Chrome, why is zooming so hard?

• Notification Spam Recipient

So I hear all the noise about zooming and viewport size shenanigans, especially regarding Chrome, so I decide to try this myself.

What's the first thing I try on my touch-enabled computer? Why, pinch-zoom of course! Zooming out (pinch) was expected not to work, so let's try zooming in (spread)... looks good, um :wtf: Wait, what? the whole fscking viewport zooms in!

What is this madness I find myself in? It's like I started Microsoft Magnifier in full-screen mode, but the screen is limited to the browser rendering area! Luckily I have scrollbars that can show me my horizontal and vertical position, righ--- No fscking way! If you didn't start with scrollbars, too bad! You're not getting them! Despite obviously scrolling around in an area deserving of them!
    Also because of this, the page doesn't even know anything has changed, the viewport is the same "size" to the page, and no events are raised apparently.

For even more WTF-ery, you can adjust the browser zoom the normal way too! (i.e. using the hamburger menu or keyboard), but this doesn't affect the pinch-zoom view at all!

I get the feeling that Touch on Chrome was a high-schooler's side project that just got merged unconditionally into the codebase. Why would I ever want to go back in history by dragging to the left? Chrome Mobile doesn't do this! You would think that the devs who work with touch the most would be able to give pointers on what works and what doesn't, but apparently not.

</rant>

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Tsaukpaetra said in Chrome, why is zooming so hard?:

It's like I started Microsoft Magnifier in full-screen mode

Except that it's actually rerendering. You can tell because you're not getting the ugly jaggies from the expansion of the pixels.

So, meh…

• FoxDev

@Tsaukpaetra I don't see the :wtf: here; to me, pinch zoom means "I want to see this bit of the screen made bigger/smaller", whereas browser zoom means "I want the text to be bigger so I can read it without squinting/smaller so more than three words fit on the screen"

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Why would I ever want to go back in history by dragging to the left? Chrome Mobile doesn't do this!

Mine does. It catches me out all the time.
    Chrome OSX has it as a swipe gesture too.

edit: Chrome OSX behaves the same with zooming too. Pinch gesture zooms in, browser zoom makes the text bigger.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@loopback0 said in Chrome, why is zooming so hard?:

Mine does. It catches me out all the time.

Mine only does this when I drag the omnibar, which makes more sense than anywhere on the screen not handling drag events...
    I guess it might be because Chrome is running in Tablet mode?

@RaceProUK said in Chrome, why is zooming so hard?:

pinch zoom means "I want to see this bit of the screen made bigger/smaller", whereas browser zoom means "I want the text to be bigger so I can read it without squinting/smaller so more than three words fit on the screen"

So in other words, you'd rather cause the viewport to expand and introduce the wonders of left-right repetitive scroll (BTW, I believe Mobile gets this wrong too) than merely increase the size of things being rendered?

Apparently this is a hard thing to solve for.

• @Tsaukpaetra the pixels get bigger. The viewport doesn't change size in your description of touch zoom. The viewport gets smaller in blakeyrat's description of normal zoom.

• FoxDev

So in other words, you'd rather cause the viewport to expand and introduce the wonders of left-right repetitive scroll (BTW, I believe Mobile gets this wrong too) than merely increase the size of things being rendered?

Yes, because then pinch zoom is consistent with how it works in other apps that support it e.g. image viewers