WTF Bites

• @timebandit said in WTF Bites:

@raceprouk said in WTF Bites:

Sony's. They rejected our reality and substituted their own.

They should rename themselves "Sorry" 🤷🏻♂

That's wacist!

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@blek said in WTF Bites:

Fun read

Didn't this make the front page some time ago? I'm sure I remember a story within the past year or two with something like this going on. In particular, the reason it took longer to get something one way than another was because there was some person in a closet manually transferring all the info from one system into another...

Now that I think about it, it may have been spread across more than one article. Or maybe someone came through there looking for ideas.

Ah! Here we go:

• Notification Spam Recipient

@mzh said in WTF Bites:

Bought the Galaxy S8 and saw that it can be unlocked with iris recognition. Neat! Then I see this warning:

http://i.imgur.com/XrVZUU3.png

Ummm .... no thanks.

WTF are they shooting X-rays at your face or something?!?!?!!?

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

@pjh said in WTF Bites:

@raceprouk said in WTF Bites:

Why is there even a limit?

Presumably to preemptively stop the potential abuse for 'extending' your family by adding your friends onto it?

Would you stand to gain anything by doing that? Why's it even a problem?

Bugmenot adding everyone as a family member and therefore everyone gets all the paid apps they want once it's bought.

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

WTF are they shooting X-rays at your face or something?!?!?!!?

It's illuminating your eye with infrared light, which can cause discomfort and damage at high enough intensities (hence the warning).

Also,

Hacking the Samsung Galaxy S8 Irisscanner – 01:17
    — media.ccc.de

• @mzh once again proving that just like fingerprints, your eye is a password you can't change and that everyone can see.

• 🚽 Regular

@mzh said in WTF Bites:

Hacking the Samsung Galaxy S8 Irisscanner

Windows 3.1 - Tada – 00:03
    — ProductDesignsYT

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

@mzh said in WTF Bites:

Hacking the Samsung Galaxy S8 Irisscanner

Windows 3.1 - Tada – 00:03
    — ProductDesignsYT

Suggested video:
    Top 10 Windows Startup Sounds – 01:16
    — Oheao

And now I want to add unlock sounds back...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

@mzh once again proving that just like fingerprints, your eye is a password you can't change and that everyone can see.

a.k.a., a username and not a password.

• @dreikin The My Get Me There article says the system dates from August this year, but that front page article ran in May.

• Visual Studio 2015 popped up this information-packed dialog:

0_1505305987047_889e495e-e3cf-4a49-8550-1feaad4204b8-image.png

So I jumped through all the hoops to get the description of the exception and it is:

Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensibilityHosting.InvalidMEFCacheException: The Visual Studio component cache is out of date. Please restart Visual Studio.
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensibilityHosting.FaultCatchingAssemblyLoader.<LoadAssembly>b__15_0(AssemblyName assemblyNameParam)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensibilityHosting.Utilities.SafeGetOrAdd[TKey,TValue](IDictionary`2 dictionary, TKey key, Object lockObj, Func`2 valueFactory)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensibilityHosting.FaultCatchingAssemblyLoader.LoadAssembly(AssemblyName assemblyName)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.Reflection.TypeRef.get_ResolvedType()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.LazyMetadataWrapper.Enum32Substitution.get_ActualValue()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.LazyMetadataWrapper.SubstituteValueIfRequired(Object value)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.LazyMetadataWrapper.SubstituteValueIfRequired(String key, Object value)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.LazyMetadataWrapper.TryGetValue(String key, Object& value)
       at _proxy_Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.IWpfTextViewMarginMetadata_d4af32f7-0e94-49ad-8596-d467f8314403.get_GridUnitType()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.ContainerMargin.AddMargin(IWpfTextViewMargin margin, Lazy`2 marginProvider, Boolean trackVisibility)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.ContainerMargin.AddMargins(IList`1 providers, List`1 oldMargins)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.ContainerMargin.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.RightControlMarginProvider.CreateMargin(IWpfTextViewHost wpfTextViewHost, IWpfTextViewMargin marginContainer)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.ContainerMargin.<AddMargins>b__25_1(IWpfTextViewMarginProvider mp)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.InstantiateExtension[TExtension,TMetadata,TExtensionInstance](Object errorSource, Lazy`2 provider, Func`2 getter)

:wtf: couldn't they include at least the message in the dialog ⁉

@carrievs said in WTF Bites:

@dreikin The My Get Me There article says the system dates from August this year, but that front page article ran in May.

