WTF Bites

• Notification Spam Recipient

@pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

https://i.imgur.com/g4AY9FB.png

Netflix has been doing this to me recently. It's not a generic single-drawing garblement, either, because if I mouse over 'manage profiles' it disappears and if I mouse off then it comes back again.

You need to make your browser 3px slimmer.

:wtf: that actually worked

How on earth is this not a common browser resolution?

Ask Blakeyrat, I'm sure he'd be overjoyed to explain it to you...

@blakeyrat how is this not a common browser resolution

:facepalm: Wow, you actually did it. *Sidesteps to the side*

• :belt_onion:

@ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

As far as I know, Docker images aren't verified the way that, say, DEBs or RPMs are by default, where an unknown signer is denied by default (although I do know that docker images can have some sort of signature in their JSON definitions)

It does now if you enable it; look up content trust, which is what I was talking about.

• @ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

how can you "prove" something about a lower layer of abstraction? A virtual machine can't know for sure that it's a virtual machine, it can only guess. The lack or presence of any "virtual"-looking hardware is not a guarantee one way or the other.

From what I understood from a quick look at the article, what they actually proved is that simulating physics is O(cn).

Myself, I never really understood how this notion (simulating the universe with a computer in that same universe) would seem plausible to anyone. I mean, any simulation would require some sort of overhead. Since the only thing you have available to implement the simulation in is that same universe itself, you obviously cannot reproduce it entirely accurately.

• Java Dev

And then I got reminded of this WTF. Dunno if I posted it before, but don't think.
    So in this course catalog there's this one: Web server programming. Now, what do you think that course may be about?

PHP (or similar, with related topics)

• It must be a day ending in "Y", because Chrome has once again changed the status of being able to search Wikipedia in the address bar. Current status: Can't.

Status for searching Youtube this way: Can.

• Considered Harmful

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

It must be a day ending in "Y", because Chrome has once again changed the status of being able to search Wikipedia in the address bar. Current status: Can't.

Status for searching Youtube this way: Can.

https://i.imgur.com/4hcYumy.png

Looks fine to me.

Is the Wikipedia home page not your top autocomplete? If not, that'll block it (making you type the full wikipedia.com before tabbing).

Is the Wikipedia home page not your top autocomplete?

0_1507224955654_dec6896b-c5bf-48ee-a988-da12dd410e73-image.png

No.

• Considered Harmful

Is the Wikipedia home page not your top autocomplete?

0_1507224955654_dec6896b-c5bf-48ee-a988-da12dd410e73-image.png

No.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's your fault. Take the four extra keystrokes to go to wikipedia.org like a cultured person.
    Meanwhile, you can remove that autocomplete by highlighting it and pressing Shift+Del.

• @tsaukpaetra just manually type out and visit https://en.wikipedia.org a few times and it'll sort itself to the top.

EDIT: Or TIL about deleting autocomplete, thanks @pie_flavor

• @pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

Is the Wikipedia home page not your top autocomplete? If not, that'll block it (making you type the full wikipedia.com before tabbing).

Apparently at some point between yesterday and today my default autocomplete for wik has changed to wiki.apache.org. wiki auto-completes to a Google search for "wikipedia", which also doesn't work. Now the shortest way I can find to do the thing I want is to:

• type wiki
    • hit to accept that auto-complete
    • type .
    • hit Tab to go to the next line (www.wikipedia.org)
    • hit Tab again to initiate the search

• Considered Harmful

Apparently at some point between yesterday and today my default autocomplete for wik has changed to wiki.apache.org. wiki auto-completes to a Google search for "wikipedia", which also doesn't work. Now the shortest way I can find to do the thing I want is to:

• type wiki
    • hit to accept that auto-complete
    • type .
    • hit Tab to go to the next line (www.wikipedia.org)
    • hit Tab again to initiate the search

Delete the autocomplete for the google search; visit wikipedia.org a couple of times to bring it up from wiki.apache.org.

• @hungrier you know, I just realized I must be the only person to access wikipedia by typing en first.

• Considered Harmful

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

@hungrier you know, I just realized I must be the only person to access wikipedia by typing en first.

That would be another way to game the autocomplete. But yes, you are.

