WTF Bites

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Arantor said in WTF Bites:

insane

I approve of this word. It is exactly correct for describing the cost of student accommodation.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

I approve of this word. It is exactly correct for describing the cost of student accommodation.

Yeah, but those prices are insanier than student accommodation is normally.

• I just got a "new" (old) project to do some work on and am getting exceptions like this:

java.lang.SecurityException: class "[...]"'s signer information does not match signer information of other classes in the same package

Whenever I fix one, the next run chokes on some other class with the same exception. I suspect somewhere in the process, Maven is eating some shit while trying to install its dependencies. However, it doesn't happen with any other Maven project, and it didn't happen to my coworkers with this project.

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

java.lang.SuperiorityException: class "[...]"'s signer information does not match signer information of other classes in the same package

How I initially read it... must have been hanging around on these forums too much lately.

• 🚽 Regular

java.lang.SuperiorityException: class "[...]" is far too important to be seen cavorting among other lower classes in the same package

• BINNED

May 11, Year of our Lord two thousand and seventeen - and I see this on a website:

0_1494508312345_marazzi.png

• @blek They're lying about the painless part 😉

• @royal_poet said in WTF Bites:

Bathrooms and kitchens with carpet and everything gets painted a washed out lemon yellow. Just why.

Cats?

• @djls45 said in WTF Bites:

@royal_poet said in WTF Bites:

Bathrooms and kitchens with carpet and everything gets painted a washed out lemon yellow. Just why.

Cats?

Naw, that would be "black everywhere with occasional yellow eyes".

• I have Cortana installed on my Android phone. Someone changed an event time in Google Calendar without sending emails, and Cortana detected it and made a notification. Cool! I'll just tap it and see what's changed...
    0_1494534666404_10461d14-7cee-413d-83a9-0741e9aa8a86-image.png
    It's stayed on this screen for over a minute before I closed it. When I manually open the app and view my schedule, it does show the time change - not sure why tapping the notification was too much.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@LB_ said in WTF Bites:

I have Cortana installed on my Android phone. Someone changed an event time in Google Calendar without sending emails, and Cortana detected it and made a notification. Cool! I'll just tap it and see what's changed...
    0_1494534666404_10461d14-7cee-413d-83a9-0741e9aa8a86-image.png
    It's stayed on this screen for over a minute before I closed it. When I manually open the app and view my schedule, it does show the time change - not sure why tapping the notification was too much.

Probably because it referenced a callback that became null in the meantime. I have a few apps that do that with enough regularity that I know now to just swipe the notification away and just launch the app normally...

• @LB_ said in WTF Bites:

I have Cortana installed on my Android phone.

I did that. My battery then proceeded to drain at a highly accelerated rate. It lasted about 2 days before I uninstalled.

edit: not the battery, how long the app lasted on the phone. Battery was drained in <1 day. Normally takes 2days.

• Good work, subtitle fella

0_1494540860114_Untitled.png

• @dcon huh, my battery lasts 5+ days if I don't touch my phone. Maybe they fixed it or maybe I've been lucky.

• @Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

Cats?

:whoosh: ???

Explaining the "joke" Houses with cats (especially lots of cats) tend to have a terrible, feline urine smell that defies cleaning.

• 🚽 Regular

@coldandtired said in WTF Bites:

Good work, subtitle fella

I recall having seen an instance of Portuguese subtitles over Spanish subtitles over the original title.
    But all three said exactly same.

Could that be a location in the North of Southern Ireland?   👿's 🥑

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Cats?

Explaining the "joke" Houses with cats (especially lots of cats) tend to have a terrible, feline urine smell that defies cleaning.

And here's the explanation for my "joke":

0_1494575050992_Unbenannt.JPG

• Fake News

@coldandtired said in WTF Bites:

Good work, subtitle fella

What if there is a moon language where the year needs to use different glyphs or writing?

What if a blind person wants to use the subtitles as a transcript for his line reader (without the movie playing of course)?

Funnyness aside, there could be an explanation that makes it less-a-WTF.

