WTF Bites

• Colleague was reassigned to a different project, because they are 3 months late. For the first week, they were not able to assign him any work. The other teammates are not doing much more. Apparently, they don't know with what they are 3 months late…

• @bulb said in WTF Bites:

Colleague was reassigned to a different project, because they are 3 months late. For the first week, they were not able to assign him any work. The other teammates are not doing much more. Apparently, they don't know with what they are 3 months late…

That's not atypical. I've seen projects that were hopelessly behind, but the developers were grinding their gears doing refactors and other non-functional stuff, or just drinking coffee.

Usually that indicates a slog in requirements gathering.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

0_1502445928071_94c41eed-35e2-4f66-998a-8448e373691a-image.png

The message is like 1k characters long. Why. Just... why. How fucking insane does your messaging system have to be that it breaks when the message is over ~1k characters.

The message text field is part of the primary key.

@raceprouk said in WTF Bites:

so there's nothing to stop you splitting the message into chunks.

Even if that asinine solution was in any way acceptable for the end user, the message doesn't even tell you how big the chunks should be.

500 or so characters , in the style of IRC.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Usually that indicates a slog in requirements gathering.

Seen that where the people designing the architecture decided that they didn't need to produce a useful thing at all until the end of the project, despite the fact that there were lots of developers who wanted to actually get on and implement and integrate the system. The architects produced interim documents, sure, but none of them were any use at all; you can't implement an abstract thesis on philosophical principles for distributed systems architecture. It took the project management ages to realise just how thoroughly stuffed they were; they just couldn't believe that the architects would be that stubbornly devoted to not letting things out of their clutches.

I travelled a lot for that project, and achieved very little other than getting a million airmiles.

• @raceprouk said in WTF Bites:

there's nothing to stop you splitting the message into chunks

But what's there to stop it from doing that all by itself -- splitting it while sending and then reassembling the message on the receiving end?

• FoxDev

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

But what's there to stop it from doing that all by itself -- splitting it while sending and then reassembling the message on the receiving end?

Lazy-ass devs?

• @maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

@maciejasjmj Discord's limit is 2000 characters, and Slack's probably the same.

Really, if you're sending a message that long, that's what email is for.

Well, I assumed it's a technical limitation, because you'd have to be downright insane to arbitrarily limit how talkative people can be. And at the very least Slack allows you to paste long messages as code snippets or similar. No such luck in Skype.

And really, e-mail? Sure, I'll save that snippet to a file and mail it instead of just pasting it in the context of the current conversation! Why not send a printout stapled to a wooden table by FedEx while we're at it.

What's IRC's limit? 200? 100? 7?

• :belt_onion:

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

Presumably the same thing that stops you from sending such a large message - it's by design.

@ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

Well, I assumed it's a technical limitation, because you'd have to be downright insane to arbitrarily limit how talkative people can be. And at the very least Slack allows you to paste long messages as code snippets or similar. No such luck in Skype.

And really, e-mail? Sure, I'll save that snippet to a file and mail it instead of just pasting it in the context of the current conversation! Why not send a printout stapled to a wooden table by FedEx while we're at it.

512 bytes.

• Garbage Person

@arantor said in WTF Bites:

In general references are hard and solely misunderstood by the PHP community.

I'm pretty sure references are also misunderstood outside of the PHP community.

• @boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

My daughter normally has an external monitor plugged into her laptop. She's currently away from her normal spot, so no external monitor. Windows 10 is apparently too retarded to notice that the monitor isn't there any more so it was opening programs off screen, which she didn't know how to fix, because why would this even occur to you to be the problem?

Sometimes minimizing and restoring the window (from the taskbar) works to get it onto the current monitor. If that doesn't work, moving it (alt+space,m with that window focused) can bring it back over.

• @anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

[Weather Underground]

Is it confusing the weather service with the militant leftist activist organization?

Lazy-ass devs?

lazy ass-devs are better.

• @darkmatter

😃

I love that comic.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Doesn't matter much, as every modern client now has the capability to break it up on the way out the door anyway. Before that was true, the most common client for Windows had a scripting language built in, and everyone wrote their own (copied a template and customized).

• @maciejasjmj said in WTF Bites:

Well, I assumed it's a technical limitation, because you'd have to be downright insane to arbitrarily limit how talkative people can be.

Twitter became a $2.5 billion company pretty much just by limiting how much you can write, so that premise is demonstrably wrong.

Another example: all image hosting sites today serve videos instead of gifs, but they still limit them to somewhere between 15 seconds and 1 minute, as well as no audio track.

• FoxDev

@anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

Twitter became a $2.5 billion company pretty much just by limiting how much you can write, so that premise is demonstrably wrong.

And the reason it's 140 characters specifically is it was conceived as an SMS service, and that's the standard message length.

And the reason it's 140 characters specifically is it was conceived as an SMS service, and that's the standard message length.

Which meant that the barrier to entry costed less than it would to have had a mobile data connection with a mobile(ish) device at the time.

• 0_1502585493917_bdf90451-ff71-48cc-a2ba-30e5a455cf70-image.png
    Yes, Google, people who want a "bug tracker" are obviously talking about finding small insects.

I almost doubted you, but then I saw you had that sign next to the translation that indicates that it can't be wrong.

0_1502585493917_bdf90451-ff71-48cc-a2ba-30e5a455cf70-image.png
    Yes, Google, people who want a "bug tracker" are obviously talking about finding small insects.

I almost doubted you, but then I saw you had that sign next to the translation that indicates that it can't be wrong.

It's not wrong...

• @anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

The sign next to the translation means "verified by a community member [that is probably not a person who knows that bug trackers exist]"

• area_can

Did you mean: el Discourse

:pendant:

The article also explains that Twitter’s 140 character limit comes from SMS text messaging’s 160 character limit. Twitter reserves 20 characters for a unique user address and leaves the rest (140) for the tweet.

You're translating from the wrong language...

0_1502619423537_e24d399c-9dc0-490b-a049-7d57339e4dd9-image.png

• BINNED

@yamikuronue said in WTF Bites:

Doesn't matter much, as every modern client now has the capability to break it up on the way out the door anyway.

Except for Pidgin, which some people I know keep on insisting on using. :angry:

ETA: It also shows the entire message on your end so if it got cut, you don't know where it got cut, so any large copypasta is then followed by someone else repeating the last fragment so the person knows where it got cut and can re-send it... it's highly annoying.

• @onyx said in WTF Bites:

Pidgin

:welltherestheproblem.pptx:

• BINNED

@izzion said in WTF Bites:

@onyx said in WTF Bites:

Pidgin

:welltherestheproblem.pptx:

It's not a horrible application to connect to multiple chat networks... well, it wasn't, until most of them died and only bits of XMPP standard (such as it is) are still being used by Google and Facebook, so now it's a bit crippled even there.

It was pretty good for ICQ, MSN and the like back in the day at least. But its IRC support was always pretty shit.

• ♿ (Parody)

@darkmatter said in WTF Bites:

Lazy-ass devs?

lazy ass-devs are better.

0_1502643067976_24a12249-583b-422a-aedf-e7db018d395a-image.png

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

The message text field is part of the primary key.

Primary key of what?

Skype does have a database and works, or at least used to work, by synchronizing them. But that is a completely different tool from Skype for Business. Skype for Business (formerly Office Communicator, formerly Lync) is a pretty dumb SIP/SIMPLE client. It does not have any feature that would suggest it has a database at all.

• In @homobalkanus keeps getting pissed off by Opera news:
    So obviously I'm :doing_it_wrong: by having folders in the bookmark bar because nobody tests that shit. If you want to delete a bookmark in a folder that is behind that double arrow (henceforth know as the bug-pointer) you crash the browser. HOW!!! How does deleting a bookmark manage to crash the whole browser?

Also, deleting a bookmark behind the bug-pointer does a weird window redraw. And since I'm already bitching, is it really such an unusual use-case to have nested folders that there is no way to directly create on?

• 0_1502711443564_8c4f5371-ced6-498b-96f3-aa17767c1ec4-image.png

Really, Word? That's just some placeholder text. Fine, whatever.

0_1502711522184_0a462b1a-1c56-434f-8e2a-b96087d977d9-image.png

FFFFUUUUU-

• 🚽 Regular

@anonymous234

I got a :wtf: when liking yours.

NodeBB. Quality web-scale software for [Your Connection was Lost]

0_1502712603260_9077892a-6acd-4961-a210-fc7954e98577-image.png

• @cursorkeys Could've been a simultaneous downvote that was later removed.

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

It does not have any feature that would suggest it has a database at all.

According to some of the professors round here, it also lacks anything that remotely approaches usability, especially once you're doing a multiway multi-organisation call. They greatly prefer (or at least used to; I've not asked them recently) standard Skype as being a lot less troublesome.

• @bulb
    The database for a SfB setup is server-side. But yes, the client is largely a softphone / IM client.

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

According to some of the professors round here, [SfB] also lacks anything that remotely approaches usability, especially once you're doing a multiway multi-organisation call.

Getting the multi-organization setup right on a SfB server can be a pretty severe pain, true. Once you find the right TechNet article which has the necessary firewall port openings and actually get the SfB Edge server configured to allow for remote federation, everything "just works" for the end users... the problem is just that initial server side setup.

