Safe Space

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Magus There are plenty of people Boomzilla's age that throw a tantrum if you tell them 'no', too. So what? Some people don't raise their kids right.

• @Magus said in Safe Space:

@aliceif You get why, though, right?

There are plenty of people Ben's age in particular who break down and cry if you tell them they're wrong.

Nope. I don't.
    The people who were around my age that I was around with didn't seem anything like the "snowflakes" that the internet keeps talking about.

And I was born in the mid-nineties.

Calling me part of a "generation of snowflakes" is just kind of unfair, you know.
    Implying that if I ever express discomfort about something or complain about something it's just "snowflakeyness" and invalid. And I'm female, so that makes it even more likely to have what I say automatically dismissed.

• @aliceif First downvote? Awesome!

• @aliceif said in Safe Space:

Calling me part of a "generation of snowflakes" is just kind of unfair, you know.

People get unfairly categorized constantly, and I hate it. But a generation is something that's quite obviously too huge to mean much. Though people seem to do equally unfair things to the baby boomers, so maybe people really are that dumb.

It'll be really tragic if this generation keeps the name and is remembered by it. Hopefully it won't.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@aliceif It depends on who you were around. I agree that there's a lot of good people out of the 90's, but I I also have concern for many of my peers post-college.It's neither invalid to generalize us as Gen Snowflake nor to to point out that generalizations don't apply to everyone (that's what makes them generalizations rather than facts).

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@aliceif said in Safe Space:

Hmm. Not my intention.

"Generation Snowflake" to me means a not insignificant minority of those, usually, going through university at the moment, not the whole gamut of people aged late teens to late 20's. Namely the ones who are epitomized by the crybullies cartoons.

It's akin to how "baby boomers" (1946 to 1964) are castigated (in the UK certainly, not sure about state-side) for the advantages they've supposedly had (increased housing equity, gold-plated pensions) to the detriment of following generations, when it's not everyone, or even a majority, in that age range that have actually had the advantages cited.

As a further datum point - one of my current dates was born in the mid-nineties and I'd by no means attribute 'snowflake' to them, even though it's some of their peers that (deservedly) attract that moniker.

Feel free to downvote this post as well.

• @PJH said in Safe Space:

Feel free to downvote this post as well.

Why would I? This one contains actual reasonable content.

• BINNED

@aliceif The amount of whining about imaginary bullshit in your post doesn't go very far in persuading me that you're not a special snowflake. And the second one, too: "oh noes, I now have one less imaginary internet point!!!1". You might be a less severe case than some others, sure, but you still sound like you seriously need to get over yourself.

I was born in the late 80s so I'm part of that generation too. Yet, here I am, not giving a shit if anyone calls millenials or gen Y or whatever "special snowflakes" or "pussies", because I understand that the world doesn't revolve around me, so when someone talks about an entire generation they probably don't mean me, personally. You have to be seriously fucked in the head if you think anyone was talking about you.

Same goes for the "waaaah I'm a woman so people dismiss my opinions" thing. Did you ever stop and think that maybe, just maybe you're not the hot shit you are, and people are dismissive because nobody wants to hear about your first world problems?

• @blek Oh look, an anti-PC-warrior appeared.

@blek said in Safe Space:

but you still sound like you seriously need to get over yourself

Explain.

You have to be seriously fucked in the head if you think anyone was talking about you.

The thing is that it sets an undertone of hostility. And some people quickly label you a "crybaby millenial" or "SJW" when you say anything that's even just a bit in certain directions.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe, just maybe you're not the hot shit you are, and people are dismissive because nobody wants to hear about your first world problems?

I don't commonly talk about my first world problems. And I'm not a narcissist like you assume.

• @blek You... aren't talking to Fox, you know.

• BINNED

@Magus As I'm saying, less severe, but still the same mentality.

Someone on the internet writes about how we should kill all trannies and Director Furry assumes everyone wants to murder him, personally, beacause everything's abour him - and spawns a 17000+ post thread. Someone says "millenials are pussies" and aliceif assumes the world hates her, personally. It's the same narcissistic mentality - "everything is about me, personally".

Normal people understand how generalizations work - they're shorthands, because writing "millenials are special snowflakes" is shorter than "a certain group of millenials, but of course not all of them, seem to be narcissistic". When people talk about a group, they don't mean that every single member of said group is identical to every other member of said group - especially if the only real unifying characteristic is the time period in which these people were born.