• @pie_flavor My preferred browser may be turning into a flimsy hermetically-sealed fingerpaint festival, but at least it handles search right:

0_1507225724612_03dfc644-82f5-4fe4-b86c-55a788d312ec-image.png

• Considered Harmful

@twelvebaud said in WTF Bites:

@pie_flavor My preferred browser may be turning into a flimsy hermetically-sealed fingerpaint festival, but at least it handles search right:

0_1507225724612_03dfc644-82f5-4fe4-b86c-55a788d312ec-image.png

Can you do it entirely (and simply) with the keyboard? Actually asking, don't know.

Ctrl+L wiki Tab [term] Enter

• @lb_ I just tried that and for some reason, it won't initiate the search, even though the first auto-complete is indeed en.wikipedia.org, and the search url is en.wikipedia.org. But since the keyword is just wikipedia.org, no go. Stupid Chrome.

I like Opera's way better: It's not automatic but once you've added the keywords they don't randomly change on you.

• Considered Harmful

@lb_ I just tried that and for some reason, it won't initiate the search, even though the first auto-complete is indeed en.wikipedia.org, and the search url is en.wikipedia.org. But since the keyword is just wikipedia.org, no go. Stupid Chrome.

I like Opera's way better: It's not automatic but once you've added the keywords they don't randomly change on you.

What, you mean like this?

https://i.imgur.com/HLnVKky.png

Try actually visiting the URL before attempting to search with it.

• @pie_flavor Setting it up is manual though not onerous (add it as a search engine if it's not one of those six, go to that page, and enter a "keyword"). Once it's set up,
    F6 wiki Space [term] Enter

Which is also what Chrome used to do and Opera still does.

• @pie_flavor ENOREPRO

Whether I type the whole thing out or select it from autocomplete, I never get the "Press tab" prompt for en.wikipedia.org, even after visiting it. Pressing tab just takes me to the next suggestion.

• Considered Harmful

@pie_flavor ENOREPRO

Whether I type the whole thing out or select it from autocomplete, I never get the "Press tab" prompt for en.wikipedia.org, even after visiting it. Pressing tab just takes me to the next suggestion.

'it doesn't work how do i make it work' - the bane of all IT everywhere

Post a screenshot of the autocomplete box, with en.wikipedia.org typed in.

• @pie_flavor

0_1507226393925_1b3d65ad-d6d6-4565-aeef-c984e2a7e8f8-image.png

After hitting Tab
    0_1507226438716_ef10bc12-aea7-430b-a554-35f4adc45789-image.png

And no, I haven't recently looked up Photoshop on Wikipedia (for certain definitions of recently; it might have been earlier this year?)

• Considered Harmful

@pie_flavor

0_1507226393925_1b3d65ad-d6d6-4565-aeef-c984e2a7e8f8-image.png

After hitting Tab
    0_1507226438716_ef10bc12-aea7-430b-a554-35f4adc45789-image.png

And no, I haven't recently looked up Photoshop on Wikipedia (for certain definitions of recently; it might have been earlier this year?)

And you've directly gone to en.wikipedia.org a few times?

• @pie_flavor A couple times before trying it. I suspect it may not be offering me the option because it's already got the wikipedia.org keyword for the same url, but who knows with Chrome?

• Considered Harmful

@pie_flavor A couple times before trying it. I suspect it may not be offering me the option because it's already got the wikipedia.org keyword for the same url, but who knows with Chrome?

🤷♂ You must be :doing_it_wrong:. Works for me.

@pie_flavor A couple times before trying it. I suspect it may not be offering me the option because it's already got the wikipedia.org keyword for the same url, but who knows with Chrome?

🤷♂ You must be :doing_it_wrong:. Works for me.

He should be able to manually add the "search engine" too

FWIW, typing "en.wiki" autocompleted to "en.wikipedia.org" with no tab-to-search. I visited the page, and now it's there

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

@hungrier you know, I just realized I must be the only person to access wikipedia by typing en first.

I use http://enwp.org/Article since I generally know what I want (and it'll go to search if I don't). Very quick since you generally don't have to type the protocol.

• @hungrier I think you actually have to use the search function on the wikipedia homepage for it to register.

• ♿ (Parody)

Ay ay fucking ay.

Our reports dev checked in a new report. It's not a terribly busy day, so I thought I'd take a look and see what she did. Then my eyes started to bleed.

