IDEs still suck at file management

• NetBeans just crashed stopped responding made me kill it with fire Task Manager.

I'm doing Java ME project. I didn't like the name of class, so I changed it. Because Java is OOP, the filename must match the class name - and because it's 2016, IDE did it automatically. However, something must have gone wrong, because it asked me if I want to save the file I just saved. Whatever, I click "Save"... and it doesn't work. Nothing happens. I click "Discard" - same (non-)reaction. "Cancel" doesn't help either, and neither does close button in the corner. And because it's modal, clicking NetBeans main window's close button doesn't work either. Basically - the IDE was fully working, but fuck you I'm modal window you cannot dismiss and I won't let you do any work anymore.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Gaska said:

NetBeans

Well there's your problem.

Filed Under: IntelliJ Master Race, Eclipse if you really don't like JetBrains

• area_pol

My experience with IDEs in Java/Scala projects has improved for me when I started using Gradle build system.
    Now I know that as long as my build definition is ok, the project will build correctly.'

I do not need to rely on Eclipse's mysterious way of building the project / dependency management, because Gradle is doing those things. Also if I use Gradle's apply plugin: 'eclipse', Eclipse will most of the time be able to execute the build too.

So since the IDE's role is reduced to syntax highlighting and auto completion, I do not have to care if it is in the right mood to work.
    And the build definition is easy to store in git.

• @sloosecannon said:

IntelliJ Master Race

I had NetBeans already installed. So.

@sloosecannon said:

Eclipse if you really don't like JetBrains

I moved to NetBeans from Eclipse. So far, it works thousand times better (by which I mean, "Run" button actually runs my application).

Yeah, both NetBeans and Eclipse like to lose their crap disturbingly often.

IntelliJ does too, sometimes, but noticeably less often...

• Coincidentally so does Windows itself.

Not much more than about an hour ago I was trying to transcode a video file and I tried playing it in VLC and nothing would happen, so I closed VLC and then tried to delete the file and Windows just sat there with the deletion progress window saying that it was trying to locate files or whatever it is... not actually deleting anything; finding the file or something like that. Finally I pressed cancel and tried again and it did the same thing, so I killed the explorer.exe process and restarted it. Then I tried deleting it again and lo and behold it's gone instantly... until I press F5 and it's still there. Delete again, it's gone; F5 again, it's there again. Oh, and also, now Explorer is completely fucked because any attempt to open an Explorer window... My Computer, a folder, whatever... results in a "The service is unavailable" error message. undefined Unless I try launching explorer from a cmd window... that works just fine. Anyway, back to the stupid file. Time to break out the big guns... Process Explorer. I discover that dllhost.exe has an open handle to the file, and close the handle, ignoring the scary warning about system instability (pretty sure that Explorer producing errors means it's already unstable, thanks!). Now the file can be deleted and it's really gone. Explorer's still fucked. Time for a reboot.

• I shortcut that process. As soon as I see that delay, I know something has an open handle - fuck it, reboot. Faster than trying to track it down.

• SockDev

http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker/ 😉

I would have linked direct to the vendor's website, but Chrome gave me a Big Red Warning; odd, since that site's never been an issue before...

• @dcon said:

I shortcut that process. As soon as I see that delay, I know something has an open handle

In my experience, it's usually Windows itself, trying to generate an icon or index the file for searching.

• @anotherusername said:

In my experience, it's usually Windows itself, trying to generate an icon or index the file for searching.

Or a virus scanner. As I said, rebooting is faster and better for my sanity.

• SockDev

For me, it's normally Windows Defender taking several minutes to scan a 10kb text file

• @RaceProUK said:

http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker/ 😉

Looking at some of those comments - no way! Another of those I'll-install-whatever-I-damn-well-please-no-matter-what programs (some toolbar). And people are saying it triggers malware alerts too.

• SockDev

It never used to be that way; I've been using it for years without issue 😕

• @Gaska said:

Because Java is OOP, the filename must match the class name

The pedant in me must point out that this implication is false.

I don't like people mixing concepts with implementations.

• SockDev

@Gaska said:

Because Java is OOPtotally and utterly retarded, the filename must match the class name

Every other OO language I've ever used doesn't care what the filenames are, nor what the folder structure is; only Java has this ❄ requirement that everything be laid out in a very exact manner

• @anonymous234 said:

The pedant in me must point out that this implication is false.

I meant Java is the language of OOP fanatics, made by OOP fanatics, used by OOP fanatics, so all the coding standards are made by OOP fanatics - and OOP fanatics hate when a file name doesn't match class name. Stupid, but standard, and I tend to stick to standards.

• @RaceProUK said:

It never used to be that way; I've been using it for years without issue 😕

I don't think there was a legitimate download available for quite some time, when I installed OS on this machine I picked [url=http://lockhunter.com/]LockHunter[/url] instead.

• area_pol

@RaceProUK said:

Every other OO language I've ever used doesn't care what the filenames are, nor what the folder structure is; only Java has this ❄ requirement that everything be laid out in a very exact manner

It is convenient if you want to read the code, because when you know the class name and package, you can easily find the code.
    Better than having to blidnly open files or do a full text search to find when some method is implemented.

• @RaceProUK said:

totally and utterly retarded, the filename must match the class name

The only OO language I've really used is Java so it's just normal for me but I don't see why you wouldn't do that anyway?

Use chocolatey

Err, that's intended for the guy you replied to. DISCOOOOOOURSE

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.