Path of Exile

• Guys, guys! I have 23 challenges complete, so if you guys run into Haast anywhere, keep the instance up and tell me please!

Anyway, yeah, just been grinding maps to try and finish challenges. Unlocked the final labyrinth, and Izaro murdered me as usual, but since every enemy is level 75, you could certainly get good loot there.

The Atlas of Worlds is coming, though! With a league of special crafting! Can't wait to meet Mr Cthuluface!

BTW: Going chaos witch again next league probably, so hopefully you guys will be active and at least one of you will be able to take hits. Gladiator is the best!

• So prophecy ends tomorrow. How many of you got the footprints? Did anyone but me get the weapon effect? The content is being rolled in, but that stuff will never be available again. Not that I personally would mind if they sold them 5+ years from now.

• sekret PM club

I have the footprints at least. Haven't played recently since I got sucked back into WoW HARD. Gotta kill ALL THE DEMONS....

• @e4tmyl33t Well we're now a week away from the atlas, which according to the things in the video I posted above will be pretty awesome. I'm sure my chaos witch will need some help eventually!

• sekret PM club

@Magus Sadly, we're also only a week away from the official expansion launch for WoW: Legion. Then my playing of anything else is probably gonna dwindle to complete zero for a while until I get all 5 characters to the new max level. Then grind out their artifact weapons. Then upgrade their artifact weapons. Then...

• @e4tmyl33t said in Path of Exile:

Then my playing of anything else is probably gonna dwindle to complete zero for a while until I get all 5 characters to the new max level.

AFK invasions can't be that demanding.

• Java Dev

@Magus said in Path of Exile:

@e4tmyl33t said in Path of Exile:

Then my playing of anything else is probably gonna dwindle to complete zero for a while until I get all 5 characters to the new max level.

AFK invasions can't be that demanding.

The invasions are ending with launch.

• I got the weapon effect too. There weren't that many challenges that were hard or heavy RNG based compared to some of the challenges in the previous leagues. I might have gotten lucky with 1-2 challenges but when I was at 23/24 there were 2 or 3 I was looking at as possible to do wihout spending weeks hoping for RNG in order to get the weapon effect.

No way I could be bothered to get the 36 though.

• @Lathun I had 2-3 RNG ones at the end: unsealing the lab, finding beyond demons, and something else. I almost just ground a gem to 20, but I finally met Haast and stopped.

Anyway, tomorrow if you play, you'll eventually see the ominous message 'League ending in N hours' - when the timer finishes, your character will just freeze in place and you'll be unable to interact. Usually global chat goes crazy around this time. And then over the next week the migration will happen, and you'll have all you league stash and league guild stash tabs moved into Standard as remove-only tabs, which in my case means as many as 50 tabs to not have time to sort thriugh. This league I only used like 10 tabs, a record low. I probably won't be sorting, lol.

• @Magus I think I had those 3 too, I did the beyond one (I rolled a beyond map and ran it and got lucky). I was missing one lab portal and my highest gem was halfway through 19 so I could have finished one of those eventually, I didn't have the hit level 90 one finished either so that is basically a freebie as well.

My stashes on standard are so bad. I don't think I've ever actually played on standard (as in made a character and leveled it) so all my stash tabs (usually 9-10) per league are just sitting there. It is like when d3 mails you all the gear from the season, no way I can be bothered to sort through it all. I'm just never going to touch any of it.

• @Lathun said in Path of Exile:

I didn't have the hit level 90 one finished either so that is basically a freebie as well.

It takes considerably longer than the level 20 gem, so it's not worth considering.

@Lathun said in Path of Exile:

My stashes on standard are so bad. I don't think I've ever actually played on standard (as in made a character and leveled it) so all my stash tabs (usually 9-10) per league are just sitting there. It is like when d3 mails you all the gear from the season, no way I can be bothered to sort through it all. I'm just never going to touch any of it.

Pretty much. My friend has been participating in the races this time around and got some alternate art uniques, but I know those would just contribute to the mess. Though I really should just sell all my yellows.

I have yellows so old they have 'n% increased quantity of items' as well as a few other legacy items that don't exist anymore. I could just liquidate most of it into currency pretty easily. It would just take so long...

• @Magus said in Path of Exile:

I didn't have the hit level 90 one finished either so that is basically a freebie as well.