EDIT: I was commenting on the need to caption with a caption but only now spot the North / South difference. Ok, that's not supposed to be there.

• @JBert said in WTF Bites:

tere could be an explanation that makes it less-a-WTF.

Subtitle-guy lives in southern Ireland, but Durrow is north of him and he wanted to make a point?

• Fake News

@cvi You just replied during my edit. I spotted the difference just after posting my previous reply.

• Java Dev

Today I was informed about the secure printer we got at work. It's supposed to have limits in printing for most users, but unlimited printing for core staff and admins.

Only that the admin account still runs the default password. And we're not able to change it because the vendor has locked down the superuser account. And they wont change anything in the configuration. Technically you also need to be printing from the correct network to have unlimited printing, but there's nothing stopping anyone from just plugging a USB device into the printer directly.

We're looking at a new vendor to take over once the contract with this one runs out this autumn. Because of plenty other WTFs and a subpar wireless network that they're not bothering to fix.

• Java Dev

Although as I'm bored atm I may as well tell about the time when our vendor were going to replace the firewall and routers too. It happened before I started here so I was told about it by one of my colleagues.

So, staff came from the vendor. Went into the server room with the new equipment. Then after a bit came out and said they were going to finish the configuration remotely.

A couple days later they call and ask why they can't access the new equipment. Colleague walks into the server room to check and discover that the new equipment was still in the boxes, unopened. The staff they had sent over hadn't actually replaced the equipment they were going to replace, they'd just delivered the new equipment and I guess figured that it would magically install itself.

• @Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Cats?

And here's the explanation for my "joke":

0_1494575050992_Unbenannt.JPG

Ah. TIL.

• What kind of consoles?

0_1494599844870_c483d5f6-cc29-4710-adeb-cdae75fedc34-image.png

• @Atazhaia said in WTF Bites:

Although as I'm bored atm I may as well tell about the time when our vendor were going to replace the firewall and routers too. It happened before I started here so I was told about it by one of my colleagues.

So, staff came from the vendor. Went into the server room with the new equipment. Then after a bit came out and said they were going to finish the configuration remotely.

A couple days later they call and ask why they can't access the new equipment. Colleague walks into the server room to check and discover that the new equipment was still in the boxes, unopened. The staff they had sent over hadn't actually replaced the equipment they were going to replace, they'd just delivered the new equipment and I guess figured that it would magically install itself.

But... IT'S WIRELESS!

• 0_1494613935493_c62f277d-0784-4aed-a21b-0b2d78e65b1c-image.png

Maybe it's white-on-white?

0_1494613969978_282e4d5c-c3c4-47be-b249-070afd36028c-image.png

Great example, very useful.

• And once again, a small :wtf: from the wonderful world of education. Some may have read that today I gave the last lesson to one of my classes because from now on there are only exams (and their independent preparation for those).

Seems I haven't gotten completely rid of them as the vice principal of that school (not my actual school) told me that I'd have to supervise them next friday when they are supposed to do their math exam.

Okay, fine. I can do that - sit there, do the occasional glance to make sure that no one is whipping up a second mobile or something and otherwise surf the web or play a game without sound.

Then she told me that we'd do the exam in our regular room. Which has only 14 tables. But I have 23 pupils in this class.

When I remarked upon this little problem she told me: "No worries, we simply put two pupils on some of the tables, next to each other!"

I then raised the point that this would make snooping very easy. Her answer: "Piffle! They'll be very busy! They won't have time for snopping!"

Yes. Because the first part of this exam totally isn't multiple choice. Jesus Christ.

Oh, and she also scoffed at the notion that something like this might then be a good idea: "We don't need that!"

0_1494625653404_9650abc4-4ddd-4b05-afd6-672f51555d21-image.png

I think I'll bring those along from my school anyway.

• @Rhywden I'm grateful that my school has a little more sense than that--we have ours at long tables in a gym. Only one of each exam (Chemistry I, Physics I, etc) at a given table. That allows the whole department to walk around and supervise the exams and we only have to do one day next week.

