The various levels of all-around dumbassery thread

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

This will mean less to non-Americans[1], but a client just emailed me today looking for help printing 1095Cs for his company's employees.

These are mandated to have been in the employees' hands by 3/31, because they are "required" for filling out your Federal income tax form. At this point, he might as well not even bother printing them, except that would probably be worse for the company.

[1] unless you can imagine some roughly-equivalent situation in your own country.

• While a 1095C is a uniquely American document I suspect all people everywhere are subject to the burden of taxes. Perhaps they are not however dependent upon the form to know how much to pay. But also why today is a bit extreme.

@darth_llama The 1095 tells you whether or not you had insurance coverage the entire year; if you don't, you have to pay a fine. Most people of average intelligence will probably be able to figure it out without the form, but getting it out on time is still a requirement. This guy done fucked up.

• @FrostCat Fortunately I have coverage so haven't really cared / been impacted by OBOZO's care except for an increase in my premiums and less general coverage. Either way, yeah, not acceptable for companies to not get stuff out on time. I know that individuals can file for extensions. Do companies have the same rights? If so perhaps this guy did?

@darth_llama said in The various levels of all-around dumbassery thread:

Do companies have the same rights?

I have been informed by a customer who almost missed the deadline that the IRS said there would be no extensions (except for the original 60-day one announced in December, almost certainly because the IRS was not ready.)

@darth_llama said in The various levels of all-around dumbassery thread:

If so perhaps this guy did?

Because of what I said above, I really doubt it. Now, the IRS has said, basically, that they're giving everyone who made a good-faith effort, but didn't get the forms right, a pass--this year. So he might get by with that, although I know he had plenty of time to do it on time, because I know when he got the software to generate the forms, and I know others who got it at the same time but have triple the number of employees and still got it out on time.

• Garbage Person

1095-C has got to be one of the most useless tax forms. It appears to be only useful to people who had health coverage for one to eleven months and only those who don't remember which months those were.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@FrostCat said in The various levels of all-around dumbassery thread:

[1] unless you can imagine some roughly-equivalent situation in your own country.

We have a roughly similar situation in Poland - income statement for tax purposes and annual social insurance reports. At work these are otherwise known as the February clusterfuck (as opposed to the January, March or April clusterfucks).

The key difference, as far as I can tell, is that the income statement must be sent to both the employee and the tax office (which makes missing the deadline that much more painful).

@FrostCat said in The various levels of all-around dumbassery thread:

At this point, he might as well not even bother printing them, except that would probably be worse for the company.

A question for legal and/or accounting. I have insufficient knowledge of the U.S. way of doing things, but round here the general principle when it comes to all things tax is "better late than never" - provided you rat yourself out before the auditors come knocking. I strongly suspect that the best they can do now is send them out ASAP and eat whatever penalties come their way - the hurt is doubtless going to be much worse if they don't do it at all.

@GOG Oh, it's the same way here, too, but like I said, the requirement is to get it to employees well before they're due to file income tax report, because theoretically you need this form to file your taxes properly. (IIRC the penalty for not having insurance in 2015 is $695 or 2% of your income, whichever is larger.)

This particular form has to go both to the government and to employees, but there's two different deadlines. The government deadline isn't here yet.