Damn you, causality!

@dreikin The My Get Me There article says the system dates from August this year, but that front page article ran in May.

I'm not saying it had to be the same one, but there are a lot of similarities in the gist of it.

• @izzion said in WTF Bites:

an uncle's nephew

Who else's nephew would it be?

• kills Dumbledore

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

@izzion said in WTF Bites:

an uncle's nephew

Who else's nephew would it be?

An aunt's

• @dreikin fair enough, I misunderstood.

• @maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

Dear Vivaldi developers: you can either have dragging a tab outside the window have it open a new window with that tab, or you can have the tab behave like a text selection that can be dropped into a text field. But don't do both.

Dear Vivaldi developers: you can either have dragging with the middle mouse button pressed scroll the page, or you can have it select text. But... you know what not to do:

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

Visual Studio 2015 popped up this information-packed dialog:

0_1505305987047_889e495e-e3cf-4a49-8550-1feaad4204b8-image.png

So I jumped through all the hoops to get the description of the exception and it is:

Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensibilityHosting.InvalidMEFCacheException: The Visual Studio component cache is out of date. Please restart Visual Studio.
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensibilityHosting.FaultCatchingAssemblyLoader.<LoadAssembly>b__15_0(AssemblyName assemblyNameParam)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensibilityHosting.Utilities.SafeGetOrAdd[TKey,TValue](IDictionary`2 dictionary, TKey key, Object lockObj, Func`2 valueFactory)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensibilityHosting.FaultCatchingAssemblyLoader.LoadAssembly(AssemblyName assemblyName)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.Reflection.TypeRef.get_ResolvedType()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.LazyMetadataWrapper.Enum32Substitution.get_ActualValue()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.LazyMetadataWrapper.SubstituteValueIfRequired(Object value)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.LazyMetadataWrapper.SubstituteValueIfRequired(String key, Object value)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.LazyMetadataWrapper.TryGetValue(String key, Object& value)
       at _proxy_Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.IWpfTextViewMarginMetadata_d4af32f7-0e94-49ad-8596-d467f8314403.get_GridUnitType()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.ContainerMargin.AddMargin(IWpfTextViewMargin margin, Lazy`2 marginProvider, Boolean trackVisibility)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.ContainerMargin.AddMargins(IList`1 providers, List`1 oldMargins)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.ContainerMargin.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.RightControlMarginProvider.CreateMargin(IWpfTextViewHost wpfTextViewHost, IWpfTextViewMargin marginContainer)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.ContainerMargin.<AddMargins>b__25_1(IWpfTextViewMarginProvider mp)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.InstantiateExtension[TExtension,TMetadata,TExtensionInstance](Object errorSource, Lazy`2 provider, Func`2 getter)

:wtf: couldn't they include at least the message in the dialog ⁉

Formatted alternate username internal marked for Dox.

• @maciejasjmj I actually have a browser extension to disable middle-click scrolling because I would always accidentally move the mouse a little bit when I was trying to open a link in a new tab. Selecting text is an entirely new level of overloading the button...

• Considered Harmful

Since I have an SSD in my laptop, I tend to shut it down when I'm not using it instead of hibernating because it has comparable startup time and doesn't dump 16GB of RAM to a disk whose lifetime is measured by writes. I also use sleep for very short-term use, which I have set to activate when I close the lid. When I push the power button to turn it off, and then close the lid during the shutdown screen (which I can't imagine is an uncommon action for a normal person to take), Windows, in its infinite wisdom, decides I must have meant to sleep my computer in the middle of the shutdown sequence, and faithfully executes this instruction. So it sits there, in sleep mode, for however long I leave it "shut down" for. It might even use battery to maintain sleep if I've disconnected it. Then I open it, turn it on, and am presented with the end of the shutdown screen. As if it went to bed late and didn't want to wake up for school.

I cannot possibly imagine any use case for sleeping the computer in the middle of the goddamn shutdown.

• 🚽 Regular

@pie_flavor When I still had Win 10 on my laptop, I would regularly lock the screen, then close the lid. Sometimes this confused Windows, and the laptop would overheat and the battery would die, because the screen never shut off like it was supposed to.

@dreikin fair enough, I misunderstood.

To be fair, the way I phrased it does imply that I think they're talking about the exact same source, rather than being the same "story".

