WTF Bites

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@cartman82 said in WTF Bites:

PHP stdlib is pretty robust compared to js

Compared to JS? Yes.

But is it sufficiently self-explanatory and easy-to-use? I don't think so...

• area_can

@raceprouk said in WTF Bites:

@jarry Who the fuck runs an AMA on GitHub‽

hacker.io

• I received a critical comment on a code review about having two lines of whitespace in a row. I believe my coworkers would prefer to write code at the approximate density of an old greek philosopher.

• Java Dev

opens laptop
    "Windows is rebooting"
    ⏳
    "Working with updates."
    ⏳
    gets to login screen
    laptop immediatley goes into sleep mode
    :wtf:

• ♿ (Parody)

@fwd said in WTF Bites:

I received a critical comment on a code review about having two lines of whitespace in a row. I believe my coworkers would prefer to write code at the approximate density of an old greek philosopher.

Follow up question: Do you use keyboard navigation or do you use the mouse to position your cursor for typing?

• @asdf said in WTF Bites:

It's also interesting that in the PHP world, which has the same problems, the common approach is using a large framework, not micro-modules.

PHP doesn't have the need to invent one liner modules to solve problems like 'is positive' because its type system isn't broken to the point where $x > 0 may or may not work.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

@fwd said in WTF Bites:

I received a critical comment on a code review about having two lines of whitespace in a row. I believe my coworkers would prefer to write code at the approximate density of an old greek philosopher.

Follow up question: Do you use keyboard navigation or do you use the mouse to position your cursor for typing?

Mouse for coarse navigation, keyboard to get the rest of the way.

• @cartman82 said in WTF Bites:

Job candidate gave us read access to his current employer's codebase (so we can see example of his code). Good to know if we hire him and our competitors want to see what we are up to, this guy is there for them.

0_1500031218329_873f909f-b29b-4dbb-970f-e0769c6813c6-image.png

Whelp, I was just told we have hired this guy as an outside consultant, and to give him access to several of our repos.

Looking forward to finding our code on like the Chinese black market or something...

• Java Dev

@cartman82 said in WTF Bites:

Whelp, I was just told we have hired this guy as an outside consultant, and to give him access to several of our repos.
    Looking forward to finding our code on like the Chinese black market or something...

"He may have have given out access to his previous employer's codebase, but he would NEVER give anyone else access to ours."

What is it with that kind of moronic attitude which makes people think that someone with a track record of $bad_thing wouldn't do $bad_thing when it's in their organization?

• I attempted to run the windows updates on my laptop before leaving for a trip (because otherwise you know that the updates will run at the most inopportune time, like when you're supposed to put away your electronics for landing or something).

Started the updates in the evening, and was greeted by the following in the morning:
    0_1500064980591_at_6h_ago_.png

Um, yeah, 6h ago, when I told you to update, would indeed have been a convenient time for me.

• :belt_onion:

🤦♂ How dare Windows restart without asking me?

🙅♂ Why does Windows wait for my confirmation before restarting?!

Can't win, man. :P

• area_can

@atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

What is it with that kind of moronic attitude which makes people think that someone with a track record of $bad_thing wouldn't do $bad_thing when it's in their organization?

same thing with cheating.

• Dupa

@bb36e said in WTF Bites:

@atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

same thing with cheating.

• Garbage Person

0_1500155342994_Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 2.44.09 PM.png

1. How was it that I "saved" $42?
    2. You only cover X-rays for half the mouth?

@greybeard said in WTF Bites:

0_1500155342994_Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 2.44.09 PM.png

1. How was it that I "saved" $42?
    2. You only cover X-rays for half the mouth?

Going by the remark at the bottom of the second one, it looks like they double billed you.

@swayde said in WTF Bites:

http://i.imgur.com/mpEWW0g.gifv

I agree, WTF is she laying on?

• @cvi said in WTF Bites:

put away your electronics for landing

The laptop could still be on, working on updates or restarting or whatever, while in your bag while the plane lands; it doesn't have to be totally off. If you can, turn off or disable the wifi card, though. They get concerned about the radio interfering with official communication to the tower and other planes. (I'm a little confused about why they don't bother while you're on the ground or in the middle of your flight. I think it's mostly more security theater instead of actual security.)

• @djls45 said in WTF Bites:

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

The laptop could still be on, working on updates or restarting or whatever, while in your bag while the plane lands; it doesn't have to be totally off. If you can, turn off or disable the wifi card, though. They get concerned about the radio interfering with official communication to the tower and other planes. (I'm a little confused about why they don't bother while you're on the ground or in the middle of your flight. I think it's mostly more security theater instead of actual security.)