So...she had two CTEs. I asked :wtf: she thought that she was doing with those and with having every SELECT be DISTINCT:

"The purpose is union all frobnicated foos with unfrobnicated foos (uniquely). Before do the union, I take out the same part from both of them called: 'foo'."

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Now, there can be multiple foos with the same name. All but one of them would be copies in what are basically scratch areas where users can try stuff to see how it will work, etc, without affecting any actual real world stuff. So if you were just querying by name, it's true that you could get duplicates. But...that has absolutely nothing to do with what she's doing.

But...the way she did it was totally fucking retarded. Anonymized (there were some conditions and other fields involved but this gets to the minimum fuckery):

with f as (
        select distinct
        	f.id id,
          	f.name,
          	f.frobnicate_id
        from foo f
     ),
     foo as (
        select distinct
        	f.id,
          	f.name,
        from f
        where f.frobnicate_id is not null
    	union
        select distinct
        	f.id,
          	f.name,
        from f
        where f.frobnicate_id is null
    	     and f.name not in (
                    	select
                    		f.name
            			from foo f
            			where f.frobnicate_id is not null
    				  )

HOW BRAINDEAD DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO CHECK IN THIS SHIT?

Meanwhile, you can remove that autocomplete by highlighting it and pressing Shift+Del.

Fucking lifesaver, man! Why don't they tutorialize that??? Goddam discoverable, that!

Edit: Wait, no, still doesn't suggest en.wikipedia.org over when I start typing just wikip, just wants to google it.

buuuut en works just fine.

Apparently @lb_ and I are in the same boat...

• My small WTF of the day: At my school, I'm the person responsible for doing basic maintenance on the printers (which means: Replace the toner and drums for the laser printers, ink for the inkjets and keep those three items in stock).

Some of my colleagues have become accustomed to replacing the toner themselves, I didn't mind much as long as they told me they did it (so I can keep stock of my stock). Which, of course, leads to problems when replacing ink/toner is their first response to any kind of status light on the printer in question.

Come next Monday, I'll have to educate them that if the status light next to "Drum" is alight, then the toner does not need to be replaced.

• @ixvedeusi said in WTF Bites:

@ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

how can you "prove" something about a lower layer of abstraction? A virtual machine can't know for sure that it's a virtual machine, it can only guess. The lack or presence of any "virtual"-looking hardware is not a guarantee one way or the other.

From what I understood from a quick look at the article, what they actually proved is that simulating physics is O(cn).

Myself, I never really understood how this notion (simulating the universe with a computer in that same universe) would seem plausible to anyone. I mean, any simulation would require some sort of overhead. Since the only thing you have available to implement the simulation in is that same universe itself, you obviously cannot reproduce it entirely accurately.

The laws of physics in this universe definitely couldn't apply to any universe that was simulating this one perfectly. It's entirely unimportant to know if we're in a simulation for the same reason that we will never know: a perfect simulation is indistinguishable from the real thing to an observer located inside the simulation.

• Considered Harmful

Fucking lifesaver, man! Why don't they tutorialize that??? Goddam discoverable, that!

Edit: Wait, no, still doesn't suggest en.wikipedia.org over when I start typing just wikip, just wants to google it.

That's Del, not ← Backspace.

Also, again, it's your fault for being brain-dead enough to Google for Wikipedia.

That's Del, not ← Backspace.

Also, again, it's your fault for being brain-dead enough to Google for Wikipedia.

I've never googled for Wikipedia.

0_1507237742391_a6556136-3205-4cfc-b42f-495bede9c8d9-image.png

I've also never googled for en.wikipedia.org:

0_1507237883613_c27f1899-26a3-4e66-b8cd-d3b672229ca0-image.png

In fact, the fact that the icon is a magnifying glass instead of a star or favicon indicates that it's a search suggestion:

0_1507237439094_52678cb1-5ab2-4493-a71c-8ab5fcbe2236-image.png

And no, pressing Shift+Del or Shift+Backspace doesn't actually seem to delete search suggestions, so this is on Google now.

Shift-Del works to delete non-search-suggestion entries like the following:

0_1507237568563_8511cdaa-0456-4390-a611-172c7f7ac80f-image.png

Your turn.

