Path of Exile

• I had my level 30 ranger that i left a few months ago, do i apply for the tdwtf guild here, or in game ?
    All my skills were reset, any recommended builds ?

• @swayde You'll want to start up a new character on the perandus league. Post your character name and I'll add you.

As for recommended builds: If you want to reach endgame, try what I did with my most successful character: Go duelist, 2h weapons, ascend as a champion, and get everything related to fortify. Get as much life as you can, and collect a few 2h clusters.

If you'd rather be ranged, try a ranger or shadow (ranger might even be a better choice, come to think of it), and use spectral throw with daggers, with as much crit and attack speed as you can find. Then at 38, get cast on crit, link it to bladefall, and start getting spell damage nodes. Maybe take acrobatics and arrow dodging. Get at least 1.5k life by 50.

• @Magus said in Path of Exile:

Get at least 1.5k life by 50.

How many play hours should I spend on this? Just curious, as I'm always slow as fuck.mostly due to exploring everything
    also name is: Redrethal

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@swayde said in Path of Exile:

How many play hours should I spend on this?

If it is your first playthrough, reaching level 50 can take quite a while. From what I remember, you reach it at the end of Cruel (second playthrough). Since the monster levels are bound to the map, overleveling is not really an option even if you explore everything. I'd say ~8 hours maybe?

I do have some characters. All of them Standard because I don't really like the low level action.
    Most of them are/have been the usual OP builds everybody plays with just minor adjustments by myself.

lvl 85 Marauder: Righteous Fire + Incinerate
    He burns himself and also owns a flamethrower. I am not really sure what could potentially be bad about a character like this. :D
    It was the second RF build I tried and while I kinda miss the Life Leech of the first one, this guy is pretty powerful. Sadly I missed the point when Incinerate + Multiple Projectiles was completely broken. He can still solo clear Atziri if I actually try.

Lvl85 Scion: Dual Totem-> Incinerate
    Played this one during the flashback league. Since this was the only seasonal league I played, I chose this build for the effectiveness on a very tight budget.
    Soul Mantle + The Three Dragons + Incinerate creates a very powerful barrage of fire that deals extra damage because it electrifies enemies.
    This build survives by staying away from enemies casting some totems and repeating this. It falls short against very powerful enemies since the totems crumble pretty fast, though.
    Fun Fact: This was my first character with a alcohol problem. Since she would drink everytime a totem was destroyed (which happens pretty constantly) to get rid of the curse... I think there is a moral hidden here...

lvl 84 Assassin: Reave
    I like playing this build even though it is not my strongest one anymore. Reave increases in range with every hit and this guy hits insanely fast. Fastest Map clear speed I have. He moves around using Whirling Blades which is based on attackspeed.
    He doesn't like reflective mobs and dies sometimes due to connection problems. Fun build, though.
    He has a pretty decent dagger. Not Top Tier but since the best one I crafted so far.
    Update: This guy just flew through the labyrinth. Died only once on his first attempt after I hadn't played him in months. Might want to reskill some of his ascendency points later. Not entirely sure.

lvl 90 Marauder: Righteous Fire + Cyclone
    My first RF Build. He sets himself on fire and then dances a deadly dance with his enemies.
    There is not much more to say to him. He cleared Atziri once... So that's good!

lvl 87 Witch: Summoning Skills + Auras
    She was really fun to play for a while as well. Her playstyle was completely different from every other character.
    She would summon an army of Zombies and 3/4 fallen enemies. She used the enemy type that periodically creates a shield so she could hide from attacks.
    She also casted - I think - 7 different high level auras to power up the minions.
    Sadly 7 auras became super expensive due to updates so I haven't revisited her.

lvl 88 Inquisitor: Voll's Devotion + Mjölner + Discharge
    Yeah, it's that build. You know, the one people believe is super imbalanced and overpowered.
    To those people I say: You are absolutely correct.
    Basically, this guy has super high resistances, pretty much constant flask bonuses, casts ~20 high level Discharge spells per second, has a constant charge generation that help him survive + deal damage and kinda sleeps through a lot of content. He is fun to watch though since he keeps exploding, so thats a definite plus.
    He is the character that has the highest net worth of all my characters, I think. And it shows.
    Due to time constraints, this is the only character that went through the mazes. On all difficulties. While being half asleep... yes, he is that powerful! He obviously took the elemental + Crit improvements from that.