This is so incredibly obvious it hurts to type it out.

@aliceif

Explain.

Huh? Read the post you're reacting to.

The thing is that it sets an undertone of hostility. And some people quickly label you a "crybaby millenial" or "SJW" when you say anything that's even just a bit in certain directions.

...who cares? I've been called an SJW and a cuck and a million other things, but do you see me whining about it? I don't, and I expect others to offer me the same courtesy.

I don't commonly talk about my first world problems. And I'm not a narcissist like you assume.

You're talking about first world problems right now. Your last three posts were nothing but that. "Muh internet karma!" "People dismiss me? Well obviously I'm perfect and everything I say is solid gold so it must be because I'm a woman!" "Some dude on the internet spoke negatively about a gigantic group of people which happens to include me and I take personal offence at that!" - That's literally nothing but first world problems and narcissism.

• Considered Harmful

@accalia said in Safe Space:

@Luhmann said in Safe Space:

@accalia said in Safe Space:

wets herself

It's called a safe space not a smelly space!

well now it's called MY space.

We already know MySpace is piss.

• Impossible Mission - B

Nope. I don't.
    The people who were around my age that I was around with didn't seem anything like the "snowflakes" that the internet keeps talking about.

Implying that if I ever express discomfort about something or complain about something it's just "snowflakeyness" and invalid.

So what you're saying is, you're different from the rest of them? 🚎

• @blek said in Safe Space:

"People dismiss me? Well obviously I'm perfect and everything I say is solid gold so it must be because I'm a woman!"

I'm saying that being female makes being of a certain age even worse.

• BINNED

@aliceif At the risk of this thread devolving into a round of Oppression Olympics: How could you possibly know that?

• @masonwheeler said in Safe Space:

Nope. I don't.

Implying that if I ever express discomfort about something or complain about something it's just "snowflakeyness" and invalid.

I'm a moderator on WTDWTF, so yes. I am probably very different.

Someone says "millenials are pussies" and aliceif assumes the world hates her, personally.

No, it just pisses me off. It's said all the time. It's used to dismiss people's opinions. It's used against me and people I respect.

• Impossible Mission - B

@masonwheeler said in Safe Space:

I'm a moderator on WTDWTF, so yes. I am probably very different.

:whoosh:

• @lucas1 said in Safe Space:

I am MR NOT Politically Correct.

How astonishingly courageous of you.

Here, have a biscuit.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@flabdablet said in Safe Space:

Here, have a biscuit.

Is it soggy?

• BINNED

No, it just pisses me off. It's said all the time. It's used to dismiss people's opinions. It's used against me and people I respect.

It's used against me and people I respect

used against me

me

me

me

me

Nobody was talking about you. Not everything anyone ever says is about you. ಠ_ಠ

And, Jesus rollerblading Christ, even if they were, who cares?! This is an internet forum where most people just let off steam and post funny and/or stupid shit! You don't even know most people in here - do you?

• @blek Thanks for deliberately misreading what I said.

Look, I hate it when people say that. I might be a moron for doing so. Whatever.

• BINNED

@aliceif Oh, and to add a rotten cherry on top of the shit-cake: You complain about being dismissed with labels, and yet in the same thread you introduce a post with this?

Oh look, an anti-PC-warrior appeared.

Excellent job at practicing what you preach right there.

@aliceif Oh, and to add a rotten cherry on top of the shit-cake: You complain about being dismissed with labels, and yet in the same thread you introduce a post with this?

Oh look, an anti-PC-warrior appeared.

Excellent job at practicing what you preach right there.

Well, what group do you belong to? What's your ideology?

• BINNED

@aliceif This thread isn't about me and I like it that way.

• I'd rather people be flaming me instead :D

• BINNED

@lucas1 Well, I think you owe us an update, don't you? What happened today? Is the building on fire yet?

• @blek Now that I think of it, he never told us how old his coworkers are.

• BINNED

@aliceif The funny thing is, now that I think of it, the most egregious special snowflakes and narcissists (in the sense that's usually ascribed to millenials - think everything they say is solid gold and so anyone disagreeing must be an asshole and Literally Hitler) that I have to deal with are not actually millenials - they're in their 40s or maybe early 50s.

now that I think

0_1466709254663_159311-top-gun-nes-screenshot-mission-accomplished.png

🛒

• BINNED

@aliceif I'm seriously getting sick of people using images from old games like that.