Does that mean Kellyanne Conway can't take photos when the plane is landing?

• :belt_onion:

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

They get concerned about the radio interfering with official communication to the tower and other planes.

:rolleyes: Yeah, cause that can happen...

Freakin security theater idiots

• @heterodox said in WTF Bites:

🤦♂ How dare Windows restart without asking me?

🙅♂ Why does Windows wait for my confirmation before restarting?!

Can't win, man. :P

I think there should be one request for confirmation. If you manually start the updates, it should automatically restart so that everything is done when you come back to the computer. If the updates started automatically, it should ask for your permission before it restarts, just in case you were working on something and need it to wait a bit. Apparently, though, they got those backwards, so manual updates require handholding to completion, but auto updates can cut you off in the middle of a project.

• @ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

Does the camera require a radio in order to work?

• @swayde said in WTF Bites:

I've heard of dancing on tables, but not while also holding the world on your back.

• @djls45 said in WTF Bites:

@ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

:whoosh:

Here is a picture of some cameras:

• @ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

@ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

:whoosh:

Here is a picture of some cameras:

Microwaves can wipe photographic film, but I don't see how they could really be considered cameras. The CRT TV and monitor at the bottom of the screen would be closer, because they can display an image, but that's not the same as recording one. Why would you call them cameras?

*Googles "Kellyanne Conway microwaves"*

Oooooooh. She said something about "microwaves that turn into cameras" to make a point about the ability to spy through Internet-connected smart devices. (And, hey, maybe there are actually cameras covertly hidden in certain microwaves by intelligence agencies.)

(And, hey, maybe there are actually cameras covertly hidden in certain microwaves by intelligence agencies.)

There used to be hidden cameras in copy machines. Then they just flat out shipped them with hard drives to store every scan that was taken and skipped the middleman.

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

Effects of radio interference on control systems in various scenarios:

• On the ground: "Hello everybody, would whoever has the piece of cheap, unshielded equipment please turn it off before we call the cops?"
    • In the air: "Hello everybody, would whoever has the piece of cheap, unshielded equipment please turn it off before the air marshal gives you a personalized lesson in flying etiquette?"
    • On landing/take-off: "Oh shit we're—"

@dreikin said in WTF Bites:

If adjusting flaps or the rudders is no being controlled by 2.4 GHz radio equipment... :vomit:

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

If adjusting flaps or the rudders is no being controlled by 2.4 GHz radio equipment... :vomit:

I'm pretty sure it's all by wire still. I was thinking more worst-case scenario the plane's wiring has a shielding problem somewhere that's bad enough that a crap piece of equipment leaking too much could interfere with signalling, preventing the control signals from going through intact.

• @dreikin Yeah, but how many of those were problems with radio signal interference?
    And if a radio signal could interfere with the control wiring that badly, wouldn't the cockpit radio itself be sufficient?

I'm pretty sure it's all by wire still. I was thinking more worst-case scenario the plane's wiring has a shielding problem somewhere that's bad enough that a crap piece of equipment leaking too much could interfere with signalling, preventing the control signals from going through intact.

Yeah, you got bigger problems than tinny cell and wifi signals at that point...

@dreikin Yeah, but how many of those were problems with radio signal interference?

I don't think any of the depicted examples were. I just included them for dramatic illustration.

And if a radio signal could interfere with the control wiring that badly, wouldn't the cockpit radio itself be sufficient?

Yeah, you got bigger problems than tinny cell and wifi signals at that point...

One would think, but...

But while definite proof may be lacking, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that the risks should be taken seriously. A report summarising 50 cases of safety issues thought to have been caused by personal electronic devices, was published in January this year. These were compiled from the US Aviation Safety Reporting System, a database maintained by Nasa, to which crew members can anonymously submit reports of safety problems. One such case was summarised as follows: "First Officer reports compass system malfunctions during initial climb. When passengers are asked to verify that all electronic devices are turned off the compass system returns to normal.”

A 2006 analysis of the database identified 125 reports of interference from electronic gadgets, of which 77 were defined as "highly correlated". In one incident a 30-degree error in navigation equipment was immediately corrected when a passenger turned off a portable DVD player. This problem reoccurred when the device was switched back on. Fight crew have reported a number of similar cases in which they have watched readings on navigations systems change apparently in response to passengers being asked to turn specific devices on and off. In another report, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) identified 75 separate incidents of possible electronic interference that pilots believe were linked to mobile phones and other electronic devices between 2003 and 2009.

