Mafia V - Corporate Mafia: Mafia 1 Thread

• *** Looking up your hostname…
    *** Found your hostname, cached
    *** Checking ident
    *** Got ident response
    *** Welcome to Initech IRC!

This is Umbrella Corporation’s private communications channel. You’re free to post here during both night and day, unless the rules say otherwise. Any factional actions should also be submitted through this thread.

Each night, you can pick one of you to execute any living player. Submit this action here.

== End of /MOTD command.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Hi guys, it seems a bit quiet in here, so I thought I'd break the ice.

I'm vanilla. My flavour role is web developer.

Does it seem odd to you guys that there are only 3 of us? We're going to have to be careful.

Maciej, rules question. Are we allowed to edit posts in this thread?

• @DoctorJones I'd rather you didn't for Club Ded/post-game analysis purposes, especially since NodeBB has no edit history.

Besides, who knows, maybe there's a double agent among you...

• @DoctorJones 13 players, 3 of us, either there's a serial killer or it's another "easy" game for town.

Let's see how we can still make it hard for them.

I'm a highly paid consultant, but also vanilla.

• How can you tell who else is in a thread such as this? I'm still getting used to NodeBB.

I'm a Tracker.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Besides, who knows, maybe there's a double agent among you...

Thought this was a non-bastard game.

• @heterodox said:

How can you tell who else is in a thread such as this? I'm still getting used to NodeBB.

https://what.thedailywtf.com/groups/mafia-mafia-1 - I think you should have access to see the list.

It's also on your role card.

• WOW, I can't read. You right.

Thanks for the reply Maciej, I just wanted to double check. We've been allowed to edit in the Mafia PM thread in the past, but it makes sense to disallow editing here too.

Well, looks like we're the 3 musketeers. ;-)

Given the number of players, there seems to be a suspicious lack of mafia in this game. I think it's a safe bet that there is another faction in play. Do you think it could be another mafia faction? Perhaps masons? If there is a serial killer we'll find out sooner rather than later.

I just thought, perhaps it actually is a bastard game despite Maciej's claim. I'd consider doing that if I was GM.

Also, maybe one of the townies is a traitor. That'd account for our low numbers.

• @DoctorJones said in Mafia V - Corporate Mafia: Mafia 1 Thread:

Well, looks like we're the 3 musketeers. ;-)

I like it.

Given the number of players, there seems to be a suspicious lack of mafia in this game. I think it's a safe bet that there is another faction in play. Do you think it could be another mafia faction? Perhaps masons? If there is a serial killer we'll find out sooner rather than later.

There has to be something else in play, but I'm thinking it'll be something a little more creative than just another scum faction.

Make sure you guys remember to check in. We can't afford to have club ded meddling in our affairs ;-)

• Yeah, I had a long (and AWFUL) weekend racing to hit a major project milestone (it's like I'm in the game!). Trying to catch up now.

@heterodox said in Mafia V - Corporate Mafia: Mafia 1 Thread:

it's like I'm in the game!

Maybe Maciej will give you bonus points if you're lucky ;-)

Maybe Maciej will give you bonus points if you're lucky

Sure. 5 thousand points for @heterodox.

0_1459181788247_hqdefault.jpg

@Maciejasjmj damn it! Why can't I upvote in this thread??? ;-)

• Forget points; I got four hours of sleep, which after about 36 hours straight of work is the BEST gift ever. Feels so good.

• So this game is having kind of a slow start (I know they all do), and I don't have much to contribute. Any ideas as to how to keep things in gear (e.g. people voting)?

At least I didn't jump into the RVS immediately myself this time. :P

@heterodox I don't think we need to keep things in gear.

The bandwagon has started in the wrong direction, I think we should sit back and let it carry on. It'd be preferable if they lynch the wrong guy, but a no-lynch wouldn't be bad.

I'm going to sit back for now, do a bit of RP, and see where this gun conversation goes.

• @DoctorJones Fair enough (though I find it weird that there's a gun conversation to BEGIN with when a DM basically handed it to a player, though in terms of starting something it worked out fine). I'll try to RP as well, but I'm in open containers (no signals in or out) all this week so it'll be whatever I can manage in the evening.

Basically I'm just hoping to stay quiet this game and with Tracker help you guys figure out what the hidden faction is. :X

@heterodox OK, sounds like it's going to be a bit tricky for you this week.

I'm going to try to keep a moderate amount of activity up, that way we're not going to look suspiciously quiet. I know you'll struggle to do that if you won't have a signal.

I'm trying to keep posting without actually contributing anything too useful or controversial. I'm hoping that the RP will distract people enough that they don't notice ;-)

@ChaosTheEternal said in [PBP] Mafia V - Corporate Mafia:

@Maciejasjmj for @Captain

Nice one @ChaosTheEternal. I'm going to try to stay out of the vote for now, but I will jump on if I need to. It's very early days yet, and we only need two more votes, so it looks encouraging :-)

I think we should start discussing our faction kill and our overall strategy.

There are two strategies I think we could go for. The first is to take a high profile player out immediately; Abarker and Yami are the two that I would suggest, as they've got very good past form. That way the townies lose their ability to steer the bandwagon and make effective decisions. The risk is, the person we choose could be protected.