It takes considerably longer than the level 20 gem, so it's not worth considering.

Yeah, I think last league my gem hit level 20 when I was level 86 or something like that, I could be wrong but I think gems gain a % of exp before level reduction is applied? So you can always farm dried lake forever for level 20 gems if you needed to while with levels you can't.

Pretty much. My friend has been participating in the races this time around and got some alternate art uniques, but I know those would just contribute to the mess. Though I really should just sell all my yellows.

I have yellows so old they have 'n% increased quantity of items' as well as a few other legacy items that don't exist anymore. I could just liquidate most of it into currency pretty easily. It would just take so long...

Yeah, I know that feeling. I don't think the currency would really be worth the time either for me since I don't play Standard. I think I actually had more currency / worth in the last two leagues than in the previous leagues combined.

I could be wrong but I think gems gain a % of exp before level reduction is applied? So you can always farm dried lake forever for level 20 gems if you needed to while with levels you can't.

I don't know about that, but I know they never lose any when you die. Whereas at high levels, you lose a lot.

I think I actually had more currency / worth in the last two leagues than in the previous leagues combined.

Same. I even found an exalt again this league.

I don't think the currency would really be worth the time either for me since I don't play Standard.

Standard prices are lower, but there are substantially better items available too, which stands to reason.

• @Magus said in Path of Exile:

I could be wrong but I think gems gain a % of exp before level reduction is applied? So you can always farm dried lake forever for level 20 gems if you needed to while with levels you can't.

I don't know about that, but I know they never lose any when you die. Whereas at high levels, you lose a lot.

Yeah, it is pretty brutal. I had to stop playing one time because I was a couple bars from 90 and died to an off screen reflect rare like an idiot and lost like half a level, which took around 3 hours to get since my map pool sucked at the time.

I think I actually had more currency / worth in the last two leagues than in the previous leagues combined.

Same. I even found an exalt again this league.

I've never seen an exalt 🙁 a lot of my friends have found multiple exalts per league. I'll get one eventually though, and when I do I'll do nothing with it.

I don't think the currency would really be worth the time either for me since I don't play Standard.

Standard prices are lower, but there are substantially better items available too, which stands to reason.

Yeah, plus there are legacy items if you really want one of those, although they tend to be expensive.

my map pool sucked at the time.

Luckily it looks like this is improving, since you can upgrade the level of low-tier maps and give them extra bonuses, and what maps drop is less random.

• So it drops tomorrow. I'm quite excited.

Still planning to go Chaos Witch: Minimum cost, but I can collect items for more expensive builds. Should be great. I'll be in my full prophecy regalia.

• BINNED

I haven't played in a while, and since a new league is starting I think I might get into it again. Any tips for crazy builds? (Ranged preferred, especially casters)

Also, did prophecies get merged to the base game or did they drop it like they did with Cadiro?

• BINNED

Also:
    0_1472840962705_god_damnit_poe.png

It ran at about 5-8 MB/s till about 93% and then it dropped to this. I really hope it picks up again.

• @blek Seriously though, Zana3 is Perandus! And hideouts hold more people!

• BINNED

@Magus

Zana3 is Perandus

What?

And hideouts hold more people!

OMG! DOWNLOAD FASTER YOU POS!

• @blek said in Path of Exile:

What?

Level 3 Zana: Add Perandus to a map. Adds three perandus chests to an area, Cadiro may spawn.

• BINNED

@Magus Ooooh, nice! As Perandus was ending I heard a rumor about that - it's nice to see it added. I assume that costs a couple Chaos, right?

• @blek said in Path of Exile:

I assume that costs a couple Chaos, right?

I'm thinking 2, if it really is zana's level 3. Which isn't bad, considering what can show up in there. Beyond is also available this league.

• BINNED

Heh

0_1472853913475_poe_satan.png

• @blek We got to the beginning of act 3 normal around the time the first person hit 70 - a different person than was first to get the previous 30+ levels.

Chaos is going well, though it's too early to really be effective, so I still magma orb a bit.

• Currently in act 2 merciless with my chaos witch, doing far better than with my last one.

I have some tier 5 essences already, which seem pretty insane. I have two maps already!

• I have to say, I like this game, but this patch is kind of phenomenal.

Particles perform so much better that my friend thought they redid firestorm at first: in reality, it's just smooth for him now.

