It was a fun run.



  • Now with no singular thing we can agree to hate on...



  • There's always Fox.



  • Now that I no longer get my news from Fox.... everyone is free to hate on it.

    Oh.... wait...



  • @xaade said:

    Now with no singular thing we can agree to hate on...

    We can still hate on old favorites from afar. And I'm certain we'll bitch about NodeBB, which is about to have a massive surge in quality. You<!--STFU-->r welcome NodeBB community.



  • I think Fox is an OK guy.

    Though I haven't actually read any of the arguments he gets in. But you people just seem to be far too easy to anger so I'm assuming he's not that bad.



  • @anonymous234 said:

    I think Fox is an OK guy.

    If I truly felt Fox is a terrible person, I wouldn't speak to his thoughts at all. I wouldn't debate his ideas.

    I think he's a caring person, which is why I'm trying to show how you can approach caring about people in different ways.



  • @xaade said:

    I think he's a caring person, which is why I'm trying to show how you can approach caring about people in different ways.

    Heavily (incredibly!) misguided (at best).



  • He's doing the feminist stack thing. He cares, but he seems to act like oppressed people deserve special rights as compensation.



  • Along with his definition of "oppressed people" and "oppression" being highly inaccurate, yes.



  • In 2016, the climate suggests that white trans aren't as oppressed as black people.

    So, I hope trans issues are ready to be ignored again.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @boomzilla said:

    Your welcome

    Whose welcome?



  • @asdf said:

    @boomzilla said:
    Your welcome

    Whose welcome?

    Yours.



  • The raw's. :fa_code:



  • So.... The last wtdwtf thread on discourse.

    Im already feeling nostalgic. When i wake up tomorrow morning, everything will be different.



  • @cartman82 said:

    When i wake up tomorrow morning, everything will be different.

    The announcement as posted says 19 March, not 9 March.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    Damn, of course there's a comment in the raw the one time I don't check it.



  • @HardwareGeek said:

    19 March, not 9 March.

    Damned European dates...



  • @cartman82 said:

    When i wake up tomorrow morning, everything will be different.

    Then you will wake up the morning after that and the morning after that until it is the 19th and we're on NodeBB. At that point, Discourse will stop producing strange new bugs.


    Filed under: because it's NodeBB's turn!



  • @ben_lubar said:

    Discourse will stop producing strange new bugs.

    This seems very unlikely. The strange new bugs will no longer be inflicted on us, but there will continue to be strange new bugs.



  • @ben_lubar said:

    Discourse will stop producing strange new bugs.

    No it will continue to produce strange bugs....

    Somewhere a backup of the system will come alive and try to absorb our new forum.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @ben_lubar said:

    At that point, Discourse will stop producing strange new bugs.

    Not true, they'll just be happening where we don't care.



  • @HardwareGeek said:

    The announcement as posted says 19 March, not 9 March.

    Ok, so we have 10 days.

    10 more days with Discourse.

    And then, everything will change. No more bots. No more cootie storms and isitme... website. No more meta/bugs bitching.

    Also what features will we lose? The lounge? Drag & drop uploads? Convenient avatar CDN?

    What horrors await us in the dark unpredictable future?

    I'm already feeling nostalgic for the good old days of Discourse.



  • @cartman82 said:

    No more bots.

    They'll return.

    @cartman82 said:

    No more cootie storms and isitme... website.

    We'll probably keep servercooties.com going because raisins.

    @cartman82 said:

    No more meta/bugs bitching.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    I feel that picture isn't conveying the message you think it does and it creeps me out.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    I just want to point out that this is a real thing I just posted

    Filed Under: And the sad thing is: I am only 50% joking



  • @DogsB said:

    it creeps me out

    You made her sad now:

    You're a mean person.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @boomzilla said:

    Your welcome NodeBB community.

    + :heart:



  • @RaceProUK said:

    You're a mean person.

    A mean person is a particular kind of an average person.





  • We're sailing from Brazil to Guinea?



  • @anonymous234 said:

    I haven't actually read any of the arguments he gets in.

    Me neither. I was just piling on because I'm a jerk.



  • So, when do we get the massive front page article about all the DiscoWTFs we found?



  • As I've said many times before the only good thing about Discourse was that it wasn't Community Server.



  • @xaade said:

    No it will continue to produce strange bugs....

    Somewhere a backup of the system will come alive and try to absorb our new forum.

    Maybe we can keep a copy of the forum around, and whenever somebody is feeling like things are just a bit too good to be true, they can visit the backup and have their unfounded optimism crushed.

    It'll also help against any withdrawal symptoms that may arise from not having list items renumbered and random md5 hashes appearing in posts.


