:fa_apple: Apple is an excellent example of a company that publishes forward looking roadmaps

• Interviewed a Product Manager candidate today and one of the questions was about "what makes a useful roadmap, to us (the vendor) and the customer?"

He leaped straight in with Apple; "Everyone knows what Apple is going to produce and their published roadmap hypes the products before launch - that is how we should manage a roadmap!"

"Eh?" I responded? "Apple don't publish any roadmap and all of the excitement is based on hype around rumors - it's an example of being successful despite having no roadmap whatsoever"

He argued and argued that Apple's "roadmap" was public, inclusive and successful.
    Am I being TRWTF here? Apple should be presented as the anti-roadmap company. right?

(it's clearly been a successful approach for them - I'm not arguing that, simply that Apple are not a great example of a company with a coherent published roadmap)

• area_can

If by "roadmap" he meant "get ready to buy a new iPhone next year", sure...

• @bb36e said:

If by "roadmap" he meant "get ready to buy a new iPhonei-Whatever next year", sure...

FTFY

• I believe their roadmap is "your iDevice is obsolete as soon as we get the next version out"

• @skotl said:

Am I being TRWTF here? Apple should be presented as the anti-roadmap company. right?

That's exactly the thought I had reading the topic title! I'm sure there is an internal roadmap but it sure isn't public!

• A quick resolution to that argument would have been asking him to demonstrate what he's talking about. I'm pretty sure he'd come up empty handed.

• @cartman82 said:

I'm pretty sure he'd come up empty handed.

Nah, he'd have come up with something. It just wouldn't be anything remotely describable as a roadmap in any commonly accepted definition of the word - but he would insist utterly that it was and you would not be able to convince him otherwise.

Probably best not to bother, really.

• @Scarlet_Manuka said:

Probably best not to bother, really.

Which is what we did. Or didn't do, depending on which one is syntactically correct.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.