Just in general, the game runs better, there are nicer tutorial things, more artwork around... it just feels way more polished than most.

• About to head home. I'll probably just finish off merciless and start on maps. Maybe do my cruel ascension.

My friend started a trapper, since bladefall trap is amazing. I'd also like to see how a modern crit build goes, but I already had a crit build I loved, and I don't feel a huge need to try it again myself.

I also collected some good swords in case anyone wants to make a Bleediator (Easiest build by far, will get you safely into maps).

I know WoW just got expanded, and so maybe no one will join me, but this is a pretty exciting time.

• BINNED

Man, I started playing a Fireball Witch for a bit, got to A3 Normal, and then I found out that the build had a pretty massive flaw. The guy who made it was expecting to be able to cast frost wall behind a boss and hit it, shotgunning the boss with multiple fireball explosions - but they fixed that so it no longer works. Back to the drawing board, I guess. Maybe I'll just do another crit ball lightning Inquisitor, I had tons of fun with that in Perandus.

• @blek Yeah, apparently people were doing infinite lightning arrow hits.

Fireball is still pretty great though (Especially with that one jewel), as is magma orb. You might not have to completely scrap the build.

My friend started a trapper (going for poison bladefall with that shrapnel jewel), so I started another AoF archer, this time as a ranger. I'm just past the middle of the tree, just at the end of act 2 normal, and I'm finally using my blackgleam. It's fun as always, but I really love chaos this time. I liked it before, but it's going far better this time. 4K ES, more damage than I ever had, and still plenty more to do.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Magus Poison Bladefall trapper/miners are boring after a short while.
    I played one last season and I killed pretty much every boss in less than a second.

Currently I am trying out an Ice Storm build. Since the league is still new, aqcuiring the gear is quite hard. It's also not super OP so I tend to struggle a bit... so I am enjoying myself a bit.

The new Atlas System is meh. I haven't found a single master in a map, yet... which is annoying, I need the map-station in my hideout.

Filed under: sigh

• @Kuro said in Path of Exile:

The new Atlas System is meh.

The thing I like about it is that it makes mapping feel more like a progression, because you're pathing around it. Otherwise, it's just maps I guess.

@Kuro said in Path of Exile:

@Magus Poison Bladefall trapper/miners are boring after a short while.
    I played one last season and I killed pretty much every boss in less than a second.

That's why he's going for it.

Currently I am trying out an Ice Storm build. Since the league is still new, aqcuiring the gear is quite hard. It's also not super OP so I tend to struggle a bit... so I am enjoying myself a bit.

As in that one unique staff? That same friend did that in Perandus, and really enjoyed it. It ends up seriously powerful.

As for me, chaos spells are fun: they're powerful, but not instant, not too spammy, decently risky yet rewarding... And since you only have to think about spell damage (more plentiful these days) and energy shield, it's cheap. Plus there aren't many valid supports.

The thing I like about it is that it makes mapping feel more like a progression, because you're pathing around it. Otherwise, it's just maps I guess.

Would be if I ever found higher level maps than tier 4.... sigh

That's why he's going for it.

how dare he plays an easy and cheap build! :)

As in that one unique staff?

yeah, that staff and then ALL THE INT.
    Pretty sure I am not the only person going for it, though. All the prices of equips for this build are skyrocketing.
    For example: astramentis cost ~25 chaos when I started the character 2 days ago...
    now the cheapest is 60 chaos... and that one has the lowest possible stats.
    Also, Black Sun Crest with any Int > 12% costs like 40 chaos as well...

Filed Under: I kinda hate the POE-market... but I also need it for the fun builds

Filed Under: I kinda hate the POE-market... but I also need it for the fun builds

If by "fun" you mean "Hold one button and never move until the screen is empty" then sure I guess? Looked seriously boring to me.

Would be if I ever found higher level maps than tier 4.... sigh

I don't fully know how the atlas is set out, because I'm not there yet, but in most cases only two types of map can drop in a specific map afaik, so I would think progression would be easier now.

If by "fun" you mean "Hold one button and never move until the screen is empty" then sure I guess? Looked seriously boring to me.

To me, most flashy builds are fun.
    Also, I already disclosed the "everything dies in 1 hit" bladefall trapper as boring, so there you go.

