• @jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

@twelvebaud said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

Forsooth

Zounds! Gadzooks!

Prithee?

Marry, nuncle

Unless we're talking about your naunt, that sounds kinda illegal.

• @twelvebaud said in WTF Bites:

Prithee?

This is a contraction of "(I) pray thee."

Beseech

• @jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

Marry

As an exclamation, this is an alternate spelling of Mary (the Virgin).

nuncle

This is a contraction of "mine uncle."

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

naunt

contraction of "mine aunt"

Betimes, thither, and withal.

• @blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

Google: Software engineering GODS! Bow before these titans of computers!

0_1502985259076_Untitled.png

Then try clearing your cookies! I guess.

Could this be due to browser extensions?

• Considered Harmful

WTF, Confluence? If you can't keep track of a few files in a zip file, how will you keep track of a few tens of thousands of pages?

The following error(s) occurred:

• The zip file id not contain an entry 'exportDescriptor.properties'. It contained: entities.xml, plugin-data/com.atlassian.activeobjects.confluence.spi/activeObjectsBackupRestoreProvider.pdata, exportDescriptor.properties, attachments/2064422/11338167/1

• @djls45 said in WTF Bites:

Could this be due to browser extensions?

I suppose it could be, but in this case it was due to Google's fucked-up broken-ass code.

• Clicking buttons you don't understand can destroy your work, who'd have thought?

I was playing with the source control option [in VS Code], seeing how it wanted to stage FIVE THOUSAND FILES I clicked discard... AND IT DELETED ALL MY FILES!

(Bonus: "I can't even find them in the Recycle Bin! I didn't even think that was possible on Windows!")

Edit: Google's cache has a more complete copy of the entire issue: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fmicrosoft%2Fvscode%2Fissues%2F32405

• Java Dev

@dcoder Trying to figure what's the bigger WTF: VSCode or the guy with no backups of his 5k file codebase.

• @atazhaia
    Well, was it technically a code base yet, since he hadn't committed it because 5k was too many files? 🤔

• We live in a future where we have voice assistant chatbots in our pockets developed by $170 billion companies

... but some things just never change
    http://i.imgur.com/Iidostj.png

• @dcoder I was about to post exactly that with the caption:

"New developer learns about Git".

super-geek waving arms: "don't hit the wrong buttons!!!! OMG don't hit the wrong buttons!!!!! All the wrong button hitting!!!!!!!!"

Literally everybody in the universe who is sane: "How about maybe not putting invisible landmines in software?"

We already have 3 posts of user-blaming, I look forward to the 3,000 new ones coming. Those dummy users, right!

• @blakeyrat Obligatory:
    https://i.imgur.com/j9o6nUw.jpg

Yes, VS Code definitely shouldn't delete files with a vague word like "discard". I'd probably have fallen for that one too.

It's funny how in one hand you have companies paying UX experts to spend hundreds of hours figuring out if they should move a button their an app from the left side of the screen to the right side to reduce user confusion, and on the other hand you have developers going "pfft, what idiot doesn't know the git commands by heart anyway".

It's also true that this guy is an idiot for accumulating 5000 files (how did he even manage that?!) over 3 months with absolutely zero backups. But two wrongs don't make a right.

• @anonymous234 so it guesses the number exactly in the middle?

Psh. That isn't a "guess"; it was obviously going for a binary search.

• @anonymous234 Can I get Google Assistant on my dhromebook? It's always seemed weird to me that phones get that kind of stuff but officially-branded laptops don't.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@ben_lubar said in WTF Bites:

@anonymous234 Can I get Google Assistant on my dhromebook? It's always seemed weird to me that phones get that kind of stuff but officially-branded laptops don't.

Sure. Go to Google.com and click the microphone icon. Assuming you have a mic of course.

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

@anonymous234 Can I get Google Assistant on my dhromebook? It's always seemed weird to me that phones get that kind of stuff but officially-branded laptops don't.

Sure. Go to Google.com and click the microphone icon. Assuming you have a mic of course.

I can't have a conversation with that.

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

I can't have a conversation with that.

You're simply not trying hard enough!

• @blakeyrat There is truth in that argument. I have read the previous threads here about UX and git, and I do not want to rehash the same arguments for the Nth time, because the UX is too often neglected and even user-hostile in some applications.

However, if you see this dialog:

0_1503117916006_26770252-addb-461e-b567-88929a585dbe-image.png

and click through it without even thinking, I don't think it's the software's fault for doing what you asked it to do, after you have confirmed your intent.

