ImageShack wtf

• So is hotlinking allowed or not? 

[img]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6513/imageshackfz8.png[/img]

• It's like  Schrodinger's cat. Hot linking allowed until you observe it.

• Oh noes, the free image hosting company doesn't want to become the dumping ground for cat picture image macros! What monsters!

The WTF is clearly that they want to actually have people visit their site to see the image! How horrible! How dare they not donate all of their bandwidth!

Honestly, grow up and buy some webspace. Dreamhost offers a lollercoaster of bandwidth for $8/mo. 1.765TB/mo (with a T!) transfer, 176.5GB storage, Shell accounts, mysql databases, email, php, and so on, and so forth.

• @Volmarias said:

Oh noes, the free image hosting company doesn't want to become the dumping ground for cat picture image macros! What monsters!

The WTF is clearly that they want to actually have people visit their site to see the image! How horrible! How dare they not donate all of their bandwidth!

Honestly, grow up and buy some webspace. Dreamhost offers a lollercoaster of bandwidth for $8/mo. 1.765TB/mo (with a T!) transfer, 176.5GB storage, Shell accounts, mysql databases, email, php, and so on, and so forth.

While I agree with what you're saying, the point here is that the text of that no-hotlinking-image (coming from an imageshack domain) says:

"No hotlinking allowed. Hotlinking okay at imageshack!"

Which, at the very least, seems to ask for an explanation. 

• @dhromed said:

While I agree with what you're saying, the point here is that the text of that no-hotlinking-image (coming from an imageshack domain) says:

No, it doesn't. It says "No hotlinking allowed for this domain"

• @sycro said:

@dhromed said:

No, it doesn't. It says "No hotlinking allowed for this domain"

Text from the image: 

Hotlinking has been disabled for this domain.

Visit ImageShack.us for Free Image Hosting with no watermarking or compression, Hotlinking OK No SignUp! ImageShack.us

(emphasis mine) i.e. you can do it, but not at certain websites

• It remains a WTF. Since the text says "Hotlinking OK" not "Hotlinking usually OK" or suchlike.

• You know, all of these quibbles over hotlinking being allowed or not, with specific domains being blocked, would all be cleared up if you read the terms and conditions printed on the frog's butt.

Not that I know what radioactive orange frogs have to do with image hosting anyway. 

• @Volmarias said:

That image is the real WTF. Obviously, he should have used the derivative instead of an integral.

• @Otterdam said:

Text from the image: 

Hotlinking has been disabled for this domain.

Visit ImageShack.us for Free Image Hosting with no watermarking or compression, Hotlinking OK No SignUp! ImageShack.us

(emphasis mine) i.e. you can do it, but not at certain websites

I wouldn't be surprised if that is supposed to say "Hotlinking OK On SignUp!" but was only subjected to the usual "my spell-checker passed it" school of proofreading.

But then, I have a very low opinion of the proofreading skills of the average IntarWeb writer.

• @Volmarias said:

Puh-LEASE! As long as you're quasi-spamming your Dreamhost referrer ID out there (Mr. 192221), you might as well give people a discount code. My favorite is presently PYXY (which should be $95 off most plans at signup - and which will pay me $2 - and if you really want to, you can Google up a code get the extra $2 off as well...)

• @fennec said:

@Volmarias said:

Puh-LEASE! As long as you're quasi-spamming your Dreamhost referrer ID out there (Mr. 192221), you might as well give people a discount code. My favorite is presently PYXY (which should be $95 off most plans at signup - and which will pay me $2 - and if you really want to, you can Google up a code get the extra $2 off as well...)

Dreamhost is great. I wish I had known about that one a few months back... I used one for $75 off.

• @Volmarias said: