Path of Exile

• @Magus I found out they do cast it and they do take damage, they do damage based on their own life tho, not sure how much that would be.

Might go well with a Searing bond totem when combined with Ancestral bond. You do need to lose out on the hierophants +2 totems tho.

• Totems and RF work together, there is even a jewel that gives totems health based on allocated strength around the socket which would work well with the build.

That build actually seems pretty funny. I bet it is good too, especially with two totems both doing RF.

• Soul Mantle looks made for this build. the downside looks harsh tho.

• @Sentenryu said in Path of Exile:

Soul Mantle looks made for this build. the downside looks harsh tho.

Alter a flask until you get curse immunity, and drink it when your totem dies.

I'm totally doing this build next league rather than crit.

• @Magus I'm also liking this, I wonder if the same effect can be achieved with hierophant tho, +2 totems should be a noticeable increase in damage, sadly you can't use that to proc Elemental Equilibrium

• @Sentenryu Not worth it without the immune totems imo.

Here are my characters, though only the ones in Perandus have passives allocated:

VanillaIceTheFifth, PaulBunyanTheThird, and WhiteAlbum are the ones that are worth looking at pretty much.

• @Magus your profile tab is set to private

• @Sentenryu Fixed.

• @Magus you have quite the names for your characters 😆

I think that your champion build for PaulBunyanTheThird is one of the reasons that ascendancy is likely to be nerfed, that build screams slayer, yet champion was best for you.

I noticed you've cast on crit linked to riposte on VanillaIceTheFifth, does that work well?

I think that your champion build for PaulBunyanTheThird is one of the reasons that ascendancy is likely to be nerfed, that build screams slayer, yet champion was best for you.

Only kind of. I wanted to be all defensive, and get some damage from using a 2h axe, with a bit of leech to keep me alive. It ended up working out well, but he's still weak.

@Sentenryu said in Path of Exile:

I noticed you've cast on crit linked to riposte on VanillaIceTheFifth, does that work well?

Pretty much no. It's awful. But it does trigger sometimes, and that means a totally free spell.

Meanwhile WhiteAlbum uses a few good things on Cast When Stunned: her low life means stun happens frequently, and it's a huge pain, but at least temporal chains saves me sometimes and helps with damage over time.

• @Magus I had not noticed it was Cast When Stunned, and shouldn't you have 50% chance to ignore a stun just from having any energy shield?

@Magus I had not noticed it was Cast When Stunned, and shouldn't you have 50% chance to ignore a stun just from having any energy shield?

I don't think that's how it works. Will be worse once I take CI.

An important thing to remember in this game is the damage-life-gap:
    The higher the damage when compared to life, the more X it will do, where X is stun and elemental status effects.

• Elemental effects and stun is calculated based off your maximum life even when playing CI.

The chance and duration of both being stunned and receiving an elemental status ailments is based on your base life before CI takes effect. Maximum Life modifiers such as increased maximum Life, reduced maximum Life, etc. apply to the life before CI is applied. Since this base life value is then overwritten by CI, the only advantage life modifiers provide to a CI character is the reduction on stun and status ailment. - from the PoE Wiki page on Chaos Innoculation

Since CI builds don't take any life nodes (usually) they are pretty weak to being stunned which is why people usually take a passive to avoid being stunned or wear one of the unique items that removes that chance you can be stunned.

Another note about CI is since you have only 1 life maximum you cannot be considered low life for the purposes of uniques, gems, jewels, and passives such as Pain Attunement and other effects that say '...when low on life.'

• @Lathun Oh. Nice. But it's still low.

• @Magus I got my info from the stun page on the wiki: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Stun#Avoiding_stun

It might have changed, there's also several other ways of avoiding stuns.

• @Sentenryu Yeah, it's just that my life is so low, and I have so little else to help, and the duration is so long, it doesn't really help much.

Though yesterday I found some Rainbowstride; Thanks, Cadiro!

• @Magus now that I loaded you char into PoESkillTree... yeah, you have even less life than my shadow had, at 961 I guess most hits are stuns, so even the energy shield bonus is too little.

I'm still looking into builds to try on prophecy, I'm too hipster for my own good.

