WTF Bites

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

@dreikin said in WTF Bites:

@polygeekery said in WTF Bites:

I was watching a Jimmy Diresta video today that is him making some promo thing for a company called Sprayground. I go to look them up to see what they are and their website is intentionally down on Saturdays...for some reason. :wtf: ???

TAKE A DAY FOR REST & RELAXATION...
    6 DAYS WE WORK, BUT ON THE 7TH WE CHILL.
    OUR STORE WILL REOPEN ON
    SUNDAY AT 12:30AM EST

www.sprayground.com

Check it out for yourself. That's retarded and so is paying for a video that will launch on Saturday while your site is down.

Not if you want to advertise your devoutness.

So they are Jews?

Or Seventh-day Adventists. We've had some billboards of theirs around here talking about how having the Sabbath on Sunday is a trick of the devil (more or less).

No, it's the Mark of the Beast. Jeez, get your terms right! :p

...wow. If they're going to off about how it's "Sun" day, they're pretty much fucked in English or Romance languages. Everyday of the week is dedicated to something other than the god they want.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Recently tried Elite Dangerous again to see what had changed and what had maybe even improved.

Brought my Oculus to a friend's and we tried the VR mode. It was kinda cool, but maintaining keyboard controls was really annoying.

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Recently tried Elite Dangerous again to see what had changed and what had maybe even improved.

Brought my Oculus to a friend's and we tried the VR mode. It was kinda cool, but maintaining keyboard controls was really annoying.

If you have a proper flightstick (the Thrustmaster Hotas X is both cheap and reliable) then you don't really need to take your hands off the stick during flight.
    The only part where a keyboard is more useful is the Galaxy map

@tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

If you have a proper flightstick (the Thrustmaster Hotas X is both cheap and reliable) then you don't really need to take your hands off the stick during flight.

Dunno, we only had time for about 10 minutes of gameplay (downloading all the oculus and SteamVR cruft took way too long) in which I saw him fumble quite a bit before just giving up and sun-diving. :D

• Netflix's new original series What Happened To Monday has this synopsis:

In a world that forbids siblings, seven identical sisters pretend to be one. For as long as they can.

That's the dumbest premise I've ever seen.

• @blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

Netflix's new original series What Happened To Monday has this synopsis:

In a world that forbids siblings, seven identical sisters pretend to be one. For as long as they can.

That's the dumbest premise I've ever seen.

Well, if they don't screw it up it could be an okay sitcom...

is a dystopian science fiction thriller film

Oh. Carry on then.

• @maciejasjmj By the way:

When multiple children are born to one mother, all but the eldest are put into cryosleep, to be awakened when the crisis is over.

So they don't have enough resources to feed them to the point of putting forth a one child policy, but apparently cryogenic capsules together with lifetime maintenance plans are just "buy one, get one free" in this world?

Via this CppCon 2016 talk, using Compiler Explorer:
    0_1503290591217_7df039b4-687a-444e-9a0f-cae1855dceb5-image.png

If I add -std=c++1z gcc can figure it out:
    0_1503290675819_dbc0c2c7-710b-4101-9ab4-8287438ce0ff-image.png

• @dcoder said in WTF Bites:

Edit: Google's cache has a more complete copy of the entire issue: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fmicrosoft%2Fvscode%2Fissues%2F32405

Bonus WTF: GitHub removed the report altogether. Yes, there was a paragraph of “FUCK” and it was a stupid rant, not a real bug report, but still, I don't think bug reports should ever disappear without a trace.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

Just like my raincoat then…

Wow, you have an ALL CAPS RAINCOAT?

• @blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

@dcoder Is there a technical reason the files were deleted outright instead of being put into the recycle bin?

Recycle bin is only implemented in the shell. WinAPI, standard C library and POSIX emulation layer calls simply remove the file outright. Therefore files only go to recycle bin when deleted from explorer or by application that explicitly goes through that binding.

@dcoder said in WTF Bites:

git does not use the Recycle Bin by default (though you can configure it to do so, with some shell scriptsobscure incantations so loved by git).

