Gilled Horse Chew

• @kian said in Gilled Horse Chew:

Ok, after a couple years of not playing this, I got the two new expansions and I'm trying to remember stuff. I currently have a lvl 80 plant person ranger, do you nerds have a clan, or guild or something? Does it engage in wars? Of the second kind?

I've been inviting TDWTF people to a guild called Sausagefest. If you want to join, send me your character or account name.

• Finally finished the first "campaign" in the game, which I'd left off 5 years ago at some point in Orr. Gotta admit, the final mission was a bit underwhelming. I liked Zhaitan's design, though.

Over 5 year old spoilers:It doesn't feel like you matter much, aside from dealing with the Mouth halfway through. Killing the dragons is done by gun emplacements, and the only reason you matter is that everyone else is too lazy to press the fire button on them. The first ship had 6 guns and no other npc was even bothering to either fire or fight boarders. Not because they couldn't, they were just sitting inside the ship doing nothing. At least Caithe came around to revive me if I dropped (luckily rangers can also ask their companion to revive them, which is a handy backup). And we were just one ship among dozens, so similar fights had to have been going on in the others.

And then your ship is knocked out and an even bigger ship comes along to save you and actually fight Zhaitan. So if our ship had remained afloat, we wouldn't have even been involved in that fight. Which consists of the npcs cutting off its tail, first, while you fight boarders, and then again shooting with the gun emplacements, which could have been done by the ship's crew. Now, I understand that person sized characters fighting a building sized foe looks silly, so the need for ships and such makes sense. I just wish they could have come up with some way for our involvement to not consist of filling in for a lazy crew.

• @kian congratulations on finishing the worst of the end boss fights in GW2's campaigns! It's all uphill from here!

Yeah, fighting Zhaitan is just "push 1 to shoot confetti" until it dies. Make sure you talk to Ela Makkay in southwest Lion's Arch for a bonus reward and a recap of LW1.

LW1 (although it's no longer accessible due to the way they released content back then), LW2, HoT, LW3, and PoF all have MUCH more exciting final boss fights. Here's the LW1 end boss fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAm6-quWqK0

Here's the music, because the audio in that video is kind of crappy:

Living World Season 4 starts in a week, so make sure you log in after the release on the 28th to unlock Episode 1 on your account for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwxcNTGWVm4

For anyone who doesn't own Path of Fire but is thinking they might get it in the future, logging in unlocks Living World episodes even if you don't have the expansion you need to access them, so you can save some money down the line when you do decide to get Path of Fire just by logging in in a week from now.

Now, I understand that person sized characters fighting a building sized foe looks silly, so the need for ships and such makes sense.

The ships didn't work the second time around. I won't spoil personal story stuff, but here's an open world boss fight I'm willing to show you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq6Ng3is6so

• @ben_lubar bought the two expansions, so I should be covered I hope.

@ben_lubar bought the two expansions, so I should be covered I hope.

LW2 and LW3 aren't included with the expansions, but you can buy them using gems (either by converting in-game gold or by using real money).

• @ben_lubar Huh, you sure? I recall that right after I finished the first mission I had the following LW queued up in the journal, told me to go to some place to continue. I changed the quest to the prologue to the expansion to get the new attribute mechanic working so it would stop annoying me with a message that I had enough xp to level up the thing but hadn't unlocked it yet. Was the last thing I did before loging off so I may be confused. Or it might be that the journal would have me go someplace and then say "haha, pay up to see the thing".

• @kian Since I'm still working on my Personal Story, I can't say this for sure, but my understanding is although you are bumped into Living World S1E1, you can't actually play any of the missions; you just go to Ela Makkay and get at.

• @twelvebaud I looked at it more closely and yeah, the LW1 mission is to go visit Ela, then LW2 and 3 are locked. Started heart of thorns to get masteries unlocked, will visit Ela after. Ran into an issue in the second mission, though, where I was supposed to talk to a character after a fight but the prompt to talk didn't show up no matter what I did.

Mission spoilers:As I mentioned, my character is silvary. So in the mission, I get the choice "go find captured prisoners" or "reinforce position". I was trying to be fair in deciding which to do, so I ask the person supporting abandoning the prisoners and they're like "They're silvary and silvary are traitorous bastards, screw them". Yeah lady, that's not gonna fly.

Will have to look into how everyone messed up the world so badly in LW2 that they don't like my race any more. Seems like some weird thing with the plant dragon controlling them? At least the "weak willed" ones. Going to have to gather gems to unlock that thing. Good thing is I'm paying for gameplay with gameplay, so not complaining.