• I usually spend a week deciding what build to play in a new League. Most of the time a new skill / mechanic comes out that gets me excited but none of the skills released in Prophecy seem to strike a chord with me. Lacerate doesn't even cause bleeding like I hoped it would.

Maybe one of the new uniques will speak to me and inspire me to do a weird build.

• @Lathun said in Path of Exile:

Maybe one of the new uniques will speak to me and inspire me to do a weird build.

If you can get the one that automatically identifies blues, and the hammer that reduces animate weapon duration but makes it animate two things per cast, you could probably do something hilarious.

I'm still looking into builds to try on prophecy, I'm too hipster for my own good.

This is proof that you are this game's target audience.

• @Magus

I was thinking of doing an Animate Weapon build last league because of jewel that lets you animate ranged weapons so that build could actually be pretty fun, I'll definitely have to look into it. Thanks.

• @Magus if only animate guardian always dropped the items on death, I would try it with the new 2 handed sword for unarmed builds

• @Sentenryu You can use Haku's crafting bench to make it drop one on death, but yeah, it isn't meant to be used that way I guess.

• @Magus not on unique items tho, the sword is unique.

Also, I don't think the guardian can get rampage anyway

• @Sentenryu There's no way it'd kill enough anyway.

• Here are my characters if you're interested: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/lathun/characters

Most of my characters don't have builds because I logged into them to find micro-transactions but Weaver_is_my_Waifu is my Perandus character.

• @Lathun Your characters are private like mine were.

• @Lathun You guys have been playing for a long time haven't you? with those names...

• @Magus said in Path of Exile:

@Lathun Your characters are private like mine were.

Oh, I can't even fix it from work :/ I thought I changed it to public last night but I might have no hit apply.

@Lathun You guys have been playing for a long time haven't you? with those names...

My brother started playing in beta and it looked fun enough that when the next league started (Domination) I decided to give the game a shot. I've always liked ARPGs so it worked out well.

I usually burn out and stop playing for a while and then come back when a new league starts.

My character right now is level 87 and I haven't played in about a month or so (maybe more at this point), I got unlucky and ran out of high level maps so I decided to take a break.

• @Lathun PoE was my first ARPG, never played diablo.

People have also recommended Torchlight to me, and I've taken a look at grim dawn, but there's something about PoE that attracts me.

I kinda feel lost due to the huge difference between PoE and other tipical rpgs, like the currency system and the passives. I both love and hate the passive tree. Love because I can pick a character and do anything I would like with it (kinda like bethesda games) and hate because I get no guidance.

The ascendancy classes help a lot with that, now I can look at them to decide which exile to choose when creating a character.

What doesn't help a lot is that my attention span declines as I play and I soon find myself wanting to create another character.

• @Sentenryu I played Grim Dawn, I beat normal or whatever and stopped playing in order to play the new PoE league. I think PoE just looks and feels a little better gameplay wise.

PoE is definitely overwhelming at first and a lot of the interactions are wonky - like RF being a degen and not counting as being hit as you mentioned. The diffierent multipliers (More, less, increased, reduced), the way mana regen is based off of your max mana and stuff like that is really confusing at first. I had my brother explain most of it to me when I first started luckily.

For example Clarity is usually leveled to a certain point and then you stop because the mana regen isn't worth the mana loss, if my brother hadn't explained how mana regen works to me I would have just kept leveling it and have reserved like 300 mana.

I guess it helped my first build was a summoner so all the nodes I wanted were easy to find, and the only other thing I wanted was life. My second character took way more planning since I was doing a dual strike CI crit dagger build - I needed to know which dagger nodes to take mathematically and which ones not to take.

There are so many active skill gems and so many passives that are interesting it will be a long long time before I run out of builds to do. I also like PoE because when you get a build enabling unique it feels really good, while in a game like d3 they kind of expect you to have a full Set which takes way less time to get compared to getting a Voltaxic in PoE for example (going by the drop rates and availibility)

• @Lathun Grim Dawn feels nice to a point, but even tho you can select 2 classes, there's almost no sinergy between most classes, the only exceptions I could identify being Blademaster for a character that is auto-attack based and Conjurer for pets. There's very little overlap elsewhere and it all falls into "good stuff" builds, as opposed to combo builds.

