Al Sharpton

• My company had its regular meeting for all of its employees today. The president of the company was not there today, though he is usually is. There were three speakers. The first was my grand-boss. I found his presentation to be very good and informative. Then there was a woman who might have been one of our customers. Although she didn't mention our product, it wasn't too much of a stretch to connect the dots between what she was saying and how it might relate to our product.

Then there was the last speaker. He started off saying how he used to be a motivational speaker, and I think one could still describe him that way. He spoke of his difficulties in making it through grad school, how his professors didn't think his critical thinking skills were strong enough. He showed us a picture of when he used to date Beyonce. The implication was that if he was the kind of guy who could date Beyonce, then he must be capable of succeeding in any field he entered. He writes books on racism in medical treatment. He also showed us a picture of himself with "Rev." Al Sharpton. For those not in the states, Al Sharpton is a lawyer who sues/extorts people and companies on racial allegations. He is especially famous for the Tawana Brawley hoax. When interviewed later, Sharpton made clear that his only regret in that case was not winning.

After he spoke, a division head explained that the speaker showed that we didn't just want to make money, we wanted to change the world.

• area_pol

@chozang said in Al Sharpton:

He spoke of his difficulties in making through grad school, how his professors didn't think his critical thinking skills were strong enough

This argument is still often used as though it implied the person has some great talent/intelligence but others do not understand.
    However if he was truly superior, he would have no problem doing the lowly tasks given by the limited teachers.
    But I should not expect people who brag about being bad at school to follow logic.

• @Adynathos I would argue that someone who can't focus on schoolwork can still be more intelligent than those around them. Intelligence does not always mean one is not erratic. Still, probably not in this case.

• @chozang said in Al Sharpton

He showed us a picture of when he used to date Beyonce. The implication was that if he was the kind of guy who could date Beyonce, then he must be capable of succeeding in any field he entered.

Presumably he didn't like it, or else he should have put a ring on it.

• BINNED

@clatter said in Al Sharpton:

Fuck you, now I have that terrible clatter in my head.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Magus said in Al Sharpton:

Intelligence does not always mean one is not erratic.

Beyond a certain point, just being intelligent isn't enough as the problems of the world are not all trivial things that solve in a few minutes. You've also got to be able to apply that intelligence to a real problem for long enough to grind your way through it, and being erratic really doesn't help with that.

• ♿ (Parody)

@chozang said in Al Sharpton:

Al Sharpton is a lawyer who sues/extorts people and companies on racial allegations

He's not actually a lawyer, though. Just a shake down artist and highly trusted White House adviser.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said in Al Sharpton:

Just a shake down artist and highly trusted White House adviser.

But you repeat yourself.

• @chozang said in Al Sharpton:

we wanted to change the world

For the worse it seems.

• @clatter said in Al Sharpton:

@chozang said in Al Sharpton

He showed us a picture of when he used to date Beyonce. The implication was that if he was the kind of guy who could date Beyonce, then he must be capable of succeeding in any field he entered.

Correct. He said that Jay Z owes him one.

• @Magus I'd have trouble focusing on schoolwork if I were dating Beyonce.

Just sayin'.

• @blakeyrat No disagreement here.