What surprises me is how everyone likes airships so much. They're big, slow targets and only stay afloat with magic gas bags. Not exactly something you want to be in a shooting battle on.

• Free stuff in the gem store this week:

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/933410135569059843

Log in on the 23rd, 24th, and 25th, press O, and go to the promotions tab for 100% off a specific item each day.

Will have to look into how everyone messed up the world so badly in LW2 that they don't like my race any more.

The world getting messed up happened in LW1.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/I5BRzMoIEOA?v=3&start=478&end=540

LW2 ended with this teaser for Heart of Thorns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Vfjr6vSsc

And here's my summary:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/718t9e/a_quick_summary_of_the_sylvari_plot_so_far/

• Ugh, I really don't get why some crafting system demand "leveling up" separately from say, character level. What benefit is there in making me craft one hundred crappy gloves so I can craft 100 slightly less crappy gloves so I can then craft 100 decent gloves before crafting 100 awesome gloves so I can finally craft the armor I want? The things don't sell for even a fraction of what the resources cost, since the only reason anyone makes them is to level up the skill. And then making the game breaking stuff still takes a ridiculous amount of resources, so why make me waste time building up to being able to waste more time?

They make dumb system like "discovery", somehow not understanding how the internet works despite their game being an ONLINE GAME ITSELF. Not that they're the only ones guilty of that, Skyrim also forced me to craft a million iron daggers before it let me craft the dragon bone armor I wanted. As if crafting a million daggers was an interesting choice.

Make the resources for the cool stuff rare or put them behind dungeons and quests, don't put them behind me somehow raising a million gold to pay for the resources to level up the stupid skill.

• @kian What are you trying to craft? Doing the Path of Fire story will give you a full set of free rare gear on each character you do it on, and Heart of Thorns story gives you a bunch of random exotic pieces.

If you need exotic gear, it'll be a lot cheaper to buy it from the trading post than to level up your crafting all the way. Crafting is only needed for ascended and legendary stuff, pretty much.

• https://twitter.com/that_shaman/status/934404894638866432

Don't forget your 100% off action figure ticket from the gem store today! Push o in the game, select Promotions, and buy the 0 gem item!

• 0_1511843331255_59bb988f-8def-4ee7-84a4-eb0d7aa9a958-image.png

• Hey Monty Python fans, here's a little reference for you!

0_1511925368939_10775716781239566336_20171128164304_1.png

• Minor location name-based spoilers

Ok, so I just did the Palawadan (open world) raid meta-event that happens every 2 hours at dusk in the Domain of Istan. One of the bosses you fight is Lady Faizah, who looks like this (sorry about the video, I didn't get a chance to take a screenshot):

WARNING: LOUD NOISES

https://www.youtube.com/embed/JqZe9V1ze9A?v=3&start=375&end=402

After the event, the arena you fought her in looks like this:

0_1512015472707_10775716781239566336_20171129220543_1.png

And in Dark Souls 3, there's this boss:

WARNING: INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fN1HWRw4z0

Which is why I asked one of the writers this:

https://twitter.com/BenLubar/status/936081770285617152

• Tyria3D map data mining

0_1512103962673_4de595a5-0abf-4b6d-bc95-928a8de702f2-image.png

0_1512104114742_d4006558-cd51-4d92-ac4e-e0de8f585448-image.png

0_1512104190909_f0673c29-f233-4cc6-961e-b760d32261ad-image.png

0_1512104444384_d9b31d44-7bd1-44e5-8161-6867ec377245-image.png

• @ben_lubar said in Gilled Horse Chew:

If you need exotic gear, it'll be a lot cheaper to buy it from the trading post than to level up your crafting all the way. Crafting is only needed for ascended and legendary stuff, pretty much.

"Leveling crafting is crazy expensive but it doesn't matter because it's useless outside of a narrowly defined use case" is not a great defense of the system. Arena net used the money I payed them to hire people to design and implement a boring, frustrating system of limited use, and I'm going to complain about it.

As for why I want to level it, mostly because it's there. It has numbers and making the numbers bigger is the whole point of MMOs. I mean, I can spend time in pvp, wvw, or missions, but all of that produces loot and the only way to spend the loot is crafting. I already have yellow armor, I could save to buy the next level up armor, but then I'd be financing other people's crafting addiction instead of mine.

@ben_lubar said in Gilled Horse Chew:

"Leveling crafting is crazy expensive but it doesn't matter because it's useless outside of a narrowly defined use case" is not a great defense of the system. Arena net used the money I payed them to hire people to design and implement a boring, frustrating system of limited use, and I'm going to complain about it.

Leveling crafting is NOT crazy expensive. Let me put it this way: according to GW2Crafts.net, you can level from 1 to 400 weaponsmithing and then the rest of the way to the level cap for a little over 56½ gold. Crafting Zojja's Blade costs a little over 46 gold, and Zojja's Blade is a best-in-slot sword.

If you wanted to craft an exotic sword with the same stat weights instead, you'd only spend 22⅓ gold on training and then you could craft the sword for 3¾ gold instead of buying it from another player for 4¾ gold.

Plus, if you have multiple characters, you only need each crafting skill on one character. So that's 56½ gold to train your weaponsmith character to grandmaster, and then you can craft as many best-in-slot physical weapons as you want for all of your characters.

• 0_1517971482214_17629227508857569280_20180206204323_1.png

For the rest of February, all GW2 players (including free accounts) can get an infinite love potion (self-targeted only; sorry Mr. Huxtable) and a very small German shepherd by following these instructions:

• Enter Lion's Arch. You must be level 35 or have purchased the game to do this. You will receive an item named Endless Friendship Tonic.
    • Set off 88 fireworks. The cheapest ones are less than half a silver each. You will receive a very tiny German shepherd.

Additionally, you can get a sentient cactus dressed as a dog by completing a race around Divinity's Reach in under three and a half minutes. This is pretty easy with a mount. If you don't own Path of Fire, you can rent a mount at the start of the race track for 10 silver.

• https://youtu.be/WfhgtA_JAK0

Holy shit that's a good trailer

• Not gonna post any spoilers, but OH GOD THAT WAS A GOOD LIVING WORLD EPISODE.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of a skimmer swimming into a strong current that will push it backwards.

0_1520487672435_13893274644795883520_20180305222113_1.png

Yes, that is a solid wall of ice in front of me. Yes, the "strong current" takes up an amount of space smaller than the waypoint icon on the map.

• 0_1521695025408_17629227508857569280_20180322000310_1.png
    1_1521695025408_17629227508857569280_20180321235947_1.png

• oh I almost forgot

0_1521695293682_17629227508857569280_20180322000745_1.png

• The remaining parts I need for the legendary tiger-themed shortbow Chuka and Champawat
    Coins for the coins god
    Blood for the blood god
    Sacs for the sacs god
    Totems for the totems god
    Piles of crap for the piles of crap god
    Claws for the claws god
    Scales for the scales god
    Bones for the bones god
    Fangs for the fangs god
    Give 100 gold to a large cold man
    Spend 8 hours in a 3-way war in the mists (this week the red team is French)
    Some kind of weird magical gem thing I have 10 of but need 250 and also requires killing the elder dragon that controls the entire jungle multiple times

• 0_1528740539959_Guild Wars 2 6_9_2018 7_03_54 PM (0-00-05-25).png
    Big bad wolf has finished Granny, now he's coming for you! (With his own barbecue on his back, too!)

• @twelvebaud said in Gilled Horse Chew:

0_1528740539959_Guild Wars 2 6_9_2018 7_03_54 PM (0-00-05-25).png
    Big bad wolf has finished Granny, now he's coming for you! (With his own barbecue on his back, too!)

Is Granny named BLIGHTGHAST THE PLAGUEBRINGER?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/8/86/Tequatl_the_Sunless.jpg

• Yesterday, I opened a black lion chest with a key I got from a story mission and it had 3 golden black lion keys in it.

I opened three more chests using the golden (guaranteed rare item) keys and got (in reverse order) a bow skin that I sold, an account-bound focus skin I'll probably never use, and...

0_1528741557247_17420538754501705728_20180611132535_1.png

I think one of @accalia's relatives got stuck in the box somehow.

Shrine Guardian has joined the party!

If I were to have bought that mount with real money, it would cost $25/€25/£21.25. Thanks for the early birthday present, RNGesus!

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAdcvUmzhPA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

0_1531870721316_08779212-b932-4571-aeed-a6ab15ade36c-image.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@ben_lubar
    Yes, this is definitely a run screaming in terror and find a better game to play moment :trollface:

• So I finally made it to tier 4 in Verdant Brink.

0_1535326719052_e2adc810-909b-4213-985e-ac995e8da15f-image.png

This requires defending 20 camps from the Mordrem for most of the night and then finishing all five boss fights: axe man, gay frogs, four dudes, mom, and dad.

Without any doubt, the hardest part is getting people to spread out to the 20 camps. Each camp can be successfully defended by one or two people, but I was constantly having to leave to defend a camp that a bunch of other people left to come to the one I was at for no reason.