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

0_1494613969978_282e4d5c-c3c4-47be-b249-070afd36028c-image.png

Twit. I keep trying to click to de-select the text. (dafaq? oh, right)

• @Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

@Rhywden I'm grateful that my school has a little more sense than that--we have ours at long tables in a gym. Only one of each exam (Chemistry I, Physics I, etc) at a given table. That allows the whole department to walk around and supervise the exams and we only have to do one day next week.

My actual school does it quite differently as well for the final exams. We even are required to jot down who sat where exactly, name and timestamps for every time someone goes to the toilet and who is requesting how many additional sheets of paper.

We even are required to jot down who sat where exactly, name and timestamps for every time someone goes to the toilet and who is requesting how many additional sheets of paper.

Do you also need to write down how soft the paper was? 😏

• @Rhywden We're not quite so formal (other than those who have to take 2 exams in the same field, ie they're taking 2 science classes). Those sit separately and are monitored more carefully.

cats ... tend to have a ... feline ... smell

REALLY?

• @ben_lubar nice Shatner impersonation.

• Is it just me or is it impossible to stay logged in to Samsung's site? I managed to register a product to my account but now it signs me out after every page navigation. Sometimes it sends me to an infinitely refreshing logout page.

@LB_ said in WTF Bites:

infinitely refreshing logout page.

Perhaps they took a page out of Microsoft's book...

@LB_ said in WTF Bites:

stay logged in to Samsung's site

:doing_it_wrong: SPANK SPANK!

• 🚽 Regular

This came up today.

0_1494695239828_Capture.PNG

0_1494696157336_Capture.PNG 👀

Timely.

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

This came up today.

0_1494695239828_Capture.PNG

0_1494696157336_Capture.PNG 👀

Timely.

Wonder if it's like how Microsoft dates all their generic drivers to 2006 so literally any other driver can supercede them?

• @Dreikin mention inside quotes don't work

@wharrgarbl said in WTF Bites:

That's actually pretty cool. That art style isn't often found very much anymore...

• @Tsaukpaetra it's just high-res pixel art. For some reason low-res is more popular.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Facebook reminded me about this old status from 2014:

So while I was buying a cpu, I got one of those Verified By Visa popups. I forgot my password, so after a few tries it told me I'd failed to verify and could not use this card. I then clicked "Continue" and was taken to... a confirmation page. A minute later, I got an email saying I successfully paid for my order. My confidence level in Verified by Visa is through the roof right now, let me tell you >.>

• @Yamikuronue said in WTF Bites:

Facebook reminded me about this old status from 2014:

So while I was buying a cpu, I got one of those Verified By Visa popups. I forgot my password, so after a few tries it told me I'd failed to verify and could not use this card. I then clicked "Continue" and was taken to... a confirmation page. A minute later, I got an email saying I successfully paid for my order. My confidence level in Verified by Visa is through the roof right now, let me tell you >.>

Along with 3DSecure it can go fuck itself. I changed my phone number, and while the wire transfers are perfectly okay and the single-use tokens get sent to my new number, the 3DSecure ones just disappear into the ether. Even though it should be literally the same mechanism.

• @Yamikuronue Those things are just security theatre. The basic rule of security is that it's only as strong as its weakest link. If you put a login page in endpoint A but still leave endpoints B, C and D open, you haven't really improved anything.

And the costs of all the fraud in this shitty system end up being redistributed to everyone else via increased prices, so there's no individual incentive to avoid it.

@anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

If you put a login page in endpoint A but still leave endpoints B, C and D open, you haven't really improved anything

Yeah, I was literally scratching my head when I realized you can't expire Microsoft's OWIN-based tokens, and instead have to implement your own expiration. Much joke good funny.

Of course, literally none of our APIs needed authentication, so anyone could request a user's profile info, friend people, etc. Until I came along and said, "so.... Yeah. When we're we planning on implementing security for our (intended) thousands-strong audience?"

WTF does a login page need Flash for?!

0_1494799310247_e4927193-150a-470a-80ec-9bdb87d6d654-image.png

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Tsaukpaetra The guy in the background is an amateur and thinks he needs it to take a picture of that skyline with his girlfriend.