  • mod

    @FrostCat said:

    Not true, they'll just be happening where we don't care

    No! No!

    Mommy, make the scary dog go away!



  • @cvi said:

    list items renumbered

    Sorry, this still happens with NodeBB. The only difference is the numbers start with the first number you typed, instead of always starting at 1.



  • @NedFodder said:

    The only difference is the numbers start with the first number you typed, instead of always starting at 1.

    That alone makes NodeBB 478% better than Discourse



  • @RaceProUK said:

    That alone makes NodeBB 478%N-1 times better than Discourse

    Because one item will be numbered correctly?



  • How often do you need a numbered list that goes 1, 4, 7, 12, 16 outside of an episode of Sonic Boom?



  • @RaceProUK said:

    How often do you need a numbered list that goes 1, 4, 7, 12, 16 outside of an episode of Sonic Boom?

    Let's see...

      • Locke
      • Reyes
      • Ford
      • Jarrah
      • Shephard
      • Kwon

    Okay, screw the numbering, but what the hell happened out there at the end?



  • @RaceProUK said:

    We'll probably keep servercooties.com going because raisins.

    Would it make sense to add graphs for meta.d there?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Actually, having Servercooties for NodeBB would be a positive, because in the event that we ever manage to cause it, we'll be able to diagnose precise start times.

    And with Mongo under the hood, I expect this is entirely possible.



  • In the end, the real problem with DiskWhores wasn't the software, it was the author. While Discourse was a pretty (overly) ambitious project to update the forum ecosystem, and certain to have a lot of flaws early on, it was the fact that @wood refused to listen to the users that made it an irredeemable clusterfuck. Even the most egregious and fundamental problems could have been fixed if Jeff wasn't convinced that he knew better than everyone else, and that the bug reports were all nothing more than whiners saying that it wasn't the same as what they were used to.

    OK, so having WTDWTF - a notoriously belligerent community that gives Something Awful, /b/, OSDev, and /. a run for their money in the Nastiest Forum sweepstakes - as one of the testbeds was pretty foolish, too, but even that would have been survivable if he hadn't taken such a hostile tone regarding criticism. For all his pontificating about Civil Discourse, he would have done better to show some civility himself.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @ScholRLEA said:

    OK, so having WTDWTF - a notoriously belligerent community that gives Something Awful, /b/, OSDev, and /. a run for their money in the Nastiest Forum sweepstakes - as one of the testbeds was pretty foolish, too,
    A notoriously belligerent community that also happens to house the highest concentration of the top working software developers. It's actually a fucking inspired choice - effectively free, high-quality testing and feedback.

    Which was promptly disregarded because raisins.



  • @Weng said:

    Which was promptly disregarded because raisinswe kept finding serious flaws in the software which threatened to break through the veil of shiny to expose the rotten core beneath, and Jeff and co. didn't want their fragile egos shattered when it was revealed that their product is shit.

    FTFY



  • @Weng said:

    @ScholRLEA said:
    OK, so having WTDWTF - a notoriously belligerent community that gives Something Awful, /b/, OSDev, and /. a run for their money in the Nastiest Forum sweepstakes - as one of the testbeds was pretty foolish, too,
    A notoriously belligerent community that also happens to house the highest concentration of the top working software developers. It's actually a fucking inspired choice - effectively free, high-quality testing and feedback.

    Which was promptly disregarded because raisins.

    QFT. Having a hostile community full of people who actually know their shit means you get lots and lots of solid, no-bullshit feedback, if you bother to listen to them and can put up with their vitriol. He never did listen, but instead decided to get angry about the vicious attacks on His Baby, so it was worse than no testing at all.

    Thing is though, he was all about Civilized Discourse, so you'd think he'd be disinclined to step on a hornets' nest like he did. He should have expected the hostility given the forum in question and taken it into account. That he didn't was the foolish part.



  • I got this in my inbox yesterday:

    Even the word has been corrupted for me!



  • @NedFodder said:

    Sorry, this still happens with NodeBB. The only difference is the numbers start with the first number you typed, instead of always starting at 1.

    Guess we'll feel right at home then.

    What about the md5 hashes? Has anybody asked the authors if there's a remote possibility of those occurring? Can we get somebody to write a plugin that reintroduces those?



  • @ben_lubar if it's posible, that gif should be in the countdown page



  • @ScholRLEA said:

    QFT. Having a hostile community full of people who actually know their shit means you get lots and lots of solid, no-bullshit feedback, if you bother to listen to them and can put up with their vitriol. He never did listen, but instead decided to get angry about the vicious attacks on His Baby, so it was worse than no testing at all.

    And the truth is, we were pretty civil when we went to meta.d (after a somewhat rocky start, admittedly, but looooong before the Great Banning).


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.