Lvl 86 Amazone: Tornado Shot
    She used to be my first actual build. She was a cheaper version of that build that shot a barrage of arrows and on crit would summon a carpet of death (3 different projectile spells + Multiple Projectiles). That build got nerfed, though, so she became a Tornado Shot build way later.
    One of my few charaters that actually changed builds completely.
    She was kinda cool in the way that she actually cared about what enemy she was facing and changing her playstyle accordingly.
    For clearing she used TornadoShot since that attack just hits quite a lot of enemies for huge damage. For single bosses she used pierce to deal high damage + bleeding.
    Crafted her Bow myself and I believe it's actually not all that bad.

Other less notable characters include:
    My first char - a witch - which was all over the place. She used Firetrap + Fireball to burn enemies. Was not endgame viable (made it to the end of cruel, lvl 57) due to having no defense,

That one character I played on Hardcore that died because the regeneration didn't hold up with the enemy damage.

A Marauder that hits the ground with a giant hammer to make lava-balls appear (I think). Level 44

My most valuable item should be a belt that I think would go for ~50ex...

So... Now that I posted this summary for some reason. I am not part of any guild. I never felt like being in one. But if you want me in your guild, feel free to contact me? I can't promise to play much because studying messed up my time to play videogames.

• So my friend got his Whispering Ice build to the 60s, so I joined him as WandWandityWandWand and we finished act 2. I got some crazy level 65 unique wand that does no physical damage but has 109% increased elemental damage, so my build may get interesting from here on out.

But I don't like that character. My friend who had been playing a generic archer has now started a melee ranger, who will focus on frenzy, flicker strike, and movement skills I believe. Along with that I started an ice templar, which is somewhat okay, and my other friend's new bleed/leech duelist. I hope we play those new characters more, but I don't know that I want to play my templar long. I'll probably switch him out for my physical caster and then my cast on crit build when they catch up with those.

• Yesterday my friend and I tried some maps, with me as PaulBunyanTheThird and him as his whispering ice character. We can consistently complete up to tier 2 maps from what I can tell, so I'm pretty happy with that. I'll be leveling my fire archer a bit more today, with which I am working through act 2 cruel now, having an incredibly easy time. I'm using Frenzy as my single target and split arrow for groups. The nice thing about this build is that bow upgrades are very much available, since to the best of my knowledge no unique bow will both come into my possession and be better than anything I can find.

I've decided I hate WandWandityWandWand, and that my cast on crit build might have been better as a ranger, so I may look into doing that...

• @Magus said in Path of Exile:

I've decided I hate WandWandityWandWand

So you agree with blakeyrat now?

• @aliceif No, I still like the name! It's just not a fun build.

• Java Dev

BTW, about that guild of yours, is that EU or US or does that not matter? I'm on EU, Azyradash.

• @PleegWat Location doesn't matter much for guilds; I played with a friend in the London zone a couple times, and though its basically unplayable, it 'works'.

• Java Dev

@Magus Guess we could still chat, though we won't be online at the same time much if you're US.

Currently up to level 34. Just got to the Ebony Barracks, which is a L29 zone. I'm worrying the overleveling is going to cause me to not take enough defense which is sure to bite me in the ass later.

• @PleegWat said in Path of Exile:

@Magus Guess we could still chat, though we won't be online at the same time much if you're US.

Currently up to level 34. Just got to the Ebony Barracks, which is a L29 zone. I'm worrying the overleveling is going to cause me to not take enough defense which is sure to bite me in the ass later.

Certainly. I'll get home eventually and add you. Don't worry too much about overleveling. If you can get 800 life and acrobatics by the time you reach Lunaris, you shouldn't have any trouble. Just remember that if you're going evasion, you need a large life pool. You will eventually take hits, and spells ignore your evasion unless you get phase acrobatics. You can probably do your ascension now, if you go do the challenge in the Hedge Maze.

In normal, nothing is really hard except the final couple areas, which may well give you trouble, but it drops off and becomes easy again in cruel for a while. Just remember that the most effective defenses are, in order of value, movement speed, life, whatever prime defense you use.

I probably also have a few spare quivers you might find useful, since I can't really upgrade past my unique one if I want to keep my 100% fire conversion.

• Java Dev

@Magus said in Path of Exile:

Certainly. I'll get home eventually and add you. Don't worry too much about overleveling. If you can get 800 life and acrobatics by the time you reach Lunaris, you shouldn't have any trouble. Just remember that if you're going evasion, you need a large life pool. You will eventually take hits, and spells ignore your evasion unless you get phase acrobatics. You can probably do your ascension now, if you go do the challenge in the Hedge Maze.

