[PBP] Mafia V - Corporate Mafia

• So, um... hi everyone *waves shyly*.

Welcome to Mafia, Part V: The Son of the Return of the Mafia: Corporate Mafia!

Everything you need to follow the current game is kept in this category: https://what.thedailywtf.com/category/31/current-game.

The rules

1. If by some miracle you’re able to post in this thread and aren’t a living player, do not post and report the situation to me. If you want to comment on the ongoing game or berate a player for being an idiot, PM me to apply to the official peanut gallery.
    2. Important: do not report posts in any faction/private thread. There are moderators playing, and reporting a post makes it visible to them regardless of permissions. Summon one of the site administrators instead.
    3. When in doubt, ask questions via PM. I may or may not answer depending on the nature of the question, but you can be sure all communication via chat will be kept private.
    4. Each player should have obtained a role card via PM. The role card contains:
    • Your flavor role, or “position”. This information has no gameplay value, and you can share it freely for roleplay purposes.
    • Your factional allegiance, or “employer”. You’re probably better off not sharing that.
    • One or more of your in-game roles, or “hobbies”. The roles have flavor names for roleplay purposes, but each player should have a link to MafiaScum wiki explaining what hides under the flavor.
    1. You are not allowed to quote your Role PM directly, or any other private communication with me for that matter. You can paraphrase it, you can make things up about your role, you can invent a role, but you can’t post a quote from your role card. There will be a publicly visible example of a role card of this game’s analogue of Vanilla Townie.
    • Flavor role part is excluded from this rule.
    1. You’re heavily encouraged to save your Role PM outside of the chat. NodeBB’s private messaging system is… not suited for long-time storage.
    2. This is a closed-setup game. Presence of any roles in the setup will not be confirmed or denied.
    • Except Jester. There are no Jesters in this game. That player who’s being an idiot is, in fact, an idiot.
    1. This is a non-bastard game. A full role PM will be revealed upon death unless otherwise specified, and the GM will not lie to you, deceive you, give you up, let you down, run around and desert you.
    2. This is a flavor game. There’s no guarantee that commonly-known Mafia terminology will be used.
    3. You can quit the game at any time, either by PM or by public announcement. Abuse of this mechanism to gain advantage will have severe consequences that will never be the same.
    4. Do not edit, bookmark or like posts. You shouldn’t be able to, but if you manage to find a clever way to do it anyway, Club Ded will not be amused.
    5. Do not contact other players or Club Ded members (to discuss the game - M.) outside of threads marked for this purpose, and do not discuss the game anywhere but in those threads. The Big Brother watches you.
    6. Do not encrypt, obfuscate or alter your posts, or use content which can be altered (outside-hosted images, oneboxes, etc.). Report all posts which infringe this rule via a PM to me.
    7. Do not post during the time between receiving your nighttime result and the day starting. This rule applies to all threads, not just the main thread.
    8. You have to post in the main thread once every 24 hours. And no, if for some reason I don’t do an attendance count on a given day, you’re not off the hook. Don’t gamble with the GM.

Since we’re running without automated parts this time, I’ll be doing a part-time job as the votebot. To vote, use the following commands:
    @Maciejasjmj vote @player
    @Maciejasjmj vote @no-lynch
    @Maciejasjmj unvote

The game will begin today at about 12PM PDT. You'll know when that happens when I post the intro text, obviously. Feel free to comment on the rules if anything's unclear before that.

Each player will receive their Role PM shortly.

List of living players:

@ChaosTheEternal
    @heterodox
    @cheater
    @Tsaukpaetra
    @Placeholder

Addendum:

Night actions which require you to target a player are not mandatory, but you're required to send a PM saying that you do not wish to take the action the given night. Failure to send a PM before the night deadline will be treated as a missed check-in and subject to one of the Club Ded-decided punishments, including forfeiting the action, randomly targetting the action, targetting the action in the most inconvenient manner possible, and having to speak like a pirate.

• @Mafia-Players

Role PMs have now been sent, together with appropriate group invites. If you haven't received a PM, access to a group you should have access to, or have access to something you shouldn't have access to, please let me know as soon as possible.

• Also, players who managed to somehow upvote my posts are reminded of Rule 11 and asked not to break NodeBB, since those upvote buttons shouldn't be showing up to you.

• Mafia V - Corporate Mafia

”Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise…”

@DoctorJones turns off the TV and puts the remote away. You’re not in space, although you all wish you were - instead, you’re stuck working for the development department of Initech, a multinational enterprise software company which, for the past few months, has been facing a steady downturn in both profits and employment.

Your team has been lucky enough to stay afloat as the wave of terminations and closures rolled over Initech, and despite all odds you’ve been able to bring results. But nothing comes without a cost, and watching your colleagues be sent home with no job and no perspectives has sunk your morale to an all-time low.