(Emphasis added.)

30-degree error in navigation

a portable DVD player

Clearly someone wasn't abiding FCC regulations...

Also, I love all the indirect language in that article. "Potentially" "Could" "If they are" "potentially" "anecdotal evidence" "apparently" "possible" .

Also, the article mentions a group of "experts" supposedly set up to study this exact thing. It's been four years, anyone see their results yet?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I've seen that sort of act at a chinese circus. It's pretty impressive, especially when there are two performers and they are “juggling” the table back and forth between them.

• Yet another M$ annoyance that's not getting fixed:

Yet another M$ annoyance that's not getting fixed:

It also tends to do weird stuff when I remote desktop into my machine? Jebus, Microsoft!

• @Dreikin @djls45 @Tsaukpaetra this is probably coming fourth- or fifthhand, but I've heard that about the only problem that it actually causes is some noise in the analog audio in their headphones. Have you ever set your cellphone close enough to a speaker that it picked up noise right as the phone began receiving an incoming call? Basically that.

Also there's another reason why you're supposed to put cellular devices in airplane mode. From that altitude and moving at that speed, it causes an unusual amount of load on the network as it can faintly see tons of towers and constantly tries to reconnect to the strongest signal while it's moving hundreds of miles per hour. Each time your phone moves from one cell to another, the network must adapt, and it simply isn't designed to handle devices moving that fast.

• area_can

@dreikin omg wtf I was wondering why this page was 50+MB

@bb36e said in WTF Bites:

@dreikin omg wtf I was wondering why this page was 50+MB

Someone embedded discourse a few times? 🚎 🚋

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Someone embedded discourse a few times?

Wouldn't take more than once...

• @dreikin said in WTF Bites:

(Emphasis added.)

Then they need to properly shield their shit. Period. You simply cannot rely on every moron on every plane to remember how to properly turn their device off.

@rhywden said in WTF Bites:

(Emphasis added.)

Then they need to properly shield their shit. Period. You simply cannot rely on every moron on every plane to remember how to properly turn their device off.

Either that, or...

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2016-title47-vol1/xml/CFR-2016-title47-vol1-sec15-5.xml

that interference must be accepted that may be caused by the operation of an authorized radio station, by another intentional or unintentional radiator, by industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) equipment, or by an incidental radiator.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

I agree, WTF is she laying on?

Looks like a sex lounge.

• YouTube is totally bugging out right now.

Subscription feed is a blank page:
    0_1500258932077_a8d380ee-7922-4f19-b932-1357c22206bb-image.png

Channel pages don't load:
    0_1500258965807_063ca594-3e7a-4f15-ad54-a45373d0a1c2-image.png
    0_1500258993137_7d929a79-d51b-4e8f-80c3-96c91073e982-image.png

Although right before I was about to submit this, they fixed it. Still really weird.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@rhywden said in WTF Bites:

You simply cannot rely on every moron on every plane to remember how to properly turn their device off.

That's actually how you know that it isn't critical: if it was, they wouldn't be letting you take those devices on the plane at all (compare with mercury thermometers, which are utterly forbidden). I believe the actual reason they want things off during take-off and landing is so that you'll be paying attention if they have to evacuate, and that's the sort of thing that is most likely to occur during take-off or landing. But it's the sort of thing that they can't quite get away with saying, no matter how true it is.

And I like that people have to shut up on planes. (Also, anyone doing a trans-oceanic flight will be out of range for normal cell connectivity.)

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

And I like that people have to shut up on planes.

That probably plays a part as well, at least on long flights. The attendants are already quite adamant that you keep your blind down and don't make too much noise, and eat at the same time as everyone, that's all part of their "crowd management" (dunno if there is a proper term for that). I'm sure that having people turn off their phones means one less source of obnoxious beeps and people getting signal for half-a-second and yelling into their phone and other stupid things. Everything to keep you nicely and silently seated.

@remi said in WTF Bites:

Everything to keep you nicely and silently sedated.

FTFY

• ♿ (Parody)

STOP GODDAMN USING MOTHERFUCKING TEMP AS A SUBQUERY ALIAS

• kills Dumbledore

@boomzilla nothing on tech lasts anywhere near as long as a structure named TEMP or a line of code commented as // temporary workaround TODO: fix this