Office 365 license change is easy

• So recently Microsoft decided that we can't use the "ProPlus" license anymore of Office 365 and enforced the change to "Business Premium". Side :wtf: was that apparently we lost Microsoft Access along the way but no one uses it so it doesn't really matter.

However, the license change didn't really go through that well for me. My Office Account has this licensing information and I'm stuck with it:

fuck you microsoft

Clicking the "Apply Change" button opens up this dialog which does nothing when I click "Update".

:wtf: I'm supposed to do? Will it expire at some point? What will expire exactly?

• Fake News

It sounds like you need to click "Manage account" and check if you can login again, but why it wouldn't simply show you the dialog when clicking update is beyond my understanding.

• @JBert If I do that, it will only open up the "Software" page on portal.office.com in my browser. Would be fun to get it fixed without doing a clean reinstall.

• Dupa

I long for the good old days of yore, when software was built the right way and the only thing you had to do to change license number for Office 2007 was to delete two registry keys.

Now it's all cloud-based, so you need Microsoft employees to do the registry purging for you.

• @hifi said in Office 365 license change is easy:

So recently Microsoft decided that we can't use the "ProPlus" license anymore of Office 365 and enforced the change to "Business Premium". Side :wtf: was that apparently we lost Microsoft Access along the way but no one uses it so it doesn't really matter.

However, the license change didn't really go through that well for me. My Office Account has this licensing information and I'm stuck with it:

fuck you microsoft

Clicking the "Apply Change" button opens up this dialog which does nothing when I click "Update".

:wtf: I'm supposed to do? Will it expire at some point? What will expire exactly?

I think the cue could be the "sign in" part. I think things like account changes would require you to sign in again. Perhep the update button should trigger you to enter your password once but failed to load the UI.

You could also check the upper right corner to see whether your login session expired and require you to login again (I had seen that a few times on Office 2013 when I didn't use my Surface Pro 3 for a few days). Seems they don't stop you from using Office applications even if you ignore that exclaimation mark sign, though.

• @cheong Yeah, but I'm signed in with my work account. It's on the left under "User Information". There's no indication anywhere I would be signed out as I can use OneDrive for Business, Skype for Business etc. normally. And naturally my email works fine which is the Office 365 Exchange thingy.

One thing that Microsoft says is that if I use unlicensed products, the title bar would be red and I'd have reduced functionality but I have neither. Not even Access has that even though I don't have a license for it anymore but it shows I'm signed in as well.

I'm pretty sure the old license has expired as it has been like this for at least two months.

• @hifi said in Office 365 license change is easy:

So recently Microsoft decided that we can't use the "ProPlus" license anymore of Office 365 and enforced the change to "Business Premium"

Why the hell would they do that?

• Notification Spam Recipient

@anonymous234 said in Office 365 license change is easy:

Why the hell would they do that?

They don't like money? Isn't ProPlus the more expensive selection?

• FoxDev

@hifi I had a similar experience a few weeks back when our company Office 365 moved from 2013 to 2016; manually downloading and installing was the only way to stop it moaning. Of course, InTune was meant to install it for me, but InTune is as good at installing software and updates as Edward Scissorhands is at threading a needle.