And to top it all off, you started today’s morning with your whole building crawling with police officers. As it turns out, @Maciejasjmj, your beloved head of department and the main force keeping all of you together, has been found dead in his office. From what you’ve managed to gather, the official cause of death was suicide - apparently, he couldn’t withstand the pressure anymore.

@Maciejasjmj was found dead on Day 1!

You're a Department Head! Almost ten years after you’ve first stepped through Initech’s door, you’ve finally climbed the corporate ladder to a respectable position of power. You’ve made it top priority to be fair to your employees, and in return they’ve never questioned their loyalty to you and the company.

You're working for Initech. You've been a loyal employee, always looking to give 100% to the company which nursed and guided your career, making you the person you are now. The news about a hostile takeover haven't scared you - you're more than happy to pay any price to keep your team on its feet and serve the villains their just deserts.

You win when all threats to the company are eliminated.

Your hobby is... nothing! You've been thinking and thinking, but it seems this job is all you have in life. Well, that and nighttime anime marathons, but you're not exactly sure how those would help you in your current predicament.

After the dust settles down and everyone leaves, you decide to gather together in @Maciejasjmj’s sad, lifeless office to pay your last respects to him. The place is a mess - personal belongings thrown around the floor, a mug of spilled coffee burning holes through various papers on the desk. You’re getting ready to honor your late boss with a minute of silence, when @ChaosTheEternal suddenly picks up a post-it note from the monitor.

“Hey, what’s that?” - he asks.

You all gather around @ChaosTheEternal - the only thing on the note is a hastily-written “1234”. Everyone’s eyes turn to the strangely untouched wall safe behind the desk.

“You think we should…” - @cheater asks hesitantly.
    “It’s not like he’s going to mind, is it?” - @abarker walks up to the safe, presses the buttons. and pulls a box out of it. You open it together and find an ancient-looking six-shot revolver, a large pack of bullets, and a handwritten note.

If you’re reading this, that means I’m dead. - @fbmac starts reading in an ominous voice. - I’m dead because I knew too much, because I finally found out the reason why our once-great company has been barely making its ends meet as of late.

The time is short, so I’ll keep the exposition brief. Umbrella Corporation, our greatest rival in the field of enterprise software that I’m sure you all know, has been planning a very hostile takeover of Initech since last October. Using methods you’re too innocent to know about, I found out they’ve been sabotaging the company from within, employing their people here - including this very department. I haven’t been able to establish the number of corporate spies they have, but hopefully it’s not enough to overwhelm the department… yet.

Do not go to the police - they’re firmly in Umbrella’s pocket, and I’ve probably already been written off as a suicide case or a freak accident. If you want to save the company, it’s all up to you. You have to fight them using their own methods, and not be afraid to do anything - even take a life. Attached you’ll find a revolver…

“Okay, nobody moves!” - @Captain suddenly shouts and grabs the gun from the desk. Before he can finish, though, @Placeholder lunges and tackles him to the ground.

“At least wait until we finish reading, okay?” - he says calmly.

“Ahem” - @fbmac continues. - ...and hopefully enough bullets to resolve the issue. I suggest you all stay in the office until the problem is solved, and I hope you decide together before pulling the trigger and don’t rush the things - while I understand it seems like an utterly insane idea to delay things in this manner, it’s the only way to save the company. They’ve already killed, they won’t be afraid to do it again - and I doubt they’ll care much about preservation of human resources once they take over.

Good luck, everybody. Initech is counting on you.

M.

PS. You’re probably better off not drinking the coffee here.

A mug shatters on the floor as the words of a letter hang in the air. You look at each other suspiciously, nobody daring to make the first move - you thought you knew each other well, but what can you really tell about all those people in the room with you? And to take a possibly innocent life… is it really what it takes?

Finally, the silence breaks…

It is now Day 1! The deadline is Wednesday, March 30th, 12PM PDT It’s Easter, so the day will be longer than usual, and there will be no checkins until day 2.

• Hey, at least I have the gun.

• Impossible Mission Players - A

Well that's just great!
    Not only is the business failing, but this news of sabotage just takes the cake! I've been so hopeful I could help improve things here, but this is almost too much...

• @Captain

Of course at a company, a white guy would end up with the gun.

Going to go on a mass shooting will you?

You're precious privilege being challenged?

@fbmac read:

PS. You’re probably better off not drinking the coffee here.

Well damn. Making coffee was one of my most productive things to do!

I guess I have to check to see what other energizing drinks we have, though I'm pretty sure Gatorade doesn't count...

Anyone want some hot cocoa? It might not still the nerves, but if we're going to be stuck here for a while I might as well help keep us all fed.

• @xaade

Who ever said I'm white?

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Captain said:

Hey, at least I have the gun.

