Pressure to upgrade to Windows 10 ratchets up. AGAIN.

• So MS has dropped any pretense at asking permissions, cajoling or tricking people into upgrading to W10. Seems with this latest update, they just fucking do it. No choice about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/4a5edx/psa_windows_7_computers_are_being_reported_as/

https://np.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4a0asv/warning_windows_7_computers_are_being_reported_as/

• "I needed to set up my department's bronchoscopy cart quickly for someone with some sick lungs … when I turned on the computer it had to do a Windows update."
    • "Saw this message box that said something like 'Your update is ready! Restarting and installing in 13 minutes.' If I made myself a meal or watched TV, I would have had Windows 10. Oh, and the best part is how they hid the Decline button in the More Info button."
      If you're a sys admin and thought you're safe from these consumer level tricks, think again. Microsoft has left a little turd for you as well.

Oh, and if you're a sys admin and thought you are safely tucked behind your update server... think again. MS has left a little turd for you as well.

Microsoft has provided the tools and documentation necessary to avoid these pop-ups, but the company is clearly going behind the back of administrators by displaying the following prompt if a user clicks on the Get Windows 10 icon that has been newly installed in the system tray:

Personally, since I had already lubed up my ass and jumped in bed with W10, I can only watch in fascination. The only thing this screwed up for me was my dual-boot configuration and some file associations, all of which is widely reported by other users as well.

W10 has some good points, but whoever is pushing their business side.... seriously dude, you need to stop. You're not doing MS any favors. Also, we are entering the lawsuit territory here, with some of these small business who couldn't get their work done because of this.

• I don't get why Microsoft made such huge changes, and then made the OS free to upgrade. Why not go with a rolling release model and slowly change Windows 7 into Windows 10?

Also, I've seen enough of Windows 7 niceness to be strongly thinking about buying myself a license and virtualizing the thing at home. But the whole Windows 10 situation makes me nervous and less willing.

• FoxDev

: huh IE Edge can handle PDFS? it must.... whey else would it register itself as the file handler....
    /me clicks a PDF only to be shown a white screen
    : oh. you don't handle PDFs....
    /me installs a PDF viewer and moves on

[weeks later]
    : Edge.... why did you register yourself as my PDF handler? you still can't handle them and i have this other one i want anyway.
    /me changes the registration

[weeks later]
    : EDGE! PISS OFF! YOU CAN'T HANDLE MY PDFS AND I WANT TO USE THIS OTHER APP INSTEAD!

[this morning]
    : WIndows... why is ASUS Companion installed on my Microsoft Surface tablet? and why is it apparently a "most used" application?

• My "most used apps":

All of these (except one, guess which!) I have started between 0 and 1 times. Ever.

• @Captain said:

I don't get why Microsoft made such huge changes, and then made the OS free to upgrade.

I think your own sentence says it all.

• kills Dumbledore

@cartman82 said:

guess which

Ooh, is it calculator? To count how many times you've opened the others?

• Good. I am going to love to see the bitching and whining this produces.

• Don't you think silently upgrading to a whole new OS with a whole new UI is the height of shitty UI?

• @blakeyrat said:

Good. I am going to love to see the bitching and whining this produces.

Yeah! Hahaha, stupid users, expecting they control their own computer. Hilarious!

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Good. I am going to love to see the bitching and whining this produces.

But you'll still make angry posts about having to read them?

• @Captain said:

Don't you think silently upgrading to a whole new OS with a whole new UI is the height of shitty UI?

My laptop (fucking VAIO) can't be upgraded from Win7, because the GPU is special and AMD drivers don't work with it, and Sony didn't bother updating theirs for Win8+. Will that stop the update? WHO KNOWS.

• @CatPlusPlus said:

My laptop (fucking VAIO) can't be upgraded from Win7, because the GPU is special and AMD drivers don't work with it, and Sony didn't bother updating theirs for Win8+. Will that stop the update? WHO KNOWS.

I'm in the same situation. I disabled their original W10 upgrade service. But every windows update is a gamble, what sneaky trick will MS pull next.

• FoxDev

"I needed to set up my department's bronchoscopy cart quickly for someone with some sick lungs … when I turned on the computer it had to do a Windows update."

Erm... why is vital medical equipment running Windows?

• @RaceProUK said:

What should it run? MacOS?

• @cartman82 said:

Oh, and if you're a sys admin and thought you are safely tucked behind your update server... think again. MS has left a little turd for you as well.

Nah, if you're running your own update server and managing which updates you want to have installed, this won't bite you (unless you tell it to install that one, I guess...). The nag only appears if you're letting Microsoft's update server push out whatever the hell it wants:

domain attached systems that lack administrator rights, but are connected to the WSUS update server

It's good to know, I guess... I've had to override the domain's update server and use Microsoft's, temporarily, because the domain's update server tried to upgrade IE through a series of updates that didn't work/exist anymore (I think the update it wanted to push was no longer available because it'd been replaced with a different update), so it was the only way to get them upgraded off IE8. If I find any more like that, I'll have to be careful that the MSOSX update doesn't get installed.

• FoxDev

@cartman82 said:

@RaceProUK said:

I was thinking a Linux of some description, but even that's probably not ideal; really, it should be a dedicated system.

Or it can run Windows and never be connected to the Internet, so it never gets updates.

• BINNED

@cartman82 said:

I vote BASIC! For lulz!

• @RaceProUK said:

I don't think a bronchoscope counts as "vital medical equipment".

• @Captain said:

I don't get why Microsoft made such huge changes, and then made the OS free to upgrade.

They said, in regards to the price of Linux : you get what you pay for.

Then they made Win10 free.

Conclusion ? 😉

• FoxDev

OK, maybe not 'vital', but certainly important.

• I am really starting to hate Windows 10. I've had two ruined weekends in a row. The first weekend, I woke up early and had a few hours to get some stuff done before my friends showed up. I powered up my PC, and suddenly 6 hours of Windows Updates using the Windows install interface that made it look like a fresh install!!! I did catch up on some reading, but dangit I had plans!

Then, the next weekend I was traveling and brought my laptop. This laptop gets powered on maybe once per 6 weeks. I started working on one of my Node.js apps, and had absolutely terrible performance like I'd never seen before. After an hour or two of debugging, I couldn't find anything wrong with my code, when I finally discovered the Windows Update Service was eating 95% of my CPU (this laptop is a dual-core 1.2 GHz "i7"). I could not find out how to pause this, and ended up getting no real work done that day either.

• works for me

• FoxDev

Both issues that have been around since Windows Update debuted in XP ;)

• Well I suppose, in that it's revenue generating and if it's not available you have to reschedule appointments which could be annoying?

The bigger problem is healthcare IT suuuuuuuuuucks. Which is also this problem, because that hospital's shitty IT department doesn't have their hands on the update reins.

• What are you making in Unity, Ben L?

• ♿ (Parody)

@RaceProUK said:

Both issues that have been around since Windows Update debuted in XP 😉

Now that's dedication to backwards compatibility!

• Perhaps, but somehow I've never had these problems until Windows 10. If older versions did this crap, they did it in an unobtrusive manner. Windows 10 goes out of its way to waste my time.

• Why did you buy an i7 laptop you use less than 10 times a year? Goddamned, moneybags. Why don't you just have your servant bring you another one.

• That's what Armok Vision runs on.

• Many years ago it got a lot more use than it does now. Plus I bought it used. And it's not really an i7 despite the label, even contemporary desktop i3's and Celerons had more CPU power.

• FoxDev

Billions of PCs, trillions of possible hardware combinations... it's going to go wrong somewhere at some point. It's just luck of the draw.

• So if you're playing DF like this:

Uploading...

[img]http://i.imgur.com/aD74Fxh.png[/img]

Why the bejeezus are you posting videos that are just text characters?

Ugh. I give up. At least Discourse could have a "images ain't working fuck you" error message instead of spinning at 100% forever.

• I and most of the Win10 users I know IRL have had continuous bad luck of the draw then. My friend at a small commercial pig farm lost his workstation for an entire day because Windows 7 automatically upgraded to Win10, without asking, over their 1 Mbps DSL or whatever.

• Because it doesn't currently support everything - items, farms, and some types of furniture aren't supported.

• I would have also accepted, "it looks like ass."

Being 3D doesn't (necessarily) make something appealing to look at.

