Waze Wars

• BINNED

@FrostCat said in Waze Wars:

Except that the rest of the country doesn't bother with the H--it would just be I-635 anywhere else you go.

Sure. I guess I-75 is a bigger deal for me because there really is an I-75 where I moved from (Detroit).

• @Groaner said in Waze Wars:

Starting from the low $600's!

That's slum territory here.

• @dcon said in Waze Wars:

@Groaner said in Waze Wars:

Bay Area? Doesn't surprise me. I looked at apartment prices over there a while ago and saw listings for $4k/month apartments in Mountain View, but I also saw much more reasonable offerings in the East Bay.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dcon said in Waze Wars:

@Groaner said in Waze Wars:

Sponging off the government pays well but not that well.

• @blakeyrat

Hell, it didn't snow 2015/2016. Not even in Bellingham, the north-most city.

It snowed 2 or 3 times in Everett. Granted, only one of those left snow on the ground for more than a few minutes, and it wasn't much of an accumulation, but it did snow.

• @HardwareGeek Oh good. Pedantic dickweedery.

It didn't snow enough TO AFFECT DRIVING.

• Impossible Mission - B

@blakeyrat said in Waze Wars:

@HardwareGeek Oh good. Pedantic dickweedery.

No, no, you see, that's the whole point of the 30/30 theory. Even that much is enough to affect driving, even though it shouldn't be.

@HardwareGeek Did it screw up driving? (I'm not living in Western Washington anymore, so I don't actually know.)

• @blakeyrat said in Waze Wars:

@HardwareGeek Oh good. Pedantic dickweedery.

You're welcome. Too bad we don't have badges for that any more.

True, but that's not what you actually wrote, and my shoulder aliens were on their lunch break.

• @FrostCat said in Waze Wars:

@xaade For some reason I am feeling a bit cynical and out-of-sorts this last month or so.

It's ok, you don't have a reason to care about my health :P

• @dcon said in Waze Wars:

@masonwheeler said in Waze Wars:

In Western Washington, everyone's used to rain, but the 30/30 rule applies to snow: let a single snowflake touch the asphalt anywhere in the Puget Sound region, and 30% of all drivers will instantly lose 30 points of IQ. And it's not like it's California or anything

I believe in CA it's the 100/100 rules with respect to a raindrop.

There are many of us here transplanted from places with shit weather who can manage ourselves. Its just there are so many people here, many of whom are barely functional during dry daytime, they overwhelm everyone else.

• I never saw a small road take too much traffic after waze turned into a thing, that didn't had too much traffic before.

This is probably a very rare occurrence, and I bet it was bound to happen even without waze, because drivers finding new ways when one start to be too shitty isn't a new thing.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

When I lived in Tampa I was going somewhere with a coworker, and he hit a speedbump hard enough--he wasn't even going terribly fast--that I hit my head on the roof of the minivan. That wasn't a lot of fun.

If we're going on about that, I once hit a rock with the passenger-side rear tire resulting in my uncle first hitting the roof, and then landing in between the seats.

yes, I was wearing a seatbelt.

He's still learning. 😒

‡: I was coming around a bend in mountainous territory and had to dodge something else in front of me. We were on the inside of the turn, so when I tried to avoid the branch in front of me, the back briefly went off-road and over a rock.

• area_pol

@Jarry said in Waze Wars:

to your solution of the buses only routing if there's someone waiting for them.
    my city has 14.450,8 / km² there's literally always someone waiting for the buses.

Thats similar here.

But I have included this in my solution - a clustering mechanism if many stops are requested.
    A simple version would be that the bus has a constant N of stops on its whole path, but the locations/density of these stops is determined dynamically based on the received requests.
    Then the passengers are notified where the bus is going to stop.

That is not for the general case of all buses, but here the discussed problem is people going between their houses outside city and their work inside. These locations are quite stable in time.
    Each participant would put a request like "i want to travel from A to B every weekday at 8:00", then the system would create the bus paths for a given week and notify the participants.
    Its like a slowly-changing Uber for busses :P

• @xaade said in Waze Wars:

The roads are going to mostly remain public. So, the government has the responsibility to at least lay them out in a reasonable fashion.

It's not the roads, it's what's on them. If you plan a beautiful road layout but everyone builds on the narrow streets instead of what you thought was going to be the CBD your city isn't going to work. People will build where they want and then complain that your roads aren't in the right spot, when according to your plan it's the people that are in the wrong spot.

@xaade said in Waze Wars:

I haven't decided whether I like zoning laws.

Haven't you played Sim City? You need zoning, otherwise your industry ends up too close to your residential, then people whinge and complain.

Last thing you want is for me to sue the city

Then it's a good thing they're not liable and your suit will be dismissed.

I decided to stop with someone following so closely and they slammed into me

The driver behind you has the responsibility of not running in to you. If they do, you sue them and deal with their insurance company, not the state.

• @JBert said in Waze Wars:

Protip: close the rocket's door or it doesn't count as an achievement.

Yes, I read some posts about the frustration with this one so I made sure to close the door last night. Acheivement got! Stupid annoying bloody gnome is out of my hair forever. Also killed a hunter with its own flechettes (they were stuck to a spare tyre I was holding) and a Combine soldier with his own grenade. Two acheivements left in Episode 2 and I think my chances of getting either are about zero. Too many grubs I can't find, and I'm not good enough to stop the striders destroying any of the buildings. I'm barely good enough to win that fight at all, and only after a bunch of attempts.

• @another_sam I did the "only fire one bullet in EP1" achievement recently. It was fun.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@ben_lubar said in Waze Wars:

@another_sam I did the "only fire one bullet in EP1" achievement recently. It was fun.

I did the "can't get past the starting levels" (mis-)achievement a while back. Fortunately, that was just because I wasn't really trying, and just taking a peek into the game. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• :belt_onion:

@error said in Waze Wars:

@antiquarian said in Waze Wars:

@error said in Waze Wars:

I635 and I75

twitch

Huh. I always thought it was an Interstate highway. Thanks for the :pendant:.

I75 is significantly farther East than Texas... it's the N/S highway that runs through Dayton, OH, for one

• @anotherusername said in Waze Wars:

Where is that?

Look at my hat!

@anotherusername said in Waze Wars:

Can you find the applicable law?

It's in this exciting document here:

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/ni/2013-329/current/pdf/2013-329.pdf

On the page marked 40, which is page 65 of the PDF. It just says "the driver can stop safely". The driver's handbook says you can enter on amber if a sudden stop may cause an accident. Neither specify if a potential rear-end counts and I could be wrong about that.

• @ben_lubar said in Waze Wars:

I did the "only fire one bullet in EP1" achievement recently. It was fun.

I have all Episode 1 acheivements. I think I did that one on one of my first plays. Good fun. This time I squished ant lions with cars, set zombies on fire and killed a lot of soldiers with one energy ball. Also their own energy ball, that's a two-fer. That one's just a matter of finding the right spot.

I also got through Ravenholme in the main game using only the gravity gun. That was challenging and rewarding.

I think my $20 spend on the Orange box was well worth it. :)

You just forced everyone to tell the driver when they get on the bus (or use an app/website beforehand) what their itinerary is.

Apart from the technical and communication problems with this, which are difficult but solvable, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with this. It makes buses more like big, cheap taxis. The benefits would be enormous.

Of course, I've already covered why that's not really feasible for me

You have, and I fully expected you to weigh in with more excuses.
    Smug? Me? I don't know what you're talking about.

Do you have showering facilities at the office, or do you make do with a sink (or just marinate in your own sweat all day)?

We have showers but I have made do with a sink at a previous job. The stinky option isn't the friendly option for my cow-orkers.

yes, I was wearing a seatbelt. First time I'd ever been in that car, so maybe I just didn't tighten it all the way.

Dude, how many times do I need to tell you a seat belt isn't a racing harness? The job it's expected to do isn't what you think it is.

maybe I just didn't tighten it all the way

What kind of 1960s shitheap were you in? Seatbelts have had auto-retractors for many decades.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@another_sam said in Waze Wars:

I'm not good enough to stop the striders destroying any of the buildings.

Oh, how I raged the first time I did that fight.

I also got through Ravenholme in the main game using only the gravity gun. That was challenging and rewarding.

That was a lot of fun, yes. It helps to have been through already, so you can pre-place sawblade caches and the like.

Oh, how I raged the first time I did that fight.