The second strategy is to take out the quieter townies first, this has less risk because they're less likely to be protected, but it will also have less of a negative impact on their team.

I personally think we should go after a high profile player straight away, that way we get the maximum benefit right from the start. We can then take a lower profile player out on night 2 if we feel we need to.

What do you guys think?

We should also discuss who we'd like @heterodox to track tonight.

I'm less sure about this, because I don't want to risk losing him to a PGO. Considering the risk of losing a third of our team, I'm not sure how much value tracker information would be at this point (as a reminder, a tracker finds out who someone visited, but not what action they took).

Here's another thought to consider; there's also a risk of losing our faction killer tonight. If we do somehow lose our faction killer, and also our tracker to a PGO, we would be in deep shit.

• @DoctorJones
    Yeah, I was going to say that we probably shouldn't try bandwagoning at this point, it's close to the end for day 1 (24 hours or so remain) and either of you voting at the last minute could give it up.

I don't think Yami or Abarker are yet pulling the group around, so we may not need to target them night 1. Maybe night 2, but if they turn into leading the group, them being alive late game can play into our hands and we could turn the crowd on them. Don't count out Xaade, he may start pushing late game too if it's going poorly or if those two are out.

I'd be worried about a PGO too, but if I'm going to consider the flavor text, most likely person would be Captain, and if he is lynched and flips as PGO, we're golden. If not, it's a shot we have to take. Night kills are compulsory (and even if they aren't, it'd be a bit crazy to skip one unless we want to try and fish for intel ourselves, but if anything, we'd probably end up right where we started).

If we want to take a chance on getting rid of a hurtful power role, we need to aim at someone we think has it. Who seems like they're aiming to be "under the radar", whether it is being quiet so people forget about them or involved but neutral so they'd be perceived as vanilla?

@ChaosTheEternal said in Mafia V - Corporate Mafia: Mafia 1 Thread:

Night kills are compulsory (and even if they aren't, it'd be a bit crazy to skip one unless we want to try and fish for intel ourselves, but if anything, we'd probably end up right where we started).

I'm not suggesting skipping a night kill, I was suggesting skipping @heterodox's tracking action for now. I would feel uncomfortable risking two thirds of the team in one night.

if he is lynched and flips as PGO, we're golden

I agree, it would be quite harsh to have more than one PGO.

If we want to take a chance on getting rid of a hurtful power role, we need to aim at someone we think has it. Who seems like they're aiming to be "under the radar", whether it is being quiet so people forget about them or involved but neutral so they'd be perceived as vanilla?

I'm not sure yet, we have very little information, which is why I was thinking about preemptively taking out one of the potential leaders.

• Either he's getting really into his role, or he's shown his hand and hurt the town.

But, Captain's trying to posit that the only people to vote for him are scum. Most people would think that there aren't going to be 5 scum in a 13 player game (at least, not if there's only one scum faction), and in fact, only one scum has voted for him (and if anything, Yami's vote after mine looks like a bandwagon vote, so I may need to play a slight defense on day 2).

Don't defend unless you need to, which I don't think you will. Things are looking pretty good so far :-)

Haha, looks like fbmac, Captain and Yami are in a neighbourhood together. That's good, because they'll assume that one of them is a spy.

When they find out that Captain is innocent (after lynching him), they will assume that Yami or fbmac is a spy. That should take care of day 2 assuming that Captain gets lynched. He's one vote off now!

Don't defend unless you need to

I did say "may," but yes, it's currently playing out to our benefit. Need Xaade or Tsaukpaetra to vote, as I bet Fbmac won't. Either of you jumping on will be sketchy, unless it was down to the wire.

@DoctorJones said in Mafia V - Corporate Mafia: Mafia 1 Thread:

they will assume that Yami or fbmac is a spy. That should take care of day 2

I was just about to post about this. Do we want to let that play out on day 2, and go with trying to remove Abarker night 1?

I don't want to chance what Captain is claiming, that him dying today will put a spotlight on Abarker, but I do believe it will put one on Yami and Fbmac.

• Lets hope someone else throws a hammer vote up so Abarker feels compelled to finish the day.

I get the feeling cooties may have hurt our chances for the day to have ended already.

The hammer is down, let's decide who we're going to kill tonight. I think Yami and Fbmac will be the lynch waggon's main suspects tomorrow, so let's leave them alone. We could get 2 days of free lynching from them if we play our cards right.

My vote is to kill Abarker tonight.

• I will concur on aiming for Abarker. Who wants to go after him, you or me?

Also, then, who do we want @heterodox to track tonight? I assume we don't want him to skip the first night.

• Well, that all happened fast. Curious what Captain thinks could expose two Mafia members. (Two of the three? Not bloody likely; there's got to be more scum.)

Going to catch up on everything tonight. Will keep an eye on this thread to help decide night kill and tracking action.

• Now that I've caught up, all I have to say is: ... what in the shitting fuck, Captain. That is all. ("Bravo delta gamma alpha bravo niner"? What the fuck?)