@pie_flavor said in WTF Bites:

Since I have an SSD in my laptop, I tend to shut it down when I'm not using it instead of hibernating because it has comparable startup time and doesn't dump 16GB of RAM to a disk whose lifetime is measured by writes. I also use sleep for very short-term use, which I have set to activate when I close the lid. When I push the power button to turn it off, and then close the lid during the shutdown screen (which I can't imagine is an uncommon action for a normal person to take), Windows, in its infinite wisdom, decides I must have meant to sleep my computer in the middle of the shutdown sequence, and faithfully executes this instruction. So it sits there, in sleep mode, for however long I leave it "shut down" for. It might even use battery to maintain sleep if I've disconnected it. Then I open it, turn it on, and am presented with the end of the shutdown screen. As if it went to bed late and didn't want to wake up for school.

I cannot possibly imagine any use case for sleeping the computer in the middle of the goddamn shutdown.

I believe this bug existed since Windows NT, though sleep was a much more hackyinteresting feature before good supporting standards came along...

Formatted alternate username internal marked for Dox.

The username is pretty guessable. Not worth anything, really.

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

worth anything

Information is always worth something! :)

• @tsaukpaetra Ok, it can be used to exclude many companies from list of places I might potentially work at, because they have different login scheme.

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

@tsaukpaetra Ok, it can be used to exclude many companies from list of places I might potentially work at, because they have different login scheme.

Yeah! And now I can ponder the to-be-discovered details about J Hudec*!

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

@tsaukpaetra Ok, it can be used to exclude many companies from list of places I might potentially work at, because they have different login scheme.

That would be pretty trivial with a bit of googling.

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

That would be pretty trivial with a bit of googling.

Trivial googling attempted. Apparently you didn't exist before ~2003-ish.

I vaguely recall using something called Alta Vista before that time. Might it be related?

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

I vaguely recall using something called Alta Vista before that. Might it be related?

Dunno, I don't have access to that archive. ;)

• @bulb said in WTF Bites:

before that timeš

š Actually, I am pretty sure I first heard of this newfangled Google thing in the old Unix lab when it still was on the fourth floor and had Solarises with glass teletype terminals attached, but already had some Linuxes too. Since it was moved to the rotunda² in the 2002 reconstruction, it must have been around 2001³.

² The building was originally a Jesuit college, though I don't think this round extension to the courtyard was ever a chapel; it's simply round.

³ I also seem to recall we were play-testing 0verkill⁴ there (or we were playing Doom; we were alternating those two passtimes).

⁴ It is a colleague's semestral project.

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

0verkill

0verkill is a client-server 2D deathmatch-like game in ASCII art. It supports free connecting/disconnecting during the game, and runs well on modem lines. Graphics are in 16-color ASCII art with elaborate hero animations. 0verkill features 4 different weapons, grenades, invisibility, and armor. The package also contains reaperbot clients, a simple graphics editor, and a level editor.

Sounds cool, half-tempted to build it and see what it's like. :D

I bet it can run longer than one week before failing to allow new connections though.... ;)

• 🚽 Regular

chrome://flags/#enable-tab-audio-muting

Why isn't this enabled by default? 😕

• Yesterday, colleague sent this to the whole team:

I would like to warn you all before updating iTunes (specifically version 12.7.0.166++) – in that version support for installing applications and obtaining their sandboxes (e.g. if you want logs) was removed.
    There are other ways to install application and get its data, but since this one is the most used here, don't update your iTunes for the time being.

Well, today it turned out that the support was not removed, just the interface to it was changed so the usual procedure we are used to use stopped working…

• @bulb
    Toe-may-toe Toe-mah-toe

@zecc said in WTF Bites:

Why isn't this enabled by default?

Presumably because it interferes with the other usual behaviour when you click on a tab. I just use right-click-on-tab-and-select-from-menu.

• 🚽 Regular

@dkf The usual behaviour seems to be "do nothing" (or at most "bring this tab to front").

I guess this could be a problem if you like to bring tabs to front by blinding clicking dangerously close to the close button.

• kills Dumbledore

JIRA
    0_1505401354644_3fa11568-ff73-42c2-91df-046e09190c83-image.png

Something in the setup means that whenever a ticket is advanced through the workflow, as well as the comment I add it also adds another one saying "some comment"

@jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

JIRA

Something in the setup means that whenever a ticket is advanced through the workflow, as well as the comment I add it also adds another one saying "some comment"

Why were you testing stuff on persons of color? Did you get IRB approval? It's the Tuskegee syphilis experiment all over again, isn't it⁉

• kills Dumbledore

@dreikin said in WTF Bites:

Why were you testing stuff on persons of color?