Oh, and emoji. IT DOESN'T HAVE TROL ANYWHERE IN IT WHARGHBLARGH

that I have to deal with

I have to deal with

I

I

I

I

It's not all about you, sunshine.

I'm seriously getting sick of people using images from old games like that.

0_1466709511862_a_winner_is_you20110724-22047-1nd3wif.jpg

• @error said in Safe Space:

Filed under: If you ever feel the need to reassure your audience that you're "not a racist," that could just be the cognitive dissonance talking.

One of my groups is composed of people of various races, and we frequently make racist jokes at each other's expense (e.g. Asian guy to black guy: "You're late again. Taking advantage of your racial passive bonus again, I see." Black guy in response: "Why aren't you laying rail?")

The insinuation that this sort of behavior is in the same bin as cross burnings, lynchings, or internment camps is downright offensive. Which would be my guess as to why "I'm not racist, but" is a frequent construction.

• @aliceif said in Safe Space:

You're making me feel old.

I was born in the late 80s

You're making me feel older.

• Impossible Mission - B

@Groaner said in Safe Space:

One of my groups is composed of people of various races, and we frequently make racist jokes at each other's expense (e.g. Asian guy to black guy: "You're late again. Taking advantage of your racial passive bonus again, I see." Black guy in response: "Why aren't you laying rail?")

The insinuation that this sort of behavior is in the same bin as cross burnings, lynchings, or internment camps is downright offensive. Which would be my guess as to why "I'm not racist, but" is a frequent construction.

The real tragedy of widespread racism-ism, which anyone familiar with the old tale of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" could have predicted, is that after years of idiots breathlessly yelling "RACISM!!!!!!1111one" over every little thing, and then it turns out not to be even remotely racist afterall, people get so desensitized to all the false claims that you end up with... well... Donald Trump.

• This post is deleted!

• @blek So your point is that you were wrong? And 'generation snowflake' was actually born in the 70s?

• BINNED

@AyGeePlus No, my point is what I said: that some of the worst special snowflakes I work with aren't actually millenials. I already said that when people talk about a huge group of people that has nothing in common except the time period they were born in, obviously everyone understands that not everything applies to every single person in that group. (People do understand that, right? Please?)

So, millenials overall might have a higher incidence of special snowflakes. The internet suggests that, though it might just be a case of a very vocal minority; millenials are the generation that grew up with modern computers and internet, they're more used to it so they're more likely to use these tools to broadcast their stupidity than previous generations.

That doesn't mean that every millenial is a special snowflake, and neither does it mean that people in other time periods can never be special snowflakes. Also, in the limited group of people I work with, the worst narcissists are actually not millenials, which goes against "common knowledge" or whatever you want to call it, which is why it's a funny thing.

• Considered Harmful

@Groaner said in Safe Space:

@error said in Safe Space:

Filed under: If you ever feel the need to reassure your audience that you're "not a racist," that could just be the cognitive dissonance talking.

Taken in context, though, it immediately followed a slur. That's a little more than light-hearted joking.

• No, I was dealing with environmental and merge problems all day.

@aliceif They are in the 20s and 30s ... however I tend not to be "nice" e.g. I have a tendency of wanting to get shit done quickly. So I tend to basically say "this is the problem" and I can be brutal when I break down a problem to the point where people think I am having a go.

If I actually had a go it tended to be epic, so even when I try to be nice I sound like I am basically losing my shit.

• BINNED

@error Medium-hearted joking then?

• @lucas1 said in Safe Space:

"Seriously I am not going to give bullshit estimates"

Why do you think we carry a d20 dice? To play RPG?

• @flabdablet look I don't want to sound like some narcissist but people have actually told me "they thought the same but was too afraid to say".

Oh, and emoji. IT DOESN'T HAVE TROL ANYWHERE IN IT WHARGHBLARGH

It's called a trolley in various parts of the world, so it's close enough.

Also, in the limited group of people I work with, the worst narcissists are actually not millenials, which goes against "common knowledge" or whatever you want to call it, which is why it's a funny thing.

tl;dr; stereotypes inaccurate, more news at 11?

• Considered Harmful

@fbmac said in Safe Space:

@lucas1 said in Safe Space:

"Seriously I am not going to give bullshit estimates"

Why do you think we carry a d20 dice? To play RPG?

FTFM

Filed under: It was more for me than for you.

• I had a boss capable of making people cry in a corner once. I will never work for someone like this again.