789 health right now, and I'd held off acrobatics for a bit since I wasn't sure on how the math worked out. I figured taking it too early, with lower-level gear having a lot of other defensives mixed in, it would be detrimental. I do have the dexterity node next to it since I entered the outer ring over that evasion cluster. I was already heading for hedge maze, from a 'do the side quests first' mindset.

789 health right now

Good, seems like you're well on your way for normal.

@PleegWat said in Path of Exile:

and I'd held off acrobatics for a bit since I wasn't sure on how the math worked out.

It's more that it's another save roll when you take damage. Phase Acrobatics, behind it, is far more useful, since it's one of the only defenses in the game that deals with spells. That plus Arrow Dancing ought to keep you pretty safe most of the time, since you should have the speed (and blink arrow) to avoid melee mobs. It's quite fun to reach the enemies that shoot huge amounts of projectiles and watch them all pass through you like fear through a Bene Gesserit.

@PleegWat said in Path of Exile:

I was already heading for hedge maze, from a 'do the side quests first' mindset.

Assuming you finished the other trials, this should be the sixth one; you may have missed the one in the catacombs, since there are no quests there, but once you get that sorted, ascending should be doable. It's much harder in Cruel, to the point that you may be mid act4 before you can handle it, but in Normal it's alright.

• Java Dev

@Magus Yup, about to start labyrinth for the second time. Had to bail out the first time cause I found out how vaal gems work the hard way...

Had to bail out the first time cause I found out how vaal gems work the hard way...

As in, you switched all your skills to them? Honestly, they're really good as just extra skills, but yeah.

• Java Dev

As in, you switched all your skills to them?

Nah, only my single-target spam button.

• So my friend noticed today that the formula to create the Goddess Unleashed has been found.

You need:

• 1 The Goddess Scorned, 20% quality, uncorrupted.
    • 1 White uncorrupted Eternal Sword, 20% quality, with the same sockets/colors/links as the previous.
    • 1 White six-linked uncorrupted Exquisite Blade, 20% quality, with the first 1-3 sockets matching the other two swords (We're now talking 300 jewelers, 500 fusings)
    • 1 Added Fire Damage where the quality and level add up to 33
    • 1 Blind, with the same quality and level requirement
    • 1 Increased Critical Strikes, with the same quality/level requirement as the last two
    • 3 Fusings
    • 3 Blesseds
    • 3 Divines

Ugh.

But you get a really cool 6L 1h sword that does insane fire damage and does cool things when it lights you on fire, and it talks.

• Java Dev

And Izaro got me when he was at 50% after I'd spent an hour in there. Ah well, got some good loot.

• @PleegWat Huge pain when that happens. It's usually worth it just rushing him, since the seed is set for a few more hours. Unless there are reliquaries, the increased loot isn't a the huge advantage you'd expect, since you'll outlevel it all really soon. Though Izaro has dropped a surprising number of really nice uniques for me.

• So yesterday I killed the Vaal Oversoul with Ruthia, my fire archer. She needs more defense. She's in cruel act 3 with 800hp, because I wanted Avatar of Fire and Acrobatics. On the bright side, there are like 20 life clusters on the paths she's taken, so I should be able to get a good amount in the next five levels. Just won't be able to fight Cruel Izaro until I reach merciless...

Also, to those who wanted in the guild: your invites were sent. Accept if you want in.

• Java Dev

Finally, got past the first Izaro stage. That's the first time today...

• Java Dev

@PleegWat And now it seems to hang in a loading screen.

• @PleegWat I may well face him today. All shall burn.

• BINNED

@Magus Face the Loading Screen? Madness!

• what the hell is this library thing? After running around for ages i got nocked on my ass by a boss thingy, got tp'd out, and lost the silver key i'd found...

• @swayde the labyrinth affords ye but a single life, yet the rewards therein are great. Ye shall ascend in glory should ye defeat the king but three times, and shall find great wealth also.

• Java Dev

@Magus You get to keep your loot even if you die though.

• @PleegWat yep, but the reward for success is so much sweeter. You can even redo the enchantment as much as you want, in case you get a "when hit" mod as an archer.

• So didn't play a huge amount, since the server was getting patched. My friend and I played Portal Knights for a while, and then finished the west part of act 2 normal, with me as my melee crit ranger - which is getting to be really good, since I got the Twin Terrors node and grabbed one of my Brightbeaks. Looking forward to Bladefall!

My fire archer made it through the Crematorium in Cruel, and I bought Demonic Split Arrow. Still an awesome build.

• Java Dev

Today's order: Silver key, silver key, gold door, gold key, first trial. And I tend to be worse at Izaro than at traps. But I also still suck at traps.