So, basically, SfB is a way to let your business run their own Skype deployment... if they set it up as well as Microsoft, then it works for the users. Otherwise, the users just all switch to GoToMeeting and their cell phones, and nobody at the business will ever consider Skype again. :facepalm:

Um, thanks, Gmail? What, did someone send me a hacked email message that broke you or something?

0_1502728572685_Screenshot_20170814-093306.png

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

This is getting fucking rediculous.

Bitbucket keeps saying I need a CAPTCHA. Only, instead of telling me when I try to log in via the web gui, it sends that back to my git client as an authentication error (which causes Kraken to forget my password because it must be wrong, right?). I then have to go to the interface where inevitably I'm still logged in. So I have to log out. Then, if I click "didn't mean to? Log in Again", it'll fuck it up; I have to go to the home page and click "Log In" from there. I then enter my password, and then am prompted with a captcha and have to enter my password again. Then I go back to Kraken and retry the push, where I'm prompted for my password a third time.

• @yamikuronue
    Sounds like a great business opportunity to write a middleware site that totally won't cache your passwords and use them for evil can help cut down on the bullshit.

• Every time this guy runs a system update, Dwarf Fortress starts. It has finally ascended and became alive.

@cartman82 said in WTF Bites:

Every time this guy runs a system update, Dwarf Fortress starts. It has finally ascended and became alive.

Another example of the Unix philosophy leaking. Just call statvfs. That being said, I understand the df source code is more than that and you want to cover all the edge cases. But for fuck's sake, there must be a better way. If you're being installed from a Debian repository and you know it's available as part of coreutils, call /bin/df if you have to just to become bulletproof.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

It does not have any feature that would suggest it has a database at all.

According to some of the professors round here, it also lacks anything that remotely approaches usability, especially once you're doing a multiway multi-organisation call. They greatly prefer (or at least used to; I've not asked them recently) standard Skype as being a lot less troublesome.

Group calls and chats are utterly broken in Skype for Business indeed. I haven't tried calls recently, but the chats have such cool features like kicking the people because they are offline…

@izzion said in WTF Bites:

So, basically, SfB is a way to let your business run their own Skype deployment...

No, it isn't. Skype for Business is a rename of the Office Communicator, an old, crappy SIP/SIMPLE client and server. Skype is a completely separate program they purchased that used custom peer-to-peer synchronization protocol originally developed for Kazaa (and you could see it is a synchronization protocol, because when you connected from a new device, old messages got synchronized as your contacts came online!) and being ported to something running on Azure, but probably still not exactly SIP.

And while SIP/SIMPLE is supposed to be standard, Skype for Business was always crappy and the corresponding server was always subtly incompatible.

• @cartman82 said in WTF Bites:

Every time this guy runs a system update, Dwarf Fortress starts. It has finally ascended and became alive.

It explicitly says "do not put df from Dwarf Fortress in your $PATH" in the documentation.

It explicitly says "do not put df from Dwarf Fortress in your $PATH" in the documentation.

TBH I think it would be fine at the end, but then people would complain that trying to start df just lists some stats about their free disk space...

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

TBH I think it would be fine at the end, but then people would complain that trying to start df just lists some stats about their free disk space...

Besides, reading the documentation is a :barrier: to dwarves, so.

• @ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

TRWTF is someone puts a videogame shortcut in their PATH. They can't bear to wait for the GUI icon to show up or to find the right location on HDD. Once the urge strikes, they NEED THE DWARVES NOW, INSTANTLY, FROM ANYWHERE ON THEIR COMPUTER.

• 🚽 Regular

TRWTF is someone puts a videogame shortcut in their PATH. They can't bear to wait for the GUI icon to show up or to find the right location on HDD. Once the urge strikes, they NEED THE DWARVES NOW, INSTANTLY, FROM ANYWHERE ON THEIR COMPUTER.

It's funny because you're talking about GUI while also talking about people who play Dwarf Fortress.

@heterodox said in WTF Bites:

If you're being installed from a Debian repository and you know it's available as part of coreutils, call /bin/df if you have to just to become bulletproof.

What about those people who insist that Dwarf Fortress should be installed so that it's main program is in /bin? 😈

• area_can

TIL Mac OS doesn't let you mute or quiet down individual applications

Fucking desktop Linux has this feature

• @bb36e said in WTF Bites:

TIL Mac OS doesn't let you mute or quiet down individual applications

Fucking desktop Linux has this feature

Windows still doesn't have the ability to switch individual applications to a different default audio device. It has to be done by each application.

Desktop Linux has the best audio API of any OS, and that's pretty amazing considering it has at least 3 incompatible audio APIs.

• @ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

Desktop Linux has the best audio API of any OS, and that's pretty amazing considering it has at least 3 incompatible audio APIs.

But then you have to use some complicated CLI shit to switch output, then reboot to apply.

OS coded by grey beard with their head stuck in the 70's
    </blakeyrant>