WTF Bites

• area_can

@Dreikin why does it move the cursor anyways? I thought it's just a regular <input>...

• Notification Spam Recipient

@bb36e said in WTF Bites:

@Dreikin why does it move the cursor anyways? I thought it's just a regular <input>...

Sometimes losing focus and setting focus to a textbox can actually reset the cursor position, especially if you modify the text in any way.

• I use one of those metal shelving units as my desk**, apparently putting the UPS on the bottom shelf (which is my foot rest) causes current to flow through the second shelf when I am in direct contact between the two shelves.

**We have way too many people and things in this apartment. A year ago I did look into moving and anything within $500 of what we are currently paying monthly was significantly smaller. We've been here for almost 16 years and the first 5 years it was in receivership and no rent increases.

Fucking gentrification. 🚎

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Karla said in WTF Bites:

A year ago I did look into moving and anything within $500 of what we are currently paying monthly was significantly smaller.

That's what you get for being in NYC…

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

That's what you get for being in NYC…

I know, I know.

Must wait until kids are out of college to move.

apparently putting the UPS on the bottom shelf (which is my foot rest) causes current to flow through the second shelf when I am in direct contact between the two shelves.

What. The. Sh*t?!?!

• ♿ (Parody)

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

What. The. Sh*t?!?!

Yeah...sounds like someone needs a new UPS.

• @boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

What. The. Sh*t?!?!

Yeah...sounds like someone needs a new UPS.

It is actually relatively new. I forget when we got it. I obviously have way too many electronics on the desk:

Is it possible that it is a combination of all that?

• ♿ (Parody)

Sounds like something has insufficient insulation.

If it is indeed the UPS, then it's faulty, as almost any typical electronic device is supposed to be isolated from the environment .

It's precisely this situation that GFCI outlets are supposed to detect and shut off power when this happens, so, you know, you don't get electrocuted!

You can actually detect rather small amounts of current (because what you're actually feeling is the fact that it's rapidly oscillating back and forth, not that it's particularly powerful), but the fact that it's happening at all is a big warning sign.

Generally that's not, strictly speaking, true.

• @FrostCat said in WTF Bites:

Generally that's not, strictly speaking, true.

Child support in New York goes to 21 or 22 if they are in school. The 21 year olds do not want to leave NYC.

The 21 year olds do not want to leave NYC.

Snort. "You may stay as long as you want, if you can figure out how to pay for it yourself."

The 21 year olds do not want to leave NYC.

Snort. "You may stay as long as you want, if you can figure out how to pay for it yourself."

If they move in with their mother, she can ask for child support. I do not wish to give her that opportunity.

move in with their mother

Oh, gotcha. In high school I had a friend who moved out of his mom's apartment one afternoon while she was at work, and into her dad's, the next town over, because she was going to try to up child support.

move in with their mother

Oh, gotcha. In high school I had a friend who moved out of his mom's apartment one afternoon while she was at work, and into her dad's, the next town over, because she was going to try to up child support.

Yeah, I'm pragmatic. If we are already staying until the turn 22 we could stay a few more months until they graduate.

• @bb36e said in WTF Bites:

@dcon pretty much, you pay a small amount for tons of storage in exchange for reduced speed and the chance of your data being temporarily inaccessiblefalling off the edge and into the ocean

@Dreikin said in WTF Bites:

After enough complaints from linux/BSD users about Windows rewriting the MBR when there was a perfectly good Grub/LILO partition, they may have put in a quick check for it and skipped that step if found.

Nope. At least not as of a week or so ago when I upgraded the Windows half of my kids' dual-boot system and then had to go and google what do do at the "grub rescue>" prompt.

• 0_1468838662358_upload-1516c489-df7b-4741-ba98-4ddb829be2dc

http://i.imgur.com/nUvFUuM.jpg

Not enough support agents to handle the flood? Have customers help each other!

• kills Dumbledore

I guess this fits here.

I'm responsible for a site that has a postcode lookup. In all test environments it works as expected, but on the live site it takes upwards of 30 seconds to return the list of addresses. Test sites are more like half a second

I've added some logging to identify which part of the process is slowing it down. All worked fine through the test environments as expected since the only problem is in live. I get it to live, turn on the logging and...

it's as fast as in test.

So, my options are to try and work out what's happening without the logs, or to keep them enabled and go in semi regularly to delete the old logs; with the bonus that if it gets slow again the logging is in place.

It's weird, but it works for now.

• area_can

@cartman82 they set their name to "i would like to sign up for ...", either accidentally or on purpose. the first message is automatic

@cartman82 they set their name to "i would like to sign up for ...", either accidentally or on purpose. the first message is automatic

Ha. True.

@Jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

I've added some logging to identify which part of the process is slowing it down. All worked fine through the test environments as expected since the only problem is in live. I get it to live, turn on the logging and...
    it's as fast as in test.

Time for the weird theories. Is there some sort of load management system that Live triggers but Test doesn't, and the addition of the logging just takes it below the threshold for that? I've seen that sort of thing occasionally (and its inverse where adding something very small pushed a system into a different and much slower operating mode), and it is the total wurst of the wurst to figure out.

• 🚽 Regular

Is it an actual shock or a tingly/vibrating sensation?
    Is a laptop or other device with a wall wart/inline power supply involved? Double-insulated things with exposed metal areas are notorious for leaking a couple of hundred microamps and that is more than enough to feel. Unpleasant but not dangerous or against standards.

I'd also check the earth is still good on the UPS. Most have a ground bonding stud on them so you can bond your racking to ground for safety. That should solve the problem if it's a bit of leakage and is a really good idea anyway.

• @Tsaukpaetra @boomzilla

The entire apartment's wiring is a :wtf: . All rooms except the kitchen on one circuit. Don't try and use a blowdryer and the vacuum at the same time.

• @Tsaukpaetra @boomzilla

This would indicate that it is not necessarily faulty:

0_1468861378803_Whitepaper2013_UPSSafety.pdf

@Tsaukpaetra @boomzilla

Ah, but that's Datacenter level UPS equipment. Everything gets a bit more scary outside the home, and it's already fairly terrifying inside!

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra @boomzilla

Ah, but that's Datacenter level UPS equipment. Everything gets a bit more scary outside the home, and it's already fairly terrifying inside!

Alright, I'd rather be safe.

It just was interesting because at first I thought it was the USB cables because I had occasionally touched the end and felt a small charge. Initially, that's all it felt like and was fairly infrequent.

Then it seemed to get worse and more frequent. We have to figure this out now because I am scared of my desk now. Plus I sure as hell wouldn't my daughter to feel it.

We narrowed it down to that because my husband moved it a couple days ago when he was rearranging our room.

It just was interesting because at first I thought it was the USB cables because I had occasionally touched the end and felt a small charge.

Yeah, baaad isolation there. Did you see about @Cursorkeys' idea with the grounding stud?

What kind of UPS is it?

Filed under: Maybe we should take this to a new thread?

• @Tsaukpaetra Yeah, I did miss this.

@Cursorkeys said in WTF Bites:

Is it an actual shock or a tingly/vibrating sensation?
    Is a laptop or other device with a wall wart/inline power supply involved? Double-insulated things with exposed metal areas are notorious for leaking a couple of hundred microamps and that is more than enough to feel. Unpleasant but not dangerous or against standards.

In the begin it just seemed tingly again why I thought it was USB cables. The last couple times it hurt...the difference though could have been the lighter was my hand in contact with desk level.
    When it down right hurt is was my upper leg.

I'd also check the earth is still good on the UPS. Most have a ground bonding stud on them so you can bond your racking to ground for safety. That should solve the problem if it's a bit of leakage and is a really good idea anyway.

I'll get back to you when I can. My daughter hasn't napped all day and is acting crazy and it isn't in the most accessible position.

• 0_1468914574442_vs2013_update.png

The story goes something like this: working on a project that builds "fine" on a number of platforms, including VisualStudio 2015, Visual Studio 2013 (Update 5), a number of GCC versions, and a few Clang versions. A colleague tries to build the project after having been on vacation for a few days, and bam the compiler hangs in a generated file (compiler keeps churning at 100% CPU for 10+ minutes in that file, at which point my colleague gives up and stops the build). So, some scratching our heads later, it turns out he's on an "old" version of Visual Studio 2013 (i.e., Update 4).

Whatever, right? Just update, hope that problem goes away.

:nope:

• BINNED

Maybe we should take this to a new thread?

WTF Shocks

• area_can

This is only for dickheads who use reddit, but they're giving karma for self posts now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/4tmb16/karma_for_textposts_aka_selfposts/

Text-posts make up over 65% of submissions to Reddit and some of our best subreddits only accept text-posts. Because of this Reddit has become known for thought-provoking, witty, and in-depth text-posts, and their success has played a large role in the popularity Reddit currently enjoys.

Let's break this down bit by bit:

Text-posts make up over 65% of submissions to Reddit and some of our best subreddits only accept text-posts.

Maybe the reason why those subreddits are 'the best' is because they don't allow people to post garbage to try and get forum pointzzzzzz?

Because of this Reddit has become known for thought-provoking, witty, and in-depth text-posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHHA

• @bb36e What does "text post" mean? Just... a post with text in it? As opposed to one that's merely an image? Is a post with both text and images a "text post"?