Yeah, I think you are the least qualified person in the room to be holding that gun right now. What are you going to do, start shooting people before they get the chance to speak up?

@Tsaukpaetra said:

Anyone want some hot cocoa? It might not still the nerves, but if we're going to be stuck here for a while I might as well help keep us all fed.

One of the main reasons the coffee was so bad is because the water heater was decades old. Switching to hot chocolate isn't going to make it any better. Nobody ever has the money to buy a new machine. A customer complains about their queries being too slow and management pulls out all stops to replace the hardware. Someone like me notices rust flakes in the coffee they just stare at the floor and mumble something about how all caffeine is the same and how I have better things to be doing on company time.

@Placeholder said:

Nobody ever has the money to buy a new machine.

I do what I can with what is available. :sadface:

I can double-coffee-filter the water? Meh, conversation for later I suppose. Obviously I'm the only one interested in food for later.

• mod

@Tsaukpaetra said:

I'll take some!

Now, as Project Manager, it appears that I may be the one with most seniority left, so we need to come up with some tasks and make some assignments. Let's start with a quick scrum to brainstorm.

First: who has some ideas on what we can do to resolve this situation? And who thinks we should take the gun away from @Captain?

• mod

@Placeholder said:

Someone like me notices rust flakes in the coffee they just stare at the floor and mumble something about how all caffeine is the same and how I have better things to be doing on company time.

The iron's good for you! Helps keep your hemoglobin levels high!

• @Captain said:

Hey, at least I have the gun.

I sure hope it isn't actually loaded.

@Placeholder said:

the water heater was decades old

Knowing that, I'll get my caffeine fixes from canned drinks, then, like I normally do.

@abarker said:

And who thinks we should take the gun away from @Captain?

I do.

"Shit! So that's why my testing servers keep going down overnight...."

Jane scowls, watching @fbmac as he reads the note aloud.

"Damn. Damn damn damn. I heard corporate life was meant to be ruthless, but this ruthless? Murder? No, we're going to need to solve this problem immediately. Urgent priority. Everyone stay put while we try to sort this out, capiche?"

@abarker said:

And who thinks we should take the gun away from @Captain?

I for one would rather there not be opportunity for just anyone to go around killing people, but, sadly, I feel this is not the case.

Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't relinquished it back to the table, as now any particular death by gun will implicate him. Whatever, I'm not trained in these things, what do I know?

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

Obviously I'm the only one interested in food for later.

Food can wait. The lack of caffeine is a major crisis.

@abarker said:

First: who has some ideas on what we can do to resolve this situation?

Guess we could order from starbucks?

Anyone got an intern?

• Lets splurge a bit and get Dutch Bros.

@Yamikuronue said:

Anyone got an intern?

:wave: Why do you think I offered?

@Tsaukpaetra Great, I'll take a venti chai, six raw sugars, with sprinkles if the incompetents down the street can manage that. Also a banana nut muffin.

• @Tsaukpaetra

I'll take a big ER-911.

@Captain said:

Dutch Bros.

Order information incomplete, results may be unexpected.

@Yamikuronue said:

a venti chai, six raw sugars, with sprinkles
    a banana nut muffin

Acknowledged. Please note that due to unexpected travel restrictions, your order may not complete in the normal expected manner, and may take significantly longer to complete. Your card will not be charged until successful completion of the order.

@Captain said:

a big ER-911.

Order information updated. Please note that due to unexpected travel restrictions, your order may not complete in the normal expected manner, and may take significantly longer to complete. Your card will not be charged until successful completion of the order.

Expected completion of tasks: 6 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes.

@Tsaukpaetra said:

6 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes.

Those interns get lazier every year. Harumph.

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

Expected completion of tasks: 6 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes.

What is this, AT&T customer support?

@Captain said:

AT&T customer support?

Well, I have to get a different type of tech out to fix the issue. At least I can dispatch for that, rather than wasting more time sending a Premise tech to verify that nothing on your side or broken, which neither of us want to do (waste time, that is).

Fortunately, you don't need to be home for this technician to do his work, unfortunately since he's not expected to make contact with you directly the expected window of completion is between 8 am and 8 pm.

However, once they complete their repairs, your services will be restored immediately.

If you would like a status update on the dispatch, you can call back at 1-800-288-2020, and the robots should recognize you have a scheduled technician and relate up-to-date information to you.

Is there anything else.... I can... help...

What just happened? Hey! We gotta focus here, don't be distracting me!

• @Tsaukpaetra

I worked for IRU for too long. At least bonuses for U-Verse sales were okay.

@Tsaukpaetra said:

What just happened? Hey! We gotta focus here, don't be distracting me!

They say peppermint tea is good for post traumatic stress disorder. Would you like me to make you some? I stashed a water pitcher in a very secure and hidden location inside of the server closet for times such as these. It's only about 150 degrees in there so it won't be the best mug of tea you've ever had, but it's still better than nothing.