Proof Of Concept. The first test environment, where we're mostly allowed to fuck around to our heart's content

@jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

JIRA

Yes, that's in the workflow state transition definition somewhere. Glad it's just a test environment...

Well, today it turned out that the support was not removed, just the interface to it was changed so the usual procedure we are used to use stopped working…

We all know Apple doesn't care about backwards compatibility. "Oh, that doesn't work now. Time to buy a new machine! We have a $1K phone for you..."

• Chrome.

Firefox, to its credit, handled a CSS rule that had 2201 selectors just fine. (And yes, I was trying to be clever: instead of doing all the things with Javascript, I was trying to let CSS do a huge amount of the heavy lifting. Successfully.)

Chrome... apparently just said fuckit and applied the rule to everything on the damn page. Because why the fuck not? And the rule was display:none, so when I tried opening the page in Chrome I saw... nothing. And inspecting the elements that should've been visible just displayed that huge-ass rule, with no explanation of why it was matching elements that it shouldn't have matched.

Literally just replacing a whole bunch of the commas in the selector list with {display:none;} to break it into separate rules made it work just fucking fine; so it clearly had to just be choking on the size of the selector list.

Now I just need to figure out why the whole page has a fucking red background... oh look, it's the same fucking thing there too.

0_1505406329255_4fa71934-235f-4c9c-9457-ab00921d5eb1-528e851fa7d44042b50ad38c4dddf9d1620ec9c54429bba8b644b67332fefb56.jpg

Now I wonder if I should try to figure out why using the same exact linear transition to simultaneously decrease padding by 20px and increase margin by 20px makes the thing jiggle the page's layout while it's transitioning in Chrome.

Let's see, my options...
    A) figure out why Chrome is fucking broken
    B‌) fucking do it in Javascript, because I can damn sure do fucking better than that; you have to be on crack to do a linear transition up 20 on one and down 20 on the other and not have their sum equal 20 at every step of it
    C) fuckit, it only moves by 1 pixel; it can just go right ahead and shake like it has the DTs.
    ...hmm...

• Considered Harmful

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

We all know Apple doesn't care about backwards compatibility. "Oh, that doesn't work now. Time to buy a new machine! We have a $1K phone for you..."

While Android crams compatibility so far down your throat that you can't help but make an app compatible with Android 2.0.

• @anotherusername ...oh wow, I just noticed that Firefox doesn't even trigger a re-layout when I resize the window sometimes... :wtf: clearly, I'm pushing the edges of what can (should?) be done with CSS. But ultimately I'm pretty pleased with the way it works... and really it doesn't even take that long to load, considering...

File size of HTML document: 997,738
    Size of movie list array-of-objects literal: 973,690*
    Number of items in movies array, after de-dup: 779*
    CSS rules (after breaking up the long ones that broke Chrome): 8,779
    innerText.length of style element (generated by script): 873,689
    outerHTML.length of body element before onLoad event script runs: 79
    outerHTML.length of body element after onLoad event script runs: 2,173,585
    outerHTML.length of html element after whole page is loaded: 4,043,573

*I have several dozen to add to it still, probably.

@anotherusername ...oh wow, I just noticed that Firefox doesn't even trigger a re-layout when I resize the window sometimes... :wtf: clearly, I'm pushing the edges of what can (should?) be done with CSS. But ultimately I'm pretty pleased with the way it works... and really it doesn't even take that long to load, considering...

:wtf: are you trying to do?

@dreikin said in WTF Bites:

@anotherusername ...oh wow, I just noticed that Firefox doesn't even trigger a re-layout when I resize the window sometimes... :wtf: clearly, I'm pushing the edges of what can (should?) be done with CSS. But ultimately I'm pretty pleased with the way it works... and really it doesn't even take that long to load, considering...

:wtf: are you trying to do?

Single page App for a movie database.

a CSS rule that had 2201 selectors

Either you're giving every pixel its own style, or you could perhaps find a way to express yourself more briefly.

You didn't try to attach a Google Pixel C over ADB to Windows lately, did you?

Apple Desktop Bus?

No I haven't used it for anything since 1998 or so, and then it was only keyboards and mice.