RIP him. So, I'd be inclined to agree with you on going for a high profile player, DoctorJones; it's a classic move for a reason. However, I'm actually more inclined to say we should go for fbmac. He got called out with others but has kind of stayed under the radar despite. He was asked to provide information but claimed he didn't have anything.

I think his death would cause a lot of confusion and send town down a false trail, more so than abarker and Yami. But I may be overcomplicating it. Captain's flip will give us more information.

I likely will not contribute to DISCUSSION before the next day starts; there's not really a reason to given the hammer's been brought down and I think it'd be detrimental to my gameplay (it'd just look weird). But I'll be here. I hope that's not interpreted as "gambling with the GM"; I've just had a rough few days but I'm fully committed to playing this out.

• @heterodox said in Mafia V - Corporate Mafia: Mafia 1 Thread:

I hope that's not interpreted as "gambling with the GM";

One post per 24 hours in the main thread during the day phases and you're off the hook. I'm not judging the content - that's what the town is for.

You can't hold a poll in here, so once you've decided, one of you just summon me via an @mention with the name of the target and the name of the player carrying out the execution.

OK guys, so we've got two votes for killing Abarker tonight. I guess that means we'll go for him tonight.

I think either Chaos or myself should make the faction kill, as Heterodox is more valuable to us due to his ability. Chaos, would you like to do the honours?

I've got confirmation from you guys I'll summon Maciej and make it official.

@chaostheeternal said:

Also, then, who do we want @heterodox to track tonight? I assume we don't want him to skip the first night.

Captain did not flip PGO, so there's likely one still out there.

I don't know if we should risk tracking anyone yet. We could lose Heterodox to a PGO if we're unlucky. I'm happy to be overruled, but I'd recommend caution for now. I'd rather track someone once we've got an idea of who to be suspicious of. I'd rather still have the ability to track someone when we need to, than risk losing it when we don't.

Again, I'm happy to be overruled if you both feel differently about it.

I'd like our strategy to be to take our time, and make the least amount of "noise" possible.

@Maciejasjmj: Are the deadlines subject to change if the cooties keep affecting play? The site is pretty much unusable at the moment.

Also are we still currently allowed to post in the main thread? Or do we have to wait until day?

Once I've got confirmation from you guys I'll summon Maciej and make it official.

FTFM

@Maciejasjmj: Are the deadlines subject to change if the cooties keep affecting play? The site is pretty much unusable at the moment.

I think a day and a half will be enough to get all night actions in. If the cooties don't stop until then, I'll see about it.

Also are we still currently allowed to post in the main thread? Or do we have to wait until day?

@Maciejasjmj: I see you answered this in the main thread. Thanks. I hadn't spotted because of cooties.

@Maciejasjmj said in Mafia V - Corporate Mafia: Mafia 1 Thread:

I think a day and a half will be enough to get all night actions in. If the cooties don't stop until then, I'll see about it.

OK, fingers crossed that the cooties subside. I was thinking of RPing the storm,

The news outlets had been referring to the storm as "Storm Cootie", an odd name for a storm indeed. Regardless, the storm was mercilessly rolling across the city, and the resulting power surges were wreaking havoc on the servers.

but I think it may be a little on the nose ;-)

By the way, do club ded have access to live-spectate in this thread?

By the way, do club ded have access to live-spectate in this thread?

They should. No reply permissions, though.

OK guys, so we've got two votes for killing Abarker tonight. I guess that means we'll go for him tonight.

Still leaning towards fbmac but abarker is fine if we want to make it unanimous.

Since Captain didn't flip PGO I agree on tracking; don't know who I'd target anyway. Could be elite bodyguards... we just need to be able to make more informed guesses on game makeup.

Chaos, would you like to do the honours?

Yeah, I can do it.

I don't know if we should risk tracking anyone yet.

That's fine then. We can keep him on ice for tonight then.

Still leaning towards fbmac

Maybe we can make that our plan for night 2, unless the focus of the townies does turn on them on day 2.

Still leaning towards fbmac

The reason I suggest leaving fbmac alone is that he's in a neighbourhood with Yami and the late Captain.

People tend to assume that there is at least 1 scum in any neighbourhood, so I think the next lynch will be either Yami or fbmac. Therefore I think it's best to leave him alone and see if he gets lynched. If we're lucky, once they've lynched him or Yami, they will lynch the other one the following day.

• @DoctorJones Fair enough. It's unanimous then; I'll submit a no track action.

@Maciejasjmj: @ChaosTheEternal will perform the faction kill tonight, on Abarker.

@Heterodox will abstain from performing his track action. (I assume you need to hear this from him, but I'm submitting it here just incase the cooties prevent him from posting, because they're particularly bad right now, and he has limited access to the internet).

• @DoctorJones Got both.

Thanks Maciej. :-D

• No go on the kill. Either they have a roleblocker that targeted me or a rolestopper or doctor that targeted Abarker and stopped me.

Just have to hope there's no watcher on Abarker (if it was a doctor that stopped the kill) or a tracker on me (though a tracker would only see me going to Abarker, who is still alive).

Night 2 should probably not focus on Abarker, unless we want to consider night 1 a fluke.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.