So far I don't think I have found any build enabling uniques, the closest one I've found is Shackles of the Wretched, but I can't find a build that can use it. Unless self freeze Juggernaut is a thing.

• @Sentenryu I can always just give you one of those facebreakers... That one we found yesterday was decent, but i have a better one after all.

• @Sentenryu Use it for a Cast on Death party build, those are all the rage these days. That unique is definitely one of the weirder ones - the one thing I remember about it is you can temp chains yourself to keep some buff / debuff up for a really long time with Juggernaut (I think?). Apparently you can also attack and move while Frozen as a Juggernaut so you could do something with Iazro's Dilemma and Berek's Pass.

A lot of the uniques subtely enable builds, like gaining charges for Flicker Strike (Oro's Sacrifice comes to mind) or Cold Snap builds. Others are a little more obvious like Shavronne's Wrappings enable the Pain Attunement passive to be actually usable (there is a cheaper option but not as good).

D3 has a similar thing but within a week of playing a new D3 Season I pretty much have all the items I need for my build, stuff just drops everywhere in that game which makes finding something cool less exciting to me.

• @Lathun said in Path of Exile:

Oro's Sacrifice comes to mind

My friend is still upset, because he designed Terminus Est, Darkray Vectors, and the Surgebinders, and the first of them has been relegated to a flicker strike enabler, rather than the huge flicker buff it had been previously.

• @Magus we found one yesterday? might have been before/after I joined.

@Lathun there's a reddit theory about a self-freeze build, does not look much pratical tho, specially because of the rider on the item (You cannot be Frozen for 3 seconds after being Frozen) and the difficulty of actually freezing yourself

@Magus we found one yesterday? might have been before/after I joined.

It was in the pyramid, I thought... in any case, it's my third one. I'll probably bless the weak one and give you the weakest I end up with.

• @Magus your friend designed 3 uniques? that's some love for the game.

and some love for flicker too it seens. Would be nice to be able to spam it, cast on crit flicker striker with terminus est? 😆

Or maybe just pure crit.

• @Magus It might have been the temple then, the unique that dropped on the pyramid was Kaom's Sign

cast on crit flicker striker

I hadn't even considered that... Sounds really dangerous, but possibly fun. I think it still works with multistrike, which is pretty much required to be able to keep it going.

@Magus your friend designed 3 uniques? that's some love for the game.

The going price at the time was $1k per diamond supporter pack. I'm still amazed.

• Ahh that is a shame. I really like Terminus Est, good weapon with a good reference. Darkray Vectors and Surgebinders are also solid - I was looking into Surgebinders for my EK crit build. I was using Victario's Acuity so I would get 4 frenzy charges and 7 power charges and 3 Endurance charges from Warlord's Mark.

I probably wouldn't use the Shackles with the self freeze build but you could still do some temp chains shenanigans with them.

• I still need to do a proper conduit/discharge build. Cyclone that casts that and blade vortex, with PCoC - pretty consistent explosions...

• @Magus I see, the FPS destroyer build.

Does discharge use all party charges when someone has conduit?

No but you don't gain a charge unless they do. So lets say you consume all your charges (lets say 3 Frenzy, 3 Endurance and 3 Power) and then they gain a Power Charge. They would have 3 Frenzy, 3 Endurance charges, and 4 Power (assuming they have the ability to) charges and you would have 1 Power charge.

Also even if I have 7 power charges max if I took conduit my allies can only gain up to their max in charges.

I see, the FPS destroyer build.

I already use cast on crit with bladefall, ek, and ball lightning. It can't be much worse.

Sharing just means you gain them at the same time.

• @Magus Isn't it the opposite? http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Conduit

This indicates that once you gain a charge, each party member also gets one. My confusion, that @Lathun cleared up, is that I thought you would be able to use other party member's charges

Suddenly, Harmony of purpose looks greedy 😆

This indicates that once you gain a charge, each party member also gets one.

Exactly; you share the 'i gained a charge' with your party members, so they gain when you do. They're still their own charges. Only the trigger is shared.

• @Magus what's the purpose of conduit in your build then? as a support bonus?

• @Sentenryu Past conduit, there are nodes that add up to a 12% chance to gain a random charge on kill.

• @Magus I see, so it's not the keystone that's of interest, makes sense.