• @Placeholder said:

I stashed a water pitcher in a very secure and hidden location inside of the server closet for times such as these.

Good lord. Who could have anticipated times such as these? That seems suspicious to me.

All I know is I'm not going to meet my deadlines now, and I don't know if my project manager's going to accept "my late department head suggested everyone stay in his office indefinitely" as an excuse.

• mod

Come on people, focus! @Maciejasjmj is dead, @Captain has a gun, and we've got a hostile takeover coming! I don't know about the rest of you, but I say we take some sort of useful action!

Now, as quick as he was to take that gun, I wish to point my Finger of Suspicion at @Captain.

• @abarker

Nonsense. I'm going home and will telecommute. takes gun with him. See you C# losers later.

• mod

@heterodox said:

All I know is I'm not going to meet my deadlines now, and I don't know if my project manager's going to accept "my late department head suggested everyone stay in his office indefinitely" as an excuse.

Well, everyone on my team has been reassigned to a new project called Insurrection. Feel free to file for a transfer.

• mod

@Captain

As if that's a less suspicious?

• I can't control who you suspect. I can control who I shoot. And the first 6 people to walk in my door is dead.

• @abarker said:

Feel free to file for a transfer.

But who's going to approve it now that @Maciejasjmj is dead? D: This mess is going to take ages to untangle. We might as well all get comfortable.

• OK, my role is Undercover Boss.

• @Captain said:

OK, my role is Undercover Boss.

Oh! Can you approve my transfer to Insurrection then?

• You know, like that TV show. (So I'm fibbing...)

• I'm just a plain old software developer, just like you (I guess).

• @captain what do you mean with undercover boss?

• mod

@heterodox said:

But who's going to approve it now that @Maciejasjmj is dead?

True, true. On the other hand, who's going to process your PM's disciplinary reports?

• @fbmac

It was a joke. There's a TV show here in the US called "Undercover Boss" where a company's CEO or owner "goes undercover" and sees how everybody else does their job.

• @Captain I know the show, just got a little confused while reading that. Too much stuff happening.

At least umbrella didn't unleash anything like that T-virus on us, I hope that's just a myth I read on tabloids.

Anyway, if anyone starts acting like a zombie, aim for the head.

• @abarker said:

True, true. On the other hand, who's going to process your PM's disciplinary reports?

Ooh, hadn't thought of that.

@fbmac said:

Anyway, if anyone starts acting like a zombie, aim for the head.

And if you happen to see any Umbrella employees definitely aim for the head, because they don't have hearts.

@heterodox said:

@Placeholder said:

I stashed a water pitcher in a very secure and hidden location inside of the server closet for times such as these.

Good lord. Who could have anticipated times such as these? That seems suspicious to me.

You know how those hospitals have been getting hit with ransomware and having all their data encrypted out from under them? Or those jokers who name their kids ' OR '1'='1' --? Some of our systems are so old that we haven't actually updated them to defend against these sort of attacks. The clients refuse to pay to upgrade them because it would "hurt their bottom line".

That peppermint tea is the only thing keeping me from getting stomach ulcers every time one of our clients tries to play shoot the messenger.

• @Placeholder I'm glad I don't take calls from clients, other than changing some color or logo

• @Captain said:

Who ever said I'm white?

Well then... go on...

@Placeholder said:

Yeah, I think you are the least qualified person in the room to be holding that gun right now.

That's racist!!!

• @Captain said:

"goes undercover"

No one ever suspects the camera crew...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

"Fuck, I liked Maciej". Doctor Jones takes a second to say a prayer for his fallen comrade. In a hushed voice Doctor Jones speaks to Maciej. "What did you find out? What could possibly make you take your own life? Sure, the company has seen better days, but we can turn it around. In the worst case scenario, we get new jobs. We work in the tech sector for fuck's sake! There's loads of jobs!". He takes a moment as if he's expecting a reply, but of course, one doesn't come.

Maciej had a tendency to omit detail for things that he deemed "obvious". It was annoying, but endearing. As a Web Developer, Doctor Jones preferred more detail so there was less room for ambiguity.

I'm a raised voice he addresses the room, "Doesn't this seem odd to anyone else? Don't get me wrong, I love this company, but why is Maciejasjmj telling us to kill each other?! Doesn't that seem a bit extreme to you guys? Umbrella sucks donkey balls, but I don't want to kill any of their employees. I don't want to kill anyone. I just want to make websites, and watch Star Trek when I go home."

Doctor Jones turns to Abarker, "Fuck, how are we going to finish the sprint now? There's not going to be a company left to save if we don't get the product shipped on time. I suppose I'll mark all of the cards as blocked. We're going to need to speak to the product owner".

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.