I don't think my piercing burning arrow has gotten a good chance at him yet though.

• Java Dev

@PleegWat And I died to Izaro. This is not going to be a productive night.

• Java Dev

@PleegWat Progress: Ranged attack totem + blast rain helped me kill Argus (who was a better test subject cause he's in room 1 today). Gives me some hope. That siege ballista is all nice and dandy but it's shit against a crowd.

• Java Dev

@PleegWat ... And I killed his first stage, but the second wiped the floor with me. Too much incoming damage and I suck at evading. Not sure yet whether I need a different build or this game just isn't for me...

@PleegWat Progress: Ranged attack totem + blast rain helped me kill Argus (who was a better test subject cause he's in room 1 today). Gives me some hope. That siege ballista is all nice and dandy but it's shit against a crowd.

!? The Argus is waaay harder than Izzy.

The main thing is to deal with the things that make the fight harder:

If there are green or gold idols, it's nearly impossible solo. Gold, if any were active at any point, they will show up, impossible to stop, in the second fight. Green, you just have to make sure all of them are off by the end of the fight.

If it's the charge dispellers, you have to make sure to only use them when he has a lot of charges, because you only get three activations, and he keeps any charges he's got when the fight ends, permanently, in the next fight.

Portals, chimaeras, and generals are easy, you just murder them.

Elementals may be the hardest to solo, unless you can get a totem to aggro him while you murder the elemental. Once they fuse, its permanent.

Basically, the whole thing is built around keeping the fights from getting harder. They really don't if you're careful. The final fight is just traps, always, so it isn't so bad as long as there are no darts.

That place is way different from the rest of the game, and much less forgiving. I can find someone to carry you through some time if you really get stuck; it's an optional but really beneficial quest, though.

• Java Dev

@Magus It was getting late; I think I was getting too hasty. Hasty people make mistakes. Mistakes get you killed. Not sure what special he had; I hadn't yet discovered they rotate.

• So yesterday I got Ruthia through most of act 3 cruel, and decided to try killing Izzy at the earliest possible moment. I made it to the first fight with no issues. It was the charge dispellers, so I knew it was going to be bad. I got ready, shot him a few times, dodged, and was feeling pretty good, but I knew I was in trouble with only 1k hp.

Then he walked up and meleed me. Ded.

So I went and killed Piety, got my skill points, and then headed toward the Scepter to kill Dominus. My video driver crashed during the fight, so I went and played darksiders ($5 for both games!). But I'd upgraded my gear and gotten some life nodes, so I was up to 1.25k by the end of my session. Should be able to ascend before I kill Kaom or Daresso.

so I went and played darksiders

Wow, so your game crashed and the game you picked to replace it is the most notorious crashing game in the year it came out? Dude, you suck at picking your games! :D

Filed Under: I went and bought a 6L for my Reaver guy.. he now attacks up to 10 times a second... I like him

• @Kuro said in Path of Exile:

Wow, so your game crashed and the game you picked to replace it is the most notorious crashing game in the year it came out? Dude, you suck at picking your games!

It's been fine for me so far. It's not an amazing game, but it was cheap and it's new to me, and I can murder angels and demons alike.

@Kuro said in Path of Exile:

Filed Under: I went and bought a 6L for my Reaver guy.. he now attacks up to 10 times a second... I like him

Are you doing like... multi-double strike? Or are you do something cool like Wild Strike? If you're literally using Reave... interesting. That'd be effective. I'm going to get my speed as high as I can for my cast on crit build. The ranger version is already a bit better imo, and I'll get to ascend raider and get more frenzy charges and onslaught.

It's been fine for me so far.

Well, it might start. I've seen a bit of that game and it has issues. I don't hate it, though.

If you're literally using Reave... interesting

Literally Reave supported by Multistrike, Faster Attacks, INcreased Area of Effect, Melee Physical Damage and Fortify.
    It's an endgame build. It melts through maps with ~3 ex put into it and gets stronger fast!

I'm going to get my speed as high as I can for my cast on crit build.

Going speed is fine, don't forget to get some crits as well, though. The Reaver is currently at ~72% crit chance while in combat... that is kinda enough but I want to push it a bit further. Gonna try to get my hands on a Bino to see how much it increases my damage.

Filed Under: Standard, though. So everything is kinda cheap and fun :D

Addendum: So... going into the final boss room on the labyrinth with a glass canon like this one and then replying to a post is not a good idea.... I learn things sometimes!