• @Captain said:

I don't get why Microsoft made such huge changes, and thenonly made the OS free to upgrade for limited time.

FTFY.

Make any Windows 7 and 8 licenses a permanently valid Windows 10 license, and all problems would be solved. It's not like the vast majority of home users were ever going to buy a standalone Windows 10 license.

• BINNED

The part I like the most is how it actually inserts the "Uploading..." text into your post for everyone else to see.

• @ben_lubar said:

works for me

It's probably because I disabled Cortana and other spy shit, so this is a silent "fuck you" retaliation from Microsoft.

• For actually life-critical systems, obviously you want some kind of safety-oriented OS for embedded systems (there are several: VxWorks, L4...). I really really doubt Microsoft wants you to use Windows on a machine that will kill someone if it stops working.

For the rest of stuff (think things like oscilloscopes), I don't care if they run Windows, Linux, or TempleOS, as long as it's an OS designed for embedded systems. You know, one without automatic upgrades and antiviruses and other shit desktop OSs have. And one that will not stop working in 5 years when the company stops supporting it.

Windows does have embedded editions, with lots of features and stuff, and it seems to me that if you only need to run a single Windows program on a computer forever then that's the best choice, but apparently no one ever uses them.

And if you're actually making a program to control a device and just want an OS to handle the drivers for you, I don't see why you wouldn't take Linux. As long as it boots, loads your program and outputs pixels to screen, you're all done. You don't need your scanning tunneling microscope to be able to run Microsoft Word.

• A few years ago, there were a lot of annoyance running Ubuntu on a laptop, now it seems completely reversed.

• See, Apple doesn't have these problems. They don't have to pretend they're giving you a choice. They'd just say "you'll install the new OS X, and you'll LIKE IT".

But seriously, I kinda understand why Microsoft did this. I know many computer-illiterate people who will never read a single message. Upgrading to Windows 10 is a good thing for them, and there's no other way it will happen.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@anonymous234 said:

See, Apple doesn't have these problems. They don't have to pretend they're giving you a choice. They'd just say "you'll install the new OS X, and you'll LIKE IT".

I had to intentionally upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan. It didn't just happen.

• @anonymous234 said:

You don't need your scanning tunneling microscope to be able to run Microsoft Word.

But it needs Solitaire, how else are you supposed to spend time while it scan the patient ?

• Notification Spam Recipient

Meanwhile I'm sitting on my Windows 10 LTSB version that doesn't upgrade anything ever. Sure it has the same bugs as it ever had in he beginning, but nothing new like this has happened.

Then again, It also never had Cortana or Edge either...

@Tsaukpaetra said:

Windows 10 LTSB version that doesn't upgrade anything ever

I'm not sure even the non-LTSB version of Windows 10 had much to worry about when it comes to sneaky upgrades to Windows 10.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@loopback0 said:

Windows 10

Awe darn, you saw it!

I was hoping to spark up some flames of hate, but I'm not underhanded enough to scratch that itch.

.... :giggity: Engine, why are you interrupting my perfectly normal sentences and injecting garbage? What does that even mean?!

• @anonymous234 said:

See, Apple doesn't have these problems. They don't have to pretend they're giving you a choice. They'd just say "you'll install the new OS X, and you'll LIKE IT".

Doesn't do that for me either. I turned of a few switches somewhere, and now it never ever asks me to reboot for updates. I don't even remember which OS version I'm running, or the last time I rebooted it.

@accalia said:

Edge.... why did you register yourself as my PDF handler? you still can't handle them

I wonder what I've been viewing PDFs in with Edge since I upgraded, then?

Oh, the viewer doesn't have much functionality, but it works if all you need to do is look at the document.

@CatPlusPlus said:

My laptop (fucking VAIO) can't be upgraded from Win7, because the GPU is special and AMD drivers don't work with it

I no longer remember how to do it, but that's not true--Sony requested AMD write their installer to block it for you, but there's a way to unpack the installer and run it anyway. I had to do it with a Dell years ago.

• There are many documents with nonstandard features that only work in Adobe Reader and maybe a couple other readers.

I actually had to use a PDF with Javascript-based forms to submit some data to the local government last year :facepalm:.