Let's make sure we have jQuery

• BINNED

@dkf said in Let's make sure we have jQuery:

I was running animations written in scripting languages acceptably with what was current hardware 20 years ago. Users do not have hardware that crap, not now. Even my phone (now 2½ years old, so hardly a new system) is way more powerful than the systems we had then. We should not be having to put up with this shit.

Amen to that. Fucking phones these days are 10x the speed of my first PC and it's still all slow and janky. I really have NFC how in the ass they manage that, and I don't want to try and figure it out because, frankly, I appreciate the lack of headache that knowledge would give me.

• I was running animations written in scripting languages acceptably with what was current hardware 20 years ago. Users do not have hardware that crap, not now. Even my phone (now 2½ years old, so hardly a new system) is way more powerful than the systems we had then. We should not be having to put up with this shit. I'm really sorry, but my sympathy for your PoV is quite limited.

No they don't but most Operating systems do a hell of a lot more and then you normally have all the crap etc that is pre-installed than those machines we were using in the 90s. Yes I am sure DOS would fly on my i7 machine ... but it isn't relevant and it doesn't reflect the reality of the situation.

@dkf said in Let's make sure we have jQuery:

If you want to get good performance out of websites and stop phones from having their batteries hammered (a good goal) then stop the damn ads.

Well that is a separate issue, it not my fault people plaster ads all over pages. Talk to them.

TL;DR;

I am advocating for people to write more efficient code.

• @Matches Played a $3.30 $6k GTD yesterday, busted 25 spots from the money due to a stupid play. Such is life.

• @Lorne-Kates this wonderful &^(&^(&%^%(^))(&(&^^%&% of a web site only remembers your last read position the second time you read a thread. Because obviously that's what everyone wants.

• Dupa

@lucas1 said in Let's make sure we have jQuery:

Also you have to remember the most users machines (even desktops) are basically crap machines, so while it works good enough on a i5 or better machine, some i3 £300 machine from the supermarket with 2gb of ram, your website is going to chug along and be a frustration to you and your users.

QFT, because one of my machines is an older one and all those fucking web devs with i7's make me hate the web sometimes.

• Dupa

@lucas1 said in Let's make sure we have jQuery:

I am advocating for people to write more efficient code.

I find it that a lot of web devs don't get it that their apps are being run in an ecosystem -- the web browser. Now, when your app is optimized poorly, the whole ecosystem with 10 or 20 other webpages open grinds to a halt. And God forbid if a user has more of such poorly optimized pages open. And God forbid the computer their using was bought more than 2 years ago.

Websites are not games and you probably don't need those animations anyhow, but if you do just make sure it doesn't kill your client's CPU.

• @kt_ I find that most of the twonks that come out of university think a browser just means Chrome on their desktop.

Years ago most web designers seem to produce stuff that worked in Safari or Firefox and didn't work on anything else.

• @kt_ said in Let's make sure we have jQuery:

all those fucking web devs with i7's make me hate the web sometimes.

Web devs should be forced to write their shit on a first-gen celeron with only 1 gig of RAM.

• area_pol

A new jQuery version released: https://blog.jquery.com/2016/06/09/jquery-3-0-final-released/
    Quickly, add it to that site!

• @Lorne-Kates scroll down and find the highlighted post, it's usually a few posts down due to jellypotato. Every onebox above it pushes it down further and NodeBB can't figure out how to un fuck it.

• kills Dumbledore

@anotherusername sometimes the bottom post isn't registered as read, especially on mobile. Looks to me like it's looking for the top of the post to be above a certain point on the screen. If it's a short post then even scrolling right to the end doesn't push it high enough

• ♿ (Parody)

@Jaloopa said in Let's make sure we have jQuery:

Looks to me like it's looking for the top of the post to be above a certain point on the screen.

Yep.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@anotherusername said in Let's make sure we have jQuery:

@Lorne-Kates scroll down and find the highlighted post, it's usually a few posts down due to jellypotato. Every onebox above it pushes it down further and NodeBB can't figure out how to un fuck it.

This isn't jellypotatoeoeos fuckery.

The actual "highlighted" post-- the target of the link-- the post that if jellypotato didn't exist would have been scrolled to-- was the one three before my post.