Going speed is fine, don't forget to get some crits as well, though. The Reaver is currently at ~72% crit chance while in combat... that is kinda enough but I want to push it a bit further. Gonna try to get my hands on a Bino to see how much it increases my damage.

Currently using a foil and a brightbeak, since I'm low level. Dual brightbeaks are pretty much going to be optimal until my speed is high enough to switch to dual kriss.

Once I hit 38, I'll grab my tabula rasa from my shadow who was doing this build. I've already got twin terrors, which he never got, and then I'll start slowly upward. I keep agonizing about whether I should Vaal the shirt, since the results are amazing when it works well, but it would ruin me to end up with a rare.

Addendum: So... going into the final boss room on the labyrinth with a glass canon like this one and then replying to a post is not a good idea.... I learn things sometimes!

You literally can't go in there without 800hp normal, 1600 hp cruel, 3k hp merciless. You'll get oneshot.

Once I hit 38, I'll grab my tabula rasa from my shadow who was doing this buil

Since I keep mentioning than I am on Standard and you never complained about that... I have a lvl 36 dagger that deals 57 - 183 phys damage I can offer you? I guess?

whether I should Vaal the shirt

No, not worth it, imo. the only 2 vaal mods that are worth their damn on rasa are +1 skills and -mana reserved. and the second is a nieche thing.
    You don't need a 6L for most builds. 4L is good enough and 5L is pretty decent (my first 5L was a Voll's #HappyMemories

3k hp merciless.

I glascannon'd this guy (and keep doing it) So he ends up with 3.5k health. He survives by having huge phys damage and ~1.5% life leech.

merciless

Once you can clear merc labyrinth, the other difficulties are no really worth it anymore.

Filed Under: I should probably stop playing in a bit...

Since I keep mentioning than I am on Standard and you never complained about that... I have a lvl 36 dagger that deals 57 - 183 phys damage I can offer you? I guess?

Nah, I'm in Perandus, I just don't care where you feel like playing.

No, not worth it, imo. the only 2 vaal mods that are worth their damn on rasa are +1 skills and -mana reserved. and the second is a nieche thing.
    You don't need a 6L for most builds. 4L is good enough and 5L is pretty decent (my first 5L was a Voll's #HappyMemories

As far as I'm concerned, any mods would be better than no mods.
    I need 6L, because I'm cast on crit: I need ST, CoC, and GMP minimum, which leaves me with no buffs for the spell. Not including increased critical strikes is crazy, so that's 5L with no spell buffs.

Once you can clear merc labyrinth, the other difficulties are no really worth it anymore.

Well... yeah?

• Java Dev

Finally, managed to kill Izaro stage 2 (with portal support).

Proceeding to the third part now.

• Java Dev

@PleegWat And done, with spike traps.

• @PleegWat Get anything good? Or was that indicating you failed?

I have a lot of trouble with the labyrinth in the harder difficulties because even when he cant kill me, I run out of flasks or make mistakes really late in the fight because I don't have enough damage. Last time I almost beat him, he fused with ice and fire spirits, and I only kept lightning off him.

• Java Dev

@Magus Bunch of currency from the chests, no good items. Level 46 by now, and also completed act 4 this weekend (before retrying labyrinth). I think the changes in skill setup did it - I'm still crap at traps a lot of the time.

Ascended as deadeye. Active skills:

• Burning Arrow + Elemental Focus + Pierce
    • Shrapnel Shot + Increased Critical Strikes + Greater Multiple Projectiles
    • Blink Arrow + Life Gain On Hit
      • Kinda random for support on there
    • Blast Rain + Ranged Attack Totem
      • Loving this
    • Summon Ice Golem + Blind
    • Blood Rage
    • Arctic Armour

Passives: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAICAAHRBfkGIwiJFUMV8CP2JP0wcTB8MgEylDfUOdQ6Qkt4TZJRR15FYlpv8nsUfwJ_K419jb-S85UFmvGbJqCfoSKhpKJApuCn1K_rshm748Siz17PetQj1orZxt2o35jh2-dU7T_0-Prr_rr-yP_e

Unrelated: That onebox is very pointless.

Passive Skill Tree - Path of Exile

Oh interesting. I'd suggest that you grab the nodes under the ranger start the life and evasion ones, up to the notable there. It'll make a pretty noticeable difference. But yeah, that's all really sensible. I'd maybe use faster projectiles on blink arrow (clarissa sells it in sarn) since it makes you move sooner, but either way works.

• Java Dev

@Magus Good tip, I'd been considering those. Just finished up to Deadly Draw, now I want to look at defence a bit more again.