What I mean by that statement was more of a many uniques in PoE actually enable different playstyles. And having different playstyles is what makes the game fun. In that respect, having an OP-char is part of the fun too, I guess :D
    And sadly since some of these uniques are kinda rare (especially in the early parts of the league), everybody wants all the orbs and item flippers are rampant, the prices get really high.

Also, so far the whispering ice build is one of the most complicated builds I have played. The survivability is high while combat is in full gear (due to insane life leech) but it takes ~ 1 second after I start the first cast to actually turn that way. And 1 second is a long time when there are mobs that can teleport/jump/whatever into you and stun you.
    Maybe it'll become OP further down the line, though. I'll just have to wait and see :)

Sidenote, I talked to a vietnamese guy who actually sold his orbs for real money. It's interesting to see people play a game for money instead of fun. (At least when they are in the minority, D3-AH Ò_Ó ...)

Filed Under: That was a lot of rambling... sorry

Edit:

I don't fully know how the atlas is set out, because I'm not there yet, but in most cases only two types of map can drop in a specific map afaik, so I would think progression would be easier now.

It feels like less maps are dropping right now. And since I can't get Zana, I have to replay T1 and T2 maps... Maybe that's just bad luck, though.
    Atlas in theory is definitly an upgrade to the old map system!

And sadly since some of these uniques are kinda rare (especially in the early parts of the league), everybody wants all the orbs and item flippers are rampant, the prices get really high.

That's the other reason I went chaos first: While there may be uniques that would benefit me, for now I just don't care. I'm plenty powerful, and have been since Normal. So all my items go in the stash, and I can select things for other interesting builds from there.

Sidenote, I talked to a vietnamese guy who actually sold his orbs for real money. It's interesting to see people play a game for money instead of fun. (At least when they are in the minority, D3-AH Ò_Ó ...)

My friend did RMT once, to finish the Goddess Unleashed. He didn't seem too excited about that build in the end.

• Didn't progress a lot today: helped a friend reach act 4 normal, and we both failed at ascending. My archer has avatar of fire at last, so I have 100% phys conversion now. He has bladefall traps and is wrecking everything.

As for my chaos build, I only have malachi left to go in merciless (and I probably will, just for the challenge) and then I'll start on maps properly. Started dying around the end of act 4, as you do with just about any build (most people just never do anything past tasuni apparently, but I don't care!)

So yeah, looking forward to entering the atlas and seeing what the shaper has for me.

It feels like less maps are dropping right now.

Okay, I've reached maps, and can now talk about this: I seem to be getting more maps, though I've only run t1 so far. However, I did notice this:
    0_1473532060771_upload-de496470-9bb0-42e1-8790-35a95a2df5ba

Which seems pretty great.

@Magus
    I have ~35% and it doesn't really seem to make a positive difference to map drops before Atlas.
    I am mostly up to tier 6 maps. But that's only if I ever get drops. 90% of my map drops are still lower tiers (going as far down as tier 1 maps)
    I would really love to progress on the atlas more than replay old maps over and over again for experience... especially since the atlas shows me the maps I am missing.

On a sidenote:
    My character has reached her final passive key-stone and is now for all intends and purposes pretty powerful. The Ice storm build definitly takes quite some time to build up and get used to but the payoff is pretty neat. I swapped out 50% damage increase for increase item rarity already and still beat levels easily. At the same time, I am still not invincible like the chars I played last league. Currently having ~1300 Int.... so that's cool. The only thing left to do is get some more resistances on my rare gear so I can swap out my last rare ring with Doedres Damning for three curses fun.... that'll take a while.

More random side notes: I managed to corrupt a tear of purity first try. That was pretty cool.

Filed Under: Sorry for the rambling

More random side notes: I managed to corrupt a tear of purity first try. That was pretty cool.

I've tried so many times...

I am mostly up to tier 6 maps. But that's only if I ever get drops. 90% of my map drops are still lower tiers (going as far down as tier 1 maps)

So far, I have a few tier 3s, and I managed to get Zana and a level 5 master, so I'm doing alright. I get plenty of T1s, which I currently just merge upward. I'll be interested to see where it goes when I get a couple tiers further in. So far I really like the beach and factory tilesets; this has already been more interesting than mapping was before. Also: I ran an unidentified twinned crystal ore map, which meant 4 unique bosses. That was awesome.

@Magus So, since there are no meaningful updates being discussed here.