• :belt_onion:

@dcoder said in WTF Bites:

@blakeyrat There is truth in that argument. I have read the previous threads here about UX and git, and I do not want to rehash the same arguments for the Nth time, because the UX is too often neglected and even user-hostile in some applications.

and click through it without even thinking, I don't think it's the software's fault for doing what you asked it to do, after you have confirmed your intent.

YOU DELETED MY WORK

FUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOU

• @dcoder Is there a technical reason the files were deleted outright instead of being put into the recycle bin?

• @blakeyrat It looks like VSCode doesn't delete anything itself, it simply tells git to clean up, and git does not use the Recycle Bin by default (though you can configure it to do so, with some shell scriptsobscure incantations so loved by git).

Edit: Oh, now I get it. A Windows dev could reasonably expect to find their files in the Recycle Bin after discarding them, yes. I didn't think of that earlier since I don't use the bin myself so I don't have the habit of looking at it for any recoverables.

could reasonably expect to find their files in the Recycle Bin after discarding them, yes.

Not really. That's not how any IDE I've worked with does things. Including Visual Studio...

Not to mention the all-caps "THIS IS IRREVERSIBLE"

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

Not to mention the all-caps "THIS IS IRREVERSIBLE"

Just like my raincoat then…

Clicking buttons you don't understand can destroy your work, who'd have thought?

Since they've deleted the thread, for posterity:

0_1503136672956_screencapture-webcache-googleusercontent-search-1503136438196.png

• @pjh Google has a more recent cached version, with VSCode devs weighing in:

Google has a more recent cached version

That was google cache.. :wtf:

• Considered Harmful

Edit: Oh, now I get it. A Windows dev could reasonably expect to find their files in the Recycle Bin after discarding them, yes.

Obviously he needs to look in http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:C:\Desktop\Recycle\ Bin

• @anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

It's also true that this guy is an idiot for accumulating 5000 files

We should consider that VSCode became self-aware - and just protected the world from a monstrosity worse than git...

• 0_1503155626248_c9e7973e-69e3-4271-b541-5500c2f4ebd7-image.png

So this guy saw a scary dialogue and clicked through anyway?

Also I'm not sure what would've happened if this guy had had a hard drive failure.

• @lb_ said in WTF Bites:

Also I'm not sure what would've happened if this guy had had a hard drive failure.

...9 months later, after accumulating another 15,000 files but still with no backups.

Hopefully he'd give up on computers forever.

• @dcoder said in WTF Bites:

@blakeyrat There is truth in that argument. I have read the previous threads here about UX and git, and I do not want to rehash the same arguments for the Nth time, because the UX is too often neglected and even user-hostile in some applications.

If I saw that dialog, I'd think that it meant changes I've made in Visual Studio Code would be discarded. Not the files themselves, which I hadn't changed since installing VSCode.

At a bare minimum, the scary warning should definitely mention something like "3681 files will be PERMANENTLY DELETED", if that's what it was gonna do.

• @anotherusername It's very simple.

Very simple.

Did the user lose data while using your application? Yes.

Did the user intend to lose that data? No.

That is a bug in your application. Fix it. Nothing else matters.

• area_can

@blakeyrat I emptied my recycle bin to free up space on my computer and lost 3 months of work!!

FUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOUFUCK YOU

• @anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

At a bare minimum, the scary warning should definitely mention something like "3681 files will be PERMANENTLY DELETED", if that's what it was gonna do.

Which it now does.

• FoxDev

Which it now does.

And the commit itself:

With the most fantastic commit message ever 😒

• Dupa

@anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

@lb_ said in WTF Bites:

...9 months later, after accumulating another 15,000 files but still with no backups.

Hopefully he'd give up on computers forever.

Or write a scornful letter to Western Digital and start over.

@raceprouk said in WTF Bites:

Which it now does.

And the commit itself:

What commit message?

• @dcoder said in WTF Bites:

I'm not that terribly surprised by his actions, and I can sympathize with him that this is a confusing confirmation dialog. I think the breakdown of communication is what exactly is entailed within the word "changes".

Source control considers having unindexed files in the repo folder to be a "change". Keeping that "change" means incorporating those files into the repository, whereas discarding it means removing them.

On the other hand, a user not that familiar with source control would expect "change" to mean alterations done to the contents of the file, just like every other file editor on their system.

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

@raceprouk said in WTF Bites:

Which it now does.

And the commit itself:

What commit message?

"fixes #32459", I guess.

• FoxDev

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

What commit message?

Exactly.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

I was watching a Jimmy Diresta video today that is him making some promo thing for a company called Sprayground. I go to look them up to see what they are and their website is intentionally down on Saturdays...for some reason. :wtf: ???