No, you can't. The incantation creates a new command that will put files git would delete in the recycle bin, but when git itself deletes them, it won't put them anywhere.

@sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

Not really. That's not how any IDE I've worked with does things. Including Visual Studio...

Not really. That's not how any IDE I've worked with does things. Including Visual Studio...

Of course not. I don't think .net standard library has delete-to-recycle-bin command either.

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

Of course not. I don't think .net standard library has delete-to-recycle-bin command either.

It's in the Visual Basic namespace, for some reason.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

a user not that familiar with source control

I think that was the initial problem.

He didn't have any.

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

but still, I don't think bug reports should ever disappear without a trace.

You haven't used Discourse, have you?

• @pjh said in WTF Bites:

It's one thing if a bunch of donkeyholes that are :doing_it_wrong: do it and another if one of the largest project hosting companies does.

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

@pjh said in WTF Bites:

It's one thing if a bunch of donkeyholes that are :doing_it_wrong: do it and another if one of the largest project hosting companies does.

So the actions of a site user reflects the attitudes and actions of the company itself? Ballsy claim there...

• Dupa

@blakeyrat There is truth in that argument. I have read the previous threads here about UX and git, and I do not want to rehash the same arguments for the Nth time, because the UX is too often neglected and even user-hostile in some applications.

However, if you see this dialog:

0_1503117916006_26770252-addb-461e-b567-88929a585dbe-image.png

and click through it without even thinking, I don't think it's the software's fault for doing what you asked it to do, after you have confirmed your intent.

I'm not that terribly surprised by his actions, and I can sympathize with him that this is a confusing confirmation dialog. I think the breakdown of communication is what exactly is entailed within the word "changes".

Source control considers having unindexed files in the repo folder to be a "change". Keeping that "change" means incorporating those files into the repository, whereas discarding it means removing them.

On the other hand, a user not that familiar with source control would expect "change" to mean alterations done to the contents of the file, just like every other file editor on their system.

I don't think you're right. This person didn't want any changes removed, he wanted those changes to disappear from the source control pane. He thought discarding them would only make Git stop tracking them.

And so the murders began.

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said in WTF Bites:

Did the user intend to lose that data? No.

Clearly, by the response to the "THIS WILL DELETE YOUR FILES" dialog, they did intend to lose that data.

Unless you're suggesting the program become psychic...

There was no "delete your files" in the message box back then. It only said "it will discard everything, this action is irreversible". The "delete files" info came after the bug report.

• Dupa

Clearly, by the response to the "THIS WILL DELETE YOUR FILES" dialog, they did intend to lose that data.

The dialog didn't say it would delete files.

Even if it would delete files, the OS has a built-in feature to help users recover files which wasn't used, apparently because the creators of Git and/or VS Code were purely utter assholes who hate their users.

In this case, both. But seeing that the VS Code devs decided to fix this, they don't hate their users, they were just thoughtless. When it comes to the git devs, well…

• @tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

@pjh said in WTF Bites:

So the actions of a site user reflects the attitudes and actions of the company itself? Ballsy claim there...

No, I am talking about actions of the company (in both cases). I don't think the users can delete issues completely.

• @kt_ said in WTF Bites:

The dialog didn't say it would delete files.

Even if it would delete files, the OS has a built-in feature to help users recover files which wasn't used, apparently because the creators of Git and/or VS Code were purely utter assholes who hate their users.

In this case, both. But seeing that the VS Code devs decided to fix this, they don't hate their users, they were just thoughtless. When it comes to the git devs, well…

In this case, the command-line UI is even safer. git clean won't do anything without parameters. It requires -f and with -n it explicitly tells you it “Would remove” the files. But the Git UI does not matter, because it is hidden by VSCode.

And if you think about the recycle bin, you almost never want that. git clean is normally used for removing build products and the recycle bin would be a huge mess if it put them in.

• @dreikin said in WTF Bites:

@anotherusername said in WTF Bites:

I was watching a Jimmy Diresta video today that is him making some promo thing for a company called Sprayground. I go to look them up to see what they are and their website is intentionally down on Saturdays...for some reason. :wtf: ???

