never had to.

On that basis, were I applying for a JS job, I would struggle to pass as a senior. Yes, I've been around and know the general CS stuff, yes I can learn new things - but on the other hand, selling myself as a PHP expert ain't hard, selling myself as a JS developer feels almost like fraud to me. Which means I'd be looking at positions in the £28k to £30k region which are all advertised as juniors. Never mind that at 34 with grey hair, I look like I'm already over the hill in this damned industry.