Aus govt website accessibility



  • any TDWTF readers out there who could enlighten me as to what the Govt's definition of "accessible" is?


     



  • I find this funny:

    If you are having difficulty reading the text size on this Website, you can adjust your Web browser settings to change it.


    If you have difficulty reading the "text size", how are you going to be able to read those instructions? :P



  • @Daniel15 said:

    I find this funny:
    If you are having difficulty reading the text size on this Website, you can adjust your Web browser settings to change it.


    If you have difficulty reading the "text size", how are you going to be able to read those instructions? :P

    Eh, it's difficulty, not impossibility.





  • Stuffing an XHTML doctype inside the root of an HTML document. yeah, that's so leet, there is no way this couldn't somehow be acessible...

    By the way, could someone explain to me what the meaning of those //--> comment closers is? I've seen this on several sites now. I know it makes sense in scripts but it has nothing to do with scripts here.

    lastly, doesn't a tag like australia accessibility government website kinda defeat the purpose of the tagging system?



  • @PSWorx said:

    By the way, could someone explain to me what the meaning of those //--> comment closers is? I've seen this on several sites now. I know it makes sense in scripts but it has nothing to do with scripts here.

    first thought i had was that the code was automagically generated - but there's too many other WTFish things to come to this conclusion.

     

    @PSWorx said:

    lastly, doesn't a tag like australia accessibility government website kinda defeat the purpose of the tagging system?

    sorry mate, my bad - too late at night.



  • @PSWorx said:

    Stuffing an XHTML doctype inside the root of an HTML document. yeah, that's so leet, there is no way this couldn't somehow be acessible...

    By the way, could someone explain to me what the meaning of those //--> comment closers is? I've seen this on several sites now. I know it makes sense in scripts but it has nothing to do with scripts here.

    lastly, doesn't a tag like australia accessibility government website kinda defeat the purpose of the tagging system?

    My guess is that it's a voodoo practice. They're so used to doing it this way they forgot why they used it in the first place.

     
    On that note, encasing of Javascript in comments is itself just such a voodoo practice. It was done back in the day to prevent browsers who couldn't handle Javascript from printing out the script on the page. These days, I would be surprised if you can name any browser that displays the content of a script tag - even if the code isn't executed, it's still hidden.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.