Hall of IFrames

• It's an iframe inside a frame inside an iframe inside a frame.

• It's frames and cake!

• it looks like some one just learned how to use frames an decided  to go nuts with it

• @Pap said:

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?sid=10&pid=12813

It's an iframe inside a frame inside an iframe inside a frame.

"Hey, this is great! It doesn't make my HTML styles do things I don't understand!"

• There's another WTF: the toolbar on the right side (which contains Sync Toc, Print, etc.) is made using a table in a table in a table in a table in a frame in an iframe in a frame. 3 nested tables for a simple toolbar-like block! Then look at the source of the page that you are supposed to "read": it abuses divs and classes. Heck, who needs consistency?

• I don't think it's so obviously a WTF, as it works nice on Firefox and even Safari. Ok, there might be some minor griefs.

- since javascript+cookies must be activated, the page cannot be validated by w3c validator

- because it's iframes, we don't directly have a nice unique URL on the location bar so we can bookmark or share the current section. Unique URLs are an important feature that too many websites overlook, even platforms that pretend to be blogging platforms ( I'm thinking of skyblog, that is - statistically speaking - hosting the majority of french-speaking blogs. But as one might expect that's also the most retarded platform with the most retarded users. The website is provided by the french radio station skyrock, which is indeed aimed at teenagers )

- BUT municode.com's developers did a nice workaround, as you can use the "show url" button. Okay, that popup is not necessary and urls are ugly ( url rewriting, anyone ? ), but nevertheless, it's working.

- iframes are usually a nightmare when used in conjunction with browser's previous/back buttons. But here, Previous/Back buttons work as expected and that's nice.

- about divs and tables : that's obviously generated code and it could have been uglier. That's not valid code, but it works. By the way, <div>s are not substitutes for <table>s, until we get rid of browsers that ignore css display properties "table", "table-row", "table-cell", ... that is, indeed, IE6.

There is a real issue, though : accessibility is completely ignored, which is a shame for a government website. But then again, it's by far not the most embarrassing website I've seen.

• that site feels familiar, somehow...

• as for fun with iframes, take a peek into the DOM structure the javascript from gmail generates.

• @PSWorx said:

as for fun with iframes, take a peek into the DOM structure the javascript from gmail generates.

wow. I knew google used "old school" AJAX, that is, importing data via iframes instead of XmlHttpRequest, but I didn't expect to use it so intensely. IFrames are necessary for file upload without reloading. Well I guess it's OK as long as the history is not polluted and the "previous" button works as expected.

By the way, it seems non-geek people tend to prefer hotmail's interface.