TAKE A DAY FOR REST & RELAXATION...
    6 DAYS WE WORK, BUT ON THE 7TH WE CHILL.
    OUR STORE WILL REOPEN ON
    SUNDAY AT 12:30AM EST

www.sprayground.com

Check it out for yourself. That's retarded and so is paying for a video that will launch on Saturday while your site is down.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@polygeekery said in WTF Bites:

I was watching a Jimmy Diresta video today that is him making some promo thing for a company called Sprayground. I go to look them up to see what they are and their website is intentionally down on Saturdays...for some reason. :wtf: ???

OUR STORE WILL REOPEN ON

www.sprayground.com

Check it out for yourself. That's retarded and so is paying for a video that will launch on Saturday while your site is down.

Not if you want to advertise your devoutness.

@blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

Did the user intend to lose that data? No.

Clearly, by the response to the "THIS WILL DELETE YOUR FILES" dialog, they did intend to lose that data.

Unless you're suggesting the program become psychic...

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@dreikin said in WTF Bites:

OUR STORE WILL REOPEN ON

www.sprayground.com

So they are Jews?

• FoxDev

@sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

Clearly, by the response to the "THIS WILL DELETE YOUR FILES" dialog, they did intend to lose that data.

Except the dialog didn't say files would be deleted.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

OUR STORE WILL REOPEN ON

www.sprayground.com

So they are Jews?

Or Seventh-day Adventists. We've had some billboards of theirs around here talking about how having the Sabbath on Sunday is a trick of the devil (more or less).

• @sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

The dialog didn't say it would delete files.

Even if it would delete files, the OS has a built-in feature to help users recover files which wasn't used, apparently because the creators of Git and/or VS Code were purely utter assholes who hate their users.

• @polygeekery said in WTF Bites:

their website is intentionally down on Saturdays...for some reason. :wtf: ???

The owner(s) is(are) probably either Jewish or Seventh-Day Adventist. I'd guess probably Jewish, though, because I haven't heard of SDAs doing this, but it is fairly common for Jewish-owned websites.

Edit:

OUR STORE WILL REOPEN ON

Although, if it were Jewish, I would have expected it to reopen on 6 PM on Saturday, when the Sabbath ends, so 🤷♂

Edit-edit: :hanzo:'d already. (It seems like I'm doing this a lot, lately. Maybe I should just add it to my signature so I don't have to keep re-typing it. :P )

• My minor WTF: Recently tried Elite Dangerous again to see what had changed and what had maybe even improved.

Answer: Not much, if anything. It's still a game a mile wide but only an inch deep. And they obviously haven't been able to apply any gameplay changes at all and obviously still don't know how to make a game out of their TruckersInSpace-Simulator.

Examples:

1. Bounty Hunting / Salvage missions. Those are basically unchanged since release - you're directed to a system and then have to cruise around until an "Unidentified Signal Source (USS)" pops up. Drop into said location from warp and you'll find:
    • A wedding cruise
    • Some merchants dicking around
    • Some pirates (but not the pirates you're searching for). Those pay only about 8K credit per pop.
    • A firefight between the police and some other pirates (still not the ones you need). I helped take down an Anaconda (a rather dangerous ship) and got 2K credits for my troubles.
    • Some waste flying around
    • Some more merchants dicking around
    • Nothing

It takes between half a minute and a full minute for a USS to pop up. Just now, I dropped into about 20 of them and didn't find what I was supposed to be finding. The whole mission was supposed to bring in about a 100K credits.

1. While cruising around, the NPCs will sometimes do some radio chatter - basically a text variant of Skyrim's "I was an adventurer like you until I took an arrow to the knee."
      There's maybe three different texts out there. If it was actually voice chatter I could understand a limited number - but text? Also, the same text sometimes repeats two times into a row, directly after each other. I'm also not sure why they thought that a cruise liner would blast their "Look out the left window now!" announcement clear through the whole system.

2. You still need to land the last shot to get a bounty.

3. The ETA calculator is still idiotic - it calculates the remaining time of flight based on current distance and speed. Nevermind that you'll always be either accelerating or decelerating towards the target which results in such delightful displays of "ETA: 7 seconds" for 2 minutes.

There's plenty more but it is absolutely showing that there have been two years and stuff like this has not been changed or fixed.

• @dreikin said in WTF Bites:

OUR STORE WILL REOPEN ON

www.sprayground.com

So they are Jews?

Or Seventh-day Adventists. We've had some billboards of theirs around here talking about how having the Sabbath on Sunday is a trick of the devil (more or less).

No, it's the Mark of the Beast. Jeez, get your terms right! :p