Me too. After a few failures mostly from getting the car stuck on rocks and shit I sat for a bit and wondered to myself if I was ever expected to win it at all, but the game didn't progress when I lost. So I just kept trying.

That's where I'm up to in my current replay. Try, try again.

Apart from the technical and communication problems with this, which are difficult but solvable, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with this. It makes buses more like big, cheap taxis. The benefits would be enormous.

It could well be--but I bet you'd be better off running actual cars through most of most cities. I live on a bus route and even at the busy time of day it doesn't get a lot of traffic--to the point where a couple of years ago they stopped running a full-size bus and use a small one now, like airport shuttles use.

Of course, in the name of efficiency, you've undone some of the point of mass transit.

That was a lot of fun, yes. It helps to have been through already, so you can pre-place sawblade caches and the like.

I took Dog's ball with me. I probably couldn't do it otherwise, or if I did it would take many attempts and lots and lots of time.

You have, and I fully expected you to weigh in with more excuses.

They're not excuses. Washing in a sink is too much work, and sitting in my own sweat is too gross, so I'm simply not going to do it. If there were a gym I could use, I'd go out and buy a new bike tomorrow.

What kind of 1960s shitheap were you in? Seatbelts have had auto-retractors for many decades.

It was a 2003 or so Kia Sedona. I may have only had a lap belt. It was 11 years ago.

• @another_sam said in Waze Wars:

I think my $20 spend on the Orange box was well worth it.

I got HL2/EP1/EP2/Garry's Mod/P2 from a raffle in 2010. I would totally buy those games if I wasn't given them for free.

a couple of years ago they stopped running a full-size bus and use a small one now, like airport shuttles use.

Our bus authority has down-sized some buses too (they're called midi-buses). They seat 25 or so, probably 15 standing. But if they could be routed more efficiently to people who wanted to ride maybe they could all be full-size but fewer? I don't know, route planning is really difficult.

But we've also got larger articulated buses on some routes, that seat maybe 60 people and I don't know how many standing.

Of course, in the name of efficiency, you've undone some of the point of mass transit.

Yes, but even running inefficient routes can still increase overall efficiency because people are more likely to ride buses overall if they're more convenient. Once they start using other forms of transport for the inconvenient routes they will use the efficient bus routes less too.

It was a 2003 or so Kia Sedona. I may have only had a lap belt. It was 11 years ago.

New cars haven't been legal with lap belts here for nearly as long as seat belts have been required.

If they do, you sue them and deal with their insurance company, not the state.

If the state made a stupid law that says I have to slam on my brakes when coming up on a yellow light even if I'm being tailgated, yes, they are liable.

The driver's handbook says you can enter on amber if a sudden stop may cause an accident. Neither specify if a potential rear-end counts and I could be wrong about that.

This is what most every location's laws say about yellow lights.

Which is why this whole argument is moot.

I'm arguing against someone saying you have to stop and just let the person hit you, even if you can enter the intersection safely.

That's not the case anywhere where I have driven before.

Hell, let's make it a national movement. Anyone that CAN work from home, SHOULD.
    Not only do you save traffic, save the environment, save energy, you also reduce stress, increase productivity, and generally (I do at least) increase work hours too.

I always get less done when working from home. Apart from having more distractions during the day, once the kids get home from school it's barely possible to do anything productive that requires concentration.

• @Scarlet_Manuka Then you can't work from home, and therefore get to drive into the office.

I'm looking at inverting the current situation, which is a big office with a few VPNs.

Think of office space like those beds they offer shift workers. It's a convenience instead of a necessity.

Alternatively, you could get more done by creating an effective office space at home. It seems the kids would get off fine without you should you not be home.

But, if you find it necessary to be at the office, we have a flexible office space that will support up to 50% of our employees at any given time. Floors/sections are dormant unless a person needs a spot on that floor/section.

Alternatively, think of it like this.

Today you have to provide adequate transportation.

Tomorrow you'll have to provide adequate home office space.

New cars haven't been legal with lap belts here for nearly as long as seat belts have been required.

Just commented to the wife today.

I've never understood why cars must have seat belts... and you get used to that... then you get on a bus...

• @xaade Some buses here are required to have seat belts. Mostly long-distance coaches, not so much intra-city routes.

