More Windows 10 auto-update auto-reboot nonsense

• area_can

@Gurth I think the silver lining in all this is that people are learning that having a computer automatically do everything for you means that you no longer control it

I'm waiting for the same realization to hit people when they learn about online services

• FoxDev

@Gurth And one more thing to learn: always check your systems are fully functional before you need to rely on them.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Gurth
    He missed the most important step!
    Do a freaking dry run the night before!
    And schedule the computer to be on from Tuesday through Saturday of Patch Tuesday week (or summat, you obviously don't need the whole interval, but it's sooooooooooooooooooooooo trivial to pick a 2-3 day window and just let it sit there and the whole thing sorts itself well in advance of your services).

tl;dr: Church Technology Team is run by a dude that just wants MS off his lawn, too lazy to actually apply best practices, Christmas Service Disaster results.

• @izzion said in More Windows 10 auto-update auto-reboot nonsense:

And schedule the computer to be on from Tuesday through Saturday of Patch Tuesday week (or summat, you obviously don't need the whole interval, but it's sooooooooooooooooooooooo trivial to pick a 2-3 day window and just let it sit there and the whole thing sorts itself well in advance of your services).

tl;dr: Church Technology Team is run by a dude that just wants MS off his lawn, too lazy to actually apply best practices, Christmas Service Disaster results.

Bollocks. The computer is meant to be my servant, not the inverse.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@RaceProUK said in More Windows 10 auto-update auto-reboot nonsense:

@Gurth And one more thing to learn: always check your systems are fully functional before you need to rely on them.

Doesn't help if it doesn't decide until the moment when you want to use it that it is the moment it wants to stop working for you and start doing its own business instead. The problem is precisely when a computer insists on putting its own needs before those of its owner.

The problem is compounded by the updating process being rather slow.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@cabrito
    Nonsense. It's not a servant, it's a tool. And just like no one should go climbing without checking their carabiners, or try to chop down a tree without sharpening their axe, you need to run through a proper maintenance and pre-test schedule for your computers being used in critical production support.

Otherwise you deserve the result you get, whether that's a Darwin Award (in the case of the carabiner or axe) or a Christmas service without your multimedia rig.

• @Gurth Slightly related: I read it from another forum a few days ago when some people responding to note about "WTF Win10 update even make sense to a notebook that just for powerpoint presentation".

"It teaches people that if the sole purpose of the notebook is to make presentation and you should never need to update it, the notebook should never be allowed online".

You have to admit that there's some level of truth in that statement. If you never give it a chance to connect to update catalog, or a peer that have it (Win10 update also tries to get update distributed by peer network), it'll never know there are updates pending. And it'll also not have chance of infected by virus that spread on the network so there's no problem.

• @izzion said in More Windows 10 auto-update auto-reboot nonsense:

just like no one should go climbing without checking their carabiners, or try to chop down a tree without sharpening their axe, you need to run through a proper maintenance and pre-test schedule for your computers being used in critical production support.

True, with the difference that carabiners don’t suddenly say when you’re halfway up the mountain with a rope through them, “Time to test my functionality by opening and closing a few times.”

@cheong said in More Windows 10 auto-update auto-reboot nonsense:

"It teaches people that if the sole purpose of the notebook is to make presentation and you should never need to update it, the notebook should never be allowed online”.

Not too many average users will do that without an experience similar to the above, I have this feeling.

@Gurth said in More Windows 10 auto-update auto-reboot nonsense:

True, with the difference that carabiners don’t suddenly say when you’re halfway up the mountain with a rope through them, “Time to test my functionality by opening and closing a few times.”

Precisely. It's OK to have the OS nag plenty about updating. It's not OK to do the update and stop the user in what they are doing. Installing an update without user intervention is only mostly OK if you can do it invisibly in the background. (The “mostly” is because there are cases where it very much isn't OK, such as when using a very expensive internet connection.)

• @dkf said in More Windows 10 auto-update auto-reboot nonsense:

Installing an update without user intervention is only mostly OK if you can do it invisibly in the background. (The “mostly” is because there are cases where it very much isn't OK, such as when using a very expensive internet connection.)

And it ceases to be invisible when you need to reboot to finish.

• @HardwareGeek said in More Windows 10 auto-update auto-reboot nonsense:

@dkf said in More Windows 10 auto-update auto-reboot nonsense:

Installing an update without user intervention is only mostly OK if you can do it invisibly in the background. (The “mostly” is because there are cases where it very much isn't OK, such as when using a very expensive internet connection.)

And it ceases to be invisible when you need to reboot to finish.

If it's like Unix systems where when a file is deleted / replaced, file handles to the original file are kept valid to processes that still opening it, and gone only when the last process that has open handle to the file closes it, for most part of the OS the update process can be invisible.

Afterall, the most common reason that a reboot is required for update is that, the file you're going to update is locked by another processs.

But I can imagine switching filesystem behaviour like that is going to break assumption of a lot software, say some applications that assumes the same version of DLL got loaded when the application is running.

• @loopback0 Yes, people still do it, but it's usually not to gain more performance, it's to make the graphics have more contrast to improve your ability to see important things, and lower graphics always tend to clear away superfluous effects to make the important things stand out. Quake Live actually has settings built in to the game to accommodate this, because any Quake 3 Arena player back in the day who was "serious" about deathmatch turned off a bunch of settings (and maybe even installed a few mods, depending on the server) in order to make sure they spotted enemy players and projectiles as quickly as possible. The popular PVP-survival game "Rust" actually had a recent update where they enforced a minimum shadow rendering distance because the developers find it rather unfair that players with decent PCs have to turn off their shadows to be able to compete with everyone else. Unfair to people with crappy PCs? Maybe, but Rust is the kind of game that would benefit a lot gameplay-wise from the concept of being able to hide in shadows.

EDIT: "8 MONTHS LATER"... well that's what I get for not paying attention.

@CrazyEyes said in More Windows 10 auto-update auto-reboot nonsense:

The popular PVP-survival game "Rust"

Thought that was a programming language whose adherents think it is vastly more popular than anyone else is letting on…

• @CrazyEyes said in More Windows 10 auto-update auto-reboot nonsense:

Rust is the kind of game that would benefit a lot gameplay-wise from the concept of being able to hide in shadows.

No idea what FPS this second-hand anecdote is about, but someone I used to know once told me he used to play it on his high-end game PC, and a tactic he used a lot was to hide behind bushes to try and ambush other players. However, he found he was getting shot himself much more than he thought he would. Eventually he discovered that it was because players with lower-spec PCs turned down the game world detail, and that made the bushes disappear from their screens completely.

• area_can

@dkf rust gave sight to the blind!

• Mine reboot was because BT device,when I remove it ,no more reboot :)

• Notification Spam Recipient

@subert Welcome to the forums?

• @Gurth I've heard of that happening in War Thunder. It's not even the third biggest WTF in War Thunder, though.

• @Chromatix Is that about ten years old? Since I was told this story ca. 2008.