• Considered Harmful

@tsaukpaetra And you've tried repeatedly visiting wikipedia.org?

• @lb_ said in WTF Bites:

I must be the only person to access wikipedia by typing en first.

No, you're not. en autocompletes to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page for me. But it's always #1 or #2 of the tiles of frequently used sites, so it's easier to just click that.

No! Why would I do that when I could go to en.wikipedia.org instead?

Sure I've been there once or twice, but it's not as direct as the alternate. Regardless if I've been there once or a thousand times, it should have been entered into history and therefore a more likely match to wikip than nothing at all.

And since search engines are apparently added automatically when you visit a site that has the right incantations, the search should have taken precedence over even that!

• Considered Harmful

Sure I've been there once or twice, but it's not as direct as the alternate. Regardless if I've been there once or a thousand times, it should have been entered into history and therefore a more likely match to wikip than nothing at all.

And since search engines are apparently added automatically when you visit a site that has the right incantations, the search should have taken precedence over even that!

The search incantation is when the full site url is in the box, whether by autocomplete or not. If you don't visit it a few times, then it won't autocomplete. You have used Chrome before, yes? This is WONTFIX_ASDESIGNED.

The search incantation is when the full site url is in the box, whether by autocomplete or not. If you don't visit it a few times, then it won't autocomplete. You have used Chrome before, yes? This is WONTFIX_ASDESIGNED.

Interestingly enough, apparently my home computer has seen me "visit it a few times":
    0_1507268644967_5dea53c6-8200-4e82-9020-821ab9533ea0-image.png

And lo and behold, it doth suggest a search!

But... why is it different on my work computer? They're the same account synced and everything! :/

Whatever.

Let's find a new WTF Bite, k?

• http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/news/article/Baytown-viral-video-woman-fighting-nachos-12254033.php?utm_medium=website

Viral video. Website turns into into a slideshow.

Bonus WTF

A call was made to the Baytown Police Department Wednesday evening to see if any assault charges have been placed. The officer on duty said call back Thursday morning.

• 🚽 Regular

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

I sometimes go as far as typing "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/" plus the thing I want to read about with spaces substituted for underlines.

Because I'm like that.

• 🚽 Regular

• @hardwaregeek said in WTF Bites:

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

I must be the only person to access wikipedia by typing en first.

No, you're not. en autocompletes to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page for me. But it's always #1 or #2 of the tiles of frequently used sites, so it's easier to just click that.

Why would you ever go to the main page? :wtf:

• kills Dumbledore

TIL people actually use that tab to search thing in Chrome

• BINNED

I don't usually complain about git, but this is incredibly dumb: When you're in a detached HEAD state and you make a commit, checking out any other commit throws that one away. Makes sense, that's what the detached HEAD state is for, and it warns you this will happen when you get into that state:

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
    changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
    state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

TR:wtf: is the output when you actually do that:

$ git branch
    * (HEAD detached at ca9a10d5)
    $ git checkout master
    Warning: you are leaving 1 commit behind, not connected to
    any of your branches:

7566e0d0 Blabla

If you want to keep it by creating a new branch, this may be a good time
    to do so with:

git branch <new-branch-name> 7566e0d0

Switched to branch 'master'
    Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.

What a helpful error message, it even tells you how to fix the problem and preserve your commit... except you get no opportunity to actually do it, everything after git checkout master happens immediately with no further interaction. It's like it's taunting you.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blek It usually takes a while (up to a week) before commits are garbage collected. While your GUI is usually configured not to, that orphaned commit is probably still there and you can rescue it if you get on with it immediately.

• BINNED

@dkf Huuuuh. TIL.

(Now that would be nice to point out in the output...)

• 🚽 Regular

@blek They did. Kind of.

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@blek It usually takes a while (up to a week) before commits are garbage collected. While your GUI is usually configured not to, that orphaned commit is probably still there and you can rescue it if you get on with it immediately.

git reflog is one of the best things Git has, and it really should be in more introductions to Git. "Want the equivalent of Ctrl+Z? Can't remember what the hell you were doing 30 seconds ago or what branch you were on because you're getting fucking old? git reflog."

• kills Dumbledore

@heterodox what if you haven't already done git flog? What does reflog do then?

• ♿ (Parody)

@jaloopa I, too, cannot read reflog any other way than re-flog.