TAKE A DAY FOR REST & RELAXATION...
    6 DAYS WE WORK, BUT ON THE 7TH WE CHILL.
    OUR STORE WILL REOPEN ON
    SUNDAY AT 12:30AM EST

www.sprayground.com

Check it out for yourself. That's retarded and so is paying for a video that will launch on Saturday while your site is down.

Not if you want to advertise your devoutness.

So they are Jews?

Or Seventh-day Adventists. We've had some billboards of theirs around here talking about how having the Sabbath on Sunday is a trick of the devil (more or less).

No, it's the Mark of the Beast. Jeez, get your terms right! :p

...wow. If they're going to off about how it's "Sun" day, they're pretty much fucked in English or Romance languages. Everyday of the week is dedicated to something other than the god they want.

Actually, I think that in Romance languages Sunday is the only day that is named after the god that they want! ("domenica"/"domingo" in Italian/Spanish/Portuguese are quite obvious, "dimanche" in French less so but still the same origin)

• @rhywden

Elite Dangerous

I've more-or-less given up on doing anything meaningful in the game. Mostly I just like flying around while I listen to podcasts or something.

A while ago they had some interesting emergent gameplay with smuggling missions that had a huge payout and were fairly easy to stack and fun to do. So much so I made a utility to help me keep track of what I was doing. But then they nerfed those missions. Now supposedly passenger transport is the next big thing but so far it seems pretty boring.

• @rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Not even then. Other than typing in the search bar I don't use the keyboard at all.

@r10pez10 TIL that high-bandwidth applications don't work south of the equator.

• @bulb said in WTF Bites:

Recycle bin is only implemented in the shell. WinAPI, standard C library and POSIX emulation layer calls simply remove the file outright. Therefore files only go to recycle bin when deleted from explorer or by application that explicitly goes through that binding.

Oh noes, it's two operations instead of one. I guess all programmers everywhere in the universe are too lazy to do that! You've certainly convinced me that these software developers are noble heroes who would never take shortcuts that would harm their users!

@bulb said in WTF Bites:

No, you can't. The incantation creates a new command that will put files git would delete in the recycle bin, but when git itself deletes them, it won't put them anywhere.

Yes; that is because Git is shitty. As we've discussed here many dozens of times.

• @bulb said in WTF Bites:

git clean is normally used for removing build products and the recycle bin would be a huge mess if it put them in.

You shouldn't use the Recycle Bin because it could get... disorganized?

Seriously?

Fuck all y'all.

• area_can

@r10pez10 it's because the data overage surcharges would be too high

• @kt_ said in WTF Bites:

@blakeyrat There is truth in that argument. I have read the previous threads here about UX and git, and I do not want to rehash the same arguments for the Nth time, because the UX is too often neglected and even user-hostile in some applications.

However, if you see this dialog:

0_1503117916006_26770252-addb-461e-b567-88929a585dbe-image.png

and click through it without even thinking, I don't think it's the software's fault for doing what you asked it to do, after you have confirmed your intent.

I'm not that terribly surprised by his actions, and I can sympathize with him that this is a confusing confirmation dialog. I think the breakdown of communication is what exactly is entailed within the word "changes".

Source control considers having unindexed files in the repo folder to be a "change". Keeping that "change" means incorporating those files into the repository, whereas discarding it means removing them.

On the other hand, a user not that familiar with source control would expect "change" to mean alterations done to the contents of the file, just like every other file editor on their system.

I don't think you're right. This person didn't want any changes removed, he wanted those changes to disappear from the source control pane. He thought discarding them would only make Git stop tracking them.

And so the murders began.

That's what I said. He misunderstood what "changes" meant, so he misunderstood what "discarding changes" entailed, because he thought that it meant the same as just about every other program he had used on his computer, when in fact it means something different when it comes to source control management.