@blakeyrat said in Waze Wars:

In the UK you have to pay a tax for owning a TV.

These days, TVS are really just.... really large tablets (especially if they support touchscreen).

As usual, laws about tech are pretty stupid, but I think that's just an extension of authoritarian laws are stupid.

Just, find a backup battery, plug it into the TV, and claim it's a mobile device.

Knows not whereof he speaks. The TV License rules are obnoxious (but not as obnoxious as the enforcement people), but they are clear on this point:

• If you can use the device to receive broadcasts as they are made, it counts as a TV.
    • If you do use the device to receive broadcasts as they are made, then you must pay the license fee.
    • You may own a TV (in the sense defined above) without paying the license fee if you never use it to receive broadcasts as they are made. (Examples: you use it exclusively as a display for your game console, or you use it only to watch films on DVD/Bluray.)
    • If you own a TV and obey the rules about how to legally not pay the fee, and you don't pay the fee (your right, given that you have obeyed the rules), then you must accept being the target of what amounts to legalised harassment by TV Licensing.

• Fake News

• ♿ (Parody)

@Adynathos said in Waze Wars:

But I have included this in my solution - a clustering mechanism if many stops are requested.
    A simple version would be that the bus has a constant N of stops on its whole path, but the locations/density of these stops is determined dynamically based on the received requests.
    Then the passengers are notified where the bus is going to stop.
    That is not for the general case of all buses, but here the discussed problem is people going between their houses outside city and their work inside. These locations are quite stable in time.
    Each participant would put a request like "i want to travel from A to B every weekday at 8:00", then the system would create the bus paths for a given week and notify the participants.
    Its like a slowly-changing Uber for busses

Sounds a lot like the old jitneys, which the taxis fought, kind of like with Uber today, except that Uber is better able to fight back.

• @Steve_The_Cynic said in Waze Wars:

If you own a TV and obey the rules about how to legally not pay the fee, and you don't pay the fee (your right, given that you have obeyed the rules), then you must accept being the target of what amounts to legalised harassment by TV Licensing.

And you can prove this somehow?

• @another_sam My brother had this great world-spanning idea for how to make the bus infrastructure super-efficient, super-convenient and increase usage by hundreds of percent without raising costs.

Then I pointed out to him that while his hardware costs were about the same, he'd neglected to budget for the salary of the 3-4 times more drivers his plan would have needed.

I've never understood why cars must have seat belts... and you get used to that... then you get on a bus...

Buses are larger and don't decelerate as fast typically, so seatbelts aren't as necessary.

Fatal bus accidents are usually stuff like rollovers or this:

0_1465478982716_upload-d96ab035-3cb1-4416-8608-0d62decc94dd

Seatbelts won't make a rollover (much) less dangerous, and in that DUKW collision might actually have increased fatalities. (By making it harder to treat or move victims after the accident.)

Seatbelts would help if the bus ran head-long into a big concrete wall, but that virtually never happens.

• Java Dev

@blakeyrat I think anything hitting concrete walls is rather rare? Though I remember this one hitting the news
    0_1465481964491_bus-35892630.jpg

• Impossible Mission - B

@PleegWat That doesn't look like it ran head-on into the wall.

• @anotherusername said in Waze Wars:

Where I am the law says to stop if you are able to do so safely on amber light.

Where is that? Can you find the applicable law?

That is the law in Connecticut, according to the driving course I took there. However, I cannot point you to the code.

• Java Dev

@masonwheeler It did - there's a sort of side area in the tunnel tube there, and the bus ran into the end of it (driver fell asleep). If you look at the ceiling you can see the wall isn't straight.

• @blakeyrat said in Waze Wars:

Buses are larger and don't decelerate as fast typically, so seatbelts aren't as necessary.
    Seatbelts would help if the bus ran head-long into a big concrete wall, but that virtually never happens.

Seatbelts would have probably changed the stats there (~90% deaths)

• @tharpa that appears to be correct, although it's worded confusingly: it's unclear to me whether the statement about stopping refers to the yellow, or to the "red indication... immediately thereafter".

Sec. 14-299

(2) Yellow: Vehicular traffic facing a steady yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter, when vehicular traffic shall stop before entering the intersection unless so close to the intersection that a stop cannot be made in safety;