Sitecore

• I am mainly a "full stack dev" which I believe if the popular term these day.

I worked for half of my professional life with Sitecore.

It is probably one of the best CMS systems available but such a fucking shit platform to work with for the following reasons:

• It overrides anything that is ASP.NET by default. This make things like custom handlers and modules more difficult to implement.
    • The docs are shite, they are pdfs on their site and they basically just say nothing helpful.
    • The only valid way to work with it, is to decompile the libs and just see what happening ad the docs are so poor.

• @lucas1 There were hints at work that my future might involve Sitecore. Thank you for making me dread it. At least this way I wont be experiencing too much crushing disappointment...

• @Nocha

It is for the most part standard .NET. It is just heavy as fuck to work with.

As CMS products go I think it is very solid. But it is very proprietary.

• :belt_onion:

@lucas1 said:

It is just heavy as fuck to work with.

This. Newer versions seem to be better at least. We have 8.1 on one set of sites and 6.4 on another. I only ever get to do .NET dev work on 6.4 and it's locked to .NET 3.5 unless we upgrade that shit.

For the most part, you can do regular .NET stuff and if you take the time you can get pretty sweet interfacing to the CMS side so you build reusable shit and never look at it again - the content editors/designers do all the busywork.

• :belt_onion:

@lucas1 said:

But it is very proprietary.

quite.

• @lucas1 said:

@Nocha

It is for the most part standard .NET. It is just heavy as fuck to work with.

As CMS products go I think it is very solid. But it is very proprietary.

I worked on one instance for a client while at a previous job. That basically sums my experience with it. My coworker and I even did the Sitecore sponsored training course and it still took us forever to figure it out. It wasn't so bad after I got the hang of it but there were still things I couldn't figure out how to do. I think the biggest one was loading a user control or not based on user role.

Anyway I put it on my resume last time I was looking for jobs, which is still floating around the ether somewhere. I regularly get recruiters hitting me up for sitecore jobs that pay crazy money and I still have no interest in going back to it.

• @fwd I briefly had to use sitecore at a job a long while ago. DID NOT care for it. I strongly suspect that the incompetent people who had been in there before me had screwed up their install of it pretty bad though. I would troubleshoot issues with some stuff with their senior dev, and it was clear she was just throwing stuff at the wall until one of the things worked. When I would ask WHY the thing that finally worked, had worked (but that same thing hadn't worked in a different instance of the same problem), she just shrugged and said she had no idea. She just had a list of things to try when those kinds of problems arose, and they usually fixed the problem.

Nope. Hard nope. I got out of there in record time o_O

• @fwd

I am doing one of those crazily paid contracts.

@Vaire The trick with sitecore is to run a decompiler and see what sitecore is doing.

The training course they give you basically is writing Repeater controls. The more advanced stuff like pipelines and processors which is needed you have to piece together from various MVP blogs.

• BINNED

The more I read stuff in this thread the more I'm reminded of:

Also, we need oEmbed support for the main site...

• Sitecore and Microsoft Dynamics 😨