• :belt_onion:

That's what I said. He misunderstood what "changes" meant, so he misunderstood what "discarding changes" entailed, because he thought that it meant the same as just about every other program he had used on his computer, when in fact it means something different when it comes to source control management.

Even when it comes to source control management what VS Code was doing didn't make sense. If I saw "discard changes" in a repository I would assume a git reset --hard. I would NOT assume a git clean, which is an incredibly destructive action.

• 0_1503337729744_0cb5d377-7b5f-49d6-8532-e18667961123-image.png

A 1 minute timeout, that increases to 10 minutes, for a network file system?! They're telling me there are servers out there that take 6 or 7 minutes to respond to a request?

• @anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

They're telling me there are servers out there that take 6 or 7 minutes to respond to a request?

Yes :trollface:

• @anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

They're telling me there are servers out there that take 6 or 7 minutes to respond to a request?

That's when they bother replying at all.

*glances at one of the european computing clusters, which has a more-or-less daily newsletter stating what parts are online and what aren't*

• This is the old banner from the Linux Test Project website:
    http://ltp.sourceforge.net/images/banner.png
    Jesus, how about you try to learn a little from a graphic designer course? And maybe don't draw your logo in some Xorg graphics editor from 1991.

• FoxDev

@anonymous234 For some reason, it's not displaying for me.

Embedding works though:
    0_1503343572291_73439994-a19b-4ca8-a03c-0b79c89cf165-image.png

• @raceprouk said in WTF Bites:

Edge ?

• @raceprouk said in WTF Bites:

For some reason, it's not displaying for me.

Sourceforge.net banned on the firewall?

• FoxDev

@timebandit said in WTF Bites:

@raceprouk said in WTF Bites:

Edge ?

Chrome.

Edit: Ah, it's blocking insecure content, that's why.

• ♿ (Parody)

@anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

It's funny how in one hand you have companies paying UX experts to spend hundreds of hours figuring out if they should move a button their an app from the left side of the screen to the right side to reduce user confusion, and on the other hand you have developers going "pfft, what idiot doesn't know the git commands by heart anyway".

As a casual git user, I went to look at the documentation for the discard command. It's not a thing. So this is $100% VS Code's fault. I don't recall seeing it in this thread, but does anyone know what actual command it runs under the covers? Because apparently there's more than one way to do it:

As awful as VS Code was to him, I'm still amused by the guy having 5,000 files and never putting them into any repository or even code.new.zip.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@r10pez10 TIL that high-bandwidth applications don't work south of the equator.

I think they've been flushing the computers in the toilet to see if they go the wrong way.

• :belt_onion:

@boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

I don't recall seeing it in this thread, but does anyone know what actual command it runs under the covers?

git clean -f -q.

• @r10pez10 That's not a WTF. It's precisely what you expect anyone with an interest in not building high speed networks to say.

• ♿ (Parody)

@heterodox said in WTF Bites:

git clean -f -q

One wonders how they came up with "Discard" to represent that. And their message is still retarded. It should definitely say that it will permanently "Remove untracked files from the working tree," which is what man git clean says it does.

It's impressive to be more opaque than git itself. For something as destructive as this, I'd have done a dry run (-n) and shove that list in the user's face.

All this shit will be gone, motherfucker. You really sure?

@heterodox said in WTF Bites:

git clean -f -q

I read that as "git clean fuck you", which seems about right…

• 🚽 Regular

@raceprouk said in WTF Bites:

Edit: Ah, it's blocking insecure content, that's why.

Poor content, being discriminated against like that.
    No wonder it feels insecure.

• 🚽 Regular

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

I read that as "git clean fuck you", which seems about right…

Same here.

• 🚽 Regular

Wow, what a deal on GOG.

0_1503394495907_Capture.PNG

Pre-post edit: meh, it was just a bit of JS that failed to load. Whatever, it's a WtfBite.

• Seen in the wild: How some people identify a HTTP response code that represents an error.

if (floor($info['http_code'] / 100) >= 4) {

• @dcoder because:

if ($info['http_code'] >= 400) {

is effort.

Also, cURL has a sucky return format.