EDIT: I read the update and I still don't know what a "text post" is, other than the update is an example of one.

• @blakeyrat A text post is one where you click the title of the post and instead of taking you to a meme it takes you to the comments page so you can read the text the OP wrote. For examples:

https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/

• @LB_ So... what a normal person would call "a post".

As opposed to what, though?

• @blakeyrat Sometimes when you click on reddit thread titles it brings you directly to imgur or another site, the comments aren't shown unless you click the comments text under the title.

Pretty sure, I hardly ever go on reddit.

• @Lathun Ok so let me get this straight.

Reddit has Internetpointzzz it calls "karma".

But posts with actual text in them never got "karma". Ever. At all. (Until this change went in recently.)

So users only ever earned "karma" by posting links to other websites entirely?

Do I have this clear in plain English, which Reddit fans seem incapable of using?

And... how the FUCK does that make any sense? This announcement is basically, "oh hey guyz, we made our dumb site actually work right."

• @blakeyrat The internet points are meant to help sort by content that is relevant to the subreddit you are in, not to congratulate the users who made the submissions. But yeah you've got it right.

• @LB_ said in WTF Bites:

The internet points are meant to help sort by content that is relevant to the subreddit you are in, not to congratulate the users who made the submissions.

If that's true, why is it called "karma"?

I find it amazing that for all these years, Reddit has been encouraging people to post links to meme images instead of actual text content.

• area_can

@blakeyrat

sample text post:
    0_1468956419836_Capture.PNG

(the Aa icon below the title indicates it's a text post)

sample link post:
    0_1468956441131_Capture.PNG

(the self.photography on the right of the text post is also why people refer to these as self posts)

when creating a post you have the option to either create a link post (a link to a URL with a custom title) or to create a text post (a bunch of text hosted on the site with a custom title, basically a regular ol forum post). subreddit moderators also have the ability to limit people to only post one type in their subreddit.

when people upvote your link post, your account gains pointz. but text posts don't gain points. so some moderators made their subreddits only allow text posts to reduce the number of people creating posts solely for the imaginary internet points.

if the site decides to go ahead with this change, then those subreddits will again be overrun by people posting stuff just for the internet points.

imagine if people here posted replies just to try and get likes. now imagine the forum was 75% those people. it's not nice.

• area_can

@bb36e the funny part is that apparently self posts used to have karma associated with them. but the site was having issues with the quality of content, so they stopped giving karma.

• @blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

I find it amazing that for all these years, Reddit has been encouraging people to post links to meme images instead of actual text content.

Reddit was supposed to be a 'news aggregator' initially. It's the influx of fresh content from other places that makes Reddit work. Nobody goes to reddit to find out what reddit people think.

Measures to avoid groupthink and masturbatory navel-gazing trumped by how dumb and tribal people are. ten points.

• area_can

@blakeyrat yeah, IIRC the idea was to make it so that good stuff got filtered to the top. so if someone goes to your community and posts false/garbage stuff, it sinks to the bottom.

the part where it started being added up on users' accounts was their first mistake, I'd rather have them do it like HN where numbers aren't shown. on the other hand, showing a user tally kind of serves like a reputation counter, but as we can see it hasn't gone very well.

(a bunch of text hosted on the site with a custom title, basically a regular ol forum post).

What's throwing me is, if it's just a NORMAL FORUM POST on a FORUM website, why does it have a special name? WTF!

Yeah, we build this new brand of car. It has these rubber things around the wheels. We call them "mega psycho tires". They're totally different and unique from tires, obvs.

@bb36e said in WTF Bites:

imagine if people here posted replies just to try and get likes. now imagine the forum was 75% those people. it's not nice.

You mean 6 months ago? When Accalia and RacialPruk exchanged animal noises for 12 hours a day?

Yeah, I've seen it. It ain't pretty.

• @blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

if it's just a NORMAL FORUM POST on a FORUM website,

It's not supposed to be either of those things.

• area_can

@blakeyrat I agree it's pretty confusing for new users. Based on the past year's changes, it seems like the admins are slowly trying to make the onboarding process a little better for people new to the site.

🤷

• area_can

@blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

What's throwing me is, if it's just a NORMAL FORUM POST on a FORUM website, why does it have a special name? WTF!

also I think a lot of the terminology is old. when the site started out, it was a news aggregator with just one forum and the only thing users could do is post links (i.e. create posts). then they added comments (and everyone bitched about it). and somewhere along the process they created text-based posts.

so on reddit, 'posts' were just links. confusing, eh

• @AyGeePlus said in WTF Bites:

It's not supposed to be either of those things.

What's it supposed to be? A flavor of ice cream?

@blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

So users only ever earned "karma" by posting links to other websites entirely?

No, you also get it by getting your comments upvoted.