I reached a lvl 11 map and cleared it while being rare and corrupted. That's as far as I have gotten in the map System. I also have a 54% chance of getting a higher level map.

I don't know if you already ran into the story elements of the Atlas update. I ran into them twice very early (around 15% completed) and have not since. This saddens me because it was a nice distraction from farming random maps.

The build is almost complete now. I am currently lvl 87 and got all the Jewels I need so far leaving me at currently 1354 Intelligence and around 6.5k ES. Damage is also fine. On my secondary set of equiptment I have a Soul Strike and a 6S bow for fast ES regen start on lab and also blink arrow for fast movement.
    Currently farming for chroms so I can color my gear optimally. Need around 200 more :)

Still haven't found a single Exalt this season. So that's something.
    Most Masters have reached level 6 with 2 getting close to lvl 7... Yay?

Filed Under; I dunno why I feel like giving updates. I should probably stop

I ran into them twice very early (around 15% completed) and have not since.

I ran into two pretty early, and have since seen some purple memory fragments, which has been interesting. I knew the plot twist around the time Zana hit 4, but they seem to be still want it hidden or something.

I've also shaped two maps, which is quite nice really; less low tier ones can drop.

I'm at 6.5k ES with CI, which seems to be enough for the 1-8 maps I've been in for the most part. This build is still fun. My friend seems to be taking a break, so I'm playing a bit less right now.

Most Masters have reached level 6 with 2 getting close to lvl 7... Yay?

Very yay, considering you can invite ALL of them at that point.

I ran into two pretty early, and have since seen some purple memory fragments, which has been interesting.

Yeah, I got 4/7, I think. I hope they amount to something in the end... probably not

I knew the plot twist around the time Zana hit 4

Plot twist?

I've also shaped two maps

I think I am at 4. I like that the shaped maps still have the drop-chance for a low level map, too. So if you shaped a lvl 1 map, you can do another lvl 1 map and find a lvl 6.

Very yay, considering you can invite ALL of them at that point.

I can do what now? Pretty sure Hideout has always been limiting the amount of masters I could invite.

Filed Under: Unless they changed things?

I can do what now? Pretty sure Hideout has always been limiting the amount of masters I could invite.

You can now have 4 masters (plus leo and the prophecy one) at level 5 now, up from 3, and all of them at 7. A nice change imo.

Plot twist?

Well, she doesn't know who the shaper is, but I do!

• So lately, my friend was bored of his character (and annoyed by how easily it died), so he decided to start a new character. I convinced him to do something other than his initial plan: He's a bleed gladiator archer.

Lioneye's fall has him dealing ludicrous physical damage, and he should be able to get over 50% bleed chance, which with the 60% damage bonus and maim should be completely insane once he gets the cruel ascension.

Alongside him, I'm playing an ice hierophant. It's kind of amazingly good so far, and I haven't yet reached the point when I can spam ice spear totems. It's going to be amazing. We killed Triskeriaki without him summoning his... um... 'tail', and I almost completely freezelocked Merveil herself.

• My ice hierophant reached merciless. Gonna keep using frostbolt: that skill, coming from four totems, is INSANE.

• Okay, so, Breach is on the way, and it looks awesome, with demons popping up all over the place, and us going in after them!

I'm gonna be going in full Khorne again, with another bleediator.

As a melee build, naturally it benefits from blade flurry, which I hope won't be nerfed completely into the ground (It has so much AOE and damage, it's currently the best skill in the whole game, while also being one of the most fun skills to use in a purely mechanical sense), but otherwise I don't see it being very different from last time.

I can definitely recommend that ice ball totem build I was playing. It will get you through the whole game with very little effort, and freeze is very satisfying.

That now goes alongside a chaos witch in my 'best first character in a league' build rankings.

• @Magus Blade Flurry looks really good, such a nice 'melee' skill.

@Magus Blade Flurry looks really good, such a nice 'melee' skill.

It's certainly more of a melee skill than spectral throw, since it sends a ghost of you to strike the enemy, instead of just throwing a ghost of your weapon. The problem is, it's so powerful that on a character who was having a hard time killing enemies with frost hit or whatever that forking skill is called, was oneshotting every mob and didn't even see the reversal effect except against powerful blues and yellows. And with increased AOE, it'll kill enemies offscreen. A minor damage nerf and a major AOE scaling nerf could still leave a completely awesome skill in the game, without it still being the best skill in the game.